Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Queen Combat posted:

I went to Goodwill today to stock back up on ethernet cables (I have a big roll of CAT5 and RJ45 ends, but :effort: I can't find my crimpers and at goodwill they're like a buck a piece) and found a BNIB Canon scanner from 2004 for $5. "Why not?"

Got home, set it up like it was nothing (had to use the Windows 7 x64 drivers), and it works just fine with excellent resolution. My printer is a Dell 3130C color laser toner so I've been avoiding picking up an all-in-one because the printer itself is baller as gently caress and already takes up a ton of space. Photo scanners are pretty good nowadays but like once a year I just need a flatbed. This works a treat and it's crazy that something that's nearly 15 years old and proclaims "Works with Windows XP/2000/NT4" on the box works just fine with a modern x64 system, without any issues.

Feelin' pretty good.

My local "Goodwill" is the electronics garbage bin in the cellar of my apartment building. I've found unopened ethernet cables, HDMI cables, Apple TV etc. Got myself one of those detectors you use on walls for find wood/metal/wires before drilling. One of the battery terminals were "broken" so I fixed it. Probably >$100 in stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Great job!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

I'm on board the free college train. The price of a degree should be 0, borne by society which benefits from its members being educated. Don't want to go? fine, make your own way. Want job training? Fine, society pays for it. Want a degree? Fine, society pays for it. Want a bullshit degree? We'll pay for that too. Society still benefits regardless of field of study, as long as there's a base curriculum that educates on general subjects. Someone with an art degree will still be able to speak coherently and type a readable e-mail.

The way I envision it is that you still have to attend and pass your classes or you're out. Free college opponents want to prevent people just using school to avoid working, and I agree with that. Make measurable progress or stop wasting society's money. Imagine high school but when kids cut class or skip homework they're just kicked out.

But yeah, my daughter is staring down $25k a year for even mediocre schools. I'm trying to convince her to live with me and do community college, because unless she gets some great grants and scholarships it's all out of pocket.

Welcome to Sweden! Lots of Volvos as well!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So 1969 Mustang Fastbacks. Mint ones go for about ~25-35k here in Sweden it seems. I'm not really a american car guy, but who doesn't love a Mustang. A $3300 one shows up. This is the only photo: and the description sucks. It bascially only says that it's for someone who's "able", which means it doesn't run or pass inspection. Of course I'm interested. It seems very cheap though, so either someone who doesn't have a clue, or it's properly poo poo. It wouldn't surprise me if it's sold before the weekend.

I do love the fastbacks though.... heart says go for it. Brain says "Where are you going to get parts in Europe, you idiot".

Edit: VVVV Actually.... found one UK parts dealer and it's not too bad.... o poo poo..

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 29, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Fo3 posted:

I have a BMW in Australia and often end up buying parts from the USA. Postage isn't cheap ($us45 min, up to $99 for either a loaded box or a couple of large items), so parts availability is not going to be a problem and would not be a deal breaker.
Big question is how good are you at welding?

Never welded and don't own a welder. I am planning to learn in the future though. It's not just shipping, but import tax as well. 10% customs + 25% VAT kinda stings. Maybe I should stick to Euro cars or buy a nice condition Mustang in the future to scratch that itch.
A man can dream! Realistically I don't have time for it anytime soon anyway, but it seemed like a very cheap car. Lord knows I've missed out on those before by not having time/trailer etc. Should probably finish university before taking on projects.

Brain wins... again...
I'm also a stubborn idiot and want to do everything myself, so any project I take on I'll probably want do most myself apart from maybe sending off an engine for machining.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As a swede with two 1972 'Murican cars, I can tell you that it's no problem at all. All Autoexperten stores can order from the Hansen Racing catalogue, and Dalhems delivers overnight if you call and ask nicely (and pay for it). And both Dalhems and Arvika El & Motor can order whatever you want from Summit.

Tack!

Saving this for later. The car sold/was removed when I woke up today, so was probably way too cheap. I have no hope in competing with those people. I probably should get a trailer license + trailer in future so I can go pick poo poo up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
ThinkPad P50, or perhaps a bit older one. Louis Rossmann sold me on ThinkPads. Will get one when by Surface Pro 3 breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

puberty worked me over posted:

Microsoft Surface Pro (5th Gen) (Intel Core M, 4GB RAM, 128GB) [/url]

Also not reparable at all, and you won't be able to clean the fans in these (unless they dramatically changed something from the 3/4), if that matters to you. I've enjoyed my SP3 a ton, but I would never buy one again.

• Locked thread