Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

consider a couple of questions - why are you asked to give them *your* name? Why do they (in the form of a knife-wielding murderchild) confront you in the *genocide* ending?

It doesn't, though. The prompt is "Name the fallen human." You're *expected* to use your own name, but it never actually asks you what YOUR name is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I'm kind of suspicious that Papyrus was hidden for a reason, and when we do get to see him (in the year 3045) he won't be the jogboy we're expecting at all. :(

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

delta rune is never coming out lol

indie star citizen here we go

Except instead of our life savings we're pouring obsessive analysis and lewd fanart of mean girls into the unrewarding abyss.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think the best way to describe it is a "follow-up" to Undertale.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Just put every dev in charge of a single chapter. One chapter for ZUN, one for Yoko Taro, one for Swery, and one super pretentious chapter managed by Jon Blow

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My ear's not the best at picking out this sort of thing, but it sounds like the teaser musics Toby shared don't have the "don't forget I'm with you in the dark" leitmotif? I wonder if each chapter will have its own musical motif tying everything together.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Should I play Deltarune chapter 1, or just wait for the full release?

The Undertale Demo experienced in isolation was better than the ruins chapter of the full game, so I'd go with playing Deltarune Ch.1 now.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One of the interesting things about Undertale is how different the experience is if you played the demo and mulled over it and poked at it for two years, as opposed to starting straight in with the full game. The entire ruins area really is self contained as a mini-game, and more immediately encourages reloading and restarting to try and get different results (and to watch Flowey gently caress up the instruction manual, a feature I sorely missed in the full game). For better or worse, it's very different to kill Toriel accidentally and reach the end of the demo, than it is to kill Toriel and still have the entire rest of the game open to you.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's not emphasis, it's like when the translator can't quite figure out what the Orz mean by *campers* and just throws something out there.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect coming in to Chapter 2, but two SBEmail references back to back wasn't it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Something I've been mulling over, but haven't come to any conclusion about yet: We the player can't see Kris emote or hear them talk while we're controlling them. We can only get the broadest of gestures as they move, fight, and ACT; our only perception of Kris is filtered through the game mechanics. They're obviously talking, but we can't hear them, all we can hear is how other people respond. Even when Kris has a meltdown we don't get to see any of it.

So, how much of Heartless Kris are we unable to perceive? Are they saying anything? Are they making any gestures other than the puppet-jerking from position to position?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Noelle is hungry to get dommed. I mean, I get it, but try to be less horny on main kid!

Those are antlers.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
More bandwagon, I just really like this one: https://twitter.com/BearWithaBroom/status/1442548546301927429

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Neuronyx posted:

Maybe the coke was the friends we made along the way

Maybe our friends were the coke we made along the way

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What were all the heart colors and heart powers from undertale? I know red and yellow have shown up in deltarune now but I can't remember which colors went with which power/gimmick/theme, and I feel like it wouldn't be too out of the question to expect future bosses or optional bosses to call back to those specific gimmicks.

Red: Normal mode, Frisk/Fallen Child, probably DeterminationBALL GAME, red attacks are warnings.
Light blue: Light blue attacks only hurt if you're moving, tuff Kid, Patience.
Orange: Orange attacks hurt unless you move through them, fighter kid, Bravery.
Blue: Jumping mode, ballet kid, Integrity.
Purple: Trap mode, nerdy kid, Perseverance.
Green: Shield mode, chef kid, Kindness.
Yellow: [big] Shoot mode, cowboy kid, Justice.
Blue+Red: You have a nintendo mode

Tendales fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 12, 2021

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've been kind of wracking my brain lately; are there any other works, of any kind of media really, where story and music are so tightly intertwined as UT/DR? There's, like, Peter and the Wolf and what else?

There's more narrative weight to Toby's chiptunes than in actual broadway musicals.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She switched to vaping because she's got kids now and wants the house to smell nice for them.

That cool mist smells like butterscotch and cinnamon.

I wonder if she ever gave that dude his NES wallet back.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
In a weird way, I feel kind of sad that new players can't experience Undertale the way it was originally intended: Playing the demo, freaking out over the .html instruction book, and getting increasingly obsessed about this weird little flower and goat game for two and half years.

The entire ruins section kind of loses something when you're not replaying it a dozen times because there's no later chapters yet.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

rko posted:

They’re all freed of whatever burdens came before; Undyne has both eyes, Alphys is Toriel’s colleague and a respected teacher instead of hiding in her lab, the amalgamates are at rest, etc. Indeed, from their perspective, nothing is wrong. They’ve all led what sounds like a wonderfully peaceful JRPG lifestyle in their JRPG hometown, and Sans and Onion are the only characters who have even implied they have knowledge of prior events.

I'm still pretty sure that the characters of DR are remixes of UT characters, not the same characters in a sequel, or transplanted into a fantasy realm or whatever. It's all a what-if situation, what if the monsters were never forced into the underground.

Sans and Onion are special cases for different reasons. Sans is already an outsider- remember, he wasn't native to UT's world either, he and Papyrus and [] just showed up one day. Sans being meta doesn't really have any particular implications for any other characters, that's just how he is.

Onion lives in the ocean. They're just sensitive to the vibrations of all the poo poo that lies beneath the surface.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Papyrus is also at college. He is captain of every sports team at College U. (They don't let him play in any actual games though.)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've kind of got a nagging suspicion that if Noelle's sister is going to be super plot important, there's a real chance of DR getting released in December.

e: Toby plz don't read this and change the release date just to spite me

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I hope Toby deliberately drops chaps 3-5 to completely derail some over-budgeted AAA title's launch. Sorry Starfield, fluffy boys are stealing your hype.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

IUG posted:

We only got like 24 hour notice for both chapters too. First chapter was some Gaster-like tweets, second chapter has a sitcom-like play through of the first chapter with the announcement at the end.

"Wow, wasn't that a great concert? Gosh that was amazing. Anyway here's chapter 2 ok I love you bye"

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If Toby just released Deltarune Chapters 1 And 2 But This Time You Pay Money For Them... I would probably pay money for them.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One of the routes just never ends, obviously.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One thing that I think is easily forgotten is how well the Undertale demo encouraged exploring the violence/pacifism options, since it was super short and self contained, plus it had the html manual actively loving with you and goading you on. Still kind of wish that manual had kept on with the evolution of the game, even though there's a pile of technical reasons why it couldn't.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Probably faster to type "yes". What year is this

Why would you ever believe a goon's answer to any question, though

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
For a second I got wires crossed and thought people were discussing a fully voiced final cut of Lisa, and I physically recoiled in fear.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Sans was just too lazy to bother having a different backstory for Deltarune, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The game will track your every interaction with Sans and then not bother to do anything with that data because :effort: