Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Impermanent posted:

maybe this is one of those alternate timelines sans was going on about

It's very obviously this, especially given that Sans literally winks at you when he says you've never met before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Well if the game apparently checks the date then I'm definitely going to play through again tomorrow and see if I can go hang out with Papyrus.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

I do wonder if something was up with the room graphics getting more and more simple as you progressed in the 'underground'.

Also, yeah I clocked that ^^^

Something I realized as well: descriptions and stuff do seem to get more and more laconic the deeper you go in the underground. Like, past a certain point the save points stop having descriptions, did anyone else notice that?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok I know it's pretty much just a jumble of letters and thus hard to remember, but the prince's name is Raslei!

E: gently caress i got it wrong too, this kid's name really is impossible to remember

It's Ralsei

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 31, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Neat thing that I almost missed because I was pressing buttons so fast: The first save point already has a save profile, "Kris", which gets overwritten with your chosen name when you save and stays that way

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Neat thing that I almost missed because I was pressing buttons so fast: The first save point already has a save profile, "Kris", which gets overwritten with your chosen name when you save and stays that way

Also, all your saves have over 100 hours clocked already.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 31, 2018

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
aw i was all excited but i guess my old save stuff is on the old computer that broke :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

aw i was all excited but i guess my old save stuff is on the old computer that broke :(

Don't worry about it. It's currently looking like it doesn't matter at all, everyone has the same playthrough and ending regardless.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

NewMars posted:

Also, all your saves have over 100 hours clocked already.

Actually, I think it's based on however much time you've put into Undertale; my first save in Delta Rune clocked in at about 23 hours and some change, which sounds about right for the amount of Undertale I've played on Steam.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VJeff posted:

Hot Take: Susie and Rasiel are going to make Toby so much loving money.

Somewhere out there Asriel's going "Oh, he gets a doll and I don't? What a rip off :mad:" Assuming they're not the same person :tinfoil:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, I think it's based on however much time you've put into Undertale; my first save in Delta Rune clocked in at about 23 hours and some change, which sounds about right for the amount of Undertale I've played on Steam.

It may be random then. Mine says something insane, like 153 hours, when I played through undertale once.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

Somewhere out there Asriel's going "Oh, he gets a doll and I don't? What a rip off :mad:" Assuming they're not the same person :tinfoil:

Your mom got a doll, Asriel, you just didn't want it hard enough. :colbert:

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I've yet to play through the first game fully and it's clocking me at 125 hours. I assumed it was minutes

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Procrastine posted:

Don't use the three-person 60% act, use the 20% act. Sometimes it'll raise jevil's attack for a turn but that's chaos! Suzie defends, Ralsei defends or heals. Get the spincake if you haven't already. Stock up on darkburgers at the shop. Get both revive mints. Past that, it's mostly just learning his patterns, though.

alright thanks, I finally beat the little fucker. does this unlock anything other than his armor?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just finished. It reminded me a lot of MGS2

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
I'm really liking what I've seen so far, and I really hope we'll get more relatively soon. Mostly because I really want to see how this is going to end and stuff. I'm kind of really liking Susie and some speculation about where I think things are gonna go:

I honestly think the story is largely gonna be about Susie's growth and how her time in the dark world ultimately impacts her through meaningful friendships and interactions, and considering the Chara-like possession that seems to be going on, I think it's gonna be all about Susie's growth and her having to save Kris from the Chara-like influence. At least, that's kind of where I'd like to see this whole thing go, since I think it'd be a good way to carry over a lot of the themes of Undertale while being something that's distinctly different. Especially considering the whole "Your choices aren't gonna matter", I think what IS gonna matter is the choices Susie makes.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Over There posted:

Just finished. It reminded me a lot of MGS2

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Your Computer posted:

might be chapter 1 onward (re)released.

I hope not, I kinda hate games that release a demo with a large section of the game that just plays the same in the final release. It really takes me out of a game. Although with how much it seems I missed in this demo that might not be a problem.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So my favorite character was Susie and I think the thing I liked is that the way the character talks about her, you assume she's a total prick and as you play, it becomes clear it was just a tough guy act. Then when you get back and explore the town at the end and get the chance to talk to the kids again, it turns out that the worst things Susie has done are "eat chalk" and "kick a ball through a window". She's probably never actually beaten anybody up, kids were just being kids and spreading rumors. It's a nice touch that gives some context to her character.

I kinda liked her more with the hair covering the eye, though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VJeff posted:

Hot Take: Susie and Rasiel are going to make Toby so much loving money.

That's not a hot take, it's just a fact.

Heck, if fangamr puts out a T-shirt with Rasiel, Susie, and Kris on it I'm going to buy it. I already love these dumb nerds.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Found out about this today out of nowhere when I got home from work, played it through, and it was quite enjoyable! Can't wait to see where it goes!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
That goddamn dog is going to make so much money that he'll be able to buy Andrew Hussie's house and no longer be stuck in the basement.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This game is made to gently caress with you if youve played undertale

damnit toby
you absolute fucker

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NewMars posted:

That goddamn dog is going to make so much money that he'll be able to buy Andrew Hussie's house and no longer be stuck in the basement.

I never woulda thought Radiation would be the successful one and Hussie would fade into obscurity.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
So are we going to have to call him Sans Deltarune from now on?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I liked this. It was fun and interesting.

Whatever it was. What was it.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 1, 2018

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So before the game completely pisses me off is there point in beating the secret boss? I mean I know it will give you something, but how big is this something? New ending? Or just ***lore***?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
For anyone who has played this and done the ffv four job fiesta, I was a little excited that the game seemed to put a berserker (Susie) into your party in a game where you don't want to kill anything

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bholder posted:

So before the game completely pisses me off is there point in beating the secret boss? I mean I know it will give you something, but how big is this something? New ending? Or just ***lore***?

