Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Welcome to the Gaslands thread!

What is Gaslands?
Gaslands is a tabletop miniatures wargame created by Mike Hutchinson and published by Osprey Games set on a dystopian alternate Earth. Think Mad Max meets The Running Man.

1969: Apollo II, first manned Moon landing
1976: Ares I, first manned Mars landing
1979: August, first Martian settlement
1982: Civilian Martian colonisation begins
1991: Martian Secession
1999: Martian Attack and Earth's collapse
2008: Gaslands TV show launches
2018: Present day. Gaslands 10-year anniversary

The Setting
The year is 2018. Earth has been under Martian occupation for 19 years. The war left much of Earth destroyed and her population enslaved by the corporations of Mars and their relentless efficiency. Earth is a ghetto. All money goes to Mars. While some resent those that betray their fellows to work for a Martian corporations, many simply cannot afford ideals. The Internet is gone, but television continues under the global control of The Network, a nest of greedy and traitorous Martian collaborators. The Network's executive producer and chief anchor man, David Logan, is responsible for its line-up of ultra-violent blood spores and gas-guzzling death games.

The jewel in The Network's crown is Gaslands, broadcasting amateur and professional death races from across the world as teams battle for a place in the prime-time international final. This spring Logan is offering a prize unique in the ten-year history of Gaslands: a one-way ticket to Mars. Escape from the broken and crumbling Earth to make a new life in that haven of the rich and happy. The deadliest death races! The wildest half-time extravaganzas! The craziest audience participation! Everywhere David Logan's executive intervention can be felt. His vision is simple. This year must be the most spectacular Gaslands season ever.

The Models
At the center of this game are the cars, trucks, and motorcycles of Gaslands. These models, unlike most other tabletop war games, can be sourced cheaply from Hotwheels and Matchbox cars bought from a variety of sources or looted from an unsuspecting child's toy box. You can use unmodified cars straight out of the package, or paint and modify them into Mad Max-esque post apocalyptic death cars (or any other aesthetic that suits your fancy).

Did You say paint and model?
While the game is the main thrust of Gaslands, a substantial community exists (primarily on Facebook) of people that mod and paint their cars, as well as sellers of bits and resin cast parts to use with your vehicles.

Do I have to strip the cars first?
No, you do not have to. Many people have had great success painting directly over the original paint job on their models.

What if I want to strip the paint?
Great, go for it. Suggested strippers are acetone or any hardware store paint stripper like strip-x. Always use appropriate protective gear and disposal methods when using paint stripper.

Acetone? Won't that melt the plastic parts of the car?
Yes it will so you will need to disassemble the car first so that you only strip the metal parts. The simple way to do this is with a drill.

What about the wheels? Should they roll or not?
This question is hotly debated in the Gaslands community. The correct answer is: Do you want them to roll or not? Yes, the leave it be. No, glue them into place.

Do the cars have to be WYSIWYG?
No they do not. Some people add guns and even magnetize them to swap them out. That said your lists will change frequently and doing weapon swaps can become challenging.

Do I need tiny people to drive my cars and man the guns?
No you do not. Though they can add a certain flair if you want to add them.

How do I get Started?
Buy the rule book, print out some dashboards, get some cars and terrain, a fist full of dice and some templates, and go!

This game is typically not well supported by many FLGS as the only sale they might see is the rule book and precious little else. Therefore I recommend you head to Amazon, or your preferred equivalent seller of books, and find a copy (hard copy or digital) to use. Dashboards can be found in the core book, but online team builders exist and are easy to use (see below). The cars as mentioned previously can be found in toy stores, department stores, dollar stores, even grocery stores, as well as charity shops, yard sales and the aforementioned hapless child's toy box. The dice can be standard D6s that can be found any/everywhere. Special skid dice do exist and they do improve the game in my opinion. There are no official skid dice, but many are available online. Look for the Friends of Gaslands when purchasing, as these makers of Game Accessories and Miniatures pay a small support payment to the Gaslands Patreon, which is better than nothing. One last thing, Gaslands uses template based movement, but fear not the rules come with printable templates that you can glue to cardstock (aka cereal boxes) and cut out for pennies. As with the dice, people have made sets of templates for sale and they are a very nice addition to the game. Again, look for Friends of Gaslands when buying. Or make your own dice and templates! Thingaverse has lots of files for 3D printers and laser cutters.

Game Overview
Here's the 60-second version of Gaslands ...
-To get started, buy your teams and choose a scenario. Set up some terrain, deploy your cars and roll-off for the first move.
-Each turn, you count up from gear 1 to gear 6 and in each gear phase you activate every vehicle currently in that gear or higher. Cars in higher gears will therefore move more often than cars in lower gears.
-To move, you pick a template that is allowed by the gear that you are currently in and place it down in front of your car. If you touch a template you must use it! [Note that many disregard this rule and allow template handling, and only insist you don't "test fit" templates prior to final selection.]
-Before you move your car, throw some skid dice to shift gears, spin or slide. When it comes to the skid dice, shift results are good and hazard results are bad.
-Shifting gears, sliding and other actions are going to cause you to build up hazard tokens on your car. If you pick up six hazard tokens you wipe out at the end of the current activation. You can use the shift results on the skid dice to clear hazard tokens, so keep an eye on them.
-After making your skid check, move your vehicle along the template into its final position.
-If you drive into anything, you resolve a collision. Collisions are normally bad news for the lighter vehicle, and worse for everyone if they are head-on.
-After a car moves, it has a chance to attack. You can make one attack for each crewmember. If you're getting shot at, you can try to evade the attacks.
-If you take too much damage, eventually you are going to get wrecked and might also explode.
-When racing you have to drive through the gates, in order, in the right direction and faster than the other guys.

The Sponsors
With the promise of the right to ascend to the shining Martian pleasure domes, there are many who are ready to generously sponsor new reams. Each has lucrative advertising deals in place, of course. Sponsors give your team access to perks which let you play in very different styles.

RUTHERFORD
Grant Rutherford is the son of a militaristic American oil baron. He is aggressive, rich and uncompromising. His beaming face, beneath his trademark cream Stetson, adorns billboard advertisements for his high-quality and high-priced Rutherford brand weaponry. Teams sponsored by Rutherford get access to military surplus, missile launchers, tanks and helicopters and as much ammo as they can carry. After his team won in 2016, he was only too happy to kiss the Earth goodbye and now runs his company from his highly exclusive Martian office.

MIYAZAKI
Yuri Miyazaki grew up in the rubble of Tokyo, fighting her way to the top of the speedway circuit with incredible feats of daring and vehicular agility. She has a small fleet of elite couriers who run jobs for the wealthiest or most desperate clients. It is whispered that she also runs guns for the Pro-Earth Resistance, but no one who spreads that rumour lives long enough to spread it far. Miyazaki's drivers are unsurpassed in their skill and finesse.

MISHKIN
Andre Mishkin is not a natural sportsman. However, the brilliant Russian engineer and inventor proved in 2010 that technology is just as solid an answer as skill or ferocity on the track. From his research and development facility on Mars he continues to send designs for unusual and devastating weapons and sleek, hi-tech vehicles to Earth for field-testing by the teams he sponsors.

IDRIS
Yandi Idris is an addict. From the first time the hot and sweet fumes of a singing petrol engine filled his nose he could find no other joy. He said that the first time he pressed that nitrous-oxide button was like touching the face of God. Mystical, irrational and dangerous, the Cult of Speed spread like wildfire after Idris' meteoric rise during the 2012 Gaslands season. He crossed the final finishing line in a ball of fire and his body was never found. His fanatical followers say that at 201mph you can hear his sonorous voice on the rushing head wind.

SLIME
Slime rules a wild and feral city in the Australian wastes known as Anarchy. Young people crawled out of the wreckage of the scorched earth in their thousands co rally round her ragged banner. The wild-eyed and whooping joyful gangs of Anarchy are led by Slime's henchwomen, the Chooks, who seek fame and adoration from the global Gaslands audience.

WARDEN
Warden Cadeila is proud to live in Sao Paulo, a shining hub of humanity and relatively untouched by the war. The Sao Paulo People's Penitentiary has three of Gaslands' top ten teams in the past decade, and the Warden continues to grant her prisoners a chance at freedom as long as the Gaslands franchise continues to deliver the sponsorship deals. The deal isn't great for the damned souls who are welded into the Warden's solid steel "coffin cars", but it's better than the alternative.

SCARLETT ANNIE
Gaslands is able to support a vast ecosystem of villainous and scurvy raiders, picking off richer teams as their rigs roll from one televised race to the next. Many of these self-styled pirate crews have gained renown, but none have rivalled the infamy or showmanship of Scarlett Annie. A dashing and flamboyant buccaneer, her cult following is likely more to do with her canny association with the long-running “Death Valley Death Run” documentary TV series than any particular skill at dust bowl piracy. (This sponsor is from the Time Extended free newsletter from the Gaslands site).

Online resources:
The game's home site. Good for FAQs, and other useful downloads https://gaslands.com/
Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/gaslands/

Team builders:
http://lukerazor.dx.am/GTB/GTB_inline.html
https://gaslandsgarage.co.uk/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v6JXeNKx6eL0kMlFrrpCsNeL9HWWUZx_AQV4HccJTF4/edit#gid=0

Useful videos:
A basic (if sort of ugly) tutorial series of videos on how to play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FiAmOfk1Q

Another less ugly, single video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWtBLgFRYEY

How to drill out rivets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqr65LSyaR8

Stripping paint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zCl4hAqrk

Tampo Removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ImhEED8dg

MadMax Custom How To.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzK_yo1qx2M
An amazing video series of very well done cars. Probably more effort than I'd ever put into a car for the game, but an amazing source of inspiration.

And always remember the rule of carnage. In Gaslands, if a rule is unclear, choose whichever option results in the most carnage for all concerned. This is The Rule of Carnage.

Get cars, drop templates, chuck dice, have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
:perfect:

I welcome the new thread for Gaslands!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gaslands is cool as gently caress and I'm building minis again because of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

As long as you're not trying to stick-shift up or shake some Hazard tokens or something it's often really advantageous to roll 0 skid dice, right? I mean, if you actually want to go where the template is taking you, Likewise, it seems like it's often pretty advantageous to keep an uncancelled Slide out to cut a maneuver short and end up with a more lateral move, especially with front-mounted machine guns like the book suggests for your "test run" game.

Also, gearing up your cars early can be good to get them extra activations right in the first round, but in a deathmatch kind of scenario instead of a death race it almost became a burden to be going that fast and showed how different the maneuvering becomes when different gears are in play.

Does all that seem correct? Or am I missing something?

Other random thoughts:
-The rule about 'touch it, use it' for templates is really dumb, this isn't chess and they aren't little pieces nicely laid out. Am I supposed to velcro the fuckers to some kind of Yu-Gi-Oh gauntlet or something? I get what they're going for, I think, where you can't grab it and eye it up and make sure you won't sideswipe a wall, but I feel like that rule just doesn't work well on a practical level as strictly as they've written it.
-The rule that you can pre-check range for shooting is exactly as not-dumb as the above rule is dumb.
-Crew #freerollingwheelz4lyfe

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Ive got a pile of cars, 28mm ww2 bits and a hard on for kitbashing.

But theres no gaslands events at adepticon on the draft event list. Wtf.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

The touch it you use it rule is actually great and speeds up the game loads. Plus it's really funny when you get it wrong.

This game is amazing because even though you are playing a game with a bunch of static cars it makes you feel like you are barely ever in control of them and you are always one move away from an amazing wreak.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've seen others complain about the touch-it use-it rule and I sort of get it, but I think it should be adhered to. They only exception we use is when they end up stacked on each other, we just move them and say "I'm not selecting this, just moving them" so we can at least see our options. Still, play however you like so long as no one is using the workaround as a means to get a measurement on the board. Another suggestion might be "If it goes over the board, you're stuck with it" which works if your templates are on a side edge or other table.

Also, having your opponents pick a valid template when you screw this up is always very very bad for you, which is hilarious.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

As long as you're not trying to stick-shift up or shake some Hazard tokens or something it's often really advantageous to roll 0 skid dice, right? I mean, if you actually want to go where the template is taking you, Likewise, it seems like it's often pretty advantageous to keep an uncancelled Slide out to cut a maneuver short and end up with a more lateral move, especially with front-mounted machine guns like the book suggests for your "test run" game.

Also, gearing up your cars early can be good to get them extra activations right in the first round, but in a deathmatch kind of scenario instead of a death race it almost became a burden to be going that fast and showed how different the maneuvering becomes when different gears are in play.

Does all that seem correct? Or am I missing something?

Other random thoughts:
-The rule about 'touch it, use it' for templates is really dumb, this isn't chess and they aren't little pieces nicely laid out. Am I supposed to velcro the fuckers to some kind of Yu-Gi-Oh gauntlet or something? I get what they're going for, I think, where you can't grab it and eye it up and make sure you won't sideswipe a wall, but I feel like that rule just doesn't work well on a practical level as strictly as they've written it.
-The rule that you can pre-check range for shooting is exactly as not-dumb as the above rule is dumb.
-Crew #freerollingwheelz4lyfe

Zero skid dice is entirely a valid and useful option when playing. Both skid and slide results are way too often cancelled out by players. You can accomplish some amazing maneuvers by combining them, you just need to ensure you don't get too many hazards while you pull off your move.

Gearing up too fast can be very problematic, especially for new players. Templates become hazardous to use or are unusable at the highest gears. Slow and steady can be a solid strategy (provided the dice are on your side from roll to roll).

Regarding the If you touch it you use it rule. It can be fun once people are more familiar with the game, but it can seem unfair and even cruel to new players who get turned around when another player selects a template for them. I understand that's the point, but dunking on new players and making the game seem unfair before they understand it can be very off putting. Just my two cents.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Wait - so the active player chooses how their car spins if it has an uncancelled Spin left over? I had to triple-check that last night because we ended up throwing a ton more dice than the first game just to try to luck into a Spin to line up a shot.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Wait - so the active player chooses how their car spins if it has an uncancelled Spin left over? I had to triple-check that last night because we ended up throwing a ton more dice than the first game just to try to luck into a Spin to line up a shot.

Spin results
Page 14. In movement step 1.8, if the vehicle was moved to an unaltered final position or a slide final position, the player controlling the active vehicle may rotate the vehicle up to 90 degrees in either direction. The vehicle may not be rotated more than 90 degrees about its centre point. If the vehicle was placed into an interrupted final position, the vehicle may not spin (but will still have received the hazard rokens from the spin result during the skid check).

As I understand it the only times another player decides how your car moves or is orientated are the following:

Selecting a maneuver template
Page 10. If a player selects a template that is not permitted, then the player to their left may select and place any permitted template for this vehicle. The active vehicle may not roll any skid dice, but must apply any free icons from a hazardous or trivial maneuver, and the resolution of these icons is controlled by the active player.

Wipe out step
Page 29. The player clockwise of the player controlling the active vehicle rotates the vehicle about its centre point to any facing.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 5, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

So I read it correctly, then. That...kind of means spins are straight-up advantageous as long as you can eat the hazard.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

So I read it correctly, then. That...kind of means spins are straight-up advantageous as long as you can eat the hazard.

Totally. The struggle is upshifting and spinning can pile on the hazards quickly, especially with all the other ways to gain them.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 5, 2018

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

This reminds me of something I've been thinking about.

