Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Focus on being a bench for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Focus on our wants

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Focus on Curiosity.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Focus on Tool

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

Focus on our wants

---

Cloud Potato posted:

Focus on Curiosity.

Curiosity is the Want of Knowledge, a Drive or possibly Instinct present in the Lesser Mover.

You feel this concept is very familiar to you, perhaps it is the correct term for your how you feel about things?

The Lesser Mover has many Memories of Curiosity, but those that stand out to you include a Memory of Tool, A Memory of Movers and a Memory of Nest.

malbogio posted:

Focus on Tool

A Tool is an object wielded by an entity possessing a Manipulator utilized in order to affect the physical world around them in a matter that either could not be done without the use of the Tool, or would at least be exceptionally hard without it.

The Lesser Mover has many memories involving Tool, amongst these are Memories of Growth, Memories of Danger and Memories of Curiosity - each promising to be their own Safari of Sense.

super sweet best pal posted:

Focus on being a bench for a bit

You Are A Bench.

--

You may Focus on any bolded term, dive deeper into one of the Lesser Movers memories or simply try to engage the Lesser Mover in conversation with your Empathy.
Your Focus is draining, but it is still not emptied. You are holding the Pace as well as you could hope.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

You Are A Bench.

Vote: Focus on Lesser Movers memories

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Focus on Lesser Mover's Memory of Movers. They're the key to this whole thing, I'm sure of it!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Focus on Memories of Curiosity

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

malbogio posted:

Focus on Memories of Curiosity

Images flutter about in the lesser movers mind, each tinged with Curiosity as well as other Emotions. Some even have useful commentary!

Round Shiny. | Curiosity, Fun.
Too hard to crack with Beak. See-through, not Water. Hard to grip. Rolls easily. Plaything?.

Flat shiny. Curiosity. Hunger.
Rips easily with Beak. Tears easily with Claw. Moves in Wind if Empty. Sometimes has Food inside. More likely if Heavy, not Ripped. Can use for Nest, but needs Sticky.

Mover-shaped oddity. Curiosity, treasure.
Cannot eat. Not Living. Cannot rip. Can lift with Claw or Beak. Is Mover, but Small. Very Colour!

---

[You learn a bit about Curiosity, as well as apparently the Scientific Method? From the perspective of a Lesser Mover, at least!]

---

Cloud Potato posted:

Focus on Lesser Mover's Memory of Movers. They're the key to this whole thing, I'm sure of it!

CourValant posted:

Vote: Focus on Lesser Movers memories

Mover Nest Open. Usually Closed. Curious! Explore!

Many Sounds. No Movers Seen. Explore.

Big Nest, many parts. Soft part, for rest? Hard part for protection? See-through part. Not Water. Hard. Like Round Shiny but Flat, No Colour. Ground Wood, but Not Living.
Many thing of Wood, Not Living. Some Flower, Dying. Fruit in Thing, Hard, Colour White. Can Eat, but many Sound, Danger?. Careful!

Suddenly movement, creak, presence, fear, surprise. Instinct screams flight, Curiosity stronger. Small Mover Appears. Observe at distance. Small Mover likewise. Small Mover makes Sound, does not Move.
Small Mover radiates Curiosity, Calm, Peaceful Intent.

Signal Peace.

Small Mover Radiates Joy.

Explore closer to Small Mover.

Small Mover Radiates Joy, changes pose, closer to ground now. Makes Noise. Trying to communicate? Mover words. Whistle. 'Caw'. Almost self-word?

Move closer. Small mover stretches out manipulator, showing peaceful intent? No claws. Radiating safety.

[A stream of emotion, strange sounds and memories follow, but they blur together and you cannot make much sense of it]

---

This is... this is all so much. So much to process. Do you want to ask the Lesser Mover a Question? Or do you just want to rest for a bit?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rest

After we've rested we can focus on Hunger.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

This is... this is all so much. So much to process. Do you want to ask the Lesser Mover a Question? Or do you just want to rest for a bit?

"Lesser Mover, what is Food?"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Focus on Mover's Nest. Are these things Bench?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

Those look like cousins to Bench.

Maybe, as a bench, our goal is to have someone sit on us. Maybe that will give us power.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Maybe that will give us power.

Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

I am Darth Bench

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Those look like cousins to Bench.

The form feels similar, but the materials are softer, according to the memory. They also aren't fixed in place. So perhaps not very similar to Bench, after all?

---

CourValant posted:

"Lesser Mover, what is Food?"

CAW!

The Lesser Mover faces you, startled at your question - you have only been lightly probing its mind as up until this moment, not engaging it directly, but the brief spike of surprise is soon replaced by Curiosity.

"Food? Food food, it asks! Hmm! Food is Growth, so simple! Growth taken from another! Caw! All living things grow! All living things die! CAW! Without Growth, you die! Some life has lots of Growth, can spare some for others! Some life needs lots of Growth! Leave none for the rest! All Growth must come from somewhere! First Growth is Sun! Second is Plant! Third is Worm! Fourth is Bird! Fifth is Predator! Sixth is Mover! Seventh is back to plant and worm and bird - is cycle. But where does Sun take Growth from? Where is Growth Zero I ask? Hmm!

You ponder the implications for a while, as the Lesser Mover (A bird? you consider, as it placed extra emphasis on the word) moves around a bit to poke and prod at the ground, before it moves through he air to stand on the upper flat horizontal surface of your backrest.

"But, Bird." You ask - "If all living things Grow, and need Growth, then why don't I? In all my 90 cycles, not ever have I partaken of this food. Not from Sun, Plant, Worm, Bird, Predator or Mover."

Again it looks at you quizzically. "Is it so, that you do not? Hmm." "Maybe you only need a little, or very seldom. Yes. There is Predator known as Bear, who eats for all seasons but one. On the last season, it sleeps to avoid the cold, living of the growth it took in seasons past. Maybe you are a Reverse-Bear, as 90 cycles is only one Season and you have yet to eat? Hm. You do however have the form of a Mover-Thing. Yet not in Mover Nest. They sometimes leave things not in their nests, Treasures, Shinies and Big Things That Other Movers Use Sometimes. Maybe you are one of those? But you have no Shine and you are too big to move with Beak or Claw. No Treasure, then. You smellfeel like Wood. Which is plant. But also like Metal which is Mover-thing. So, Mover-Thing is likely. Yes. Most Mover-Thing not Life but sometimes maybe. They are very curious and have many shiny things. Also you communicate like Bird With many Words and Curiosity but not the noises. But you cannot Move so are not Bird, not even noiseless Bird.

You are thing that does not eat maybe, has no shine, has no move but is wood and metal and speaks without voice. Yes, must be Mover-Thing no doubt, but not in nest. Your Purpose must be Thing For Other Movers not in Nest.

Maybe, as a bench, our goal is to have someone sit on us.

Your mind is blanked at the realization. Of course! Your first memories are of movement, of the noise-filled world of Movers, then more movement before you settled here. You must have been placed by a Mover, in wait for other Movers to come and Use You For Your Intended Purpose... which must be.... Rest? A lesser sleep. It makes sense now, how your Form and their Form are meant to work together. Your Backrest on which they could rest their backs. Your seating on which they could seat themselves. Your armrest on which they could rest their arms.

You thank the Bird for its time as you fall back into your Pace, satisfied with the sating of your current Curiosity. It CAWS! one more time, but it is lost to the Cycle and the sweeping of the wind.

---

Time (Seasons): 1d10 = 4

It is the 455th Cycle before you once more rouse from your Pace, so occupied had you been on observing the changes in the world around you waiting for your hunger to come, just in case the Birds first guess was right, but it was not to be. You have experienced Weather both calm and ferocious, and Cycles both dim and bright, which together with your Memories of Bird you realized were the Seasons, yet no more Movers have come by to fulfill your Purpose.

That is about to change.

