Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Whoof, ya that's a hell of a final boss!

Thanks for going through this game to show it off! The extent to which you enjoy it really came out during the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Don't think this is a game I'd be into playing but it was a cool game to show off. Great job, Mega.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Thanks for the LP, Mega! :toot:

Also, while the two party setup looks nice, it really hammers home how annoying the lack of shared XP is. Neglect someone going into this? gently caress you enjoy your forced deployment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's nice to see that Square-Enix is willing to experiment with the standard formulas instead of just playing it safe, but there are definitely parts of this game that have to be regarded as failed experiments. Oh well. Thanks for the LP.

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019
Thank you so much for showcasing this wild ride.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for the LP, it was great!

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Not to mention the lack of a proper fight against Lyblac. :argh:

This was definitely something that sucked yeah, they should've just cut out the boss rematches and instead have the "split into two parties" thing from the start and have one take care of Lyblac and the other some kind of possessed Kit/Graham whatever and just hear all of the stuff from the plotdumps from Lyblac and Graham's own mouths before segueing into the final fight.

The music's definitely one of the better tracks.

Either way, thanks for the LP Mega, it's been one hell of a ride.
I agree with a lot of your sentiments regarding how this game is pretty perfectly targeted to some people, but I have to admit I still prefer the core gameplay mechanic of Brave/Default over Boost Points.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Fantastic Job on the LP!

So what was everyone grumbling about for the final boss before this update? It looked hard, but I got the impression there was some big Dick Move coming.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Schwartzcough posted:

Fantastic Job on the LP!

So what was everyone grumbling about for the final boss before this update? It looked hard, but I got the impression there was some big Dick Move coming.

The big dick move threefold: no save point, no indication that you'll need to use all eight characters and forcing you to go through all eight refights before fighting Galdera - even if you wipe.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Schwartzcough posted:

Fantastic Job on the LP!

Galdera is hard as poo poo, yes, but I'd rank him up high on the list of RPG final bosses. Think about it.

RPG's are based around the idea of building on the basics. You learn A, you learn B, you learn C. And from that, you build up to A2, B2, and C2, and so on. But typically there's a cap. Your team just gets so strong that those mechanics don't matter nearly as much anymore. A prime example is Final Fantasy VI. By the end, how many character's special abilities are you using? It's almost all magic. Or Breath of Fire, based around dragon forms. Typically by the end (At least in 1 and 2) it's the Ryu show and everyone is just there to help him keep the dragon attacks coming. And it's a hard thing to avoid. You want your game to be unique so you base a lot of it around the unique aspects.

But Galdera, you have to unleash every last trick you've learned. A, B, C, A2, B2, C2. Your playbook is cleaned out. Everything the game has been teaching you, you have to use to win. You need to plan and exhaust your resources (you will break your Elixir habit against him). It's a fantastic fight for that reason alone.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Some Numbers posted:

The big dick move threefold: no save point, no indication that you'll need to use all eight characters and forcing you to go through all eight refights before fighting Galdera - even if you wipe.

Adding to that: Evil Eye is a marathon of a fight if you don’t know the mechanics in advance and get really liberal with those elixirs. The entire gauntlet can run 2-3 hours easily before wiping you if you’re sufficiently strong but insufficiently strategized and prepared to leverage all your resources, and you lose all of it if you wipe.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't know, a part of me kind of likes that the execution doesn't even care to try and make this last hurdle more personal or character-driven. It's not cathartic but it kind of works thematically.

This last quest is anticlimactic and not very well executed but the concept is pretty strong. The eight travelers haven't been in it to save the world from the beginning, they were just doing their own personal stories and along the way met some people that were involved in a plot to bring back an evil god, but this isn't really part of their own narratives. It's just a thing they're doing because, well, they've got to. Walking their paths they've learned how to manifest the power of their respective deities, each becoming a tacit avatar of a different god, who else but them can stop this threat? Oh and the antagonist here was pulling the strings behind most of their ordeals all along, thus setting up her own downfall, but none of the heroes ever knew this until the end. It's almost coincidental that things turned out the way they did, that our heroes were in the right place at the right time to do all these great deeds and save the world, and that's kinda cool?

I would probably prefer it way, way more if all the issues everybody already pointed out re: characterization and tying plot threads together in a more natural way were addressed but I can kinda see what they were going for by not writing things that way.

Cool LP, Mega! I really like this game's mechanics. I'll definitely play the next one in the series when it comes out for PC.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 22, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, buckaroos, let's send this sucker to the LP Archive for a rest.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dunno if it got edited in, but...

Banish Soul, Galdera’s ultimate attack after you hack off his supporting limbs in the second fight, actually has a neat property to it. If you successfully break him before he finishes casting it, your party’s BP gets maxed out for either the next round or immediately, I forget which.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
This was such a great LP. Thank you so much!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Thanks for doing this LP. It looks like it took an incredible amount of work, and despite my not having commented much, I do appreciate having gotten to see this game (and I doubt I'd have seen it otherwise).

I'm trying to put together some final thoughts on this game, because I'm still pretty torn about a lot of aspects, and I'm not sure what I think of it overall.

