Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
James May is driving a Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley in the Grand Tour trailer. Cool.

They'll probably wreck it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

My wife is pushing me to get back into drums (probably mostly because I have my kit set up and she wants me to justify the waste of space) but it's been super frustrating. I played for hours a day in high school and early college and played with a couple of bands (bar gigs, nothing super serious) but after living in apartments for ten+ years I never practiced. Now I'm rusty as gently caress and getting frustrated because I'm trying to play stuff I could knock out over a decade ago but the muscle memory is gone and my hands have no idea what to do with a drum stick anymore.

Feels bad man. I know the answer is to practice more but at the same time after work I just want to have a beer and go to sleep so I worry I'll always be the guy who used to be good. :smith:

I used to play a lot in middle and high school too, and did lessons for several years, until my parent's basement flooded and ruined my drum kit. Never ended up picking it up again until recently-ish. My regular group of friends play in a kinda-punk band and their practice room is in the basement. They like me better than they like their drummer so they like to jam with me if I'm ever over before it gets too late in the evening. I was far from ever being the greatest or whatever, but I like to think I was pretty fuckin' good. Now I can reliably play like four different beats, and wind up doing the same three lovely fills over and over. Good thing they're a punk band, so they don't give a poo poo :v: They keep hinting at replacing their guy with me and I'm like "lol I could never play a full set". Been meaning to get a practice pad to practice stick control in front of the TV or whatever.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks for the suggestions, I was eyeing anker cables so I think I'll try them out.

Got a little chuckle from our emergency broadcast test that happened yesterday, the organization that runs is called the emergency measures organization, with their government url shortened to /emo

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The beater Mazda6 popped the battery light on the way home from work. I turned everything off because I figured the alternator must have died. I was fortunate to make it home. I swapped it out last night, but the replacement is a bit...loud and gravelly sounding. I bet I will be doing the job again within a year. It is the third time I have swapped alternator. Installing the serpentine belt on your own in that car is a total kick in the dick.

But hey I got it done without incident in a short amount of time last night so :toot:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The beater Mazda6 popped the battery light on the way home from work. I turned everything off because I figured the alternator must have died. I was fortunate to make it home. I swapped it out last night, but the replacement is a bit...loud and gravelly sounding. I bet I will be doing the job again within a year. It is the third time I have swapped alternator. Installing the serpentine belt on your own in that car is a total kick in the dick.

But hey I got it done without incident in a short amount of time last night so :toot:

Parts store alternators are notoriously bad. At least get the lifetime warranty ones so you're swapping them for free.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sent you a PM, I've got an alternator for a first-gen 2.3 taking up space in my garage that you might be able to use...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Charles posted:

Parts store alternators are notoriously bad. At least get the lifetime warranty ones so you're swapping them for free.

Oh yeah. The first one died like in a year. This recent one has worked great for a while now. With as many times as I have done this now it actually doesn't bother me much it probably should bother me

Geoj posted:

Sent you a PM, I've got an alternator for a first-gen 2.3 taking up space in my garage that you might be able to use...

Very cool! I have replied.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

The one weird trick is that you could probably chuck 3/4 of the contents of the average persons garage and they'd never miss it.

I feel called out (this is actually the answer). I think I'll throw away as much as possible and then see what I'm left with, then figure out how to organize that. The good news is whenever I move to a place with a bigger garage I'll have tons of room and it won't be instantly filled. Maybe I could even fit a car in there!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

7.2 quake in Anchorage :stare:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Now they're saying 7.0.

This happened to someone I know on IRC:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The good news is the car is fine.

The bad news is the cost to hire a crane to extract it exceeds its value.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

drat, it looks like a game with a jumping puzzle and ice thrown in for extra fuckery.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I want to replace my slow old POS refurb Dell Optiplex 755 with a newer (used) laptop. Internet and occasionally Netflix, no gaming or live streaming. What specs should I be looking for? Any specific recommendations?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Dagen H posted:

I want to replace my slow old POS refurb Dell Optiplex 755 with a newer (used) laptop. Internet and occasionally Netflix, no gaming or live streaming. What specs should I be looking for? Any specific recommendations?

You sound like a perfect use case for a Chromebook.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
ThinkPad P50, or perhaps a bit older one. Louis Rossmann sold me on ThinkPads. Will get one when by Surface Pro 3 breaks.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Charles posted:

Protip: AAP is supposed to test them before you leave. I am not sure if it's broad company policy or if our GM just said that because he was tired of returns, but you could make them test it there.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

Protip: AAP is supposed to test them before you leave. I am not sure if it's broad company policy or if our GM just said that because he was tired of returns, but you could make them test it there.

Most likely your GM's rule given half of the oreilly employees I've met in the last 4 years have worked at advance previously before jumping ship, including my manager, and none have mentioned this. Theres only a handful of alternator remanufacturers and they all have the same issues with dicky bearings on occasion and more commonly lovely voltage regs. It also seems to be certain vehicles that poo poo out their alternators more often. Namely ford 4.0's that have that voltage reg mounted outside the loving alternator case. :argh:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Partner is away for the weekend so I took the oppotunity to order in some takeout and finally get round to The Return of the Living Dead.
What a brilliant film that was

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Queen Combat posted:

The Moulettes did some composition, arrangement, and recording with the Levellers' for their latest album, We the Collective.

If you know The Moulettes, you can tell pretty easily where they come in on certain songs.

Not a huge surprise given the uk folkies scene!

Have you heard their alternative-timeline Electro project, Modernaire? Looks like they released one album, Velvet Never Dries, and then kinda hid it?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

freelop posted:

Partner is away for the weekend so I took the oppotunity to order in some takeout and finally get round to The Return of the Living Dead.
What a brilliant film that was

The 1985 sorta-sequel? Yeah, that one's fun.
"If you loved me, you'd LET ME EAT YOUR BRRRRRAIN!"

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Magnus Praeda posted:

You sound like a perfect use case for a Chromebook.

*researches*

Sounds that way, doesn't it?
Looks like everybody makes one, are there brands to seek out/avoid?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

meltie posted:

Not a huge surprise given the uk folkies scene!

Have you heard their alternative-timeline Electro project, Modernaire? Looks like they released one album, Velvet Never Dries, and then kinda hid it?

I have not heard it, and I cannot find it anywhere.

I must now have this album.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Dagen H posted:

*researches*

Sounds that way, doesn't it?
Looks like everybody makes one, are there brands to seek out/avoid?

Not really, just go to big box store du jour and play with some then pick out the one you like the best, it's all personal preference. Also, if you've never played with one, it will give you the opportunity to see if you like the interface or not. For most people, it's an acquired taste.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a 5-6 year olf Samsung Chromebook and it still works pretty well for basic web browsing and Netflix.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
For anyone that ever attaches stuff to drywall/pasterboard, I just want to say that these type of anchors will change your life

Even though you need to buy a setting tool, they are utterly, utterly worth it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm over drywall anchors. I'm a stud man now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

spog posted:

For anyone that ever attaches stuff to drywall/pasterboard, I just want to say that these type of anchors will change your life

Disagree.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'm over drywall anchors. I'm a stud man now.

meatpimp posted:

Disagree.

I agree with these two things. The one meatpimp is showing off is good. They also have some that are a cast metal. They work much better when it comes to removal and patching too.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dagen H posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01L8PDWAU/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I'd pick this up particularly the used one for 200 bones.

The Intel M3-7Y30 is a good rear end processor and the 2-in-1 capability is neat for when you need it. Chromebooks are fine until the second you need Windows for something useful. The other computers with the M3-7Y30 sell for $600+ people are just bad at speccing laptops based on actual hardware so most people don't know about this particular model.

The M3-8100Y was released Q3 of 2018 so you may want to be on the lookout for a laptop featuring it because it basically poops on other low power consumption processor offerings.

Then again since you say Netflix you may mean you want 1080p streaming on a 15.6"+ screen. Are you going to use the laptop as a graphics output source for a larger TV? I don't know if the i3179 can output to an external monitor at a higher resolution than the native resolution of the laptop but there are 3 models of laptop that ship with the same processor and display in 1080p.

keykey posted:

Not really, just go to big box store du jour and play with some then pick out the one you like the best, it's all personal preference. Also, if you've never played with one, it will give you the opportunity to see if you like the interface or not. For most people, it's an acquired taste.

This is bad advice. Big box stores loving love selling old hardware at a premium.

For example the current model year Inspiron 3000 uses the AMD A9-9420e which benchmarks horribly even compared to a 2 year older Intel processor with a lower TDP.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A9-9420e-vs-Intel-m3-7Y30/3226vs2864

So anyone who went out and spent the 320 bucks on one of these laptops is basically getting scammed. Big box stores are notorious for shoving bad/cheap hardware in their offerings so do your research.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 1, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

Disagree.

Yes these but the aggressive metal versions with the wider flange thread thingy

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

meatpimp posted:

Disagree.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yes these but the aggressive metal versions with the wider flange thread thingy

For the longest time, I was a huge fan of these. But, as in so many things in life, love will eventually turn to hate.

I hate that if you use them for things like towel rails, they will always start to work themselves loose.
I hate that if you tighten them even a little too much, they strip the wall and are unusuable.
I hate that you can never remove the screw and reuse the plug as they will strip.
I hate that when you need to put a replacement in, it has to be at least 1 inch away from the original hole.
I hate that the hole they leave when removed is so big it, you can't standard filler to fill it.
I hate that the screws they supply with them are too long and stick 8mm out from the wall.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That is a plus to the one spog posted: it’s easy to remove the screw and attach/reattach something else. I’ve also used those with an eye bolt of the same thread.
Down side is you can’t really remove the anchor. You just take out the bolt and plaster over it.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
At my last place I used these sharkies for the towel racks and they held up pretty well. I mean, don't hang off them or whatever. Bonus is they're removable. Waiting for an engineer to chime in and say that they're no better than a standard molly, and in that case I will respect their input.

For actual loads like TVs I'd find studs inexpensive-but-heavy things, I'd use the toggle bolt/4 arm style posted above. Or into block, tek screws.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 1, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
SnapToggles are the way to go provided the bolt fits through whatever you want to hang. The plastic Togglers work very well for lesser applications (and for when other plastic anchors start to pull out).

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

puberty worked me over posted:

This is bad advice. Big box stores loving love selling old hardware at a premium.

I mostly agree with your statement. However, if a user has never tried a platform before, it’s better to get some hands on time with the os to make a more informed decision before making a purchase based solely on specs and benchmarks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, the latest Car Throttle video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNZV3Bry5UU) really picks the perfect person to portray "fucker you shouldn't buy a used car from". ColinFurze

Dry wall expanding fastener chat, I prefer the kind Spog posted.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

SnapToggles are the way to go provided the bolt fits through whatever you want to hang. The plastic Togglers work very well for lesser applications (and for when other plastic anchors start to pull out).

Y'all listen to this man. He's a fuckin doctor.

Snap toggles are the poo poo.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

spog posted:

Link to product please.
I haven't seen any with a setting tool before.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dagen H posted:

If you want to stay with windows and can ante up the price, the surface pro is a pretty decent laptop tablet combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

keykey posted:

I mostly agree with your statement. However, if a user has never tried a platform before, it’s better to get some hands on time with the os to make a more informed decision before making a purchase based solely on specs and benchmarks.

This is a good point. I rescind my opinion that it is bad advice. I agree that it's smart to go to a brick and mortar to get used to the platform. However it is not smart to buy at a big box store before fully researching what other options are available online to get better/newer hardware and better specs after you have decided on a platform. I also agree that it's a bad idea to buy based on specs/benchmarks unless one buys a specced tablet/laptop from a vendor that allows for easy returns.

slidebite posted:

If you want to stay with windows and can ante up the price, the surface pro is a pretty decent laptop tablet combo.

:agreed: However the price to performance ratio on the Surfaces can be a bit meh. It seems HP/Dell/ASUS/Lenovo have equal hardware without the premium price of the surface but there may be a build quality sacrifice present in those lower prices.

Microsoft Surface Pro (5th Gen) (Intel Core M, 4GB RAM, 128GB)

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 1, 2018

• Locked thread