Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

Are we excluding the possibility of immaculate conception?

Being born without sin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ban anybody in the US that didn't vote.

I voted as early as I could, before my name change. Because I knew fuckery would be afoot afterwards, and it was. On this morning's Informed Delivery email, new voter card. Guess what explicitly didn't show up in the mail today, even though everything else did? Voter registration card. So I voted before the change could affect anything, just in case. I've received literal dozens of other letters in my name, wonder why this one didn't make it :thunk:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Don't watch results. Some states won't be done counting until Thursday. Have fun instead, gently caress the haters. I'm gonna be trans even harder now.

Just remember that you can't ever gently caress up as much as Neil did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRsrsT77KuU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Then just back up your argument otherwise with facts from reputable sources. If you can do that, i'll happily admit i was wrong and apologize.

ExplodingSims posted:

Hey guys, the government doesn't literally have a file marked LGBT Death Plans, Fig. A-G, so things cant be that bad, amirite?

This. This facetious statement by Sims is you. You're an idiot if you think otherwise.

"No, they don't want to literally gas them in chambers, only remove all legal protections so it's OK for other people to do just about anything up to that without percussion. Also, I'm fine with this. Yeah, let's let employers fire them, landlords evict them, and cities refuse to service them. That's all superficial, don'tcha know?"

Stop. Stop now.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Guess you don't need a uterus to be hysterical.

Jesus christ :magemage:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

The suicide rate along trans- is something obscenely high, like 30x higher than average iirc? Something like that. Be safe trans- goons. And condolences for your friends.

I don't know in "x" but it's along the lines of 40% attempt. Almost like being in parts of the country that don't want you to exist/beat you up/attempt to kill you on site (around 40%...geographically? with bad luck) can affect things.

In happier news, three states passed the medicaid expansion. Nebraska, Utah, and Idaho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJzJZ5BMIQ

Like, super surprised by those last two, as someone who grew up until 24 in ID. I guess when people who want insurance vote and the government tries to gently caress you out of it six ways to Sunday through other measures and refusing to adopt the marketplace, even a deeply anti-tax, traditional conservative government populace will find ways to get coverage. I'm stoked about it tbh even though I will never live there again.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 8, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Most things were federally illegal under the definition (and trickle down umbrella) of Title IX protections that basically made gender conformity unenforceable, because gender conformity enforcement could basically became a form of sexual harassment. It was all executive interpretation. The harassment (firing because an AFAB presents as male or AMAB presents as female, or how NB or fluid people decide to) is inherently sexual in nature due to how society defines male and female, (and also why gender is a societal construct by its definition, that's not a takedown of gender or anything like pundits claim, it's just how communication works! A group decides to agree on a thing! That's a social construct!). You're looking at someone, saying whether or not they have certain secondary sexual characteristics, and judging their presentation based on that. Makes sense, and is why title IX applied.

Trump is literally stripping those protections with that memo. That memo wasn't just a drat statement, it was a physical, real, effective attack. This isn't a hypothetical, it already happened. You can see why people are upset. Yes, title IX is specific to education institutions, but school is (should be) the backbone of society, and many departments carbon-copy those regulations wholesale. Because there are no laws offering specific protections, individual department policies have been what are carrying and allowing people to live in a society. And this just gives the areas that are looking for an excuse to create a new exclusionary norm a figurehead policy that starts and affects from the ground up. It's a literal "won't somebody think of the children?" scenario, but because the children are tomorrow's country and policymakers and thinkers.

Yeah, places were already being lovely, like they had been (your Texas examples). But laws reflect the people, and the people are directly affected by institutional policy first. The cops get you because the gas station you were robbing called them first type of deal. People make the laws what they are.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 8, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

I would imagine that dealing with new hormones after a lifetime of body image/dysphoria and gender identity issues would be pretty tough on the sadbrains. It's bad enough sometimes when you're just dealing with the hormones you started with.

Suicide rates go down after hormones are prescribed, not up.

:ssh: Most of the suicides happen before, and a lot of times because of restriction to access of them, not because of them :ssh:

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 8, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
One of the patron saints of AI apetor got rear end cancer :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ljxdndp-o

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

CornHolio posted:

My folks are both 64. I thought I had more time than this.

My dad is 64 and my mom not far behind :ohdear:

Actually, for the past five years or so I've been noticing a marked decrease in the quality of conversations, if that makes sense. I see the early underpinnings of speech patterns and broken trains of thought that I also see with elderly and/or psych patients in the hospital.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Livers regrow, but kidneys? And when the family can provide? I mean, can't make the decision for you, but the number of people that I/you see with totally hosed up, short, expensive lives because of kidney failure is gigantic. And when you have two kidneys functioning at only 10%, that's better than one functioning at 5.

When you receive a kidney transplant, they don't take the failed kidney out. They leave it in, because kidney function is so goddamned vital to every part of your body that even that extra 3% on the failed one can dramatically improve your life. I had no idea how important kidneys were until this whole medical career thing - I thought they were the joke organ that was so unimportant that people just donate their "spare" willy-nilly. I advocated for kidney donation and was planning on doing it later in my adult life if I ever needed a decade of altruism smugness to cheer me up. Now, though? Not so sure. I'll donate liver wedges, marrow, and skin to help other people no problem though. Those things regrow.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That expose was "leaked" by the white house as part of an attempt to calm people down before the elections. "Don't worry, he may be an idiot but he has no real power." <"person with no power" implements tariffs that cause the largest buyer of soybeans to drop their importation by 94%> Also...wrong thread?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
If sane polichat is allowed, :siren:Arizona just flipped their senator, from early voting ballots that are being counted right now.:siren:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Big ears?

SUPERLUX HD668B. Semi-open so ya don't get sweaty, super durable (removable cable!), good sound (superlux made drivers for the Sennheiser HD 598 and 650 before stepping out onto their own). Only headphones I can wear with my stick-out ears, and my ex who has probably 20 rings in each ear liked them so much that she kept them. Bringing that up, they're only like $40 so no big loss.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
One day a Mazda 3 keyfob (narrowed down to a 2006-2009) with a flip out key, showed up in the middle of the floor in my apartment.

I've lived here since March and literally nobody has ever been in here but me. I know this, as I also have cameras and motion detectors that would notify me (and the AC controller would turn the fan on and send me a text if it detected motion).

Fully convinced it was just wedged in the recliner by a PO and fell out one day while kickin' it, otherwise I have a Spectral Math Teacher situation.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

The Door Frame posted:

I'm having an idea that I think is a bad one, but I'm not sure. When my fiance left, it was so sudden and we didn't even talk about what was happening for 5 minutes. No joke, the music I was listening in my headphones (yes I took them out) before she gave my ring back and subsequently left had only gone forward by one song

I want to kind of confront her, get a chance to get some closure over this thing. I feel I deserve that much, at least

I feel like it's a bad idea because I don't want us to get back together and this might be a result of our actually sitting and talking, but I need to get some of this poo poo out of my head. It's keeping me up at night

No. Don't.

It's been two years and I'm just starting to heal closed. The brain is dumb and takes time but it's worth it over the potential lifelong mistake. Humans are set apart by complex learning. You've just been given the answer. Don't throw that value away.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I've been invited to my program/school's advisory board meeting dinner tomorrow! I don't know what that's about, but for the past two weeks the head office manager has been reminding me like every other day to go. I've looked at the invite list, and I think I'm the only student from this year going - it's mostly board of nursing liaisons and administration staff. This meeting is held twice a year, and I've been instructed to wear either semiformal business attire, or my school scrubs my wardrobe is in transition, too

I wonder why I've been invited. Can't have anything to do with any of the recent events, right? :thunk:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's a good angle to play it as, yeah! Otherwise I'm bracing for an overall awkward experience. I only have two moods: sarcasm and absolute terror.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, I'm 31, there are a few in their late 40s early 50s. And I'm top 10% grades but not the top. I'm pretty sure it's for the reason I'm thinking about based on how the office assistant approached me. I'm not even that far along but the legal changes kinda zapped everything into action I think.