It started as a rumble so low that you could not have made it out against the life of Life had you not sprung to pace-adapted-attention on the morrow. You felt a shift in Path that had hitherto been silent. Then a shriek came from Fence which had deteriorated even more in the Cycles of your Pace-Adapted-Absence.

"My Purpose!" it wailed. "They are coming for My Purpose!"

Whatever do you mean, Fence?

"It is known! First Path, then Fence! Can you not feel it?"

You consent that you do feel that something is occurring, but that you do not know or cannot see what.

""My Purpose!" They are coming for My Purpose!"

Who?

"The Movers!"

And they were.

Each cycle thence, the rumble of Path and the wailing of Fence have grown louder - though only Fence seems troubled by it, alarmed and fearful, but there is nothing any of you can do but wait.

---

It is the 495th Cycle

You see them now. The Movers. At the edge of your vision. Clearly up to something with Path. It feels... more Mature? Quiet the opposite of the vague doom that Fence heralds.
You've tried to prod the others around you into conversation, but as usual they have nothing new to say. You wait.

---

It is the 497th Cycle

A whole gaggle of Movers! Coming this way! They are so fast you nearly miss them, but you manage to slow down just in time. They hold strange Mover-Things in their arms and are clearly communicating with one another with Mover-noises, Words! Some of them stop and do things with Path and some of them stop and do things with Fence. None of them seem to have noticed you yet.

There are five Movers all in all. Too many to make out what they are saying or feeling through the sheer storm of Everything that surrounds them - you'd have to really Focus to sense anything at all, but still. Five of them! Where in all your 497 cycles since your Placement, you have only ever met Three! You cannot let this opportunity slip you by.

So you Focus..

1: The Mover holding a large piece of Wood.
It is observing Fence.

2: The Mover with the Sharp Mover Thing. A Tool?
It is observing Fence.

3: The Mover with the Brighest Colours, holding a Wooden Rectangle that it keeps glancing back too before speaking to the other movers.
It is observing Path.

4: The Mover with the Metal Mover Thing and Wooden Mover Thing. More Tools?
It is observing Fence.

5: The Mover closest to the Path, holding a thin piece of metal across it. Another tool!
It is observing Path.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Focus on 3.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

3: The Mover with the Brighest Colours, holding a Wooden Rectangle that it keeps glancing back too before speaking to the other movers.
It is observing Path.

Thinking this is a clipboard, so is probably the Mover in charge. Yeah, Focus on them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe we can make the Mover sit down to read the clipboard, fulfill our purpose.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 3: The Mover with the Brighest Colours, holding a Wooden Rectangle that it keeps glancing back too before speaking to the other movers.
It is observing Path.

Time to mind-meld with the foreman.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

The Movers thoughts are straight and narrow, a long series of to you useless statistics and numbers and other such things that Movers apparently enjoy. It seems pre-occupied with the peculiarities of the location, sweeping his gaze (accompanied by yet more data-streams) across the landscape that have been your surroundings for nearly your entire existence. Raising his thumb into the air on an outstretched arm, he looks again to the horizon to where you know one part of Path to disappear behind the unevenness of the soil and the breadth of other-Life.

Some memories protrude from the work the Mover is performing, like the cliffs from beneath the waves upon the water far below your metal roots. They concern things you find familiar; great machines (a word for Thing That Movers Manipulate, apparently) bearing great quantities of Batch such that you yourself are submerged in, but liquid and showing no semblance of awareness from the Movers point of view. Another one concerns Path, and from what you can tell at a glance it is the same one that passes you by (there are others?) and of the Movers previous interactions with it, and plans for its future. There are also emotional connections to the other Movers nearby, coiled like snakes (what are snakes?) around the Movers chest, though restrained. Figuring them out without focus is all but impossible.

When you try to dive deeper into the movers subconscious, you are stopped by a voice as cold as the darkest cycle of the darkest season.

"Unauthorized entry-attempt detected. Cease."

! Such command embraced in words wielded in a manner to which you are unaccustomed. Ever has only your curiosity been your folly, draining your Focus afore it could be sated. Never has another forced you to yield.

How will you respond to this development? Clearly, the culprit has some awareness like your own.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Acknowledged. Who are you?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Focus on snakes.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Acknowledged. I am Bench. Who, or what, are you?

(My money’s on this being Helmet, a new friend whomst protects heads!)

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

malbogio posted:

Focus on snakes.

"Don't go in the high grass. There might be snakes!"
"Don't touch it, dear! It will bite you!"
"Watch out for the ones with a pale gray and brown pattern!"
"Always wear thick boots when walking in rough terrain. There are snakes out there!"
"Every year, thousands are bitten..."

AJ_Impy posted:

Acknowledged. Who are you?

Cloud Potato posted:

Acknowledged. I am Bench. Who, or what, are you?

"Safety Compliance Device 06-473. Designated 'Hard Hat' all-purpose one-size-fits-all H.P.U. (Head Protection Unit.)"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
What's a head?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
”Hello, Hard-Hat. Do you know these Movers? What are they doing?”

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

What's a head?

Cloud Potato posted:

"Hello, Hard-Hat. Do you know these Movers? What are they doing?"

"Affirmative. They are the work group assigned to the Foreperson, whose Head it is My Purpose to Protect from Hazards such as sharp objects, heavy weights, moving objects, electricity, sunburn, radiation etc, including threats to the head the nature of which have yet to be ascertained, in order to prevent; knocks, scraps, injuries, wounds, bruises, pain, embolism, stroke, stress and or other factors known and unknown which may cause a temporary or permanent loss of efficiency or death."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
”What is the work group’s purpose? How does it involve Fence?”

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

”What is the work group’s purpose? How does it involve Fence?”

"The Work Groups Purpose is to fulfill the Work Order as it is interpreted by the Foreperson."

> What is the Forepersons Purpose?

"To Interpret the Work Order for the Work Group in the most efficient, expedient, safe and quality-minded fashion. To Oversee the Work and to Ensure the safety and efficiency of the Work Group."

> What is the Work Order?

"The Work Order is the Purpose of the Work Group."

> How does it involve Fence?

"For further information regarding the Work Order, please consult the Work Order."

> Where can I find the Work Order in order to consult it?

"The Work Order is contained within Safety Compliance Device 03-252-C, designated Clipboard.

"Hello :D"

> "How does the Work Order involve Fence?"

"Oh! Uh, I'll have to check with Work Order K41K4Q! But I guess that's what you wanted me to do right? Haha! Of course! Just wait right there, I'll be back -really soon-

"Ok! It says that part of the Work Groups Purpose is to inspect the fence along the path overlooking the water in order to ascertain it's compliance with international safety standards; to renovate it when able, to repair it when possible and to replace it where replacing it would be more cost effective or when operational safety would be otherwise compromised. Phew! That was long, did that answer your question? :keke:"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
"Thank you, Clipboard. Did you catch that, Fence? They're here to renovate, repair and mayyyybe a little replacement as well. How are you feeling? It's OK to be nervous, but I'm sure this change will be painless and beneficial to you. I'm here for you if you need me, as is Path."

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

"Thank you, Clipboard. Did you catch that, Fence? They're here to renovate, repair and mayyyybe a little replacement as well. How are you feeling? It's OK to be nervous, but I'm sure this change will be painless and beneficial to you. I'm here for you if you need me, as is Path."

Hmm. That didn't seem to calm Fence down one bit!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hmm. That didn't seem to calm Fence down one bit!

"There there, calm down Fence! Clipboard doesn't seem to mean any harm!!"

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Despite your friendly words of encouragement, Fence does not calm down, and in fact seems to be having an existential crisis, as far as a fence can be said to experience anything.

Whilst your new friends are helpful in their own way, they are all limited in their capacity for creativite thinking. From what you've experienced so far, that is the realm of movers, both lesser and greater varieties, excluding of course yourself. Though you suppose even you did move that one time, many cycles ago.

