Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So, since Deltarune is now on Steam, that means it now shows up on Steam Charts.

One day after release and it already has an all time high of 100K, plus anyone who got it off Itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Monsters turn to dust when they die in Undertale and it's likely that's the same in Deltarune despite being a different timeline/reality, so it's possible he's just in a 'fallen down' state then. Or the freeze had some other effect like putting him in a coma.

If you talk to the person at the Gerson's grave in the epilogue, they mention that a hammer is buried in it instead of a body, and all the other graves mention an item, which means that they still turn to dust on death.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm just spoiling this because you spoiled yours but Mike is also the name of the kid who gets sucked into the TV in Willy Wonka's factory

I'm sure it's a coincidence, unless it isn't

I had to edit this like five times because I have never read a book before

Also the name of a side character in Reboot!

Who is a TV, and also spouts commercial phrases non-stop.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

ACAB includes ghosts and fish ladies, Toriel!

...I hope that's not in bad taste. But I'm really wondering if B-Sides will be a thing in every chapter. It feels a lot harder to imagine how you'll push Toriel to murder...? Or at least, pushing her to the same degree we pushed Noelle that still ends with some kind of plausible deniability?

Could be that a Chapter 3 B-Side has you push Toriel into an 'I will literally kill anything that threatens my child' mindset.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Saigyouji posted:

The vessel's name (and presumably the rest of its data) was also saved, so it'll be interesting to see how that comes into play later.

The vessel was made with a head, a body, and a pair of legs.

You know what else was made with a head, body, and legs?

I bet the vessel will show up as the NEO Thrash Machine.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Flesnolk posted:

I'd been hoping new interesting stuff had been discovered in the Japanese version. Any other highlights?

I've heard that Spamton's speech is even more hosed up in Japanese.

Flipping between english, hiragana, and katakana all in the same word and similar stuff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

One thing that gets me curious about Kris' SOUL is that in Undertale, every time Frisk's SOUL changed color it was due to a monster.

Kris' SOUL changed to yellow without help for the fight against Spamton.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah, Hometown seems more like it's an isolated place where the population is just mostly monsters. But there isn't enough info to say for sure, and I'm not sure if there ever will be - I doubt Toby Fox settled down and worked out the exact demographic distribution of the light world when writing the story.

'Hometown' seems like an extremely Asgore name, so it wouldn't surprise me if the place started as a town just for monsters.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Whitenoise Poster posted:

tl:dr Susie has a sister who's name is just a different spelling of Suzy because that's just a thing monster do. For a joke. Good luck finding out how THAT is relevant nerds.

I think monsters just suck at naming things in general.

Where did the monsters used to live in Undertale? Home. Where do they like now? New Home. Where do they live in Deltarune? Hometown.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Oxxidation posted:

read some speculation the other day that Kris’s name actually came from the Holiday family, who suggested it to save them from being subjected to Asgore’s “talent” for names

after all, what would Asgore have picked? probably something ridiculous, like Ralsei

Nah, that'd still be a bit of a stretch for him.

Kris would have been named Togore.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Where do you find the various human items in the game? It does seem implied that not all of them necessarily made it anywhere near Asgore. Hell, maybe at least one didn't even make it to Toriel's door.

Faded Ribbon + Toy Knife: Ruins
Manly Bandanna + Tough Glove: Snowdin
Old Tutu + Ballet Shows: Waterfall
Cloudy Glasses + Torn Notebook: Gerson
Stained Apron + Burnt Pan: Hotland
Cowboy Hat + Empty Gun: Bratty and Catty

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Impermanent posted:

Asgore is more divorced than Dubois but only barely.

How much of that is from Harry going on such a massive bender that he forgot he's divorced in the first place?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, something else I noticed recently is that if you do the thing and then go to that shop, and then show Spamton the disc but refrain from giving it to him, he says that's a real rude thing to do to a "beloved [[stranger]]." He's not entirely incapable of saying the word love.

Yeah, because there's a difference between love and LOVE.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Electric Phantasm posted:

What even is that?

A nub you use in place of a mouse on some laptops.

You know the right stick nub the New 3DS has? Think that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Okay. During the survey at the beginning of deltarune, the backing music is a slight variation of "Gaster's theme", and the surveyor speaks with the same cadence as the writer of the early true lab memos.

The phrase "darker, yet darker" shows up all over the place in deltarune, but only appears in secret gaster-related text in Undertale.

The sound you get when you call with the cell phone in the dark world is attached to gaster in Undertale's game files.

I think that's all the explicit connections and the rest are theorizing.

Also the sprites for vessel creation are named Goner internally, which was also used for the Gaster NPCs in Undertale.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Brandfarlig posted:

We don't know how long it took to gather 6 souls. But if we're talking several years I don't think it's unfair to say that Asgore may as well used what he had, grabbed the last 2-3 souls and went back to open the barrier to get whatever backup is available.

If several souls aren't enough to finish the job and open the barrier they're kind of screwed either way. If you assume that the souls will revolt quickly the plan is doomed anyway. All he'd accomplish is breaking the barrier and lead the monsters into an unwinnable conflict. The only scenario where the monsters go to war and win or at least reach a stalemate is with a super powered Asgore.

It was long enough that most monsters don't even recognize Frisk as human, so we might be looking at decades from Chara and Asriel's death to UT proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The weird route sounds interesting. I’ll have to try it out and see how the rest of the chapter plays out, too. Does anything happen if you murder enemies in chapter 1? It must change the final boss fight considering the enemies you spared are supposed to come to the rescue in the end. I know killing the secret boss gives you a weapon instead of armor.

It changes the cutscene after the King fight, but nothing else. You still get the full recruitment list going into Ch 2.