Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh damnit it does do something with the undertale save? I lost mine when I switched computers.

EDIT: I tried redownloading from steam and it did not get a cloud save either

EDIT2: Anyway played for a bit but have to leave for work.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
The Undertale steam page doesn't mention cloud saves.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So with all these warning, this game won't gently caress up my computer, right?

Toby is not trolling the world by releasing a crypto miner?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The Undertale steam page doesn't mention cloud saves.

It seems to have it enabled (at least on the settings) but it doesn't have my old full pacifist save. :negative:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Snake Maze posted:

Just finished it myself. This is apparently just Chapter 1, so... maybe a demo for the full game??

As for the connection to Undertale it definitely seems to be a different timeline or something, not just a straight sequel. Maybe a world where monsters were never banished underground?

edit: I'm really curious what this apparently does with/to your undertale save, I played on a different machine so I didn't have one.

I get the feeling Toby is doing a Mario-esque ”characters as actors” type thing where familiar characters play new roles in a different narrative.

Also ”Currently holds a HUMAN soul” in the menu is rocking me with possibilities on where that might go drat

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Bholder posted:

So with all these warning, this game won't gently caress up my computer, right?

Toby is not trolling the world by releasing a crypto miner?

So, Windows Defender runs a check of the program against a few algorithms, including the publisher, number of app downloads and others. Since this is a new game from an indie studio not verified through a service or program, it trips the notification.

Happens with some itch.io games too, like FAITH.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Nina posted:

I get the feeling Toby is doing a Mario-esque ”characters as actors” type thing where familiar characters play new roles in a different narrative.

Also ”Currently holds a HUMAN soul” in the menu is rocking me with possibilities on where that might go drat

On a similar note, I noticed that the menu is the classic undertale one whenever you're in the 'real world', but changes when you go 'underground'. I feel like that probably means something but hell if I know what.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the battle system more or less the same as the first game (that is, you have a choice between resolving things peacefully and straight up combat)?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
People are saying that they got a completely different ending when they have a saved genocide run

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Larryb posted:

So is the battle system more or less the same as the first game (that is, you have a choice between resolving things peacefully and straight up combat)?

Sort of, it builds on it a lot. You have multiple party members, tp that builds up by defending or dodging close to bullets, and multiple party member ACT commands, but it still ends with either killing or sparing the enemy.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So has anyone found Broken Key C? I got B but can't figure out where the last piece is

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

So has anyone found Broken Key C? I got B but can't figure out where the last piece is

Take the door back to the first area and solve the card suit puzzle to the north.

Speaking of, the boss behind that locked door is a real fucker, and I'm not sure it was worth the effort to beat him.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Waffleopolis posted:

Where is Key B? I'm bad at these kinds of vague hint sidequests.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Infinity Gaia posted:

Where is Key B? I'm bad at these kinds of vague hint sidequests.

Invisible walkway to the south in the section where you dodge the dancers moving in circles

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Just got finished watching my brother playing through. We forgot there was a genocide save on this machine. :stare:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Filthy Haiku posted:

Just got finished watching my brother playing through. We forgot there was a genocide save on this machine. :stare:

That seems to happen regardless for whatever reason

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Awww yeah :getin:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I did 99% of genocide in Undertale but didn't enter the throne room after killing Sans but looks like that counts for this game. I wonder what the non-geno ending is.

I'm going to finish the trilogy of posters and ask: where was Key A?

e: oh that happens for everyone?

Also the new battle system was cool

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Procrastine posted:

I did 99% of genocide in Undertale but didn't enter the throne room after killing Sans but looks like that counts for this game. I wonder what the non-geno ending is.

e: oh that happens for everyone?

Also the new battle system was cool

I’ve never played Undertale on this computer and got the Chara bit. It just happens

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Took me 4 hours to finish it and talk to everyone and look at everything etc.

what the heck was that ending? I've only done 100% pacifist in Undertale and did 100% pacifist in this, and yet the final scene is all murdery?

e: other than that it owned, I really enjoyed it

big spoiler image:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 31, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dang it :(, does anyone know if the saves from the save editor for Undertale works with this game? If not, I will bang out a true pacifist run over the weekend and start a new file.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Looking for broken key A.

Found Key B in the circling dancer area of the forest, in the south-most island on a secret path and know that Key C is hidden past the gate near the beginning with the room puzzle.

This game, man...

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Procrastine posted:

Talk to the first shopkeep after talking to the thing behind the ?????? cell door. There'll be a new topic to talk about.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

They added grazing; I guess Zun rubbed off on Tobi.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Character creation spoiler: Naming yourself Gaster instantly crashes the game.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Cakes... are also my enemy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God dammit, of all days to have a long work day AND a GM session AND an early doctor appointment in the morning. gently caress my life.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

milk moosie posted:

God dammit, of all days to have a long work day AND a GM session AND an early doctor appointment in the morning. gently caress my life.

I have a party to go to tonight :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Over There posted:

I have a party to go to tonight :(

:(:hf::(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I get that this is telling a different story, but (ending spoiler) I don't think I like that they're pulling out the first kid/"chara" at the end there. The genocide route of Undertale had really strong meta-commentary but it always annoyed me how people would interpret it literally and talk about this ~evil malicious force~ chara and other deep lore. It kinda ruins how brilliant it is, y'know what I mean? I'm just worried that this means Toby is going to play that poo poo up for spoops instead of what made it good.

probably worrying over nothing though

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i feel like this is just a new story, and also probably played up the ending stuff for a Halloween release

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finished it.

OH HI CHARA :stare:

Your Computer posted:

I get that this is telling a different story, but (ending spoiler) I don't think I like that they're pulling out the first kid/"chara" at the end there. The genocide route of Undertale had really strong meta-commentary but it always annoyed me how people would interpret it literally and talk about this ~evil malicious force~ chara and other deep lore. It kinda ruins how brilliant it is, y'know what I mean? I'm just worried that this means Toby is going to play that poo poo up for spoops instead of what made it good.

My thoughts are this:
Kris is Chara and Frisk combined. The heart that got ripped out at the end is Frisk's heart, and this happens regularly given that if you inspect the cage, it's all beaten up at the start of the game.

Frisk can mostly keep Chara in check, buuuuuuuuuuut...

One feels that a certain brother is missing because Frisk wasn't able to at one point.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Your Computer posted:

Because nobody really plays the part they play in Undertale I have high hopes that it’s not really going to be what it seems. If anything the best outcome would be this not having any relation to Chara at all but somethin visually evocative to build up excitement

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those who have completed it, is this a full game or just a preview of something else to come? Also, any direct references to the original outside a few returning characters or does it seem more like an alternate universe story rather than a direct sequel (I don't mind spoilers)?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finished the game. I have several questions.

Larryb posted:

So for those who have completed it, is this a full game or just a preview of something else to come? Also, any direct references to the original outside a few returning characters or does it seem more like an alternate universe story rather than a direct sequel (I don't mind spoilers)?

It is a demo. It's a chapter based game, and what we got was chapter 1. Also it seems more like an alternate universe sort of story.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm reading it as a sequel. If you go as far south as you can in the town map after school, you find a pair of doors that quite clearly lead underground.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Larryb posted:

Feels like a full first chapter. I got the vibe that toby might be releasing this episodically? Who knows really...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nina posted:

Because nobody really plays the part they play in Undertale I have high hopes that it’s not really going to be what it seems. If anything the best outcome would be this not having any relation to Chara at all but somethin visually evocative to build up excitement
that's true, I guess we'll see

iospace posted:

My thoughts are this:
Kris is Chara and Frisk combined. The heart that got ripped out at the end is Frisk's heart, and this happens regularly given that if you inspect the cage, it's all beaten up at the start of the game.

Frisk can mostly keep Chara in check, buuuuuuuuuuut...

One feels that a certain brother is missing because Frisk wasn't able to at one point.

I mean, I guess this would make sense meta-narratively if you played both pacifist and genocide, but it feels really out of place for me who only played true pacifist. The reason I don't like the chara stuff is that everyone treats chara as a distinct character when the game specifically asks you to fill in your name and that's the name given to this kid. It's to make you feel bad. All the horrible poo poo? It wasn't Frisk, it was you. That's what makes the meta-commentary of genocide so powerful. Treating it as a capital C character named Chara just ruins that whole aspect and that's why I feel it's out of place here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Xinder posted:

Feels like a full first chapter. I got the vibe that toby might be releasing this episodically? Who knows really...

People found that the game looks at the date and time for whatever reason upon bootup. And there are quite a few references to "tomorrow" within the game. Maybe Toby will have something more to say by tomorrow?