Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I am sad at how few people have voted for Olberic. He's the best, and has the best battle lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

It's more that the characters' stories don't cross at all, but you can have all eight of them active at one time, and continue them at your own pace.

People that aren't voting for Olberic obviously have bent blades.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Bruceski posted:

More people voted for her.

But she's just worse than Olberic.

I guess there's no accounting for tastes.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yes, it is possible to care about what's going on, because all of the stories are compelling in their own right, the side quests are interesting, surprisingly, and you quickly grow to love the main party, because they're a bunch of dorks, trying to pretend they aren't dorks.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I never really used Cyrus in my main party during my play through, because by the time I got him, I had gotten used to my other four characters, and they filled all the roles needed. I never saw a need for the "Show Weaknesses" ability that he has.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Anyone who hasn't played the game, definitely watch the boss video. The game seamlessly blends For Truth into Decisive Battle 1 and does it for every character at every boss fight.

What makes this even more impressive is that every character has their own theme, and they all seamlessly blend into the boss theme.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I found Rest to be super helpful in early bossfights, because it gives Tressa some healing and lets her sandbag and build up boost points.

It's usefulness drops off a lot once you get other party members who can heal, but early on, it's awesome.

Then it becomes absolutely amazing again in the end game, along with Sidestep going from amazing to extremely amazing.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Explosions posted:

If he can roll into Atlasdam, Seat of Learning and demand that every healthy adult male come at him, I vote for Olberic but much louder.

It's this one, except the only limitations are no children, and some Quest Important people. He will happily fight anyone that's willing to fight him. He's great.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

H'aanit's just so boring, though. At least, she is to me. But again, that's for later.

Primrose's story is a thing, but Dancer is fun, and max boosting the Gamble Dance is great.

EDIT: We better go for Olberic next, though, thread. We need an Unbending Blade around here.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Bewildering Grace is absolutely the most fun way to level in the game, because if you hit even an EXP or JP x 5, you're carried for a long while. I didn't know that the x100 results only appeared at max boost, but if you aren't max boosting or double max boosting Bewildering Grace, what's wrong with you?

Also, I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get the Unbending Blade next.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Olberic has the best Max Boost quote in the whole game, and you can't convince me otherwise. He's a massive ham in everything he does, and I love him for it. He's also a very good character to start with, and saved me in a couple of boss battles, along with making Helgenish's fight a joke for me, when I only had him and Prim.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

In my experience, Gaston is one of the harder Chapter 1 bosses, no matter when you do him. I started with Olberic, and he made me have to use items to get through the fight. It's still a good fight, though.

Some Numbers posted:

Speaking of the voice clips you ripped, the Olberic pack doesn’t include his max boost line.

This, however, is a travesty, if it's true.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The Cleric Divine Skill is one of the two best buff Divine Skills in the game, the other one being the Dancer's Divine Skill. Mega is not exaggerating at how good it is to double up on something, such as a Lion Dance or a Cross Slice. My favorite, and one of the more... interesting, use for it, though, is to double up on a max boost Bewildering Grace. I enjoy doing 8 dice rolls for random effects, don't you?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I never even knew that alternate choice existed when I played, so I just went up to fight him and lost, as expected. Sure, it's technically a happier ending that way, but the better ending is the charm ending.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Ugggggghhhhhhhhh

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Not gonna lie, I never used Leghold Trap when I played. I never saw much use in it when I had my Olberic just smashing people in the face for tons of damage. Most things can't survive a hit from Olberic.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I literally never needed to use Leghold Trap to get through a boss fight, and didn't wipe on any of them.

Also, Primrose can do some really good damage, she never left my team.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Alfyn has one of the best max boost lines, as evidenced by my avatar.

I still personally prefer "My blade is unbending!", but that's partially because I started with Olberic, so I got to hear it a lot.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

theshim posted:

The music in this game is fantastic.

FTFY.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Ophilia, really? I guess there's no accounting for bad tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sorry, but as good as Alfyn's Chapter 3 is, Olberic's is vastly superior. There are so many good moments in it.