Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

"The Baby Is You" was actually Mozart's first composition as a child
not as good as the original composition by Antonio Salieri "The Baba Is You". unfortunately after Mozart's death people assumed that he was responsible due to the song's similarities. even today, people speculate about what he meant when he said "Mozart Is Not Dead" on his deathbed.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I think my current read of the game is going to be something like the following:

I think what's being setup here is a sort of Stanley Parable-esque situation. Undertale was a commentary on how players typically play in JRPGs and what grinding really meant in a world where the monsters were actual characters. Deltarune on the other hand is going to be a commentary on how players typically make decisions in JRPGs given that you control an actual character that may or may not agree with the choices you make for them.

Since we know data is being shared between save files I have a feeling the game is actually going to roll back around to the idea that your choices don't matter in a more meta-narrative way. Sure in Chapter 2 you can make a decision whether or not to do the b-side route, but what happens if a boss in ch.3 requires you to do both the b-side route (to get the thorn ring) as well as another separate pacifist run? This sets it up as a sort of mirror of how Undertale functions since Toby knows that most players are going to go pacifist until they get to an ending.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

Noelle's almost certainly going to be coming back to the party later, so you can just yoink the ring from her then. (Also if you back out of the alt route after getting the Thorn Ring, you actually can't get the chapter 2 shadow crystal without beating Spamton on another file, because you can no longer access Spamton Neo at that point.)
the good news is that the shadow crystals are one of those items that are shared across save files along with the boss items

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
i'm glad that this confirms our good buddy Spamton G Spamton will in fact be joining us for the ride and will be around to keep Jevil company

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

on further consideration, i'm more certain that ralsei's intentions are on the level, because it'd make the really unwholesome thing about him stand out even more. he's a sympathy trap. the kid is laser-calibrated to be appealing to players, especially ones coming from undertale, but it's become increasingly clear that kris doesn't particularly like them at all - and probably for the same reason the players do, ie his resemblance to asriel - and our well-meaning hugs and compliments to him are probably extremely unpleasant from kris's perspective

ralsei being a secret villain would undermine that. his "flaw" isn't that he has some nefarious agenda up his sleeve, it's that he's a perfectly sweet and decent guy that kris doesn't want to be around, while most players take every opportunity to shove them together while going "NOW KISS"

e: and it gets worse when you take into account ralsei's obvious infatuation with kris, if you stay dead silent during the boat ride he's still struggling to come up with ways to spin it positively. given the perspective tricks he's been playing on "us," i wonder if he's trying to suss out how much of his interactions with kris are actually of kris's own volition
i think to add onto that there's a sort of really interesting contrast when you compare how Kris treats Noelle when they're goofing around. The reactions Kris can take and the way they can act ends up being a lot more genuine than most of their reactions to anything that has to do with Ralsei. If I recall a lot of the choices you have w/ Ralsei tend to deal with how 'you' react (in the ambiguous way) versus how Kris reacts.

In many ways Ralsei is the exact same sort of sympathy trap as Asgore. The difference is that you get much stronger indications that people don't like Asgore for the act he's doing, including from Kris.