Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Aw yiss... ground floor.

... I really need to get around to finishing this game one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Couple of typos in the first story update:

Mega64 posted:

Correct you are, Your Highness! It was a time of great strife here in the Flatlands, as the eight clans waged a long and bitter war. Change would come when the armies of Grandport invaded these lands some two centuries ago. At the time, the rulers of Grandport sought to exert their influence over territories island.

I think this is supposed to be "territories inland".

Mega64 posted:

But of course, Your Highness. It would be my pleasure to answer anything. After all, my role as your tutor is an important to me as any of my research. Unfortunately, I cannot spare much time. Is the question a quick one?

Should be "is as important".

Mega64 posted:

Fail five times, and you have to bribe the barkeep at the tavern to spread good rumors around you or else you can no longer do path actions in that town. Or you can just save scum.

Not really a typo, but this feels like it would read better as "spread good rumors about you," or possibly "spread around good rumors about you."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like Cyrus's next companion should always be looking for a bargain.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I started my game a bit further south of where we are currently and traveling north up this path, so I ended up recruiting Tressa before Cyrus.

It was extremely amusing to me to have her max Boost Collect against the boss of his Chapter 1, given that said boss was apparently already neck-deep in debt. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I'm hoping megacorps can still take the equivalent of Syncretic Evolution for a Sorry To Bother You start.

... what.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

H'aanit rules, her story is good, and she's a strong character. Fight me.

... If I accept your challenge, am I actually going to fight you, or are you just gonna sic a bunch of random animals on me while hiding in the background like a spineless coward?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

This is the story I chose to start the game with.

Everything about Helgenish makes my skin crawl.

Mega64 posted:

The crown is looking thin tonight.

Should be "crowd" I think.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Good loving riddance. Everything about Helgenish is utterly vile, reprehensible and irredeemable. Gutting him and leaving his corpse to rot away in the sands is one of the most satisfying moments in this game, especially if you started as Prim.

:fuckoff: forever, Helgenish.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, also started with Primrose, and it really wasn't an issue. As Mega64 says, it's scaled down in numbers if she's your starting character. I can see it being a challenge if you didn't bother to allure anyone to help you, but as long as you remember to take someone along with you (pretty sure that old man is your best bet when you're first starting out), it's easily doable.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

Even Tressa's mother is a valid target, though I've never tried it myself.

Amusingly enough, if I remember correctly, Tressa's mom is easier to Allure than her dad is.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I did the sick girl variation of the Blue Dancer side story; I had no idea that there was an alternate solution for that one.

Mega64 posted:

Olberic's boss was insane. I have no drat clue how I didn't wipe on that one. I would've lost if Tressa didn't proc a clutch evade.

Plus the boss music played for that one. You all are in for a treat when that boss video goes up.

Some Numbers posted:

I’m excited

:yeah: :same: :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

theshim posted:

It's one of those things that irrationally angers me. Similar to people consistently using the wrong one of hoard/horde. I am mad about language and that's stupid!

Lose/loose is the one that drives me up the wall.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Olberic's got the best max boost line in the game, though I'm also a big fan of Primrose's and Cyrus's. In particular, there's just something about Primrose's tone of voice in her delivery that just gets me every time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I voted for Alfyn because we need a healer, so it's either him or Ophelia and I figured we might as well just keep going clockwise.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

I won't begrudge you a Cait now and again, just to boost into later areas and such. I suppose it's pretty unbalanced unless the people yet to join are getting XP too.

Nope, everyone who joins starts at level 1, and people who aren't in the active party don't earn any experience from battles.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

Do the monsters stick around to get whacked, or are they just attacks? I can actually see in the lategame H'aanit having them primarily to hit off-weapon or off-element weaknesses or... to buff? If they can buff? It wouldn't really matter how strong they were in that case.

When they're summoned in battle, they basically come out, do their attack/spell/whatever, and then go back into whatever off-screen limbo they exist in when you're not using them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I like how it's not enough for Alfyn to just go into the cave, knock out the snake and collect the venom... he feels compelled to sass it, too. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

OK.

That Golden Axe is end-game level strong. There's a 3% chance to steal it at Therion, and if you're willing to savescum you could have a great weapon to last you the entire game.

The Argent Axe is also overpowered for this stage of the game but it's only a Chapter 2-tier axe at best.

