Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

yeah, I'll check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

At this rate, I'll never find the unfortunate soul who accidentally checked their journal in at the library.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

So far all the Undertale analogues have been in the aboveground, though.

I'm honestly really curious to see where this thing goes. I think Toby had something in mind back when he was making Undertale. I know one of the random NPC in waterfall in the first game talks about how someday you might get to meet his neighbor's child, Suzy, and so people assumed Suzy was the monster kid's name until Toby tweeted that no, it's not. And it always sort of stuck in the back of my head, because why would he specify that instead of just letting it become fan headcanon?

it definitely seems like the guy's got something planned ahead

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

gender aside, I fully support this theory and it would be amazing

the last time you did this, you ate the whole thing! can't let the remorse of eating a whole pie after being told not to rest upon your SOUL, can you? :unsmigghh:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's pretty much around the same thing in that it's an alt universe sort of deal where there's familiar-ish characters, maybe with some changes, but everything is all sorts of mixed up and different. in the case of steel ball run it has no actual connection to the material before it beyond those things which is why i'm curious as to how much deltarune will be directly relevant to undertale in terms of potential literal alternate universes occurring.

so does that make Gaster [THE WORLD] ?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bean posted:

My real name is Kristen and when the game utterly trashed everything I had typed in and named the main hero Kris I just about had heart failure because that's 200% something Toby Fox would do, run a search on my machine for the first four letters of my name or some bullshit.

I'm so relieved that you're all named Kristen too, I guess.

when I played through Undertale the first time, I named the character "Fritz"

so, it was very confusing when they started calling me Frisk :tinfoil:

edit:

Cephas posted:

edit: it's not worth much conjecturing about a story based on just the first chapter, but between the violence that others do that is beyond your agency, the violence that Kris does to themselves at the end of the chapter, and Ralsei's really somber lines questioning whether or not they're in a world that can exist without violence... When you take that along with the beginning messages about a lack of agency, I can't help but wonder if this game is going to take the first game's anti-violence to its next logical step and ask "what do you do about the violence that does exist?"[/spoiler]

Above the self-harm motives, I've got a feeling that this outing is going to deal with the uncomfortable question of dealing with folks who can't be placated or convinced to stop fighting. After all, sometimes you've got to fight, y'know?

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 1, 2018

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I am a bit worried about what direction this will take, given that apparently this was planned over six years ago.

Does the guy still have what it takes to write decently? Or has he been spinning his wheels the whole time with something drafted when Homestuck was big?

eh, I've got faith he'll deliver, so I guess we'll find out

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, it'll release before Barkley 2, that's for sure

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Yeah. It's also worth pointing out that "one ending" and "meaningful choices" aren't incompatible.

Like, sure, it'll all end the same way, but what about the rest that you've done to reach that point? Just because all decisions lead to a singular point doesn't mean things can't differ from run to run.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

EdithUpwards posted:

do not get publishers to involve themselves in your self funded dream project

they're horrible people lacking the expertise to actually do a single desirable thing and if they're involved they can hold your passion project to ransom

*You open the Book of Chucklefish.*

*The rest of the pages are blank.*

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

The fifth one is flipped horizontally.

What difference does a stance make? The lore implications may run deeper than we can possibly follow...

(also blood type deals are super popular in Japan, so it works there pretty well)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dolash posted:

I don't know if that makes the fans materially better or worse than fans of anything else, just that structurally Undertale presents a lot of opportunities for bad audience interactions like that with the way the paths and actions are set up. The game's probably best played alone (and in one go if you get hooked), with no one else losing their poo poo if you kill that first Froggit, whether it's one friend on the couch or an army of stream-viewers.

Edit: I can't really get as immersed in anything, whether game, book, show or what have you, if there's other people around, so something that depends on making an emotional connection doesn't sound like great stream material.

I cringed when I saw the Five Iron Frenzy CDs under the bed, as that immediately called to mind the Earthbound fandom

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I can't wait for the whole thing, goddamn.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jen X posted:

comparing chapter 2 of a 7 (possibly more???) chapter game in deltarune to a completed game in undertale feels like an unfair comparison

I haven't touched my game since I completed it. Six years of a happy universe existing in my cloud save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

A Gamer's Hell

:negative: