Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Ending spoilers: Once the heart is in the cage you can move it with the arrow keys. I think that lends some support to the idea I saw posted some pages ago that the soul being removed isn't Kris, but rather Kris removing a soul that isn't his to resist its control.

I also agree with the "the knife is for pie" theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

CJacobs posted:

It is a lovely little tune. Here's the official upload by the artist.

edit

The soul being yanked out and thrown in the cage represents us, the player, imo. Kris (the real Kris) is literally stealing control of their body back from us at the end.

Did I write that backwards without realizing it because that is what I was trying to communicate, yes

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Jon Joe posted:

We're all missing the most important implication of this survey: There are two Toriels.

Well of course, most modern games do.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently you can skip the intro by using the bed again. You wake up in the Dark World, I had shiny right near me that gave me a wrist protector with a message "even in a rush, you need to protect your wrist." Don't remember finding it on my original play. It wasn't an armor that Kris could use though, and not under items or keys.

I figured out what this does. Once you have that, holding C will advance text automatically. It's a wrist guard for speedrunners who will not tire out their wrists mashing through all the text in the game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Danaru posted:

doesn't it say that outright when you pick it up :confused:

Yes but I was expressing why it is called that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Jon Joe posted:

Oh god there's timelocked content, isn't there. Complete the game under some time to unlock it.

I just tried exactly that and unless the requirement is ridiculous, then not that I could tell.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Worklurker posted:

Chalk has antacid properties.

Most chalk is made of calcium carbonate, which is one of the active ingredients in a heartburn medication I use. Which also explains why it tastes like I imagine chalk would.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Bifauxnen posted:

yay I finally caught up! In all the talk about what's the deal with RK, did no one seriously mention yet that apart from the whole "rules card" thing, he looks like he tried to give himself a cool edgy Kingdom Hearts name? It's like DAARRK SOUL +X

I tried to come up with one to joke about but gave up.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Pollyanna posted:

So how are we all dealing with the impact that we're nowhere near as capable of the creativity and talent that Toby Fox has? Or is it just me :smithicide:

Fortunately for me one of the things I like best about Toby Fox's work is his use of disappointment as humor, and I know all about disappointing people.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

That's an anagram of Hero piety. Amazing!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Silly theory In Undertale there's a line "Beware of the man who speaks in hands." and people have assumed that refers to Gaster's wingding stuff. It could be less literal than that! Rouxls Kaard, named for a rules card/a list of hands, could in that sense be that entity! But I have no idea what the significance of that would be if that were the case.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I mean, if you're a flat card then chances are pushing a 3-dimensional block slightly would seem like an incredible challenge.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Your Computer posted:

it has begun :negative:

What? This conflicts with my theory that gaster and chara are doing a good cop bad cop routine on the universe until they finally get the evidence they need to shut down sans' illegal hot dog stand.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm glad this was mentioned because I've been feeling like The World Revolving would totally work as a boss theme for the Mario and Luigi series.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Is

Is susie a yoshi

and here I thought she was a relative of Tessie

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If in later chapters Lancer joins the party and gets into a solo battle, will Lancer's soul be represented by a spade in the battle interface?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

That's perfect, did you find that or did you make it?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Since the barrier was made by human magicians in the first place clearly the most peaceful thing to do would be to wait for enough humans to fall and try to teach them magic in hopes they'll get really good at it and become good enough to dispel the barrier under their own power.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Oxxidation posted:

chara probably never lived there considering the kids' room has only one bed

Didn't Asriel have his own room that you just can't ever go into because of renovations or lock or something like that?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

voltcatfish posted:

My vote is for Undyne, because she's the true hero after all.

I would want Undyne because Smash is pretty much exactly the kind of combat she trained for.

Unrealistic but I would also take Susie.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That's kind of how a lot of Isabelle's moves are. Of all her moves the one that most look like she's trying to actually attack is a toy hammer.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Samovar posted:

Eesh. Wonder how the developer got Toby to do a track.

This is what was meant by "I'm with you in the dark."

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Magitek posted:

reposted from the Steam thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwCKPhlyU5M'

Holy poo poo there are no words

I think it's important to note that this fight comes completely out of left field after a cutscene where a character is lost in grief.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

No Wave posted:

Undyne can do whatever she wants in neutral and pacifist and she'll be forgiven. During genocide she's cut in half and dying and tries to be as kind as possible to monster kid while it's happening, fights harder than anyone, and loses with a smile because she gave it everything and knew to the bottom of her soul she did everything she could. She'll always be thought of fondly because of how admirable she is there.

I find what Undyne says after being defeated there to be the most heartbreaking thing because it's clear she has the most absolute faith that Asgore will put a stop to the player.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The soul colors are representative of various human qualities and the characters that are also associated with those colors have those qualities is what I thought the game was going for.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zereth posted:

Ah, so Frisk is associated with Ball Game.

Definitely, did you see how they defused that basketball?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

TheArchimage posted:

It is rather difficult, but not impossible, to read Undyne as representing Kindness. But even someone who likes Alphys is going to raise an eyebrow at the suggestion that she, of all monsters you meet in the game, best represents Justice.
I don't think the colors the monsters use on you is related to the human traits those colors represent in the Ball Game. There are only so many visually distinct colors.

I was thinking Mettaton over Alphys.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The thing that made me try Undertale was seeing the trailer, which says no one has to die, so I decided going in that I would insist on killing nothing, assuming it would make the game more challenging. Somehow I did not get tripped up on Asgore since I took the destruction of the mercy button as a sign that it was time to fight.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I just realized that ralsei has a black heart on his clothing and I am gonna take a guess that it's not a stylized design but rather literally his missing soul. Sometime before ch1, Kris and Ralsei met, Ralsei gave Kris the soul. I also think it's possible that by seeing lightners change by going into the dark world that we're being misdirected a bit since so far it's mostly been clothing changes, but Kris' skin color would suggest more dramatic physical changes are possible.

My guess is therefore that Ralsei is a lightner that undergoes a much more dramatic transformation, when in fact he is a human, hence why he has a (presumably) human soul.

It is already established in deltarune's world that a soul can be manipulated independently of a body, since it is possible to control the soul after Kris throws it into the cage at the end of chapter 1. So, if Ralsei is just allowing us use of his own soul, it makes sense that he would have the ability to reassert control to move it to go see what susie is up to at those particular times in chapters 1 and 2. Supporting evidence in how perturbed Ralsei seems in the alternate route when he tries to send the player to get see what Susie is up to and it's not working.

If this is all the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Ralsei's lightner form was that of the vessel.

However, what Kris and Ralsei are potentially up to together, I don't know, but I'd imagine the goal is not something evil, but to trick or district the entity that is manipulating souls (the player).

Of course, we're still early in the game, so not enough information.

If it is something like this, I'd expect that the Ralsei being an anagram of Asriel is the hint that Kris and Ralsei are actually siblings, and possibly the bunker has or had something to do with human soul experimentation (perhaps in fact the direct opposite of the true lab in undertale), and that as a result of the experiments Kris was simply discarded, leading to them being found and adopted by the Dreemurs.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Motherfucker posted:

It also kinda feels like Kris is taking 'Hes gone to college' a little hard, right?

Kris, having never died, is simply not prepared to pay 9999g for the armor Asriel will learn to craft there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Scarodactyl already revealed the truth about Gaster though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB8xO5XxA70