Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VJeff posted:

Hot Take: Susie and Rasiel are going to make Toby so much loving money.

Somewhere out there Asriel's going "Oh, he gets a doll and I don't? What a rip off :mad:" Assuming they're not the same person :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

overmind2000 posted:

I never quite understood that interpretation of Chara, they struck me more as being a child that learned from your actions and was a reflection of them for good or bad. They seemingly weren't that nice to begin with but the knife doesn't come out in the original unless you really, really set the worst example possible.

Asriel says Chara hated humanity and jumped at the chance to use Asriel’s powers against other people and was only stopped by Asriel physically holding them back then dying to stop them. The Genocide route isn’t about teaching Chara to be a monster, it’s about validating their existing worldview.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Heath posted:

I know literally nothing about this, I have not read a single spoiler and all I know is that it's related to Undertale somehow.

Does it spoil things about Undertale? I'm trying to get my friend to play the original so I don't want to play this in his presence if it spoils things.

There's a character who's dead in Undertale but is (implied to be) alive in Deltarune, but if you haven't played the original then you shouldn't know who it even was anyway. That seems to be about it beyons doing major deep dive stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dolash posted:

There's no way Toby doesn't end up bringing back the character you made at the start, right? The split between the player, Frisk and Chara was such a big part of Undertale, and now we have Kris, you, and perhaps this "vessel" you made? If the heart represents your soul as opposed to Kris's and Kris can throw you out, maybe you can get put into a new body?

So many possibilities.

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Really interested to see where this goes, especially because I went all-in and named the creator Chara :getin:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Question Friend posted:

Is there a specific hint that Gaster had something to do with this universe or are you guys just guessing

The game opens with a somehow even more sinister remix of his theme from the original game, which was simply titled “HIM”, and called “Another HIM” in DR. So right off the bat if you know what you’re looking for the game is slapping you across the face with GASTER HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THIS WHOLE THING even beyond the meta game stuff with the UT twitter account.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I will never agree with narrachara theory, I plant my flag here, I have taken all comers

Undertale’s narration is standard lemony Earthbound fare that becomes corrupted as Chara starts exerting their influence in the Genocide Route, end line

fwiw, your take on Chara has been the best and most logical one I've ever seen, so that's generally the one I default to. Same with Gaster, but I got a feeling Toby's gonna make us all look like fools in due time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jon Joe posted:

Well considering this entire timeline is a direct response to players desires to save Asreil at the end of undertale, I imagine we're going to get some kind of Hard Choice between the Deltarune or Undertale timeline being canon.

And fans will just weld the two together by any means necessary anyway, thus rendering the whole thing pointless, because, like the man himself said, in the end :matters:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The more I think about it, the more I think the person who said you might be forced to choose between the original Undertale universe and the Deltarune one at the end might be on to something.

Aside from Deltarune, Undertale anagrams out to two different complete words: UNALTERED, as has been pointed out before, and UNRELATED.

So when it comes to the Undertale universe you know and love, you can have it back UNALTERED, meaning everyone gets their happy endings back but Asriel goes back to being dead, and Kris, Susie, Ralsei, and all the other new characters are erased, as are the people they become and everything and everyone they affect their journey. Or you can have the Deltarune universe and let it continue on as it is at the end of this story, but UNRELATED to the Undertale one, so Frisk is gone, and all the work they put into that world is gone with them. And you just have to accept that, like you agreed to when you installed the game...

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 2, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

But then what the heck is Papyrus?

Papyrus and Sans are said to have shown up in Snowdin together at the same time, presumably they're both survivors of whatever the gently caress Gaster did to destroy the Deltarune timeline. Papyrus just doesn't remember any of it because, well, he's Papyrus, come on. :tinfoil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VJeff posted:

I can't wait to play Deltarune on my Playstation 9 in the hellish post apocalyptic world of 2020.

Ah hell, 2020's fine with me if we can make it that far. Bring on the fires and the floods.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I do think there's this weird obsession with multiple endings that seems to ignore or dismiss everything in between. Some of the best games out there have only one story to tell.

