Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Blockhouse posted:

The whole "I don't think what just happened means anything better to not think about it" to me felt like some ol fashioned toxic positivity more than anything

This is what I take away from Ralsei. The first two chapters already seen to have presented us with three prominent darkners who seem tailor-made to appeal to and build the self-esteem of specific lightners. Lancer exists to be what Susie needs. The Queen exists to build Noelle up. And Ralsei will bend over backwards at any opportunity to try to make Kris happy, even if that's actually an unhealthy coping mechanism in that situation. Of course, it's interesting that we're getting these clues now that in Kris's case, they don't actually seem to like Ralsei doing any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

So, because I'm at that scene now, what's with those two werewires randomly attacking Noelle in her room?

Queen's gotta get her tied to the big hand somehow, and she's probably not going to agree to it on her own. Probably could have gotten her up on the hand sooner, give Queen a little time to spruce it up, put some tinsel on it, rig it to explode into a GIF after Noelle is released from it.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Spiderfist Island posted:

Well, we know of at least one plant that had plenty of Determination and no SOUL...

Not exactly connected, but I don't think it's a fluke that Spamton was obsessed with reaching/piercing to [heaven], refers to his 'free' NEO form as [heaven]LY and the goal of the heroes in the prophecy is to "Banish the ANGEL'S HEAVEN". Something's going on that relates this level of narrative self-awareness to this concept of 'heaven', let alone the obvious influence of Gaster on Jevil and Spamton. We also don't know what exactly this Angel is either. Probably nothing good.

Side B has you buy the fatal ring from Spamton in a dumpster. His dialogue begins with the address "[Angel,] [angel]." Side B makes a big deal out of the divide between the player and the player character. The voice that speaks in choice commands is not Kris's voice.

You are the angel.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Have you ever thought about a world where everything is exactly the same...

Except you don't exist?

Everything functions perfectly without you...

Ha, ha... The thought terrifies me.

That glass...

Look at it in the Dark World and see through into the Light World.
But the reverse doesn't apply. Look at it in the Light World and you don't see into the Dark World.
Are you looking in the same direction? From the Dark World, up into the Light World. From the Light World, up to...?

You looked through the glass.
For some strange reason, for a brief moment...
You thought you saw through your hand.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

But since we're talking about Gaster, I'm going to post this picture. It doesn't relate to anything and I don't even know what the picture is trying to prove. But A secret thing about me is that I love seeing people go Full Pepe Silvia moment on things. Someone drawing lines and arrows and circling important words. It's something I enjoy.

The best thing about that Full Pepe Silvia
—aside from the fact that I wrote a post and then scrolled down on the previous page and saw an image that already had half of what I was speculating about—
is the parts where the author forgot to actually include any kind of caption or context as to why they put something there. The mystery man sprite, and then its other frame of animation upside down. Why? Not specified, hope you already know why somebody thought that was significant from elsewhere. Better include the picture here though. Just not the reason why.

On an unrelated note, gonna call that [Mike] is just foreshadowing/setup for the next chapter's optional boss.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 12, 2021

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

1: What do fights look like when you're not in the party? Every time you get into a fight your soul leaps in front of them and then you have the Undertale dodge system.

Susie vs. Lancer: the exact same thing, except your soul has to book it to keep coming in and going back out offscreen.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

That's also a thread from the Undertale development blog. Toby would sometimes write posts in character as certain members of the cast, and one of the posts written as Sans talks about a brother of his who's clearly NOT Papyrus if you're paying attention to the things he's saying about him and he says he'd tell you more about, but, well, "it's rude to talk about people who're listening."

You're misremembering this one. The post is talking about some mild controversy of some kind that happened early on and counselling something to the effect of 'that's not true but don't dogpile on anyone for saying it either,' and then leads into:

quote:

besides, it’s rude to talk about people that are listening, right? not everyone is as tough as my brother.

I think "it's rude to talk about people that are listening" is meant to be tantalizing and spooky to people digging into the FUN events, but it's not anything explicit. It still works within the context of what the post is talking about, as does the line that follows. Papyrus has an undefeatable positivity, but not everyone is as tough as Papyrus.