This guy sounds like he was probably an honest woodcutter in his youth.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Not to mention the timeless classic:

https://twitter.com/TheKimersonShow/status/1017848876039049217

:allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

If I remember right, I believe you can also buy all the weapons with Tressa instead of just stealing them, but I don't think it actually changes how anything plays out.

Though it is kind of amusing to think of Tressa offering to buy up the weapons and the poor folk being like, "Sold! ... Wait, poo poo, I needed that to enact social reform!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

One of my favorite things from this game's job system was making Tressa a Thief, giving her the Incidental Attack passive, and then using Collect on enemies.

*shakes enemies down for money*
"Thank you!"
*STAB*

"Always looking for a bargain," indeed. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

She can open up a pet shop where people can have an adorable murderous frog man as a lifelong companion.

Actually, she can't; capturing animals and animal people is exclusive to H'aanit.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

That was eggsellent. Nice to have a sunnyside update after the dark turn Cyrus's story took. And the Egg Man sure is one shell of a character.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Tressa politely thanking people and monsters after shaking them down for money, only to immediately follow up by shanking them will never stop being funny to me. Especially if she Boosted for it. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Well we're still on track for CHAPT TOO, so that means we have to do Primrose next.

That said... if we were to go for Therion or Tressa next, we could end up taking the CHAT POOT route.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Vanessa's plan doesn't really make a lot of sense because if she's just in it for the money, there's no reason to poison anyone poor.

Hell, if anything, she could have spared a single vial for Flynn to use as a test case to prove that it would work, then turned around and jacked up the price on the remaining vials to compensate for her reduced supply.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bleh, I meant as a demonstration, not a test.

Basically, just cure the girl for free to prove to the rich folks that you're on the level, then fleece them for all they're worth and then some.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Given how much everyone is praising how much of a good foil Ali is to Tressa, I'm expecting him to either get killed, or at the very least injured or imprisoned, by the guy who owns the mining operation in this town for daring to turn a profit under his nose without giving him a cut.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid over nothing. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

inflatablefish posted:

So the real skill of a master merchant is to turn up with a party of murderhoboes and beat the living crap out of people.

Why waste good coin on some second-rate sellsword when the power of friendship will allow you to dish out all the first-class asskickings you need free of charge?

"Always looking for a bargain," indeed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Also: what’s a good OCTOPATH acronym that starts with A?

Going back to the theme of ladies being thirsty for Cyrus: ATOP HOT C

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

We have to do CAT PHOTO at some point.

Since we're going to have Cyrus stuck in our party no matter what for the duration of Chapter 3, we might as well save his for last, so that way we can blow through his Chapters 3 and 4 back to back, which will tie off his story nicely and allow us to rotate him out of the party for the duration of Chapter 4. So in that sense, it would make sense to go ATOP HOT C for Chapter 3 before viewing CAT PHOTO in Chapter 4.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Did we decided on an anagram for Chapter 3s?

I'm still down for going ATOP HOT C if anyone else is.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Well, that escalated.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

We need to find someone who can quell his fears.

Love the Simpsons reference. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

LiefKatano posted:

Five bucks says Erhardt is provoking the lizardmen into attacking town so he can play hero.

I think Erhardt's probably on the level here, but that's not going to stop him from skipping out of here and leaving Olberic to deal with the leader of the lizardfolk as the boss for the chapter, thus saving Erhardt himself for Chapter 4.

I mean, it'd be kinda weird to build up this whole thing between Olberic and Erhardt and then have it be settled in Chapter 3 and then spring a new character on us as the final boss of Olberic story arc.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It's weird to see one of these "There's actually two solutions to this one!" side quests where one of the solutions doesn't involve beating the poo poo out of someone.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Hey, I'll have you know that--

I love how Ophelia calls them inhuman for taking a little girl hostage, and one of them actually gets offended by it. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What the hell does ATOP HOT C even mean

Atop means "on top of". Hot can be used as a slang term to indicate that someone is attractive. C is the first initial of Cyrus's name.

It's an acronym of "OCTOPATH" that refers to where Therese wishes she was at the start of Cyrus's story.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Time to get a good look at that CAT PHOTO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Update at the bottom of the previous page for those who missed it.

Also, not technically a CAT PHOTO, but too drat adorable to not post:

https://twitter.com/irono16/status/1123950944847319041