E: VVVVV Yes on both sentiments in your edit.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 14, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
ALL OF MY PROFS HAVE HAD THEIR HAIR DONE AND THERE ARE WHITE TABLE CLOTHS AND GIFT BAGS AND I'M WEARING SCRUBS AND SOCKS WITH TURKEYS ON THEM.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Time for some fake confidence, friends.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
99% certain that I was there, along with the totally-coincidentally only minorities in the corresponding class groups, to show variations of "diversity" to clinical site and post-graduation employer department heads. But it went well anyway, and we got to ask and answer questions. I was sat front and center, right between the program director and campus president, and they asked me to give input a lot during the two hours.

I learned that a nursing program lives and dies by two things: its NCLEX first-time-pass rates, and the rate of employment during the first six months after graduation. I guess our program hosts these dinners/luncheons in order to give perspectives on those figures to hospitals or other potential employers in order to fight for clinical rotation availability (schools have to compete to convince hospitals to let us shadow as students) and to pump those post-grad numbers up. The hospital representatives were all from hospitals that traditionally don't hire as many of our graduate students compared to others, so it was basically a professional hobnob/advertisement. Ew.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

The Door Frame posted:

Welcome to college!

At least it went well. Did the gift bag have anything good?

Hah, wound/body measuring tape, books and books of post-it notes of varying sizes, washable pens (no rubber grips), novelty badge reel, notepads, and candy. So much candy. So basically nurse crack.

Afterwards, the director and I talked a bit, she asked if I would mind doing things like this again in the future. Feels a bit dirty but hey, if it gets my face out there (networking!) and I get to change things for future trans students, then hell yeah.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hippie trans teetotaling medic mechanic? These are professionals! I'd be thrown in the loony bin. Or invited to parties. Nurses are weird.

E: I don't have class until 1400 tomorrow, watching The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition for the first time ever.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 15, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't used the voice in years.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It's just finishing now, 3:40 in. It's so much better than the theatrical releases. I'm watching 36GB Blu-ray rips on a 4k TV with real surround headphones (actual 3 drivers per side).

(Yes, 3:40. I watch the credits. Y'all've seen how big an Enya fan I am so much I stole her middle name, gotta listen to that poo poo)

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 15, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You dissin my puntl? I've still got my first edition glow/gold one adorning the mantlepiece :v:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

OH, BTW - my advice on that is to just remove the broken off pieces of the snap ring from the valve body, and just leave the (broken) snap ring in. If I'd have done that, I would have been done several *hours* earlier, and a lot less angry. See, the parts of the snap ring that break off are the ends, where the notches/holes for REMOVING THE SNAP RING ARE. Want to make a guess at how incredibly difficult and frustrating it is to remove a snap ring, in a recessed hole, when it has no tool holes?

If you do this, does the broken snapring still function?

Also FA get one of those awesome draining transmission pans if you're gonna be in there. Been on my amazon wishlist forever.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-8...ssion+pan+drain

It's the cheapest I've ever seen it, too. For that price I'd also buy a fumoto valve because gently caress it why not.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You're right, it would be close. But still, I regret not getting the drain pan every time I think about it. I've wanted to flush the transmission a few times now simply due to the service history of the car.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like a LEGO wheel

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Fallout 4 is bad
76 is worse.

But if you enjoy it, do you.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Professor: Credible sources are places like the National Institute of Health, papers accessed from the school's online library (like Pubmed, EBSCO, ProQuest), and your textbooks.

Student: Pulls from the NIH, the library, and the textbook.

Professor:

:psyduck:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I want a new account theme but how can I possibly top inchi dickari

Come on the main character in Boku no Hero is literally called Deku.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I did exactly as they asked, if you read the picture. Those are my sources for the single paragraph answer I gave to that particular question.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

... I was agreeing with you.

Ah. Yeah, just doing what they want and still getting dinged for it in the comments. Weird that NIH isn't considered a proper source even though it's the most proper source IMO.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's... Not the best news. I hope for the best.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hep C is no joke and treatment in the US is like thirty thousand dollars after insurance last time I checked.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You really should freeze most of that. Refrigerated foods can have lives as short as 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
And the Pro plays smoother in 1080p than the regular PS4, and sometimes uses higher resolution textures and stuff.

My Pro arrives on Monday. My last console (other than the switch, which has been passed on) was a launch day Wii.

• Locked thread