Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
As I was exploring the town at the end, I started thinking this was some sort of "what if the monsters never got sealed underground" universe, but then I got to the flower shop and I saw the seven flowers. Now I have no idea how this relates to Undertale, chronologically/time-fuckily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I meant he might release more information tomorrow.

so did Papyrus get unpersoned somehow? That's distressing...he was my favorite...

Nah, he was mentioned by Sans, and you hear him inside his house.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ralsei's manual exists in the game files despite being inaccessible in the game: https://i.imgur.com/MpBYqcK.png

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxxidation posted:

notably, there's "cut" dialogue featuring an unnamed character who's lost in a "dark place" and begging for someone to come help them in pretty much the same language Asriel/Flowey used

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Your Computer posted:

It's my one grievance with the game (as I've spent several posts talking about :v:) but it certainly makes me wonder what he's gonna do with the next chapter. Unless it's a mistake/joke/otherwise I'm sure he's got an interesting plan with it.

On one hand, yeah, probably the biggest thing that appealed to me about Undertale (aside from the likable characters) was the relentless optimism and faith in the power of kindness, and that ending along with the sense of futility and lack of choice in this game seem to run quite counter to that. Chara was perhaps the least interesting part of Undertale, to me.

On the OTHER hand, Toby Fox has earned every bit of the benefit of the doubt from me so I am on board this hype train 100%

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snake Maze posted:

Also, if you haven't already, pay attention to the stuff your party members say when you give them food/new equipment (they have little comments at the bottom of the screen, near their health)

There's no secret lore or anything, it's just really good. They each have different stuff to say about every item, as far as I could tell

I liked that when I tried to equip Susie with the ribbon she said something along the lines of "Nope. I'm not a first-grader anymore."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tetracube posted:

random thoughts

-Everyone else has different houses, but Sans's shop is just Grillby's and he and Papyrus still have the exact same house from Snowden, down to the smallest detail.

Mettaton also lives in a house that looks just like his/Napstablook's.

quote:

-Who's this knight guy they keep mentioning in the dark world? He put the king in charge but that's all I remember. Did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything. At the moment, we don't know anything else about The Knight except that they overthrew three out of the four kings and left Lancer's dad in charge.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

VJeff posted:

Quick not really important question, but I've been wondering - what species do you guys think Susie is?

Her face sprite is very close to the Mad Dummy's, despite her looking more reptillian.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Coolguye posted:

alright one quick question (and for those of you lurking this is a no poo poo spoiler so even if you're mousing over them because people are paranoid and poo poo, DO NOT MOUSE OVER THIS ONE, IT'S A NO poo poo SPOILER)

there's that one card suit puzzle just after the Plains area that says "from top to bottom, these are our rooms in the card castle. so it's kind of impossible if you haven't been there yet." the answer is loving diamond-spade-heart-club with diamond being 1f, spade being 2f, etc - but i've gone back there to input both it and its exact reverse and it doesn't work. the gently caress am i missing here?

The second floor is a bathroom, not a real clubhouse, so that one is skipped. The real order is diamond-heart-club-spade, with the fifth floor being spade.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Salastine posted:

Was there a save point after the final boss? I really hope I didn't miss anything.

Nope.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

milk moosie posted:

Okay, finished.

Seems to have raised infinitely more questions than it answered, but I wasn't expecting to answer any. I don't think we're going to find out anything about how the story relates to Undertale's until way past chapter 2, so I guess I'll see you guys in 2030 2040 v:v:v

Does the ending change if you do anything different? It seems like the game doesn't react to choices like Undertale did.

Where is Broken Key C?

1. Nope, the ending is the same no matter what choices you made. Makes sense, given how the game beats you over the head with "your choices don't matter."
2. Behind the card suit puzzle that requires you to enter the order of the floors of the castle, way back towards the beginning

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Republicans posted:

Something I keep thinking about is how sparse Kris' side of the bedroom is. That and how it's apparent that wasn't the first time you threw your soul into that cage if you inspect it.,

Yeah, that really adds to the perception that Kris is a quiet, lonely kid with no hobbies beyond pulling pranks and getting drunk on "fruit juice" at church.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Amppelix posted:

I got one character to comment on this in a dialogue option, I don't remember where. But yes Kris is human and is the only one in town.

The part when you get to talk to Toriel at the end, she tells a story about how when you were little, you wondered when "your horns" were going to come in, so she bought you a headband with plastic horns. She treats it like some silly childhood thing but combined with everything else we know about Kris, it made me a little sad

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Larryb posted:

Yeah, for the first 95% of the game or so there's no reason (aside from the fact that Frisk is nowhere to be found and a new kid is living with Toriel instead) not to assume this is just a direct sequel to Undertale following the Pacifist ending (the monsters are all on the surface, Monster Kid is a bit older, they're all going to school, etc.) but then once you hit the epilogue and actually get a chance to explore the town you get the sense that nothing is really as it should be (Undyne and Alphys have never met, Asriel is alive and away at college, etc.). It's a pretty unique way of handling things in my opinion and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Incidentally, I really like the vocal theme that plays at the end. Is there a full version available anywhere yet?

Yup, it's on bandcamp.
https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/album/deltarune-chapter-1-ost
Track 39

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxxidation posted:

some of susie's dastardly crimes:

- illicit chalk consumption

- grievous assault with a kickball

- body-slamming the soda machines

- once ate all the ham sandwiches

Yeah it really seems like she's just shy and awkward and everyone, including the teacher took her aloofness and her intimidating physical appearance and pidgeonholed her as a bully, and so a bully she became.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lets hang out posted:

be cool if each chapter had you teaming up with different people in town, helping them sort through their problems by jumping into the game world. persona 4 pretty much.

It makes sense, but at the same time Susie's so great I don't want her to play a reduced role in future chapters.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Toby posted a bunch of thank yous to people who helped make Deltarune a reality and it included this interesting tidbit

https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1058382742260498433

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cuntellectual posted:

I try to avoid Undertale's fandom for what should be self-evident reasons. Was it confirmed it's a sequel?

That said, the line about "Nobody can choose who they are in this world" was legitimately amazing.

It's not really a sequel in a chronological sense. It's an alternate universe.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I have no doubt Toby will be able to put together a good team. His reputation is sterling and there are tons of talented people who'd absolutely love to work with him. He's probably made something in the low 8-digit range from Undertale sales so assuming he's been somewhat responsible with his money and is willing to reinvest it in Deltarune, finances shouldn't be an issue.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

skaianDestiny posted:

So something I noticed, Ralsei's "down" sprite is just a pile of his clothing Obi-wan style. Wonder what significance that has.

Ralsei's manual which isnt accessible in game but is present in the files does include this page

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do you access these?

I didn't rip them myself, I got it from here

https://imgur.com/a/OWqvoOW

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nina posted:

Why do people assume all the obscure secrets in Undertale had to do with Gaster again other than the few NPCs that outright namedrop him. Like I think it’s pretty cool you get a bit about this background character but it was really hasty to umbrella every bit of secret content in the game under that.

I hope if Gaster is going to be relevant at all it’s going to be novel instead of lipservice to the rickety fanon shack built on minimal dialogue and an Uboa reference

The track that plays during the fake character creation sequence at the beginning uses Gaster's leitmotif and the title is a reference to the filename of his theme from Undertale. It seems to imply that the one giving us the survey (as well as the game over text, since that has the same "voice" as the survey) is Gaster, so he has some meta role in all this.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DoubleCakes posted:

I thought monster was a ghost and therefore is a special monster?

You don't get to see the monster that says that, that dialogue appears when you knock on the doors of one of the apartment buildings. And before that, they specifically identify you as a human.

quote:

* Ooo, are you the human that lives at the top of town?
* Wow, my mommy told me about you...
* Does it hurt to be made of blood???

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Bee posted:

Another minor detail I like is that Asriel's game console had one real one and one bootleg one. No guesses as to which one Kris had to use.

Now Ralsei? Ralsei would take that Mad Catz controller. In fact, he'd tell you how much more he likes the grips and the barely functional turbo button on it, and thank you.

Honestly, I would be shocked if Asriel didn't let Kris use the real controller.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Your Computer posted:

how many more ways can we misspell Ralsei's name

6! = 720

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Deltarune Go to the polls

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like I can't imagine anything from the dark world being a thing past like chapter two or something. It's so super obviously a fake constructed fantasy world none of the characters there seem like they will be anything but memories/fantasy/reflections of whoever's fantasy it is.

It's really interesting to me that I can play a game where 85% of the time and 100% of what can be considered "gameplay" takes place in what strongly appears to be a red herring universe and not come out of the experience thinking it was a huge waste of time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can you make one where he says "gently caress" with his angry face?

Ralsei would never say "gently caress."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ruffian Price posted:

Said it before, but I died to Asgore on purpose 20 times (to the point where the CHECK dialogue stops changing and just increments a number) before getting the courage to even touch the FIGHT button and I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe it's inefficient to play like this, but aren't streamers paid more if they stretch the content anyway?

Yeah same. I think I spent about three hours on that fight, eventually thinking that if I just survived long enough, I'd pull it off.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxxidation posted:

toby, man, those hatless ralsei sprites just aren't doing it for me

If there isn't an option to make him wear his hat and give him his classic look, I riot

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tendales posted:

My ear's not the best at picking out this sort of thing, but it sounds like the teaser musics Toby shared don't have the "don't forget I'm with you in the dark" leitmotif? I wonder if each chapter will have its own musical motif tying everything together.

That would make sense and yeah, I was listening for that leitmotif and I didn't hear it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Have I forgotten something from chapter 1 that would explain why Ralsei can visit other dark worlds and other Darkners can visit Ralsei's castle without getting petrified or is that supposed to be an open mystery for the moment?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A friend of mine pointed out that Kris's living room is mentioned at several points in chapter 2 to be very dusty. The TV, the couch. It's all framed in a way that's reasonable (Kris and Toriel not being big TV watchers checks out, and who doesn't have dust between the couch cushions, so aside from Chairiel, the living room not being used much since Asriel left is a reasonable assumption to make), but hey what is it that happens to monsters when they die again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah i'm just wondering how there are sprites of wide susie in the dark world bowseresque clothing, i'm assuming fanmade?

They exist in the game files, they're just not used in the game (yet)

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Deltarune/Chapter_1_%26_2_Demo_(2021)#Goofy_Susie_Sprites_.28Dark_World.29