Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
One particularly interesting thing in the postgame....

In the police station, apparently Dad-Asgore used to be the chief of police, until some unspecified incident that you "Don't need to read any more about". Things that make you go hmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
lol he has an attack where he turns into Eva 01

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I started version 1.003 (off of itch.io) with a controller and got the crash reading the manual in the castle town. In the config menu, all the controller button prompts were ?, even though the normal buttons all worked. When I manually bound all the commands to their normal buttons so the prompts weren't ? any more, I didn't get the crash. I guess manually binding your controller buttons will let you use the controller without crashing.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Queen is a Queen Valentina reference right? She's even followed around by a dumbass bird.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
is this loving final fantasy x music

what is happening

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mukaikubo posted:

One particularly interesting thing in the postgame....

In the police station, apparently Dad-Asgore used to be the chief of police, until some unspecified incident that you "Don't need to read any more about". Things that make you go hmm...

it's child murder I guarantee it

e: got up to the berdley boss battle when it's just you and noelle. Loving it so far

Roobanguy posted:

e: birdley also rules.

lol I screenshotted the same thing
same thing

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 18, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
double post

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

it's child murder I guarantee it

e: got up to the berdley boss battle when it's just you and noelle. Loving it so far

lol I screenshotted the same thing
same thing

I think having Asgore, a cop, extrajudicially kill a child would be a little too charged.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I wonder what happens with the giant robot if you aren't doing a pacifist run

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I can see why Toby talked about Peanuts a bunch during the stream. Ralsei doing the Charlie Brown dance was sure a thing

I already love the poo poo out of The Queen. She's amazing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I already love the poo poo out of The Queen. She's amazing.

I can't get enough of her

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh cool the power flickered when I was near the endgame and now my computer won't boot.

gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
marathoned it. early thoughts:

the Queen might be the funniest character toby has ever written. there is no reason she should work. she's a Homestuck troll with ADHD. but everything she did was a delight, all the way up to the boss

i moused over the early spoiler that berdly died and figured it wasn't true because a) i'd finished his boss fight at that point only for him to show back up minutes later, and b) he is literally too terrible to die. it's like the queen said, there's nothing wrong with him per se, he's just the worst. and i could never figure out his wind attack

interesting how they played with expectations here re: Ralsei. he's a lot less endearing and significantly more ominous throughout - funny how losing the hat and walking with that prim folded-hands pose makes him come off as way less precious even though his behavior is mostly unchanged. i definitely thought he was angling to have kris and susie stay in the dark world permanently, but then when the party looks like they might actually go through with it he has the biggest freakout of the game thus far. and then kris...yeah

the stuff with susie and noelle was sweet and all but i think it was the low point of this chapter dialogue-wise. noelle stammers her way through every sentence and susie is tongue-tied in moments of vulnerability, so their conversations became way too bumpy with um's and ah's. noelle herself was fine, except for when she was choking out berdly, at which point she briefly became sublime

funny how spamton started off incredibly unnerving from his very first conversation and kept getting worse with every new scene, though nothing topped the bit where someone is begging us for help through him somehow and then he cuts them off and says "i think they were talking to you," looking directly out of the screen. i didn't find his fight nearly as difficult as jevil's, but the leadup was way stronger

asriel used the knockoff controller and gave kris the real one. asriel repeatedly ran to their pastor in tears because he killed yoshi. god bless and protect him wherever he is

asgore's brief appearance had me cringing into a singularity. whatever the reason he left the force, i doubt it was something as extravagant as hurting kids - right now my best guess is that he somehow punished kris for one of their shenanigans in his official capacity as a cop, and it spiraled out of control. it'd certainly explain why toriel loathes him, given how protective she is of kris

still unclear what susie's deal is, other than more confirmation that she's dirt-poor. her pica seems to be an actual preference instead of something she picked up for lack of other food, though

and yeah, kris. clever, making us let our guard down with pie theory only for that to happen in the end. why'd they slash toriel's tires first, of all things? we also now know that they can barely stand to look at other humans. and there's one questionable line from bratty: "living with azzy made you weird." could be nothing, but was kris somehow known to the town before living with the dreemurrs? what is this kid's deal? maybe we'll get to find out in another three years

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 18, 2021

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Guys.... about Ralsei...

Are we sure- Are we REALLY sure- Ralsei's on the side of Good, here? I am looking at "wait how did he know about the things in the classroom", and "wait, if he's a darkner, why didn't he turn to stone in the other world", and "wait he sure did aggressively ramp up the cutesy this episode", and "Is there ANY other evidence or justification for the fountains covering the world in darkness being a bad thing given how much happier the main characters seem to be there" and I'm not saying I'm sure he's going to end up the main villain... I'm just saying, y'know, it's making me Think.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Deltarune fried my PC I'm going to lose my loving mind

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

Guys.... about Ralsei...

