Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dagen H posted:

Has hosed*

It's not necessarily ongoing.

Then they're just hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Well hello bootiful

:bigtran:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Can I choose "Do Who" instead of "Do What" as my question?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Your issue seems to be orientation in nature. Try putting the wheels on the ground first.

:haw:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

Man, Toyota first put that scoop on the gt four and then stuck it on everything

I think they're still sticking it on the 4Runner

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Why is there popcorn in the men's room stall?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I average 7 spam calls a day. I pretty much don't answer unless you're a contact in my phone.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

How duper are we talking?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

We all know that any carpet burn Rhyno has from here out is due to home improvement rather than sex.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've been happy with my Google ecosphere outside of 2 day-long outages in the past 2 years.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I bought one of those pull-down mounting kits for my TV. When it's pulled down, it's eye-level. When it's pulled up, it's out of the way and with a Chromecast it can display art.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Is there a medical difference between rectal and anal

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

"Just the tip"

In all seriousness, I've had rectal exams at physicals, but today was the first time it's been called an anal exam

There really wasn't a difference in practice, and I decided I wouldn't ask while he had his finger up my rear end in case he gave a funny answer or something

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 20, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

You are living your best life.

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Okay, tell me everything about locks. We're going to just go ahead and replace the locks on all three external doors. I don't need wifi or bluetooth but keypads are not a bad idea. I assume they install on doors normally and don't require cutting or drilling?

Yep - nothing special about keypad installs other than if you get one that connects via bluetooth/wifi, connect them *before* you install instead of after. They're honestly one step more difficult than replacing a regular lock.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

QuarkMartial posted:

Welp. My parents make me want to drink. How about y'all's?

Non. Stop. Talking.

I'm sympathetic. My mom is non-stop about nothing and my dad and brother are the king and prince of stupid questions.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Our mothers should have a convention. Far far away.

Do you guys' ever pull the "you don't ever tell me anything" line? Yeah mom, I can't get a word in edgewise.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

spog posted:

A whole-house humidifier?

Is that because it uses a very dry heating system or what? I've never heard of such a thing.

Most natural gas furnaces will drop indoor humidity below 40% in regions that go below freezing in the winter. If you can keep the humidity around 40% you can typically set the thermostat back a couple of degrees, remain comfortable, and save energy. Above 50% and people tend to set the thermostat higher to dry the air out. Below 30% you risk damaging furniture, wood floors, etc. Some people (myself included) start experiencing dry eye, sore throats, and skin issues around 30%.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've been watching Black Friday YouTube videos. The Wal-Mart ones seem to involve people with the following characteristics: flannel, obesity, bearded.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cut it out (the tape)

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 23, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

MORE VIDEO

We're going to buy the bulk of our paint today but I'm uncertain if we should move forward with some of this. Gimmie some thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W92T0Cwi_CU

Holistically, congrats on buying the house. You saw through the previous owner's style and see its potential. Unfortunately it needs a lot of work stylistically. The elephant in the house is the mismash of dark trim, light walls, too many flooring colors/types/textures. You're going to have to either bite the bullet and paint the trim throughout the house, or make other decisions to bring harmony. I would lean towards biting the bullet, especially since you haven't moved in yet. It's only going to become more difficult later.

The second thing I would tackle is the flooring. My recommendation is to bring as much consistency as possible. Right now it's like an explosion at the flooring store. Too many surface types, textures, colors. If you're going laminate wood upstairs, every room should have that same laminate. Then pick one something for the wet areas. Same thing downstairs. Pick a flooring for rooms, wet areas, and stick with it. You can get away with a third flooring (carpet) if done carefully. Key is to only have one transition visible in any one room.

Then, because you're DYI, I'm going to recommend going as neutral as possible for your move-in painting. Or skip painting the walls all together and pool your resources to tackle the trim and flooring. Either way come back in a year or two after your furniture has a perma-home and then try to bring color in.

As far as the fireplace room, I would leave the stonework as-is. I really like it. Tackle the trim and bring consistency to the flooring downstairs first. Then I would find a color in the stonework and put it on the walls. Grays would cool the room visually and make the colors in the stonework pop, an off-white or cream would do the same with a warmer feel. A off-white with a blue, green, yellow tint would be interesting.

There will always be something to do until you die. Do the hard stuff now before you move in, spend the extra money to get quality, and save everything else for later.

Just my QEFTSG recommendation

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Not to get in the way of the Rhyno parade, but I moved earlier this year and thought I'd share my adventure.

Note: I didn't follow some of my own advice to Rhyno. Backstory:

I had a 1000 sq ft starter home in a early 50s post-WWII starter home neighborhood, in the first ring of suburbs. Beginning last October I started seeing comps increase 1-2% per month vs 1-2% per year. Then the local housing supply started to dwindle down -- a balanced market is around 10k homes for sale in the metro area. In January comps increased by 10% and the inventory reached 2.5k for sale. In Feb comps increased another 8% and inventory hit 2k. I put my house on the market in March - inventory was around 1750 homes. Comps were selling immediately above listing. We raised the asking price by 10% when we had 3 offers almost immediately, sight unseen. The open house was on day 3 and we had more than 20 couples lined up at the door a half-hour beforehand. 5 offers over listing price and 7 at listing. We played the bidding war for another week and ended up getting 30% over listing.

At the same time I needed a place to live. I started looking for condos downtown, specifically in an area that was underdeveloped but 'up and coming' as it was walking distance to several notable venues. The first condo at first glance appeared to be exactly what I wanted, but the photos were deceiving. It had a lot of DIY repairs that were (very) poorly done and the building condition was not what it should have been for a recent (under 10 year old) gut and remodel. HOAs were high. Hard pass.

The second condo was right on the border of my target area and had been on the market for almost a year. It was about 500 sq ft larger than any other listing below $1MM. The listing photos were poo poo, and the listing agent wasn't much better. PO had done some lovely DIY as well - painted the kitchen cabinets a chocolate color but didn't prep. Painted all the walls but with runs and streaks everywhere. Ran out of paint mid-wall. Bedroom carpets were worn out and had paint all over them. The complex had a great community - it was active and I met several neighbors. HOA had a good reserve, and the building was really well maintained. I put in an offer for 25% below listing and they countered at 20% below. Closing was a nightmare - we found out dude had a $15k lien by the HOA for non-payment. None of the repairs in the contract were done at time of closing, he hadn't moved out when I closed and I ended up having to give him the weekend to finish moving.

So now the video tour - I've done nothing with the carpets or paint (yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxyvUwnno6E

Best set of decisions I ever made. Condo has appreciated since I've been here, they're building/renovating more next door with retail on the lower floors. I pretty much park the car and walk after work/on the weekends.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 24, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

spog posted:

That's a very nice place you've got there. Nice and classy.

(I am midly concerned that you know for fact that 4 adults will fit in your bathtub and then you pan across to a shelf full of body lotion in dispensing bottles, but we all need a hobby, I guess)

The two have nothing to do with one another, amazingly

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Your condo is awesome and is really motivating me to paint all the trim in my house white.

It really is worth the effort if you're going with a lighter pallette. In your place, at the very least, I would take off the dark chair rails if you're going to leave the dark trim. Dark colors only look good if they're grounded.

edit: and thank you

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Liquid Communism posted:

Especially when you're the loving DIY channel inspired flippers that got into all the older housing stock here and slapped cheap white paint over all the beautiful 1920's era six inch wood trim and solid doors.

So this in my book is one of a few exceptions - (one of) my grandparents' house was built in 1924 and had absolutely gorgeous dark wood trim and doors throughout the house. Dark trim looks great with bold and darker colors, as wainscoting, and for built-ins. Rhynohouse in my opinion is not that dark rich wood, it's that reactionary Three's Company stuff that was in style for about 10 years and spawned the equally bad reactionary white on white on white on white of the early 80s. Which spawned the ridiculous reactionary pink and green and brass style of the early 90s. etc etc etc. I would argue that they whole gray/shiplap/barn door/words on a wall style is a reaction to the pre-recession builder-grade mega mansion style.

No offense to intended towards Rhynohouse. I would wager the rooms that have the chair railing had either grasscloth or wallpaper as an upper/lower originally.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 24, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Queen Combat posted:

My cousin had a Volvo 240 in northern Idaho and after looking the procedure up it was less work to just run some beefy cables from the alternator up to the cabin and put a small 12VDC heater at your feet. The blower motor bearings were getting Chewbacca-y anyway so gently caress that poo poo.

I would like an onboard Chewbacca. :colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My wife at times lacks Knife Hygiene, so these will be exciting times.

This would make me nuts. It takes 60 seconds to clean and dry a knife vs hours of spraying at both ends for contaminating.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ohhh

I call that "Knife Discipline"

Knife Hygiene is about avoiding cross contaminating

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I tried to convince my dad it was not 'Sherman William'.

He's still not convinced.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Oh hey, a bazillion posts in the chat thread. Someone's gonna get probed.

edit: there you go

Have you driven a Ford....lately?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

There are soot stains on it in several rooms. You cant clean it or paint over it so it must die.

And you've probably noticed plenty of dust dingleberries as well too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Beverly Cleavage posted:

If it wasn't for the fact that I use prime video regularly, I would have pulled the plug on amazon awhile ago.

Same. And communicating with Amazon has been Comcast levels of bad lately too. It will see what trick Bezos has up his sleeve next, to keep people from ditching Prime en mass.

• Locked thread