As someone who's currently in the process of helping to write a game with many minute variables to an otherwise linear plot, I can easily sympathize with Toby going "gently caress no, I'm only telling one story here."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm just disappointed that we're never gonna get to see Asriel come home from college be the sweet over-achieving nerd he was destined to be before Chara threw a tsunami of monkey wrenches into the mix.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I have no idea what smiley restrictions are on SA but uhhh, effort

Rrrgh. You people are fast

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

He could probably get away with like, hiring 5-6 coders and an additional person to help tem with the art

I don't know how much money he has available though, if any.

I assume his top two picks for the art department would probably Magnolia Porter and Everdraed, seeing as how they worked on the first Undertale with him. A quarter of the monster designs are Magnolia's including Monster Kid and Snowdrake, plus she just put out a video game of her own (Rose of Winter), which Toby used a song from on the Deltarune soundtrack.

The dude who was making the Dreamer Reborn fan game was also putting out some impressive looking stuff in the exact same art style as Undertale/Deltarune before that went radio silent, so I bet he'd probably jump at the chance if Toby actually sought him out too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

To add to the Kris is depressed and suicidal theory when the coin bosses heal themselves the game says that they know how to properly self-care. There are exceptions but the main usage of that term is for people dealing with depression.

It also marks a recurring theme because a few of the post-credit enemy blurbs in Undertale use a lot terminology associated with depression and suicide.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I try to avoid Undertale's fandom for what should be self-evident reasons. Was it confirmed it's a sequel?

That said, the line about "Nobody can choose who they are in this world" was legitimately amazing.

We still don't know. I asked VG to name the thread "Deltarune, a sequel* to Undertale" but he added a second asterisk so :shrug:

Toby's official word is that the two are utterly unrelated, and yet... Deltarune checks your Undertale install directory to see if you have a genocide flag on your save file for that game, for what reason we don't know yet :tinfoil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

undertale fandom is 90% shuffling around characters in every different possible permutation of the same base story, then coming up with a new name for their AU

"this is the one where frisk is a monster and all the monsters are humans!"
"this is the one where all the bad guys are good and the good guys are bad!"
"this is the one where I've swapped toriel and asgore, and grillby and muffet"

et cetera ad nauseum

The person behind the actual Storyshift took the concept "the characters are all just actors like in the Mario games" and actually did something with it that played to the tone and theme of the game. Everyone else just did weird copycat poo poo until they threw their hands up and gave up on it.

The only Undertale fan work that should be bothered with his One by One anyway :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Scarodactyl's easter eggs like the Grillby Genocide Fight are pretty great though.

Assuming it's the same dude, he's incredibly talented and doing some real funny fan art stuff for the Pokemon Reborn LP right now that's really taking the edge off what a cartwheeling trainwreck that game is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

when I played undertale I had a couple of friends who had already played it and they were very, very insistent that I not kill anything, so I killed everything out of spite and got the worst possible neutral ending(because I didn't realize genocide required you to actually grind poo poo out), then went back and did genocide

I've still never done pacifist.

Well, you're in for one hell of a shock if you ever do then :devil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ruffian Price posted:

I thought the Undertale Yellow demo was really good.

I was being partly facetious, there's quite a bit of good fan content out there. OBO is the only one I've seen that I consider really up to par with the original game and basically an ad-hoc extension of it. If I could find a way to make it into a romhack and slip it at the end of Undertale itself, I would, but I've no doubt both Toby and Oxx would kill me if I tried :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I redownloaded the file and installed it in a different folder. My saves appear to be intact.

Weird

I tried something similar. Downloaded a copy and installed it to a different folder to try and test something and it still read the file from the original install location. :shrug:

^^^

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asriel comes home from Uni, sees Kris and Susie hanging out. Gets really confused and embarrassed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jade Rider posted:

Finished it and read through the thread. Game is good, Pie Theory is good, Susie and Ralsei are very good.

Kris? Surprisingly evil.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I was talking to my friend about Undertale/Deltarune stuff today, and his son interjected with

"Undertale? Like the meme?"

and I died, I'm actually posting this, as a ghost

Does he known who Sans Undertale is?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dolash posted:

Deltarune has opened up the internet fan art floodgates and I have very quickly learned I am falling behind the curve of internet youth culture.

Be sure to Deltarune Go to the polls this Tuesday, folks.

Your Choices Don’t Matter in Deltarune... but they do in elections, so be sure to go out and vote this Tuesday, November 6th. And don’t vote Republican either, Sans Undertale hates Republicans. Ain’t that right buddy?

:dunkedon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

Except honestly I don't think Sans has any convictions whatsoever. Well, maybe a couple for loitering :downsrim:

I was gonna make a facetious argument, but that joke was so perfect I’m just gonna let be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Your Computer posted:

at first I dismissed the notion that the ending lyrics is "a secret message" and that every time the leitmotif comes up in the soundtrack it's actually someone trying to say something... but after giving it some more thought, it makes a lot of sense. Consider the following:

'Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark' isn't the only line in the ending song using the motif - the previous line 'With the truth, the promise in our hearts' does also. One might first assume that the 'hearts' refer to the ingame hearts, that is, the SOUL, but what else does a heart represent? That's right. Love. "The truth" in this line is something the subject of the song has been repressing, and when it's followed by the line "I'm with you in the dark" it almost seems... taunting. That's because it is. Let's remember this. The subject of the song is Kris (think of the line "there's a light inside your SOUL" and how it mirrors what the save points say. The other person in the song who is "with [them] in the dark" is a bit trickier - it's a clever misdirection. "In the dark" does not refer to being in actual darkness, but rather being a Darkener. I think you're starting to realize who this is. That's right,

Sans Undertale, son of Gaster "Wingdings" Undertale. Now, I hear you. "What was that about love you said earlier and how does this connect?". Remember the conversation with Sans in the epilogue? The pieces fall into place. The line "Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark" is Sans tauntingly reminding Kris that he hosed their mother.

Sans is Gaster’s brother, not son. Thank you. His real last name is Gaster too, he just goes by Sans Undertale because Gaster’s a goober who thinks talking in wingdings makes him sound intelligent and mysterious when really, it just makes him look like an rear end in a top hat :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Ok, I've done this dozens of times and only get the $40. Is there some trick to this I'm missing?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Between that and one of turning Kris ripping the SOUL out into the Thriller dance, this game strikes me as the kind to have an easter egg in it where the characters would just start dancing to the battle background music if you left them idle for long enough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

after thinking about it i get the feeling that, re: kris' parents, asgore and toriel's separation this time is connected somehow to the fact that kris is adopted

either asgore spilled the beans too early or brought it up in a way that caused kris a lot of pain, and toriel torched their relationship as a result

kris' reticence around him and his usual desperate efforts to get back into toriel's good graces definitely suggest the screwup was his, at least

It's still relevant...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

They adopted six previous kids, each of which died in a different accident for which Asgore could almost-but-not-quite be blamed for.

[an increasingly comical montage of children dying in the immediate presence of Asgore]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Confirmed. Deltarune is a Kingdom Hearts fan game. Ralsei is Asriel's Nobody.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

here

https://archiveofourown.org/works/16514696

The rear end in a top hat wrote a loving excellent short story and is just keeping it at a 1 chapter introspective piece, the absolute fucker

When you think about it, a lovely possum is just like a lovely dog, only upside down.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I love this comment

Izhik Trlyam posted:

Imagine if it's the real Gaster. Like, people made crazy theory about him, how he was the crazy genius, a mad scientist that ripped the matter of reality itself, and he's actually... this guy

That would... actually explain a lot of stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

*smirks and elbows the guy sitting next to me* we're all ears, dude

Oh god do I need to dig out the gif...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thompsons posted:

I like how half of the twitter art I see for Ralsei can't seem to decide if he has just paws or walks around with little booties on. I mean I just naturally assumed he had boots to go with the Paddington look of 'big coat, big hat.'

The sprite implies it’s a pair of pointy toe boots, however the reveal at the end of Chapter 1 throws that into question. Is he a white goat in black boots? Or would his feet be white too if he stood fully in the light? The world my never know

Also the boots complete the whole wizard look he’s got going on...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

an rpg where the PC is not only aware of but actively resents the player's control reminds me a whole lot of the somewhat terrible DS game "Contact"

hopefully this one won't end with Kris actively and futilely attempting to kill us through our screen

Well, that is the name the game window shows during the character creation intro. It says CONTACT up till the moment Gaster throws out your vessle and then dumps you into Kris. At which point the window header goes blank.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jon Joe posted:

I just noticed something.

There are no dogs in Deltarune.

The Round and King Round have the :shittydog: face...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Seriously, there's tons of dogs in Deltarune though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Imagine four dogs on the edge of a cliff...

Wait :wtc: