Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I love the idea of this game, but only beat one round at like, AI level 6 or something. Typically once I get to half a dozen planets or so I just get Option Fatigue, which probably isn't helped by all the DLC being active. On one hand I could turn that nonsense off, on the other hand.... GOLEMS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Looking forward to hearing about the strategy for the endgame. I've taken down all the Core Shield Generators in my 6/6 game, so I figured I'd run an experiment by throwing about 300 mark IV/V ships at one of the AI homeworlds just to see what would happen. Not surprisingly, a bunch of mark V enemy ships appeared, took down my fleet without much fuss, and kept right on going until they hit my planets and overwhelmed my defenses. RockyB's LP finished off the AI by crashing a planet into one homeworld and nuking the other, so I'm curious to see what a more "conventional" homeworld attack looks like.

Part of the appeal of the game is that past a certain level of AI complexity, there really isn't a "conventional" attack, you're scrounging whatever you find enroute to the AI home system into some kinda best-fit solution. My only completion to date was a botnet golem and flock of whatever the self-replicating buzzsaws are called damage racing an Avenger's Death Star as it flew implacably to my home planet, which owned massively.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yep, this is the tempo that sends me fleeing to Golems. This constant running from place to place making incremental progress while wave after wave after wave thrashes whatever you've cobbled together as an approximation of a "core" system is pretty much The Game.

Like pretty much every other Arcen game, I adore its construction, and playing it for more than an hour makes me want to lay down and take a nap at the sheer number of Things happening, all the time, always. :sweatdrop:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The real Dark Souls AI War starts here

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This update, RIGHT HERE, is why I cannot conceive of beating a game with a few expansions on without leaning on golems. You hit a point where after eating through half the galaxy there's SO MUCH coming at you and fleet ships just cannot power through enough while rebuilding fast enough to handle it. It won't be so bad as that Super Terminal going forward, but it it'll be pretty bonkers nontheless.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Neinzul will be what it is, but I'm really interested to see what's on deck for Spire. I got a few steps into that special branch, and.... well, y'know how I said earlier I would just get plain exhausted by the pace of the game halfway through? :haw:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Iunnrais posted:

People keep talking up the botnet golem like it's this game-ending broken thing that can practically solo the game, but it doesn't seem to do that much. Is that because you aren't using it properly, say... on the front line... or is it overvalued by other people? Or am I just not seeing the value?

After this video: do you see the value?

That'd absolutely be a wipe without the botnet golem screwing up the AI's targeting priority. Hive secured it, but botnet 100% made it safe.

(you also totally lucked into the two best golems for this scenario, hahaha!)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Iunnrais posted:

So, is the spire what the AI is canonically focused on in the other galaxy, allowing you the respite of not being crushed from day one? Or are there additional threats to the AI out there?

:getin:

This pace of combat, right here, is why I would just get tired even playing on lower difficulties and flaked on a difficulty 7 game. I really like this game! But after a few minutes of twelve thousand sprites shooting Math at each other I just need to lay down and take a nap. Even with the campaign providing some structure and funneling waves into relatively predictable areas its just so much all the time.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This goes so, so so so so so very differently if you don't just sit on 20k research waiting for god-tier ships to unlock having also gotten very good golems up to this point. There's a reason the game reminds you this late "y'know, you made it this far: if you're reading this you could probably just play it straight at this point NBD"

But that was done, so what comes next is an ASMR Instagram Most Satisfying AI Melting Compilation 2019 from here to the very last frame and its going to be so good to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sindai posted:

Ah, unfortunately you actually didn't get to see the biggest thing the AI's got

At this point I gotta ask what it is...