Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Suburban Dad posted:

Reporting for spam.

Really though, I don't think you need to do this for AI:SS and this in like every thread. Regulars will see it and if interested, participate.

Sheep game is the best game. I don't mind the notes.

We are just completing our week of sales at work from Black Friday. It was gnarly this year which is a good problem, but man it has taken all of my mental capacity to execute many decisions every second of every day.

Rhyno - your house is awesome! It will look so good when it is all done. Speaking of painting and trim etc. this is a project we are just putting the finishing touches on for our house. We did some wainscoting in our front entry and main living room. My wife has really wanted it, we will gradually be painting walls and will probably end up paying someone to paint our ceilings because they are high and pretty big. We also did a bit of a make over in our office. Photo is still work in progress with paint caulking touchup not done and the daylight windows not having the shiplap cut out all the way. I have liked how it turned out.

My father in law built this bench for us, pretty awesome. We will get some coat hooks hung soon.

My father in law built the desk which just rests on the filing cabinets that I refinished and painted with charcoal grey chalk paint. He built the floating shelves as well. This is intended for space so our kids have a place to color/draw and eventually do homework stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bajaha posted:

Lots of people browse the forums only through their bookmarked threads and making things stickies is a bit of a curse since even if you look at the forums directly people tune out the stickies.

Personally I think it's a good idea to spread it around, past threads had a few comments of having missed it due to not finding the threads in time.

I get the reason. I'm one of those guys that just goes to bookmarks too and have seen it in a ton of threads. :shrug: What I quoted was just this thread alone, so Adi must be really excited for sheep.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Speaking of painting and trim etc. this is a project we are just putting the finishing touches on for our house.
Looks nice!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Suburban Dad posted:

I get the reason. I'm one of those guys that just goes to bookmarks too and have seen it in a ton of threads. :shrug: What I quoted was just this thread alone, so Adi must be really excited for sheep.

This is the only thread I've posted in about the sheep game. I posted one message each in a bunch of the megathreads about AI:SS however. You may be conflating the two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sheep game is the best game. I don't mind the notes.

We are just completing our week of sales at work from Black Friday. It was gnarly this year which is a good problem, but man it has taken all of my mental capacity to execute many decisions every second of every day.

Rhyno - your house is awesome! It will look so good when it is all done. Speaking of painting and trim etc. this is a project we are just putting the finishing touches on for our house. We did some wainscoting in our front entry and main living room. My wife has really wanted it, we will gradually be painting walls and will probably end up paying someone to paint our ceilings because they are high and pretty big. We also did a bit of a make over in our office. Photo is still work in progress with paint caulking touchup not done and the daylight windows not having the shiplap cut out all the way. I have liked how it turned out.

My father in law built this bench for us, pretty awesome. We will get some coat hooks hung soon.

My father in law built the desk which just rests on the filing cabinets that I refinished and painted with charcoal grey chalk paint. He built the floating shelves as well. This is intended for space so our kids have a place to color/draw and eventually do homework stuff.

Oh man, that looks so good!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

LloydDobler posted:

In fairness, they're insane when it comes to doing what they want with their house. They found out there was brick under the drywall surrounding their fireplace, so they pulled down all the drywall. Then they found out that the previous owner had attached the drywall with liquid nails. Lots of it. So they had to wire-wheel the liquid nails off of the brick, floor to ceiling. This got a lot of brick colored dust stuck to their ceiling, which led to scraping the popcorn.
My old house had a massive mirror on the wall above the bed in the master bedroom. I went to remove it one day, loosened the four clamps I thought were holding it to the wall and found out it was glued on. When we later went to sell the house our realtor said it needed to go. Peeled it away slowly and carefully but ended up replacing all the drywall under it because it was less work than repairing the existing drywall.

keykey posted:

Scrub the walls with TSP first, then use some Kilz Max. It's about $35 a gallon, so only use it where you need to with soot stains, but Kilz makes amazing products. We use regular Kilz paint in rentals with smokers after TSP'ing the walls, otherwise, the yellowing comes back through normal primer/paint.
Kilz makes really good stuff. We've had really good results in the past with several of their paints.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

QuarkMartial posted:

You wear that target proud, tell the haters to get gud, then make them thank you for making them work harder to be better medical professionals.

I really like this sentiment.

Queen Combat posted:

Also, while Beat Saber is hard, it's drat hard if you put even small ankle weights on your wrists.

Holy gently caress after just like twenty minutes I am dead. Gonna feel this tomorrow. Still haven't fixed the bike wheel so another 20 minutes or so and this'll be today's nerdy exercise. (The game scores you not by note accuracy, but by arc of your swing. And it measures total distance, so no cheating by flicking wrists.)

So you're saying I could sell buying a PS4 VR to my wife as "exercise equipment"?

Thanks. That made me laugh. Both the concept and the actual videos.

Goober Peas posted:

And you've probably noticed plenty of dust dingleberries as well too

That's the deal for us. It's difficult to dust without *also* dislodging the dang popcorn as well.

T-Square posted:

I did this when I was in High School, but with a few hundred un-opened Hot Wheels cars. Same result.

I wonder what I did with those, it's been ten years :thunk:

Unopened older Hot Wheels are almost always worth at least what you paid for them, usually more. Even common ones are like $2. First Editions or New Models for each year are generally worth more, but some variations of regular releases can go up, too. I don't really follow the values because I buy them to keep, really, not to sell, but it would be nice to get a return if I ever decide I don't want them any more. Which reminds me I need to get some durable storage for them. I've got way too many to display on the wall(s).

I need to get a Christmas tree like that.
We have a decent 7' artificial, but, until we clear some space in the house, it's tough to find a place to put it up (we have too much poo poo), it's so wide at the base. Last year I only assembled the top two thirds and put that in the stand.

I really like that bench and desk, BTW. I wish we had an entry room to put a coat/boots bench. One of the things on my list for "the next house", along with a laundry room that isn't in my damned garage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

So 1969 Mustang Fastbacks. Mint ones go for about ~25-35k here in Sweden it seems. I'm not really a american car guy, but who doesn't love a Mustang. A $3300 one shows up. This is the only photo: and the description sucks. It bascially only says that it's for someone who's "able", which means it doesn't run or pass inspection. Of course I'm interested. It seems very cheap though, so either someone who doesn't have a clue, or it's properly poo poo. It wouldn't surprise me if it's sold before the weekend.

I do love the fastbacks though.... heart says go for it. Brain says "Where are you going to get parts in Europe, you idiot".

Edit: VVVV Actually.... found one UK parts dealer and it's not too bad.... o poo poo..

Be prepared to find rust everywhere, in places you never thought possible. They call them Rustangs for a reason :v:

But if you can handle the surprises go for it, fastbacks are loving awesome.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I wish there was One Weird Trick (TM) or product I could purchase to instantly make organizing my garage easy. I'm going to take time off of work between xmas and new years to get it cleaned up, but it's one of those things where I have so much poo poo in there I really need to pull lots of things out to make room to organize it properly (moved from a place with a huge garage to a place with a small garage). I have some built in cabinets right now, but I think what I really need are more storage units to hold random items. I have some plastic dresser things which I hate because they don't open and close well when you have items in them. I guess multiple harbor freight tool carts would help, but it's kind of a pricey solution.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MomJeans420 posted:

I wish there was One Weird Trick (TM) or product I could purchase to instantly make organizing my garage easy. I'm going to take time off of work between xmas and new years to get it cleaned up, but it's one of those things where I have so much poo poo in there I really need to pull lots of things out to make room to organize it properly (moved from a place with a huge garage to a place with a small garage). I have some built in cabinets right now, but I think what I really need are more storage units to hold random items. I have some plastic dresser things which I hate because they don't open and close well when you have items in them. I guess multiple harbor freight tool carts would help, but it's kind of a pricey solution.

The one weird trick is that you could probably chuck 3/4 of the contents of the average persons garage and they'd never miss it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I need to get a Christmas tree like that.
We have a decent 7' artificial, but, until we clear some space in the house, it's tough to find a place to put it up (we have too much poo poo), it's so wide at the base. Last year I only assembled the top two thirds and put that in the stand.

I am embarrassed to admit but that is actually our second tree. We have a more traditional one in the front room. I told my wife we did not need a second tree but it is apparent how that conversation ended.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MomJeans420 posted:

I've been trying to pick away at my garage and organize it a little bit every weekend but it's overwhelming. I think I'm going to set a rule to make it easier for me to throw things out...something like if I haven't used it in 6 months and it's less than $25 toss/donate it. Things <$50 that I havne't used in 6+ months are getting listed for sale. At least that's what I'm thinking.

I also need to organize and wire the unfinished basement side of the garage which requires me to move out four cars, two motorcycles and a ton of stuff.

For shelving I picked up four big shelves at Sams club for ~$50 a piece. Think they're rated for a couple hundred pounds per level and seem to be holding up fine with engines and transmissions on them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am embarrassed to admit but that is actually our second tree. We have a more traditional one in the front room. I told my wife we did not need a second tree but it is apparent how that conversation ended.

I have a tree inside...and wife wants to go cut one down for outside.
Who am I to object to a chance to be manly and cut down a tree to make my wife happy?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I went shopping for a) a bottle of milk and b) a tin of white paint.

I returned with an impact driver, a cordless drill, a multitool and a box of screwdriver bits.

I already have multiple drills and I don't know what the multitool is for.

but I can't resist a bargain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bet ya didn't get the milk or paint.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I remembered the paint.

In my defence, I didn't buy another socket set, despite it being a Lidl weekly special that if I don't buy this week, will not be available for the next 9 months. I put in my basket and then took it out.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Every item I've ordered on Amazon prime for the past week has been delayed. 4 or 5 things. GG Amazon.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
If it wasn't for the fact that I use prime video regularly, I would have pulled the plug on amazon awhile ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're on the cusp of canceling ourselves. If not for a few shows we'd have done so already.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

So 1969 Mustang Fastbacks

Brain says "Where are you going to get parts in Europe, you idiot".

As a swede with two 1972 'Murican cars, I can tell you that it's no problem at all. All Autoexperten stores can order from the Hansen Racing catalogue, and Dalhems delivers overnight if you call and ask nicely (and pay for it). And both Dalhems and Arvika El & Motor can order whatever you want from Summit.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 29, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Beverly Cleavage posted:

If it wasn't for the fact that I use prime video regularly, I would have pulled the plug on amazon awhile ago.

Same. And communicating with Amazon has been Comcast levels of bad lately too. It will see what trick Bezos has up his sleeve next, to keep people from ditching Prime en mass.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I don't even do that, just the yearly Grand Tour watching and we buy things from Amazon maybe once every 2 months so the free shipping doesn't even come close to covering the cost of Prime, but it's just one of those things that my wife irrationally wants and that's not the hill I'm willing to die on.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Anybody else getting annoyed at the volume of knock off and cheap products on Amazon? Got a new phone and looking for USB C cables and it's just a flood of cheap products, same for Qi chargers.

It's really gone downhill, and with how evil Amazon has been to its workers I'm starting to think it's time to jump ship.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
There's an excellent podcast about general Internet things called Reply All, and they have an episode that came out recently about exactly why Amazon is turning into what it is. Really insightful and entertaining if you have an hour.

Reply All #124: The Magic Store

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bajaha posted:

Anybody else getting annoyed at the volume of knock off and cheap products on Amazon? Got a new phone and looking for USB C cables and it's just a flood of cheap products, same for Qi chargers.

It's really gone downhill, and with how evil Amazon has been to its workers I'm starting to think it's time to jump ship.

Yup.

Same tat as eBay and as Aliexpress. Just pick the price/delivery time you want and spin the wheel. There are no standards in any of them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone know a good lubricant to use on a check valve in a gas tank? So it doesn't loving stick again?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We're on the cusp of canceling ourselves. If not for a few shows we'd have done so already.

Speaking of videos - who else has been watching the Gymkhana Files? I got caught up last night and it is real drat good.

We seem to have spurts of buying stuff from Prime. We will probably keep it because they have easy/fast selection on specialty foods for my wife's dietary needs. I have been trying to shift more purchasing to either local stores or independent webstores though. Amazon for a time was a more efficient sexier eBay but now it is just flooded with garbage as others have said.

As poorly as they treat their employees I can also confirm they treat their marketplace vendors like trash as well with truly horrific policies that you "agree" to. We had a heyday couple of years on a few key items through my workplace with Amazon. We fortunately saw the collapse and pulled back before losing out on a bottom line figure I am not even willing to hint at.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone know a good lubricant to use on a check valve in a gas tank? So it doesn't loving stick again?

Replace your engine with an oil burner and fill the tank with diesel. :v:

E: Real answer: graphite

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I still love Amazon prime and I'm starting to feel guilty for it. But I have HBO and Showtime subs through them so I use their video more than Netflix. And I'm still one of the morons who must own a copy of the music I listen to, so I buy and download tons of it from them.

Prime is actually getting better here in Denver, I'm seeing more and more free one day shipping, they must have opened another warehouse locally. But yeah I've also learned to be wary of cheap poo poo and I search long and hard to make sure I'm buying the actual thing I want to buy. I've been burned a couple times trying to save a few bucks so I just put in the extra effort and often give myself a waiting period to think before buying.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Amazon finally did a solid and lets you set a day of the week for shipments to arrive. I care less about one day shipping and more about "I can only be here Saturday for pickup, so please only deliver on Saturday." One day shipping means nothing if I order it Thursday, they attempt delivery Friday when I'm not home, and it gets bounced to a loving UPS access point.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Adiabatic posted:

I'm full speed ahead back at the piano. Any piano players in here? Gimme some of your favorite classical piano music!

I've always been in love with most of the stuff yiruma and ludovico einaudi put out. I pretty much exclusively try to learn and play some of their easier pieces.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My wife is pushing me to get back into drums (probably mostly because I have my kit set up and she wants me to justify the waste of space) but it's been super frustrating. I played for hours a day in high school and early college and played with a couple of bands (bar gigs, nothing super serious) but after living in apartments for ten+ years I never practiced. Now I'm rusty as gently caress and getting frustrated because I'm trying to play stuff I could knock out over a decade ago but the muscle memory is gone and my hands have no idea what to do with a drum stick anymore.

Feels bad man. I know the answer is to practice more but at the same time after work I just want to have a beer and go to sleep so I worry I'll always be the guy who used to be good. :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been trying to pick away at my garage and organize it a little bit every weekend but it's overwhelming. I think I'm going to set a rule to make it easier for me to throw things out...something like if I haven't used it in 6 months and it's less than $25 toss/donate it. Things <$50 that I havne't used in 6+ months are getting listed for sale. At least that's what I'm thinking.

I also need to organize and wire the unfinished basement side of the garage which requires me to move out four cars, two motorcycles and a ton of stuff.

For shelving I picked up four big shelves at Sams club for ~$50 a piece. Think they're rated for a couple hundred pounds per level and seem to be holding up fine with engines and transmissions on them.

I do exactly this with the stuff around my house. Got a box in my garage that stuff gets put in, if I don't find a reason to go get it within a few months it leaves. Helps keep the clutter down, and most of it I hand off to friends who find it useful.

Bajaha posted:

I pretty much quit ordering with them for anything but books because of it. They have previous record of binning multiple vendors' same-sku products together as well, so ordering name brand isn't a gaurantee you won't get a lovely knock-off delivered if some bad actor has them listed as the same SKU.

