Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

This came up today, for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wdbOWlf2ew
It is a Game Theory video on DeltaRune. It's not a dumb one like his Sans=Ness video (but he does make fun of it briefly in the beginning). Some effort was put into this one. It goes over stuff that's been discussed in this thread and some stuff that I don't recall being discussed in the thread. I found it interesting at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

I was kinda hoping to talk more about the content of the theories but ok.

Specifically, the thought that the room they end up in after the adventure being the place where Asriel and Kris played as kids and with Asriel gone and the family separation it's been tucked away, like Jevil in that world. And tied with that is this not being the first time Kris has been in that world, which lines up with the Kris save file you overwrite when you go into that world, which is the only place that has saves we can see (There are none in the real world). The first point isn't something that sprung to mind for me when I played but after listening to his thoughts on that point it made sense to me. And to me it seemed like something interesting to see everyone's thoughts on and how it relates to other themes in the story. I'm not really eloquent when it comes to talking about these things myself.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

There's some scrapped Deltarune songs playing. Alternate school song, a song for the checkerboard rooms, a song for a battle against Rouxls. Pretty good ones so far.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

He mentioned making a tool so he can make cutscenes without all the IF statements, I wonder if he redid the chapter 1 scenes with the tool.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

There's a part when you're walking through the city with Noelle where you're talking and slowly spelling out December (I think). While you're walking you both get obscured by buildings in the foreground but you can still see their silhouette. Near the end Noelle's silhouette seemingly changes to a younger version of herself. Does anyone have a screenshot of that? And did Kris's silhouette change in that section at all?

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Zamujasa posted:

It's spr_noelle_young_silhouette_[0-3] and there isn't one for Kris that I can see, no. I didn't even know this was a thing. :stare:

Thanks. I was paying attention to the conversation they were having and just briefly saw her silhouette change as she passed the building. I got blocked when I tried to go back to check it. I suppose it makes sense given the conversation topic, I just wasn't expecting it.

Zebia fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 20, 2021

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Fabricated posted:

She's just happy to have friends and do/see cool poo poo, our weird meddling as the player/puppeteer just kinda bounces right off of her.

Huh... I wonder if that's a part of why Kris seems to prefer going to the festival with her. Maybe they feel safer from us/the controlling influence with Susie around?

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Basically no evidence to back this up, but since you can retrieve items from other save files I wonder if that will be used let you start Side B right from Chapter 1 in the full game.

Speculation ahead:
I'm thinking maybe you're able to get weapons that allow both Kris and Susie to kill late in the game. But you can grab them at the start of a new file to allow both of them to kill right away. That's probably the only way to get Susie down that path, as the first Darkner you fight is Lancer. Killing Lancer in your first encounter means Susie won't make that connection/friendship and she would maybe follow the bad path. She could still separate from the party near the beginning like she does in the normal playthrough. But instead of just beating up some Darkners you could end up in a post no mercy scenario where you don't find anyone for a long time because she killed them all.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

I thought this was a great depiction of the optional fight/setting

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Deltarune/comments/pv31pv/new_hidden_boss_was_amazing_love_the_boss_theme/

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Larryb posted:

Well, based on the ending they basically dragged their mother into the Dark World against her will (not to mention the whole Roaring issue Ralsei mentioned). Not really sure how you could explain that one away but we’ll see.

I suppose you could write the whole “slashing Toriel’s tires” thing off as a prank but I’m not sure about the Fountain

I could see it being something like Kris saw how the time in the Dark World helped them become closer to Susie (presumably), and trying to do the same with Toriel. Maybe even as a way to show their "worth" to Toriel, with the assumption that they feel jealousy towards Asriel's accomplishments/awards. In that scenario they might be desperate enough to do everything we see at the end of the chapter.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Saw a prediction that by the end of the game we'll have left Kris's body and be put in the vessel we created at the beginning. That made me think of the intro of the game again. It seems someone was trying to create a vessel for us (the player) to inhabit but someone else interfered and had us put into Kris. Maybe that "someone else" is the Knight or they could be a separate character. A couple major questions in this version of the story would be "Why discard a presumably empty vessel? Why take over someone else's life?" And that made me think of Kris and how they're depicted. Without the soul they shamble around. Susie comments in chapter 2 that Kris was sleeping like a corpse. This next piece may not be evidence and just an aesthetic choice but Kris becomes blue in the Dark World. The other Lightners change very little in comparison (Susie and Berdly are very slightly brighter, and I don't think Noelle changes at all). Kris becomes blue as if oxygen starved (or dead). Going back to the intro, what if it was an emergency situation and the mysterious person/people tried saving Kris using the soul? But kind of like the amalgamates it didn't go to plan and Kris really is a walking corpse?

Of course, we'd still have the question of why we're taking control now when Kris has seemingly had this soul for some time, as evidenced by the stain next to the bird cage. It could be something like the player's determination (or other power) overriding that of the previous person in control, like the player taking the power to save from Flowey in Undertale. Maybe without control of Kris, they started to create the Dark Fountains to lure us out (wiith the assumption Kris created only the one we see at the end of chapter 2).

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

I found this video discussing Noelle's character and choices from chapter 2 to be interesting. The last part about the recurring "Noelle is strong" in both routes got me to rethink some of what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtP7PnyuSw4

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Just the right amount of horrifying.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Found this theory video that I thought was good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GlDVG-MXbU
Goes into possible inferences you can make from the characters' interactions with Queen. For me it provided some insight into the relationship between Kris and Toriel that I missed from the text/subtext.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He also thought people would hate Rouxls Kaard, I have no idea why he keeps thinking people will hate the characters who get to say some of his funniest jokes.

Maybe Toby thinks he has a weird sense of humor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Ash Rose posted:

Got up to the fourth area last night. Has that distinctive fan-game feeling. The difficulty is kinda all over the place, frequently asking for tighter dodging than Undertale does imho. I was very underwhelmed by the writing in the first couple areas, but it did eventually get some good laughs. There's some pretty solid spritework, and while the music doesn't really jump out at me, having the battle theme add elements in from each area is very smart. I'll poke around some more tonight but generally, if you want more Undertale and are ok with it not being anywhere near as snapilly written, give it a go.

I saw from one of their tweets that they will at least be addressing some of the difficulty (and bugs).