Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Ouch.

I'm dding the speed6 which is making more noises than it should whilst consuming premium fuel and spitting out 20mpg on a good day. But my work drive is only 25 minutes each way. Once we close on the house I'm going to dive into OT and get me a fuckin Prius or something.

Pick up a used gen 1 volt. They are dirt loving cheap with low miles. If you can get over the million buttons and tankiness (you really feel how heavy it is) it's a great car that's massively over engineered. Once the gen 2s dip down (hopefully they depreciate well, too :v:) then I may jump on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The gently caress, thread.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I forgot to watch V for Vendetta yesterday. Whoops.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

No line to vote today, just walked in and out in about 10 minutes. I'm most curious how the proposal items will go in Michigan (weed legalization, not those currently in power of government redraw the district lines and making it a more balanced process, allowing automatic registering to vote and day-of registering). I don't have much faith in the candidates on either side of the aisle but hopefully we get these things right at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Volunteer and then refuse to send those annoying spam texts

a-loving-men. I hate all the junk mail mailers and texts from the last few weeks. Luckily I don't watch much TV besides netflix so I wasn't bombarded with ads there, too.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Close races between doucebags and fucksticks yay where do I sign up

While I agree with this to an extent (love the south park "giant douche or turd sandwich" episode(s)), apathy doesn't help improve the situation at all.

I didn't vote until 2008 I think but started paying more attention as I've gotten older and even voted in the primary this year for candidates I actually liked (though none of them made the ticket :v:).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

yeah, the libertarian dipshits that make a bad cartoon that should have ended 15 years ago are definitely who you want to listen to for political advice, because there's literally no difference between an openly white supremacist party and one that is not - both sides send you paper in the mail you can literally throw away without even looking at, so both sides ARE roughly the same.

Show me on the doll where South Park touched you. Oh my this hot take.

Yes, I don't like garbage propaganda and thought they had a funny episode where the choices were less than ideal. Neither impacts how I vote so I don't get what you're all fired up about.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

She gave me back the ring

:(

That is terrible and really sucks, but I guess it's better to happen now than later?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Lots of sad stuff in here. Cheer up, or beer up goons. :hf:

Geoj posted:

• Related to the above, he will talk your ear off at length about *whatever* has piqued his interest, then two days later forget he already did and explain the whole thing again. Even after telling him him he already did.

My dad has always done this, but he's getting older and it seems worse. It drives my wife bat poo poo crazy when we see him. :lol:

Heading to see my Mom (and potentially my brother if he's not loving off doing god knows what). Not looking forward to a 5-6 hour drive with a 1 year old, but this is our one trip this year we're doing down to my home town. I don't particularly like going back there since I don't have any friends still there and try to limit exposure to my crazy family. They don't come visit me so if I don't go, I'd never see them. So at least it's on my terms I guess?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mr-Spain posted:

Gotta be backwards facing at that age. Best is if you can get yourself or mom next to him in the backseat.

This, and we're trying to avoid screen time as much as possible at this point. I have football playing on the TV on Saturdays, but otherwise we try to avoid having our phones out/TV/tablets around when she's awake. At some point it'll probably be the easy button to get them to stop but we're trying to avoid it for a bit.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I did a few of these when mine was that age or around it. If you can get them to sleep, no problem.

If not... big big big problem :pwn:

We drove 4 hours back from Chicago and she wouldn't sleep. Cried almost the whole way and finally fell asleep about 40 minutes from home. :suicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

More than you can afford, pal.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

everdave posted:

I trust your word but I had no idea it would approach that. Wow.

Any thoughts on timing belt and one giant turbo cost? This motor is supposed to take insane boost on stock internals right? I’m kinda ready to go full retard.

$5k allin with new tires too would kinda be my artificial limit

What vehicle is this in for starters?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Decide not to sell it? I assume this is the thing you imported for chump change.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'd say give it at least a month before talking and clear your head as best you can. If you still want to have that conversation later, then just do it and get it over with. It'll probably make things worse having it, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I changed the oil in my snowblower today and was confident I could do it without a drip. There's a little donger offshoot from the sump (parallel to the ground, no overhang so normally it would drip on the case) with the drain plug that I could put a funnel over immediately, then have it drain into a pan. Super easy, what could go wrong? The plug falling into the funnel, blocking it, and stopping it up within seconds. :v:

A spotless oil change I think is just impossible. Fuckin' Murphy, man.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: snowblower. hmm, they mayyyy have one

Heh. On my car it has a plastic quarter turn plug so I don't think that would work there, either. I might just eventually buy an oil extractor but more so because then I wouldn't even have to jack up the cars at all for changes, which would be bitchin'.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Ever have one of those days where you just want to stand up and walk away from everything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiQo1kvX4lI

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seems like overkill for Indiana. Just swapped my snows on last night. Getting 3" today supposedly but lucky for me I'm out sick for the billionth time (don't have kids).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't get the whole kids getting everyone sick thing, maybe I'm lucky but my son hasn't been sick in years, and when he was in the past I think maybe once I got sick from him. But then some friends of ours have two kids that are constantly sick, and it gets them sick all the time as well I don't get it. Must be my son has a very healthy immune system thank god :v:

As everyone else in the thread said already, daycare. They swim in a sea of germs, and bring it home. 14 months old now and it's been a rough year for colds.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

He is THIS close to walking -- he needs just a little stabilization with one hand. I'm not sure I'm ready for him to be that mobile yet!

Same with ours. She's pulling herself up but still not quite ready to do it herself yet. Hopefully soon but it will also be more exhausting. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is one of the big things that I'm worried about when we do finally have a kid. Wife makes too much to not work so they'll be going to day care bringing all sorts of nasty crap home. I'm immunosuppressed so if I'm in the same room as someone sick I'll get it. Everything hits me a lot harder too.

Wish I had any advice to give. I get about one cold per month and can't seem to stop it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

its really easy when you have young kids, ya fuckin knobs

This made me chuckle. But if you don't have kids and haven't experienced it, it seems loving absurd. Lines up with what the doctor told us to expect with daycare. Wife hasn't been sick as often, luckily.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 16, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I was going to hold out on FO76 for a couple weeks but caved almost immediately. Got it installed last night b7t havent played it yet

I can't get excited about it because I have no bros to play with and playing alone online is worse than just playing single player IMO.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

My 7-8 year old i2500k seems to run it acceptably, completely sidestepping the supposed minimum requirements. 12gb of RAM and the 2gb R7 gpu I got for Fallout 4.

Overclocked? I still use the same processor @ 4.3 (starting getting some BSOD with it higher so I recently dropped it down for stability...getting a little long in the tooth) with a 1070 and it rocks for most everything.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

No, it's just standard 3.3GHz.

$25 and a few hours later that thing could be pumping!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

My boss literally just used me getting rear-ended just outside the parking lot here at work as excuse to give me an ultimatum: Move to the GTA by Dec 10th or find another job because he thinks my commute is the problem and it's like bitch I didn't even make it 500m from the office.

How's that legal? Have you been missing work a lot or something? Or just late a lot?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I just digitally signed the rest of the documents for the house. We close monday.

Normal person: we close on the house on this day. *closes on house on said day.*

Rhyno: live tweets every detail to AI

Honestly I may have like personal drama llama Rhyno better. Now your drama is grown up boring poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

Like quitting your job with the lovely manager?

:lol:

Despite my jokes, keep on posting dudes. I wouldn't have anything to read at work if you didn't.

What's up for the weekend? I'll probably watch some college football and chase around a toddler (mine, so it's not creepy).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

How's your shoulder healing up?

It's healing but doc said only about 50-60% as of a couple weeks back. Makes some funny pops and such but not really in any pain when it happens. Range of motion is probably >90% of my other shoulder at this point. Gonna start swimming (yeah gently caress you I'm wearing a jammer!) to try and rehab it a bit more. Going to the gym and not being able to lift >10 lbs with your arm really gimps any sort of weight workout anyway so this will be a better distraction I think.

Thanks for asking.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 16, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Just don't get content. My bud's dad has almost no use of his left arm because of an injury and he refused to do PT.

This ain't my first rodeo with recovering from injury/surgery. I was more surprised the doc didn't recommend PT but since I had ROM she said "eh."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Holy gently caress swimming is hard. I haven't done it in a long, long time and now I want to die.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Wife probably has MS. Seeing neuro in February. gently caress.

:(

Best of luck and hopefully that's not the case.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ugh. Still feeling like poo poo. Woke up around 4AM and laid in bed for an hour before just getting up and going to work. :tootzzz:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

carlos ghosn is going to jail

Interesting...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

Went to a new physical therapist today to do some work on my back.

Holy poo poo.

She wanted to check my psoas muscle. And by check I mean she reached into my abdomen, under my ribs (literally, I'm not exaggerating), around my organs and hunted around like she was checking what I ate for dinner last night by feel. If you've never had it done, it wasn't completely unbearable, close, but do-able, but it wasn't fun.

Saying to relax when it feels like your getting multiple shivs into your abdomen is easier said than done.

I remember a PT doing this after I had my hips replaced. Holy poo poo I didn't think you could go much deeper into my guts. Felt like being stabbed (well, I imagine). Mine was tight too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I want to go to loving need but this LSU game is insane.

Edit: hope y'all had a good Thanksgiving.

Edit2: daughter started crying so I went to get her to chill and thought I'd miss the ending. Nah didn't miss anything. 6th overtime starting. :wtc:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 25, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Tet Jr progressed pretty quickly from pulling himself up onto two feet with difficulty to walking with minimal assistance. In the last two weeks or so he started standing without assistance and occasionally taking one unsupported step, but generally he'd keep one hand on something stable and walk around. Today was the first chain of several steps. By one year he officially will be a menace, I believe.

Uh oh. Ours just did this a couple days ago. I didn't think walking was too far off but yikes. Still trying to baby proof the house better but it ain't easy living in a split level. :suicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm a couple days behind on posts, so excuse me for bringing up "old" poo poo.

Rhyno posted:

GM is closing several plants, 5500 jobs getting cut.

SO MUCH WINNING

Not too surprised to be honest. Not many took the buyout (maybe ~1/8 that were offered) so figured this was going to happen to some degree. I'm surprised that so many plants and car lines are potentially getting axed, but it makes sense with the direction the company is going and where the market is. GM has a habit of keeping low volume products around for too long (either through having too many options/engines/transmissions and combinations that have a very small take rate, etc), so I'm hopeful that some of that is curbed with this sort of thing to streamline manufacturing.

This isn't affecting just Ford and GM. People can poo poo on GM cars but even Honda and Toyota are having trouble selling sedans, that's the just market currently. The steel tariff definitely hasn't helped things, either, to the tune of about a $1B each for Ford and GM.

My opinion on the college degree chat: Degrees are good as long as you get something that has a job potential with it. I think being told to go to college and "follow you dreams" by parents/teachers/etc. and then getting an Art degree is where it may have gone wrong for some folks maybe? I don't personally have any friends with degrees that didn't get jobs out of college, so my perspective may be skewed. :shrug:

Engineering has served me well thus far.... uh let me get back to confirm that in a few weeks/months. :ohdear:

meatpimp posted:

Impressive, QC. You're good people.

For sure. drat good neighbor right there.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Art degrees have value. They simply don't lead to jobs sufficient for a school system that predicates cost to value on high earning STEM field results.

I didn't mean to imply that they don't, it was just an example how an expensive degree might not pay for itself. I honestly have no idea what you can do with that sort of degree though, to be fair. True for a lot of degrees where I don't know wtf you do with it to get a job in that field.

But now I see college more as proof you're able to learn and be taught than anything. High price to demonstrate that. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Goddamn, phones have gotten expensive. I think the last phone I "bought" was included free with a 2 year contract. I'm very fortunate to have a phone provided through work, but they also will call me all the drat time when I'm not there. So like anything, pros and cons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I played DDR in college for my nerdy exercise, if it makes you feel less nerdy. :cool: I got all the chicks.

Narrator: He didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

They found out there was brick under the drywall surrounding their fireplace, so they pulled down all the drywall. Then they found out that the previous owner had attached the drywall with liquid nails. Lots of it. So they had to wire-wheel the liquid nails off of the brick, floor to ceiling. This got a lot of brick colored dust stuck to their ceiling, which led to scraping the popcorn.

Sounds like the average escalating house project. :v:

• Locked thread