There's a thematic connection between the bone brothers and Gaster as being The Font People (and the Mystery Man sprite, if it is Gaster, looks kinda like it could be a skeleton man), and clues to hint at some relationship with Sans, but anything beyond that is speculation. The only reason to assume they must be brothers is aesthetic symmetry.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

rko posted:

feel like a killjoy posting walls o text in a thread for fun memes about character I like but

Sure, but according to that reading, Toby Fox has put up a pretty big gate in front of his fresh content (“did you play a game that costs money before this free one y/n?”) and populated his new and tangentially related game with the popular characters from the one that costs money…just to produce a certain vibe for players and ensure an emotional connection with an NPC?

Think of this in the reverse. Undertale plays its cards close to its chest very carefully, both guiding and messing with the player's anticipations about the characters, and instills an uncertainty throughout the early game of how much these characters can be trusted, and how safe or unsafe you actually are. A lot of players feel the tension build as they try to figure out whether Toriel, who the player met instantly after being lied to and ambushed by a smiling mascot flower, is the suspiciously too-nice motherly figure she appears to be or the witch from the tale of Hansel and Gretel. I remember carrying the impression from the years between Undertale's demo and the full release that ASGORE was some evil entity speaking through the flower that would manipulate the world through saving across the course of the game.

If you play Deltarune first, you can't have that from Undertale. You've met Toriel as the mother and teacher for the elementary classes at the local school. You've seen ASGORE and he's a big doofy man who hugs you too hard. You know the characters in Undertale aren't in the same circumstances but you also know there's some shared characterization underlying them in the new (old) scenario.

I mean, yeah, three quarters of the internet has had huge chunks of Undertale spoiled for them already, but there's still folks playing for the first time today here and there who can have that preserved.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Danaru posted:

It took me four battles to realize he says "I can do anything!" Because the joker is a wild card :cripes: he even says it before throwing all the suites at you

He has a line of battle dialogue that says "HEARTS, SPADES, I CAN DO ANYTHING!"

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Flopsy posted:

I know it ain't happening but god does this make me want voice acting in the games. Also in case anybody has been living under a rock this is a parody of an actual commercial that was equally insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

Not an actual commercial in the sense of "went on air trying to attract customers." It was a joke video screened as entertainment at the Advertising Association of Baltimore, part of a set of fake parody ads.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

Wait a minute, does the description of Spamton After Not Surviving confirm that monsters still dust in this timeline?

He's not a monster. He's a darkner. Darkners petrify when they lose their animating force. Rocks can be smashed.

Though the graveyard in Hometown does match the burial practices for the monsters in Undertale, if this is about the "if I finally became a real boy" part.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 18, 2022

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

It can also lead to Ramb and also a blue screen with some noise playing and the tab saying "AREN'T YOU FORGETTING SOMETHING?" this is still part of the same page so I can't link it.

That's how you get to the blog page. You scroll to the bottom of the static and there are two links, the lower one to the green room and the upper one to the blue screen. Then you scroll back up the blue screen to find the link to the blog.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

rko posted:

Sans and Onion-San, who both seem to remember the events of Undertale,

Sans is one thing. I don't think there's an indication that he "remembers the events of Undertale," but his dialogue is definitely written so that Toby himself is teasing the player over it.

But Onion-san? Onion-san doesn't even remember their own name.

Deltarune puts in a lot of work on the front end to remind you of Undertale, and a lot of work on the back end to make everything feel a little wrong compared to Undertale. Undyne's first instinct on hearing the name "Alphys" is to think you're giving her the name of a perp to arrest. Mettaton is a shut-in with low self-esteem. Catty and Bratty hate each other.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 21, 2022

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He was also roped into let's playing Kingdom Hearts and breaks into literal sobbing laughter whenever Mickey Mouse shows up for a cutscene. dude knows how to enjoy a video game

My personal favorites are the videos from when he first played Crimzon Clover, and then first fought Crimzon Clover's extra boss. "I can't believe you have to beat the game without continues to face this guy. I wanna face this guy all day!"

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Read a really interesting fan theory; even with the stuff I do have the most quibbles about, I'm still willing to buy the broad strokes of

The detail of this theory that most makes it credible in my mind is that Gerson didn't have a surname until Deltarune, and this would make the Roaring Knight's name Alvin Boom.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh hey Omocat was involved too! neat!

A bunch of different artists roped into the project. I do respect that Toby seems to be actively trying to use his presence to help boost other creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

The save point he's holding is how they look in the Underground rather than the Dark World

Ralsei, what do you know that we don't

I think it's supposed to be his magic casting animation.

goblin week posted:

Making Ralsei white was the biggest misstep of Toby Fox

:emptyquote:
:emptyquote: