Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

I need a new DD.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

I'm daily driving a 94 Rx-7 that hasn't moved since '01 on Portland's most traveled roads. It's basically my version of hell for ~2 hours a day.

Ouch.

I'm dding the speed6 which is making more noises than it should whilst consuming premium fuel and spitting out 20mpg on a good day. But my work drive is only 25 minutes each way. Once we close on the house I'm going to dive into OT and get me a fuckin Prius or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, Target has some insane deals on TVs this black friday. Almost makes me want to head out that day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Aren't most of those deals available online too?

The very best ones say in store only. But I will most likely wait for SB season to buy a tv, the deals are just as good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

Jsut be warned that - from what I have learned here - the TVs in Target/Walmart may be special, lower-quality ones especially for them.

This is normally the case for the cheapy cheap stuff and that's all I want for the basement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RIP STR.

Just wrapped up my OT weekend holy poo poo I'm tired. This 19 day stretch is gonna kill me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

I've gathered that has not gone well. You may recall previous posts regarding conversations re: jobs and sleep times are rather... non-compromising from the distaff side.

edit: I'd like to note that I hate that this is happening. STR seemed happy, and it looked like he was heading for a good thing at the beginning. Guess you really don't know someone until you live with them for a while.

This is true. My wife and I went through a very turbulent time when we first moved in together (the house was cursed) and it nearly ended us. But we were stronger than that and have stood the test.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Lmao "Yeah I know a skunk guy"

As if you aren't furiously PMing him for details.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm about to give that ballot a straight D.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

I just D'ed my ballot so hard. I've never done that before, but literally, if it had a "D," then it was for me.

I like the straight party option, there were a lot of R's running unopposed and it's nice to not be forced to vote for them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So they totally fired a dude today because he's been eating food out of the fridges in the break rooms.

That's break ROOMS. His badge was flagged going into buildings he doesn't work in and they got curious and checked the cameras and his dumbass was going to the various rooms and stuffing his face.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mewse posted:

Imagine being a smaller company and not being able to catch this guy

That's when people start poisoning decoy food.

Darchangel posted:

Good. There's a special hell reserved for fucksticks like that.

It's the funniest firing I've ever heard of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

But that day after, though... I love spicy food but my rear end sure doesn't.

So say we all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Not me, I love spicy food but I have never charred my butthole.

You don't know spicy then my dude. You ain't lived til it burns your mouth at night and your rear end in a top hat in the monring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Sounds like you just have a weak rear end.

We can't all be Dave.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And in a surprise to no one, nothing changed in Indiana.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fender Anarchist posted:

i've been hiding this for like 4 months but gently caress it yall are cool

so yeah i caught me a case of the genders. that's pretty important context for my reaction to all this. my state vocally and undeniably wants me dead, or at least cares enough about MAH TAX DOLLARS that they're willing to vote in politicians who do, which is functionally no different. i can't even claim the right wingers are a vocal minority anymore, 8 million people voted yesterday, something like 60% of the state, and we still lost.

gently caress this state gently caress the south gently caress the country gently caress this gay earth

Everyone here supports you. We're a bunch of disfunctional assholes but at least none of us are racist bigots. Get the gently caress out of there for your own health and safety.

So I just came from the structural inspection and they found no issues with the slab or foundation or anything. This means Rhyno will be closing on his new home very soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No it's not. I choose not to vote and wouldn't appreciate being forced to do it.

I'd say eventually we'll have no choice. Like how we have to have "health care" now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Hate to ask more questions but is it worth it to pay a lot more and stay near French Quarter / Bourbon Street or in the day and age of uber is it ok to stay by airport? We are talking about hundreds of dollars difference (New Orleans)

Just depends on how much time you want to waste traveling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

I have no idea I'd rather stumble drunk back to a hotel but lots of places seem to be like a max of 9 miles away that shouldnt take long in uber right? I know nothing about New Orleans

I haven't been in ages but 9 miles could take a long time if there's traffic. It took us 2 hours to travel a few miles in LA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Guess you don't need a uterus to be hysterical.

For gently caress's sake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

And maybe being the zodiac killer.

What's this maybe poo poo?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We are set to close on the house in 24 days and this wait is going to be agonizing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been thinking about this for a few days and Trump's hatred of the media almost makes sense. Because as it stands today, the media can be loving dangerous.

I'm not talking about CNN or Fox News, I'm talking about some douchebag with a Twitter or YT channel, an agenda and an audience. If you have a crowd of rabid followers and you want to hurt someone, you can cause a lot of damage in the name of freedom of the press. I've been seeing a lot of this across the various social media services. There's some ex soldier with 4 million followers teling them it's just fine and dandy to assault people protesting Trump and that people are actually listening to this guy kind of terrifies me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

Woof, there goes the economy of half the midwest. Can't wait to see the spin on that one

Also, we can do political chat here, as long as we ain't shitheads, right?