I've only gotten to play a few times, but I was still immediately trying to grapple with what number of hazards on a car is 'a problem'. (In the sense that a 3-cube city in Pandemic is 'a problem'.) I found myself getting into deep doodoo when I would suddenly get blasted or rammed and be spinning out. At first I thought it was 4 because it means a smash attack will wipe you out, but I think it's more complicated than that. If you are in your highest gear or the highest you wish to go to, wiping out might be okay, because you weren't going to move again anyway. It's not like shifting up is hard, and the only downside is gaining hazards which you just cleared. Then again, that also cuts down on your evade dice in those later turns if someone else is in gear 5 or something. This also obviously ignores possible benefits like Battle Hammer. Also, though you can play it pretty safe but if you decide not to gear up and miss out on an action, the opportunity cost there is pretty huge.

Any thoughts on this?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

This reminds me of something I've been thinking about.

I've only gotten to play a few times, but I was still immediately trying to grapple with what number of hazards on a car is 'a problem'. (In the sense that a 3-cube city in Pandemic is 'a problem'.) I found myself getting into deep doodoo when I would suddenly get blasted or rammed and be spinning out. At first I thought it was 4 because it means a smash attack will wipe you out, but I think it's more complicated than that. If you are in your highest gear or the highest you wish to go to, wiping out might be okay, because you weren't going to move again anyway. It's not like shifting up is hard, and the only downside is gaining hazards which you just cleared. Then again, that also cuts down on your evade dice in those later turns if someone else is in gear 5 or something. This also obviously ignores possible benefits like Battle Hammer. Also, though you can play it pretty safe but if you decide not to gear up and miss out on an action, the opportunity cost there is pretty huge.

Any thoughts on this?

The big danger is being in a high gear and having 6+ hazards at the end of your activation. You will have a wipe out check and likely fail if you are in 5th or 6th gear, so you will flip. The damage you incur could be problematic, especially for prison cars and motorcycles. Also since another player controls your final facing, not only will you be pointed the wrong way, but they can spin you into a collision and further damage your vehicle.

Furthermore if you can avoid wiping out, even if you aren't moving any more this turn, you won't have to shift back up from 1st if you can maintain 3rd or 4th gear at the end of the turn. It feels good when the gear phase resets to 1st and you are sitting in 3rd gear, only rolling dice if you want to.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Is anyone else driven batty by the suggested base sizes?

The fact that cars and pickup trucks and buggies are all 30mmx60mm is bothersome to me, mostly because most cars are wider than 30mm and some are longer than 60mm. Since I use bases this is very apparent.
I am also irked by the fact that almost everyone uses oversized monster trucks and buses. Monster trucks are supposed to be 40mmx80mm, but the Hotwheels Monster Jam trucks have a bigger footprint. And finding a bus is almost impossible. The Hotwheels and Matchbox buses are comically undersized, on par with most cars, while scale model buses are almost always over sized from the recommended 40mmx100mm. The real issue I have with buses is that many I have seen are 130mm+ and that is a big advantage when moving, as the length of the vehicle factors into movement. A motorcycle, a car, and a bus lined up at the starting gate all moving medium straight will finish at notably different positions. I don't have a good solution, and I'd feel like a jerk if I called out somebody for having a bus longer than 100mm, but they are (unintentionally) modeling for advantage when they use longer vehicles.

This is my impotent and mostly :mediocre: rant. Thanks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I still haven't played the game, but... a bus only 60% longer than a pickup? :wtc: Is this a minibus or an oversized van or something? I thought they were supposed to be standard, schoolbus-sized large vehicles.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Let's get some more pics in here!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I still haven't played the game, but... a bus only 60% longer than a pickup? :wtc: Is this a minibus or an oversized van or something? I thought they were supposed to be standard, school bus-sized large vehicles.

I cut a bunch of bases out last night and I have come to the conclusion that "oversized" bases are just fine. Keeping to the recommended base lengths for buses and war-rigs is hard, and the results look stumpy beside standard cars. I guess the fact that having a bus that is 120-130mm is a bit of a trade off as making a model that long avoid debris and walls is difficult and might offset the fact that it outpaces a car by 60+mm during each move. I guess that a bus has a max gear of 3 helps the cars to catch up.

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm hoping to get some pictures of my cars tonight.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Those bases are the "minimum recommended sizes". Maybe they're there to make sure someone doesn't cheat with a smaller footprint? That's just speculation though, I don't honestly know.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turns out if you're a 40 year old dude who wanders into a local toy store asking after Hot Wheels cars, the clerks and mum patrons will stare at you like you're a paedo.

They didn't even have them :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Turns out if you're a 40 year old dude who wanders into a local toy store asking after Hot Wheels cars, the clerks and mum patrons will stare at you like you're a paedo.

They didn't even have them :(

Some people report getting strange looks when digging into bins of Hotwheels at Walmart. I think you need to care less as it is likely they aren't really paying you much attention and the paedo stuff is a part of the story you are tagging on in your own head because you feel self conscious. Parents must be in toy stores all the time without their kids, especially with Christmas just around the corner. Ignore the pearl clutching masses, get them cars!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i have children so when im being a manchild i take them with me and let them pick things out also

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Related question: does anyone have experience with Majorette toy cars and Gaslands? My local all purpose tech / computer superstore stocks them and they are a bit cheaper than Hot Wheels over here in Finland. They SHOULD be the same scale as Hot Wheels but should does not always equal does.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Related question: does anyone have experience with Majorette toy cars and Gaslands? My local all purpose tech / computer superstore stocks them and they are a bit cheaper than Hot Wheels over here in Finland. They SHOULD be the same scale as Hot Wheels but should does not always equal does.

Gaslands is kind of a "good-enough" scale game as between different manufacturers and even in the same line of cars from the same manufacturer the scale can be all over the place.

Does it look cool? Is it roughly the right size for the vehicle you want it to represent? Good. Buy it.

Realize that in Gaslands these two cars have the same suggested 30mmx60mm footprint.

And when manufacturers make toy cars, quite often the scale goes out the window. There is an SUV , a school bus and a panel van that all have the same rough dimensions when made into toys, all in one package. :shrug:

It really is odd and a little liberating, throwing off the limitations of more finicky games by just accepting that this game has no official models, so you just have to go with the flow.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zark the Damned posted:

Here are my finished models and my most photogenic works-in-progress (the less photogenic works-in-progress are sitting out). I haven't had as much time to work on these as I'd like, sadly, so I haven't finished the flamethrower big rig or many of my generic machinegun cars yet.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Love the blue hot rod with the medieval lance

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cross post from the painting thread.

Did a test Gaslands car, converted from a cheap Matchbox scale car I got from the supermarket, some plasticard, and some Ramshackle Games bits.

There's a magnet under the divot on the roof, and under the skull plate covering the engine. I've got some guns, turrets, and gunners that I'm going to paint up and magnetise.

EDIT: That car started out yellow

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 11, 2018

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I finally took some pictures of my first cars and my gates.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some people report getting strange looks when digging into bins of Hotwheels at Walmart. I think you need to care less as it is likely they aren't really paying you much attention and the paedo stuff is a part of the story you are tagging on in your own head because you feel self conscious. Parents must be in toy stores all the time without their kids, especially with Christmas just around the corner. Ignore the pearl clutching masses, get them cars!

I've seen guys picking through those bins, I just assumed they're collectors looking for some rare variant of something or other, because that's what people do these days

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I've seen guys picking through those bins, I just assumed they're collectors looking for some rare variant of something or other, because that's what people do these days

It's been a thing for quite a while apparently:

In 1995, Mattel released a new series of Hot Wheels called Treasure Hunts. They were randomly packed into cases with only 10,000 of each vehicle produced. Being extremely popular with collectors, the 1996 set was increased to 25,000 of each vehicle. Subsequent years haven’t revealed the quantity produced, but the cars remain difficult to find. They can be identified by the card packaging which has a green bar and can say “Treasure Hunt” or “T-Hunt”.

And this is over and above the cars that are more rare per case or super special chase cars like the gold 50th edition one that was recently released.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

what did you use for bases?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what did you use for bases?

I am lucky enough to have access to a laser cutter so I made 35mmx65mm bases from MDF and covered them with a Liquitex natural sand Acrylic Texture Gel.

If you want to make some and don't have a laser cutter handy you might want to try something suggested by forum legend Buffalo Chicken which can be accomplished cheaply and with basic hobby tools.

BuffaloChicken posted:

I've posted this before, but wanted to again share my favorite terrain basing material - vinyl tiles.

Buy 1' square from Home Depot for about $1.

Arrange terrain on the tile's adhesive side.

Cut out the bases, sand the outsides smooth, peel off the paper backing, and stick your terrain on.

Glue on sand and details.

Done!

The vinyl tiles are cheap, can be cut with a pair of study/sharp scissors, and are extremely durable. No need to worry about chipping or warping.

I like the way that a base lets you know exactly where the template lines up with your car. Also not allowing them to be accidentally knocked around and rolling back or forth during play is nice too.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Indolent Bastard posted:

What did you use for the mesh?

I finally managed to strip the paint off my Hot Wheels and I've got a ton of bitz coming from the UK, so I'm looking to scrape together other cool customization stuff.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

What did you use for the mesh?

I finally managed to strip the paint off my Hot Wheels and I've got a ton of bitz coming from the UK, so I'm looking to scrape together other cool customization stuff.

The red and blue car have aluminum mesh that I got at a craft store. The package shows its intended use as a base for sculpting.
http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/wireform/WireForm1.htm

Others have found the same kind of mesh at auto supply places for fixing car bodies.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bondo-self-adhesive-body-patch-0475813p.html

The orange and green car have old screen door mesh. Contemporary screen mesh seems like it's totally flat plastic and metal screen door mesh will just come apart, so don't use metal screening. The old stuff I found have some depth to it and won't unravel.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Screens-Tools-Accessories-Rolls-of-Screen/N-5yc1vZbch7

Some people have reported success using cut up mesh strainers from the dollar store, but I would anticipate the same unravelling issues with it as when using metal screen door material.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cheers. How big would you say the loops are? We probably won't have the same brands in Finland so it'll be scrounging o'clock.

I think I might also take a look at non-stretching cotton bandages. I've used them as camo netting for 28mm World War II stuff so it might work. After soaking in a PVA glue solution it dries quite stiff and durable, so if the loop size looks suitable...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Cheers. How big would you say the loops are? We probably won't have the same brands in Finland so it'll be scrounging o'clock.

I think I might also take a look at non-stretching cotton bandages. I've used them as camo netting for 28mm World War II stuff so it might work. After soaking in a PVA glue solution it dries quite stiff and durable, so if the loop size looks suitable...

I'd be guessing at the loop sizes. I will always say err on the side of getting the smallest available. I will try to take some pictures when I'm home.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Screening material!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So about 2mm on each at the widest point. Cheers for that! Some people on Gaslands forums were recommending frying pan splatter screens as primo screen material. I'm gonna keep an eye open for those and try out my cotton gauze in the meanwhile...

E: Well it kinda could look like uneven steel mesh if I paint it right, but it's not a long-term solution. Time to find a splatter screen.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 16, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, if you're anything like me you probably don't give Matchbox cars much of a look when Hot Wheels tend to be more wild and Mad Maxy right out of the box, but I was checking out the Matchbox section and bumped into Matchbox's "Road Raider"

Good tires, slatted windows, a bulky bumper, a pair of dogs riding in the truck bed, (edit: and a non-gloss paint finish that will take primer like a champ)... it's like the perfect "beginner" car for people who want to try painting or converting but aren't sure where to start. You don't even have to disassemble it, just prime and go!

... There's also a food truck.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Do y'all take your cars apart to prime them, even without stripping the paint? I'm doing my first batch of spray primes and having to do multiple coats to get the paint in all the nooks and crannies of my cars.