I ended up being spoiled relatively early on about some aspects of this ending, though not how it was actually executed. As a result, I was paying close attention to the interconnectedness, and appreciated the way they were able to weave it in to the individual characters' stories without being too obvious about it. That seemed pretty cool, and I was interested to see how the ending/postgame story was going to tie it all together. Then you actually covered it, and it turns out it's just a giant text dump and some boss fights. There's so much potential in the writing here, so much lore and backstory and implied content, and it doesn't do more than give us the outline.

Which is in keeping of my general opinion of the writing in this game, really. There's so much lore and worldbuilding, so much detail in the background, and yet when it comes to a lot of important things (like characterisation and party dynamics) it tends to fall down and just not do enough. It seems to me like there's the outline or skeleton of an absolutely fantastic story here (this absolutely cries out for a novelisation, I think; I keep hoping fanfic authors will take a stab at it), but I can't help thinking it feels a lot like a GM's notes on a tabletop RPG campaign that's missing the players' contributions (beyond their initial character sheets).

Of course, the music and aesthetics are absolutely fantastic, so maybe that helps fill in the gaps as you're playing it. But from the position of a spectator, I kept feeling like the writing never quite lived up to the potential it showed early on in the first chapter or two of each character's story, and left this feeling more and more hollow as it went on.

And of course the gameplay, which doesn't look like it would appeal to me (I have some idiosyncratic gripes I won't bother you with, I think they're more a me problem than a game problem) but I'm sure is fantastic if it's the sort of thing you like.

So I'm left feeling mildly disappointed. I wanted to love this game, but find myself instead mourning its lost potential. The concept and structure are really strong, and deserve praise in their own right, but I think on execution everything here could have been so much better.

Edit: Maybe I'm judging this game by too high a standard, because there are definitely games that were written worse but which I didn't feel called to criticise. I think that in and of itself is symptomatic of the problem here. Octopath Traveller was ambitious: it set out to do something legitimately amazing and elevated our expectations to match. And, therefore, I think it's in and of itself a form of praise to say that it failed to meet the lofty bar it set itself, and evaluating it on those terms seems to me a form of respect.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 23, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Excellent LP! I even bought the game because of it!

I will say that I stopped playing the game after losing to the eye, realizing I'd have to grind everyone up to some stupid high level and refit the 8 Boring Bosses, and then said gently caress it.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Also throwing in my congrats to Mega64 on finishing this LP. Your weeks of sprite rips and screenshots will not be forgotten.

On my first playthrough, that lore dump really tied the whole thing together for me. I teared up when I got to the end of Graham's third diary entry. "I aM A mAN!!!" I killed Graham, not Red Eye, during H'aanit's last battle. I felt terrible. :(

It was me, goons. I was the one that ate it when I realized I don't have enough JP for everyone to learn Saving Grace by the time we reach The End Game. But the final boss really makes you use every trick in the book. Woe unto those who went to Hornburg with no plan and insufficient JP.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The game does toss you a small bone with the refights, they shower you with JP and of course you've had to beat all 8 paths and get reasonably beefed up in that process. But even if that's enough, you can easily wipe from not knowing what to expect so doing an extensive boss setup as prep is even more potential lost time.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
Congratulations on completing this, and thank you for the great LP!

I never did all of this, I did most of the side stories, never beat the direwolf, and struggles against the first part of the fight and then ate poo poo to the second. I decided I didn’t feel like grinding to complete it, so that was it for me. I still greatly enjoyed this game, despite its flaws. I think I still might have preferred a Bravely Third or whatever, but at least a lot of people enjoyed this game.

So yeah, take a rest, you’ve earned it!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh! I just remembered!

Have a gander at someone who beat both halves of Galdera in 9ish minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7b1PYvjc4

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As an aside, the Octopath Traveler OST is up on Spotify now, and probably is on or will be on most other major streaming services soon enough based on SE's previous OST streaming releases.

I haven't submitted this to the archive yet due to laziness, but it will get there eventually. Still no real idea for my next LP, may just move on straight to my next "serious" LP after a few more weeks of break. For now I'll just binge through FFXII and try to catch up on all the games that came out this summer.

I'm glad this LP was useful, even if to persuade some of you to not buy the game. It's definitely a divisive game for sure, and while it does a lot of great things for some RPG fans (such as myself), it's clearly not for everyone and does have its fair share of flaws, which can range from minor to dealbreakers depending on the player. I do hope the sequels fix most of those flaws to capture a greater audience while still keeping the elements that made me love the original (the world-building, presentation, characters, and combat), but I guess we'll have to wait and see about those.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Thanks for LPing this. The LP definitely persuaded me not to buy the game, but I appreciate your effort.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've started a new LP. I have a serious problem...

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I'm looking forward to your new LP and I'm so happy I got to experience this gem through your excellent telling of this one. Thanks so much for the entertainment, and godspeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

After months of sitting on my rear end doing nothing, I finally got this LP on the LP Archive.

Meanwhile I've already started another LP because why not.

Thanks again to everyone who followed this crazy LP the entire way through! Still can't believe I showed off everything I did in under a year!