Just lore about the boss, and a piece of armor that boosts the magic stat a bunch.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bholder posted:

Pretty sure it's just extra content like the secret bosses in UnderTale.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This game is made to gently caress with you if youve played undertale

damnit toby
you absolute fucker

When I got to the training dummy my first instinct was to try and replicate the "be nice to it" option from Undertale. Which surprised me with a Ralsie going "Oh....you want to be nice to it? That's an option too, let's talk about ACTing". But for most of the game there was an inkling that trying to play it like Undertale was just going to leave me in a trap. I thought the final boss fight was that trap but it just ended up being an endurance test instead of a "THIS ISN'T UNDERTALE AND SOME WILL NEED TO DIE" slap.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Impermanent posted:

maybe this is one of those alternate timelines sans was going on about

Alternate realities, blinking out one after another. That's you, isn't it?

My personal thoughts are that Gaster is using his unmoored-from-timespace issue to create vessels, imbuing them with lost souls, and sending them out to try to find a way to push himself back into reality. The 'dark world' is either a localized alternate reality or a space between, given all the card/chess stuff scattered around when you get back to your reality. And much like Gaster, sans and You the player, Chara is a dimensional constant. 'You' are a reflection of your vessel's better nature, their ability to do good, while Chara is your capacity for violence for violence's sake. And when you stop playing, when you go to bed, he comes out.

Overall I fuckin love this game and want to throw all my money at it.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Also a unisex name that really freaked me out when the game went "no, your name is kris".... which it is

gender aside, I fully support this theory and it would be amazing

Hey, fellow Kris! I, however, picked Kris as my character name. Never realized the game was meant to discard that along with the character I created. When I got to Rudy and he said "Krismass came early" I thought Toby had just made a bunch of puns for semi-common names :(

Iymarra posted:

I kinda hate that one near-the-end recurring character in town is a bit of a jerk Sans, as I thought he might've actually given me his number. Asks me to look after Papyrus then calls me an idiot baby? That's beyond a prank, and into straight mean. I realise this is things tossed around a little but people still seem to have the same personality, mostly.

If you talk to Sans after making that call and choosing "idiot baby", he says he won't hang out with you because you might compete for his social niche. It's still the same ol' sans :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
smh if you didn't spend the tutorial hugging Ralsei :colbert:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

At this point I'm just expecting Episode 2 to be released tomorrow exactly 24 hours after this lol.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Kris and Susie suddenly being dressed in adventuring gear after falling into the Dark World feels like an important detail. I'm not much for theories, though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Chara is a dimensional constant. 'You' are a reflection of your vessel's better nature, their ability to do good, while Chara is your capacity for violence for violence's sake. And when you stop playing, when you go to bed, he comes out.

I never quite understood that interpretation of Chara, they struck me more as being a child that learned from your actions and was a reflection of them for good or bad. They seemingly weren't that nice to begin with but the knife doesn't come out in the original unless you really, really set the worst example possible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

overmind2000 posted:

I never quite understood that interpretation of Chara, they struck me more as being a child that learned from your actions and was a reflection of them for good or bad. They seemingly weren't that nice to begin with but the knife doesn't come out in the original unless you really, really set the worst example possible.

Asriel says Chara hated humanity and jumped at the chance to use Asriel’s powers against other people and was only stopped by Asriel physically holding them back then dying to stop them. The Genocide route isn’t about teaching Chara to be a monster, it’s about validating their existing worldview.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
random thoughts

-I kind of feel like Ralsei is Asriel "prime" just because he's so insistent on sparing everything (having learned from Frisk), and at the end he says "I guess this isn't a world where everything can be solved without violence" or something to that effect. Also, because he says he's been living alone in the darkness for a long time, which is exactly what happened to Asriel/Flowey. His unused journal says the pillar of darkness gives his body form, could be why he's not a flower anymore?
-Everyone else has different houses, but Sans's shop is just Grillby's and he and Papyrus still have the exact same house from Snowden, down to the smallest detail.
-Who's this knight guy they keep mentioning in the dark world? He put the king in charge but that's all I remember. Did I miss something?
-The "light world" has the characters of Undertale but not the story, and the dark world has the story of Undertale but not the characters.
-Of all characters to look like Gaster, why Rouxls Kaard? I guess he's the dark world version of Gaster, in that he has no bearing on the story at all.
-Also, the shopkeep heavily implies Jevil ran across Gaster or someone similar and that's why he went insane.
-Kris's side of the room has pretty much nothing on it, whereas Asriel's is super decorated. Also why the gently caress does his family not notice the huge-rear end bloodstain?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tetracube posted:

-Of all characters to look like Gaster, why Rouxls Kaard? I guess he's the dark world version of Gaster, in that he has no bearing on the story at all.

I think his look and the way he acts with regards to traps/puzzles is supposed to be a meta joke that the real Gaster is more like Papyrus than Sans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tetracube posted:

random thoughts

-Everyone else has different houses, but Sans's shop is just Grillby's and he and Papyrus still have the exact same house from Snowden, down to the smallest detail.

Mettaton also lives in a house that looks just like his/Napstablook's.

quote:

-Who's this knight guy they keep mentioning in the dark world? He put the king in charge but that's all I remember. Did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything. At the moment, we don't know anything else about The Knight except that they overthrew three out of the four kings and left Lancer's dad in charge.