Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nyaa posted:

Trip Report: I decided to look up if chalk eating is toxic: This leads me from chalk eating addiction to calcium carbonate as a dietary supplement that gives an orange burning fire when burned (I was thinking if it's useful for dragon breath, but it's not combustable).

Almost chemically identical to Tums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Captain Invictus posted:

the thing I love about accidentally dying to toriel is that she is mortified that she accidentally killed you and if you're watching her there's like a 1 frame long shot of her realizing what she's just done and covering her mouth with her hands before you die

I like to think in this timeline she absorbs the player's soul, goes off to demand the other 6 from asgore and opens the gate, then goes back to being a hermit in the ruins while everyone else leaves.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Only one other person noted it and it was instantly shot down as irrelevant, but the dust on the remote and tv can not just be "not used".

Every single time dust was referenced in Undertale, even when seemingly innocuous, turned out to be a reference to a dead monster.

I'm starting to suspect that Asriel "going to college" is more of a "went to a big farm up State" and is at the heart of a certain divorce.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Oxyclean posted:

Then why would there be anything about him coming back? Keeping Kris out of the loop? It doesn't feel like that subject is particular sensitive when it comes up.

It would create parallels with Noelle & Dess.

But I do almost think there is something that feels suspicious about Asriel's absence.

We've never seen a toriel lie to protect a child she underestimates from a harsh truth before, right?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Doesn't the dialogue between queen and ralsei imply that darkner leaders have some kind of intrinsic duty to make lightners happy?

It gets glossed over, but implies something a little bit hosed up deep down.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The SOULs flowey absorbed ultimately controlled him as well. Probably not too much to read into that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

YggiDee posted:

Those were other people's souls though. Presumably this is Kris' own.

That is one hell of a load bearing "presumably" given his own interaction with it, our ability to control it when it's outside his body, its ability to talk to Noelle when Kris is down, and that it selects all characters actions in combat, not just Kris

It's in him, but I'm not entirely sure it's his.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Dr Pepper posted:

At this point the list of major characters who aren't into Susie is shorter.

Yes a list of length zero is pretty short, yeah.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

rko posted:

This naturally wordy tumblr post makes some really good points about Noelle and December “Dess” Holiday that I haven’t seen raised in the thread, particularly the part about how loving sad it is that Noelle searches “December Holiday” enough for it to heavily show up in her parts of the Queen-generated Dark World.

[/spoiler]

Oh gently caress. She's missing. Not dead. Missing. You don't search for dead people.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Ultimately, berdly just wants to be a big shot

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Queen says it takes determination to open a fountain, but Kris does it without a SOUL which Undertale led us to believe is where determination comes from

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Oxyclean posted:

It's not like "omg so tragic" but more like "that tracks" and it seems fairly clear he's kind of seen the error of some of his ways.

Let's not give the guy too much credit.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've worked in food services before, several hours into a busy shift with no end in sight and I probably looked and sounded Burgerpants too.

The hardest work I ever did was for minimum wage.

Edit:

God, I am so excited to see where that plotline leads. It's going to be a disaster, I feel like I'm looking at the Titanic just before it hits an iceberg.

Nah, toby loves himself a double bluff with a happy ending. It'll turn out to be a literal catfish that burgerpants is nuts fo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
And the survey part of the survey program at the beginning is piled to the brim with gaster references, from speaking style, to the musical backing, to the terminology used. At least until the screen turns black, then all that goes away and we get the flat affect, passive voice characteristic of the Undertale narrator, with neutral basic text sound effect.

Whoever exactly is narrating, whether it's Toby, "us", the main character, Chara, whatever, they directly interceded and interrupted a dialogue we were having with someone very strongly implied to be gaster.