Are we sure- Are we REALLY sure- Ralsei's on the side of Good, here? I am looking at "wait how did he know about the things in the classroom", and "wait, if he's a darkner, why didn't he turn to stone in the other world", and "wait he sure did aggressively ramp up the cutesy this episode", and "Is there ANY other evidence or justification for the fountains covering the world in darkness being a bad thing given how much happier the main characters seem to be there" and I'm not saying I'm sure he's going to end up the main villain... I'm just saying, y'know, it's making me Think.

ralsei doesn't turn to stone because he was born out of the central fountain, so he's basically a fit-all template no matter where else the dark world spreads. he also doesn't seem to know why he knows the things he knows, which is plenty suspicious and all, but right now all signs still point to his altruism being genuine no matter how cloying it gets

though kris' behavior in the end here suggests that he was either badly misinformed about the nature of the prophecy or has some other factor influencing his behavior. ralsei likes everyone, but he borderline-worships kris. it doesn't jibe at all with his fear of the Roaring and kris' seeming eagerness to bring it about

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I just binged all of chapter 2 in one and sitting and I have to say, I knew this chapter would probably be a step up from the first one, but God drat I was caught off guard just how much the game has improved.

The combat is so much better since Toby took to heart the criticism of the first chapter.
The world was much better designed.
And so many fantastic character moments, I can't put into words how hard I'm cheering for this band of dumb idiots.

And by the look of things we are barely a third of the way into the full game.
Which means there is only one thing too do, build a cryostasis chamber and seal myself inside, emerging every few years to play another chapter.

Oxxidation posted:

and yeah, kris. clever, making us let our guard down with pie theory only for that to happen in the end. why'd they slash toriel's tires first, of all things?

I was wondering that too, I think Kris knew it would freak Toriel out and she would insist that Susie spend the night there, this way she would be there when Kris opened the fountain, though for what reason I have no idea

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

I was wondering that too, I think Kris knew it would freak Toriel out and she would insist that Susie spend the night there, this way she would be there when Kris opened the fountain, though for what reason I have no idea

yeah that tracks. they'd probably want to have their friend with them when the dark world eats everything

one other thing i forgot to mention - spamton's parting words to kris about "cutting their strings" cause them to have a screaming meltdown when susie brings it up afterward. they are really, really not happy with us influencing their actions

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm not sure if I like the revelation that the King was just bluffing and Lancer would've just bounced away unharmed if he'd been thrown off the castle. The first chapter did a good job building the King up in his first appearance and I didn't really like this one making him harmless the second you talk to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

If Deltarune fried my PC I'm going to lose my loving mind

If there was a power flicker that is significantly more likely to be responsible.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wait, Deltarune can flicker my power?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Aw beans I guess I did the "throw away the ball of junk" thing at the end of my playthrough of chapter 1

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ImpAtom posted:

If there was a power flicker that is significantly more likely to be responsible.

I don't know if it was a power flicker because the computer was the only thing on. First I thought it was a fake crash like in Undertale

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

beating the secret boss, you sure just traumatize kris fighting that thing huh?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It's neat whenever a story pretty much telegraph's a plot twist in a way that makes it less surprising to even a remotely attentive watcher but then delivers on said plot twist way earlier than anticipated

Oxyclean posted:

Huh, in-game has a chapter select with 7 chapter slots.

Guess it was just placeholder.

would not be surprised if Toby has decided to spread out the rest of Deltarune over 2 releases instead of all at once (also wouldn't be surprised of the release of chapters 6-7 was free, though unusable to anyone who didn't buy 3-5)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grand Unifying Theory of what the gently caress was that ending. You probably don't want to read this if you haven't finished the game

loving of course Kris had a save file in the Dark World, they were down after knifing the floor to create the fountain and they almost certainly knifed a hole in the computer lab floor after the end of Chapter 1. And now, Kris has knifed a hole in the living room floor when Toriel and Susie can't leave. But I don't think this is happening out of malice, no, I think Kris really, really wants friends now that Asriel is gone and forcing adventures to happen is their way of doing it.

Every journey to the Dark World gets Kris new friends and the ability to hang out for hours without having to care about anything else but fun times that make everyone like Kris and each other. The adventures can't keep going if you fail, and if you die and quit it says that the land is covered in darkness, which as we know starts the end of the world. Kris seems to be able to remove the soul at any time so I don't think they have any objections to you destroying the fountains.