Tools or electronics? gently caress no.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Take a step back from what you used to play and work your way back into it. I suspect you'll find it easier to work your way back up from the basics. I know it was for me when I started loving around with a bass again after 5ish years. Though it did make me realize I need a bass with more of a jazz neck since my hands don't fit well on your average neck. Maybe one of these days.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Take a step back from what you used to play and work your way back into it. I suspect you'll find it easier to work your way back up from the basics. I know it was for me when I started loving around with a bass again after 5ish years. Though it did make me realize I need a bass with more of a jazz neck since my hands don't fit well on your average neck. Maybe one of these days.

Yeah, honestly it's 90% getting my hands up to snuff which can only be achieved through exercises and slow practice with correct technique. When I was in high school I took lessons my parents paid for (god bless em, I can't imagine a more obnoxious hobby for a kid to get into) and while my teacher was kind of a meat head 80s butt rock guy he devoted a good chunk of the lesson to just going through Stick Control at various tempos to warm up and I think that did more for me than anything else. It's just so so boring. :v:

I'm actually somewhat considering doing one of those "school of rock" adult programs just to get back into the swing of things and meet some like-minded fellow musicians.

Edit: Stick control is as boring as it sounds. https://bateriaipercussiovalls.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/stick-control-for-snare-george-l-stone.pdf Just combinations of stickings designed to be run through with increasing tempo. It's seriously the gold standard for get gud at drums though.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 30, 2018

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Well I think I’ve used up my allotment of house related luck for a while. A pipe under the house developed a leak. I didn’t detect it for probably three days. Who knows how much damage it could have caused. Except it turns out it burst 4 inches outside the exterior wall of the kitchen, directly above a drain from the guttering.

I’ll never get this lucky again.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As a swede with two 1972 'Murican cars, I can tell you that it's no problem at all. All Autoexperten stores can order from the Hansen Racing catalogue, and Dalhems delivers overnight if you call and ask nicely (and pay for it). And both Dalhems and Arvika El & Motor can order whatever you want from Summit.

Tack!

Saving this for later. The car sold/was removed when I woke up today, so was probably way too cheap. I have no hope in competing with those people. I probably should get a trailer license + trailer in future so I can go pick poo poo up.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bajaha posted:

If you're still looking for usb c cables and a charger, anker is a solid brand for both.

Queen Combat posted:

There's an excellent podcast about general Internet things called Reply All, and they have an episode that came out recently about exactly why Amazon is turning into what it is. Really insightful and entertaining if you have an hour.

Reply All #124: The Magic Store

Gotta second this. Reply All is a solid podcast.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

My wife is pushing me to get back into drums (probably mostly because I have my kit set up and she wants me to justify the waste of space) but it's been super frustrating. I played for hours a day in high school and early college and played with a couple of bands (bar gigs, nothing super serious) but after living in apartments for ten+ years I never practiced. Now I'm rusty as gently caress and getting frustrated because I'm trying to play stuff I could knock out over a decade ago but the muscle memory is gone and my hands have no idea what to do with a drum stick anymore.

Feels bad man. I know the answer is to practice more but at the same time after work I just want to have a beer and go to sleep so I worry I'll always be the guy who used to be good. :smith:

Huh that's weird, for me it's like riding a bike. If i haven't played for awhile (have gone years) I just need a bit to warm up and i'm good. Currently trying to sell my electronic set because I just don't have the room for it anymore and I don't play enough to justify keeping it :(

But just keep at it and it should come back to you no problem.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

mariooncrack posted:

If you're still looking for usb c cables and a charger, anker is a solid brand for both.

Gotta second this. Reply All is a solid podcast.

I swear you could almost use an anker powerline cable to pick up a car. Thing is insanely well built and has lasted a year of abuse so far, which is about five times longer than any other cable I've ever used for a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
+1 for Anker. Rush is also good. There's a few brands we stock at work that are good but 90% or more of cables, even some Foxconn-made ones, are garbage.

• Locked thread