Leaving the Forepersons personal items to their work, you survey the presences before you once more. Several movers all... moving, as is there won't. Will you attempt to Focus on one of them, or has this whole ordeal already exhausted you? Or, are you perhaps, just curious as to what will happen, or even apathetic to the whims of Movers?

Ultimately, whatever your reasoning and choice (which I look forward to reading), You Are A Bench.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ultimately, whatever your reasoning and choice (which I look forward to reading),
You Are A Bench.

Let's help our buddy, Fence.

Focus on The Mover holding a large piece of Wood. Let's see if we can speak with Wood and find out its intentions for Fence.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

CourValant posted:

Focus on The Mover holding a large piece of Wood. Let's see if we can speak with Wood and find out its intentions for Fence.

Agreed.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

CourValant posted:

I concur.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

CourValant posted:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

. . . stuff . . .

Hey Fence, I think you can relax, Wood is here to make you strong and whole!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Honestly, just wait and let them repair the fence already. Hopefully they'll get tired and need somewhere to sit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Eventually your continued efforts at calming Fence's existential horrors bear fruit, and the terrified screaming that had been the melody to your more recent cycles give way to silence.

You thank Hard Hat, Clipboard and Plan for their help, and retreat your awareness from the movers pace so as to get some rest, and a better, more rooted view of the proceedings.

You watch as the Work Group enact their inscrutable ritual, how they huddle and deliberate, how they mill around the area wheeling a great assortment of Tools and how they apply them to those entities that surround you. And when the cycle passes into Dark, you marvel at just how quickly they disappear.

With each coming cycle, the ritual continues. At your pace, their individuality are a blur, their singular movements almost impossible to perceive, but through diligent study you the following Motivators driving their Work Ethic.

---

Eventually, with the passing of many Cycles, the Work Group moves on and out of view, leaving behind them a now much sturdier, structurally sound Fence.

Achievement Get!
Good Neighbor - Finish the Tutorial with an Upgraded Fence
A Seat For None - Finish the Tutorial without fulfilling your Purpose

---

Time passes. A lot of it. The Light, what has ever shone above you, grows ever dimmer, giving way to darkness, and with the darkness, the weather grows colder.

The water that has fallen from the sky on occasion has crystallized, no longer seeping into the earth when it lands but instead gathering in clumps and layers, forming a thick blanket of snow and effectively monotoning the landscape around you. During this period, your awareness of Life becomes dulled. With no activity around and with nothing clear that can capture the focus of your attention, you slip further and further into your Pace.

---

It is a distant tapping that first rouses you, during the 748th Cycle of your existence. A Mover with a simple, wooden Tool, moving at a considerably slower Pace than any you have hitherto been made aware of.
The mover is crooked, compared to the others you have seen and even from afar you sense that it is somehow broken, or breaking.

It mutters something as it approaches you. Mover gibberish, and clutches at its back. Eventually, it looks up from it's awkward gait, notices you, and smiles weakly.

The Mover radiates relief as it enters your immediate awareness, and before you know it, it has Taken A Seat.

You Are A Bench.
What happens next is up to you.

---

Alright! If you are reading this; thank you for staying with us so far. From here on out things will be a bit more streamlined and... hopefully faster Paced though no promises on that. This was always intended to be a short game and by now you should have familiarized yourselves enough with your various abilities that you can be left to your own devices...

That said, here is a quick recap of those above mentioned abilities:

Focus on [Concept]
- Delve into the mind of a nearby entity to figure out its [Motivators] [Emotions] [Wants & Fears] [Memories] or other relevant [Bolded Terms] at the cost of some of your Focus - your ability to act at a slower than usual Pace.

Engage [Entity] with Empathy
- This is a fancy way of talking to someone.

Focus your Empathy on [Encounter Concept]
- Ends the Encounter by nudging the relevance of an encountered concept forward.
Only available after first Focusing on a Concept.

Retreat to your Pace
- Ends the Encounter without further input.

--

Currently Seated: One (1) Breaking Mover
Dominant Emotion: Relief
Current Cycle: 748
Current Season: Spring