What exactly the survey program was surveying will come up in a later chapter, and when it does, so will gaster.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Randomly: we know the prophecy is that 2 lightners and a prince of the dark save everyone, but that's totally not our main 3 is it? It's lancer, Susie and someone, right?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Oxxidation posted:

people keyed in on the Mysteryman figure as a visual representation of Gaster because you’ve gotta make fanart of something, but it’s way more appropriate for him to exist as implication and noise. the dude existentially exploded himself after all

Well, sure, there's random speculation, but also when he disappears, the sound effect is the first bar of gaster's theme sped up. Toby loving loves his leitmotifs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Is the face that's hawking toothbrushes on a pop-up ad from the pop up enemy spamton?

There's no Pikachu cheeks or sunglasses, but the similarity is otherwise quite strong.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Oxxidation posted:

if Asriel were human then I don’t think Kris’s angst would be remotely as severe as it is now. they literally can’t stand to look at pictures of humans, which probably wouldn’t be the case if their idolized big brother was one

We don't actually know that he idolizes him. See: refusing to look at the room queen prepared for him. He's got some kind of anxiety about Asriel. An anxiety we don't understand yet.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

right and like, if the egg rooms turned out to be plot critical i think that would be silly

Here's the thing. Anything "critical" is absolutely just going to be main content in deltarune, but another game in the series can nibble around the edges of deltarune's plot with interesting and relevant tidbits as much as it wants.

We don't need to connect the sound effect playing in the background of the red doors area to the Undertale Easter eggs to know it's mysterious and probably relevant somehow. It stands on its own

I'd be far more miffed if Toby gave us totally ambiguous clues to a mystery then never answered it. That's way more hacky writing to me than having some not strictly necessary connections between a story and it's sequel.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also worth noting that we can make Kris look at the Asriel room, but we can’t make Kris look at the Asriel room. They obviously have some agency.

Well yeah if you were gonna miss plot critical details, that’d be hella dumb, but I think it’s fine to hint at things that may come up. For example, I quite like Susie, who is first mentioned in a fun zone.

A ton of dialogue in chapter 2 seems specifically to hint at Kris being given just a little creative freedom in how to interpret our commands. Which my mental retread of chapter 1 doesn't have any of.

When you give him the option to say "no" about feeling okay after spamton, he screams it, because he was actually given a chance to express his feelings. Or when you give an "incorrect" answer about who he wants to go to the festival with, he tries to make it sound insincere.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Someone else mentioned how strange and different from the rest of it the dark world looks when you first enter in chapter 1, specifically that the eyes on the walls are the same as the eyes on the titans (also the save points look like their eyes)

I wonder if this is relevant at all? maybe something to do with the time loop theory a few people have brought up? There's darkness leaking and spilling out of holes in the wall too

The only relevant thing I can think of about it is that that area is part of ralsei's supply closet and not lancer's unused classroom. I don't know why that would matter.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Oxxidation posted:

yeah my take is that those cliffs are what the dark world looks like when there’s no fountain to coalesce around

which raises the dual unsettling questions of a) why the world’s basic state is so sinister and b) what the hell is up with ralsei’s territory. the other dark worlds were formed from light world detritus around the fountain’s origin, but ralsei’s kingdom isn’t based on anything but ralsei

Eh... One of Undertale's less pronounced, but still very present, themes is not judging by appearances.

Flowey being a psychopathic murderer while looking adorable, the almagamates being innocent monsters, metaton being a person and not a robot, asgore being a child murderer, sans being an insane badass, it comes up a lot.

The appearance being ominous doesn't tell us much about it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
What did sans do?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Fangz posted:

Sans is highly apathetic to a lot of things. In particular in the bad time run, Sans probably should have/could have stopped the Human a lot earlier.

He's not apathetic. He's keeping a promise to toriel? He implies during the Megalovania fight that that's the reason he's held back.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

"Don't murder random people" should not be a promise that takes doing to keep.

Don't get revenge on the mass murderer who killed your brother?

Seems a bit harder.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Gaster asster blaster

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Here's the updated Lancer dialogue, the video starts off with the regular dialogue btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJ3kcAV0Xo

New home, old home. Hmm.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

YggiDee posted:

Honestly it's never even occurred to me that the other fallen humans might not have been children. Toriel finds them, adopts them, they get loose and inevitably fall to the King of Monsters. Maybe it's the fairy tale aspect of it all, with Mt Ebott as a forbidden mountain that steals your kids and also the place where monsters were sealed away ages ago.