Oh man, I know several farmers that switched from corn to soybeans years ago because the thinking was there would never be a lax in demand for soy. Now everyone is sitting on mountains of them praying they can dump them before they're no good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, the sellers have had more than half of our requested repairs completed. We might be able to close on the original date.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

What did the engineer say about the bowing wall and the remediation? Not sure if you posted about it earlier or not.

There are no issues with the slab or foundation. The wall is a different problem that according to the contractor, is very fixable.

quote:

The gypsum board was found to be bulging out on both sides of the existing stair wall (see
photos 6 & 7). This wood stud wall is directly above the basement wall. The existing first
floor framing in this area was found to be only slightly out of level. Note: The door leading
into the basement does not close properly. There was also a large gypsum board crack in
the doorway between the Kitchen and Dining Room above this basement wall (see photo 8).

Most likely, movement between the basement area and poured-in-place concrete slab
caused most of this movement. Possible compression of the wall stud framing may have
caused the bowing of the existing gypsum board. The movement documented appears to
have been present for many years and no active movement was observed. Our office
recommends removing the bulging gypsum board on both sides of the wall and replacing
with new. The door leading to the basement should also be re-set so it operates properly.

The contractor they've had look at it says they would demo out the drywall, and then lift the wall slightly so they can lay in a new base board. This will cause a few more cracks but they will be fixing the existing ones as well as any new cracks that form. He also thinks this will remedy the door issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

If nothing else, removing the drywall will give the opportunity to see far better what's going on.

Hope it all works out for you.

Having the repair done before we take possession is one of the last things we requested. They initially wanted us to get an estimate and they'd write us a check but I wanted it done before we get keys. Our realtors are bouncing that back and forth right now. Original close date was the 21st, we wanted to push back to Dec 2nd so everything on the list could be done. They're writing us a check for the minor things (that I and my friends can do) but this one I've been pretty hard on. They want to push closing up but we'll see what monday brings.

The guy who was going to paint for us can't fit us in until January so we're going to paint the essential rooms ourselves the week after we get keys and then start moving in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, a really good buddy of mine has just let me down pretty badly. Like my feelings are actually hurt over this. I don't want to get into specifics but I am pretty bummed about what he's doing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He didn't do anything dramatic, there's no drugs, violence or jail time. He just made a promise that was somewhat important and broke it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Um, they gave us the key lock access code. So we have full access to the house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

Dating your sister?

No. I can't really explain it I guess. Just know that If I'm disappointed in someone it must be pretty terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

People are generally unreliable.
This is a newsflash special update.

You got married and are buying a house. Give a gently caress about them, give no fucks about people that are unreliable or untrustworthy. Move on.

Yeah, life goes on. Still sucks. I'd done a fairly good job weeding out the rotten people in my life, I didn't expect one of my inner circle to do lovely stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

My inner circle consists of about 8 people, including my wife, kids and parents. Anything outside of that? Suspect.

My groomsmen plus 3 more and my sister. I have other friends but I don't feel bad about not seeing them regularly.

So. house stuff. The service tech at one of the properties my wife worked at is having a rough time financially. He mentioned he was looking for side jobs and he's a licenced contractor so we're having him do the wall repair and he's gonna toss a quote at us to paint the whole house. He's also going to demo the french doors and wall up the hole. As we have access they've also given us the go ahead to start cleaning so I'm going over tomorrow to clear the junk out of the attic and garage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Weren't the current owners doing the wall repair before possession? Or is this a different repair?

While that might not be the best idea on their part (I would personally never do that), I would caution you about doing anything in the house before it's yours. If something goes sideways on the deal you don't want to have your own $$$ in it nor give them any avenue to come after you for anything.

This is the same repair and the sellers are still footing the bill for the wall repair. We just want to have that wall work done asap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomarse posted:

1) Write everything down in a letter. Don’t hold back.

2) Burn the letter

3) _________

4) profit

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're literally waiting on a contractor quote and we can close on the house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grakkus posted:

RIP Stan Lee :(

His final days were a literal living hell. His passing is very sad but he is absolutely in a better place now. Hopefully reunited with his wife.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, car interiors actually have some semblance of design again. But man, mid-2000s cars are terrible. Just miles and miles of flat untextured plastic.
Dodge was especially bad about his.

My mid 00's Mazda interior isn't terrible but it's pretty bland.

Five more steps taken towards home ownership and closing. Officially hired contractor to do the interior repair and another to do the other stuff. We're gonna stop by Menards to check out flooring as one room has janky carpeting and price out paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, we might have just gotten a pallet of laminate vinyl tile flooring for free from my wife's company.

• Locked thread