Kris stabs holes and Ralsei gets to be around people, Susie learns to be nice, and Noelle is able to stand up for herself (and I guess Berdly learns to be less of a jerk). But most importantly, Kris gets to be someone that people actually want to be around. Don't get me wrong, Kris's family loves them and there are definitely people in town that do as well, but Kris isn't special. Kris is a human in a town of monsters and is completely outshined by Asriel. Kris is weird, withdrawn, and kind of cold and if monsters weren't generally nice by default they'd have a much harder life around humans (maybe that's why they aren't with their biological family?).

Let's be honest, Kris is this universe's version of Frisk. Among other things I don't think they're Chara because Asriel is in college and this universe's Chara would be around that age as well while Kris is still a teenager. Not to mention that they have the same skin color as Frisk, but that's obvious. They're Frisk, and they're a Frisk that never went anywhere. There's no Underground, no Barrier, and no kingdom of monsters to save. There's no dusty knife and no kingdom of monsters to kill (Kris has LV 1, after all). I don't think Frisk ever resisted the player's control because they never wanted to, you lead them on a grand adventure where being the only human in a underground full of monsters made them the special savior/killer of all monsters and one of the most important people in history if you played their cards right. Kris can't fall down a hole in a mountain to start an adventure so they have no choice but to make their own hole and set a kingdom of toys/computers program/etc free and be the coolest most important person ever.

But why trap Toriel and Susie in a new Dark World? Well, how else can Kris show Toriel that they're just as good and important as Asriel. And hell, they even brought along their new friend that thinks they're one of the best people in town!

This is what lack of Undertale does to a child

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 18, 2021

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everything about this chapter owns.

Toby and co please get Chapters 3-5 done as soon as you can.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
drat I got some sort of out of bounds error checking my recruits.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

some very good susie faces in this imo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Maggy posted:

drat I got some sort of out of bounds error checking my recruits.

doing pretty much anything with a controller will cause your game to crash, it's something in the config files. a patch should be coming soon

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i can't BELIEVE im going to have to go through and 100% chapter one again on this computer just because there's the smallest, most infintesimal possibility that I might get different dialogue in a few places because of it. but that's what I'm going to do.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lmao kris would drop yoshi in the pit to make asriel cry

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

doing pretty much anything with a controller will cause your game to crash, it's something in the config files. a patch should be coming soon

Yeah I heard, but I'm just using mouse and keyboard all the way.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Impermanent posted:

i can't BELIEVE im going to have to go through and 100% chapter one again on this computer just because there's the smallest, most infintesimal possibility that I might get different dialogue in a few places because of it. but that's what I'm going to do.

does anyone have a rundown of the stuff to do there, for my replay? i know there's getting the secret egg and putting it in the fridge as well as the more obvious fight jevil and try to spare every single monster, but i'm probably missing stuff over the last three years

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Super secret chapter 1 easteregg for chapter 2: If you talk to the original starwalker, he joins you in chapter 2 as an item, like lancer

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Good game imo. Bad Kris imo

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
drat that was good. Just... so loving good.

Now to replay the whole thing and do a genocide run and find the secret boss.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mukaikubo posted:

Guys.... about Ralsei...

I don't think this holds up at all. For one thing, the evidence for the fountains covering the world in darkness is pretty solid, because Kris opens one and then the world gets covered in darkness. :V The whole "the villain is secretly your friend, manipulating you the whole time" schtick doesn't work here because Kris is very much not doing what Ralsei wants, when they act on their own volition. Think about what that reveal scene would actually look like - Ralsei says "I'm secretly evil!" to which Kris immediately replies "yeah, that's I was sabotaging you the whole time"? We, the audience, already know that second part, so it'd be totally pointless.

Basically twists for the sake of having a twist are dumb and Toby's better than that.

overmind2000 posted:

Grand Unifying Theory of what the gently caress was that ending. You probably don't want to read this if you haven't finished the game

I'm still :ohdear: at the possibility that Kris isn't a strict equivalent of Frisk, because that means Frisk - and Chara - are out there in this world. And however they get deployed in this story, it'll be devastating.

That said, there's one thing I'm curious about : how did Kris find out about the Dark World in the first place? Did they know about this prophecy before they started opening fountains? Do they just not care about the possibility of titans and everything, or is that a goal they're trying to bring about? The fact that "the angel's heaven" is something the heroes need to banish, and their family is devotees of the angel, is another possible motivation for Kris here. Catti briefly mentioning in the endgame that she and Kris were both into occultism might also explain where they learned about all this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress i can't believe i forgot all about the original starwalker

that was one of my favourite gags from chapter 1 too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Queen Boss Fight might be my favourite so far, it owns so much.