For all her apparent benevolence, I'm not sure if Toriel would have let an adult go in the Underground, given how much damage even a kid can do. Also, I think an adult would have better odds against Asgore.

There's also an interview with Toby Fox where he describes the victims of Mount Ebott as "several human children" but that's from 2013 so I don't know if that counts.

This brings me to a theory. Gaster's work with SOULs created save points that allow you to redo things using determination and the other SOULs didn't have a chance to redo their mistakes and a huge mushroom cloud of fire magic easily overwhelmed the previous souls.

Because otherwise, any of the 6 of them would have made it out alive.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Oh goddamn it, I keep finding out about new buried content. Spamton was apparently afraid of clowns and merry-go-rounds.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Flesnolk posted:

Considering even the biggest baddest monster under the mountain can't take a literal child in a fight, probably wasn't much need to seal them away in the first place

In fact the history carvings in waterfall say almost exactly that. Humans got paranoid that there could hypothetically be a dangerous monster and thrashed them all almost effortlessly.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
A joke? Maybe. Not a bug though. Character actions in cutscenes are totally scripted.

Toby explicitly had him step into negative space. Considering the overall seriousness of the scene, it also doesn't really read as a joke.

But it also doesn't mean anything that I can tell.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That Darkners seem to like hanging out in inventories probably makes sense given they're apparently inanimate objects given life.

Which was a little more glossed over in chapter 2. Other than maice and plugs, it seems like everything you encounter is one variety of computer program or another.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Two Inch Bee posted:

Seems like they underestimated the appeal of Spamton. I'm sure someone's already hard at work correcting that.

Also, here's something interesting about the fangamer merch (from one of the company's founders):

https://twitter.com/reidman/status/1444790336199356425

I suspect this is contractual bullshit from having done Undertale merch in the past. Could be story stuff, but my intuition is that it's much more boring

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Sans does meth. But not so much he loses teeth.

Edit: asgore absolutely takes prescription meds "for his back"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The scratching bit is the only thing that stands out as a clue to what's going on beyond generic claustrophobic horror.

But nothing comes to mind as to what that could connect to.

Maybe onion-san's bit?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
We can all agree that sans isn't ness. But the player is Geno from Mario RPG.

Geno is short for genocide route

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Some fan stuff really has so much effort invested but misses the tone of things in weird off-putting ways

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Macaluso posted:

The big thing for me is that fan stuff like this can't seem to get Spamton's dialogue quite right

For clarity, that's exactly what I meant in this case.

Buncha goons had to condescend sarcastically like I hate fan art in general, or intentionally choosing to do something different.

But missing how a character talks or what their motives are is more off-putting than completely reimagining them.

By way of example, it's not off putting to make a fan film where Darth Vader still podraces for fun. It's out of character, but a fun interrogation of the character. But it would be extremely off putting if he said lines like "I'll kill you for that" because it's like a near miss. It's not the kind of villain he is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
My feeling is you either have determination or are subject to it. There's only one person making choices, and it's us, the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Sockser posted:

Okay so
Within Undertale, Gaster is ooo creepypasta cut character wow look at all of this wowwwww

And I get that and have understood all of that for five years at this point

But I do not understand any of this like, canonical Gaster stuff in Deltarune. Like I don’t see it, and I don’t know where people are picking it up, I just don’t get it.

Can someone link me a write up on Gaster stuff please?

Okay. During the survey at the beginning of deltarune, the backing music is a slight variation of "Gaster's theme", and the surveyor speaks with the same cadence as the writer of the early true lab memos.

The phrase "darker, yet darker" shows up all over the place in deltarune, but only appears in secret gaster-related text in Undertale.

The sound you get when you call with the cell phone in the dark world is attached to gaster in Undertale's game files.

I think that's all the explicit connections and the rest are theorizing.