Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Dagen H posted:

I want to replace my slow old POS refurb Dell Optiplex 755 with a newer (used) laptop. Internet and occasionally Netflix, no gaming or live streaming. What specs should I be looking for? Any specific recommendations?

If you have a micro center near you, I would go there and pick up a refurbished laptop from them.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...28b6ce44b6a0INT

I've seen a laptop similar to this go on sale several times for ~$300. Since it's the holidays, it's likely to go on sale like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Posting from my 8-month-old $75 Chromebook.

keykey posted:

Not really, just go to big box store du jour and play with some then pick out the one you like the best, it's all personal preference. Also, if you've never played with one, it will give you the opportunity to see if you like the interface or not. For most people, it's an acquired taste.

Eh, I watched a few YouTube vids explaining the differences between Chromebooks vs. Windows laptops, what they can and can't do, and how Chrome OS works. I'll have to learn how all the settings work (and change everything to suit me), but it's NBD.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is this the thread to rant about the horrors you discover when unraveling the previous owner's 'handiwork'?

At some point, they cut the perfectly good positive wire powering the lighter socket in the dash and wire nutted the socket end onto a wire that is itself wire nutted into a cut in the positive wire powering the blower motor. I didn't initially notice because the blower was fried upon purchase. Then I didn't notice when I replaced the blower because whatever switch in the climate control head unit turns it on and off has failed on, so the blower was cranking anytime the key was on. Only when I threw a switch on that wire so I could shut it off did I realize that the switch was also controlling the socket.

Artist's rendition, the reality is nowhere near this neat and is all wadded up and squished behind the CC head:

Today I got annoyed enough to untangle it and hooked the red wire back together with a switch so I can control it and the blower independently. The mystery patch wire I put the wire nut back on the end of and haven't extracted yet. I left it because sometimes in this thing, an electrical bodge that I think does nothing actually does something and I have to cram it back in.

Example, this thing:

A wire going into and out of a thumb-sized wad of steelstik, wire nutted onto one of the 2359042 tiny purple wires in the harness, just flopping around in there loose (except for the wire nuts).

I have removed this tumor. Twice. And quickly put it back because the van immediately threw a new CEL for a scary code I'd never seen before. Both times I put the demonic wart back, it didn't fix the code, I found the thing that DID cause the code and fixed it, but it was absolutely in no way related to anything the tumor could have done, and then I'm so frustrated I don't want to fight with the electrical anymore, and I leave it in for another six months. Once was when I was diagnosing the charging system with an (unknown to me at the time) intermittently failing alternator; the other I'd accidentally broken a wire on the TPS while working on something else. It's like it lashes out when I remove it because it doesn't want to leave. Maybe I need an exorcist. Alternatively, my retired mechanic uncle says it's probably a resistor on the wire for the coolant temp sensor, which is a ghetto hack to wring a little more power out of a 318 at the expense of a little fuel economy. So maybe the 3rd try I'll cut it out without breaking anything else and it'll be fine. (lol no, this never happens)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm not THAT much of a hack, but i've done some pretty lovely "terrible previous owner" poo poo to get a vehicle out of my life in a running state.

I saw my old mack on the road a while ago and actually felt bad.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Took my 4 year old for her flu shot and surprise they told us 3 other vaccines (no more until 11 years) because her mom without a job has said she would take kids to the doctor for past 2-3 months but can’t be bothered. Not even lying these 4 shots looked scary. Hey that was fun holding my daughter alone while they jammed those in her. So there went another day of work. I have had the kids 45-50 days out of past 61. And I pay alimony and child support.

At least me and the girls managed to get up the Christmas tree tonight.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
wrong thread sorry.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Hey so has anyone used anyone used an auto shipper here before?
Looking into shipping my Jeep across the country because I don't want to drive all the loving way across the US again quite yet, but I've never really used one before. Anyone have any recommended guys to use?

I mean, I could drive it, but :effort:
And I still have to figure out how to get the Trukk across the map again. And I don't think even with the 350 that towing another car behind it would be a good idea :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Looking into shipping my Jeep across the country because I don't want to drive all the loving way across the US again quite yet, but I've never really used one before. Anyone have any recommended guys to use?

I mean, I could drive it, but :effort:
And I still have to figure out how to get the Trukk across the map again. And I don't think even with the 350 that towing another car behind it would be a good idea :v:

Yes I have 3 times. Also in the Japan import thread lots of people do. Way less $ than you expect. I have a contact if you just want it handled. PM me if you can

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

meatpimp posted:

Disagree.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I agree with these two things. The one meatpimp is showing off is good. They also have some that are a cast metal. They work much better when it comes to removal and patching too.

Problem with metal ones they don't work so well with self tapper scews (unless you pre-thread them which is a PITA).
The plastic ones are good enough and that's what I used for hanging mini split a/cs (which aren't the lightest thing and sometimes have some tension on the when pulling pipes and bending). Never had a problem with one coming loose of falling, so I recommend them.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

puberty worked me over posted:

Microsoft Surface Pro (5th Gen) (Intel Core M, 4GB RAM, 128GB) [/url]

Also not reparable at all, and you won't be able to clean the fans in these (unless they dramatically changed something from the 3/4), if that matters to you. I've enjoyed my SP3 a ton, but I would never buy one again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blindjoe posted:

Link to product please.
I haven't seen any with a setting tool before.

Not sure what country you are in, but we call them 'hollow wall anchors' in the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIEY3E4fiDk&t=443s

Lidl do sometimes sell them at a really cheap price: £7 for the tool and some fittings and about the same for a multi-pack of fittings which include the smaller size that you will actually use.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a whole bin of assorted anchors. I need to pick up a quality stud detector though, dont want to gently caress around with the heavy stuff I'll be putting up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I have a whole bin of assorted anchors. I need to pick up a quality stud detector though, dont want to gently caress around with the heavy stuff I'll be putting up.

Once you go stud, you never go dud.

I don't give a poo poo if the clock is mounted off center, or that a 10lb clock doesn't need to be anchored into a stud.

I'm pretty confident that my TV can hang out at full extension on it's mount because i modified said mount so both mounting points were centered into a god drat stud.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We hung a TV at work into very lovely drywall using just wall anchors and despite my protests the boss said it was fine.

I'm told it fell off the wall recently and shattered a display case on the way down.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's December now, jerks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875900

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

I've got your stud detector right here:

:boom:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ExplodingSims posted:

Sent you a PM for the broker I've used in the past

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

Once you go stud, you never go dud.

I don't give a poo poo if the clock is mounted off center, or that a 10lb clock doesn't need to be anchored into a stud.

I'm pretty confident that my TV can hang out at full extension on it's mount because i modified said mount so both mounting points were centered into a god drat stud.
For anything I care about, it's going into a stud, into a stringer I put between the studs, or with a SnapToggle into one of the plaster-on-lath old walls since that poo poo also is not breaking with a reasonable load. The television mount was on a wall with steel studs, and even though it should be fine I don't really trust the special screws for mounting into steel studs. so I opened up the wall, put in some wood stringers, and covered it back up. The mount is attached with SnapToggles where it needs the greatest pull out resistance, and rugged structural screws where it's less important. I think you could maybe lift my house with my television mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an AI appropriate youtuber more painful to listen to than Andrew Camarata? If so, please do not post.

• Locked thread