Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

freelop posted:

We had loads of trick or treaters last night and all were nice and polite which was lovely.
Car passed it's MOT without any comments too :toot:

I won't get the Christmas decs out for some time but I have been collecting AI:SS bits throughout the year

My tree is up already!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The very best ones say in store only. But I will most likely wait for SB season to buy a tv, the deals are just as good.

Jsut be warned that - from what I have learned here - the TVs in Target/Walmart may be special, lower-quality ones especially for them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

everdave posted:

There was a sale and I picked up one of those USB powerbank/jumpstarters. It feels solid and of good quality. I still don't believe it until I see it work but I am going to try to jump the Majesta with it tonight or tomorrow (pouring down rain now)

May I suggest double-checking the instructions before using?

Mine said in really small print about how long you can crank for and how long you should leave it between unsucessful cranks before retrying (else you melt bits of it). Then quickly disconnecting it once the car starts

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

New Binky is GLORIOUS. That alternator setup.......

I usually watch those episodes and think that with a hint of self-delusion and a crash course in welding, I could do what they are doing (poorly, obviously)

and there are ones like this where I just sit slack-jawed

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AdiaBOOtic posted:

You guys Im sad halloween is over and I have to change the threads back to normal boring names.

You can keep them as long as people post whilst wearing slutty Halloween costumes.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Siochain posted:

Something something dad's gravy... :P

Everybody likes a big bird at Thanksgiving?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Are we excluding the possibility of immaculate conception?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not sure if Hong Kong and Singapore sellers are stilll stupid cheap these days. Worth a look?

https://www.price.com.hk/search.php?g=A&q=canon

Will give google translate a work out, but I think you can find your way around.

https://www.peterstewartphotography.com/Blog/Buying-New-and-Second-Hand-Cam
Useful guide.

Personally, I would stick to the big chain stores: Wing Shing, Broadway, Fortress

spog
Aug 7, 2004

STR posted:

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly everdave, except without kids? :sigh: (speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

In Russina Roulette, you only get to pull the trigger a max of 6 time before it all goes wrong.

There has been at least that many saturday nights since you two started dating.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Today's word of the day:

Felching.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Someone doxx STR for the sole purpose of sending him some kind of pie every Thanksgiving, for the ultimate callback.

"Another pie? Honey, why--"
"Don't ask."

Just teach his kids to do it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

STR posted:

The worst part is she's started reading the forums, so it's only a matter of time until she sees.... this.

Be honest: you introduced her to these forums because subconsciosly, you hope she'll read this thread and understand your unhappiness and start the break-up herself.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CornHolio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcmbT34H-bQ

That feeling when Regular Car Reviews guy reviews a vehicle you literally design and build every day

I thought you made fire engines?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Parent company does. I work for Utilimaster and we build those bodies.

I would like to know more.

It's food and trucks. If you could get video games/sexual bits in there, you've got the perfect forum topic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Our news sites are saying that a Good Thing has happened, politically, there.

So, congratulations!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fender Anarchist posted:

i've been hiding this for like 4 months but gently caress it yall are cool

so yeah i caught me a case of the genders. that's pretty important context for my reaction to all this. my state vocally and undeniably wants me dead, or at least cares enough about MAH TAX DOLLARS that they're willing to vote in politicians who do, which is functionally no different. i can't even claim the right wingers are a vocal minority anymore, 8 million people voted yesterday, something like 60% of the state, and we still lost.

Yeah, we want you alive and happy.

And whose opinions are more important in this world: politicians or a bunch of members of a forum famous for making GBS threads-pants, in a sub-forum where the common theme is that the internal combustion engine was a gift from Jesus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJbSvidohg

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fender Anarchist posted:

well if nothing else the despair i've been feeling for the last twelve hours is slowly morphing into a burning hateful rage i haven't felt since i worked at loving sears

so that's.... something?

god i want to pound people's faces and i hate that i want that

Time of the month?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fender Anarchist posted:

^^I started hormones on monday so I doubt there's been time for that yet.

yeah the whole "realizing who i am" thing and sorting out the fallout from that has been the main thing that's kept me from really making plans, it started hitting right after i graduated and had a lot more free time to reflect. now i've got my meds, i've got a prescription as precedent, and i've got a literal life-or-death reason to blow this loving joint.

gently caress do I hate that it's happening like this.

The best revenge is living well.

I don't care about the opinions of people I don't respect.
Au contraire, I take the view that if an rear end in a top hat hates me, that must mean I am a Real Cool Dude. So the more assholes who dislike me, the happier I am.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'd like to apologise for starting vote chat.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

She gave me back the ring

Who did what now?

Is this going to make me sad for you?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone's day? Anything you're looking forward to?

Paying someone £225 to replace a fuel pump cause the tank needs to be dropped and I'm not doing that under jackstands.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dropped mine a bit ago, it really didn't want to come out at first and was a complete dick in all honesty due to the main nuts not wanting to loosen from 30 years of road grime blasted at them. Once it was off though the straps were cleaned and repainted with nice rubber paint before I put it back in to drive the car to the workshop it lives at now. Dropping it again next week, should be a lot easier now!

Good to know: I'd feel a bit of a wuss if it turned out to be an easy job.

I know I am overpaying for the replacement pump rather than sourcing it myself, but I've heard anecdotally that the replacements fail at quite a rate so at least this way, it's on the garage to replace if it fails

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

It's weird, last night felt like my world was ending, but now I feel completely normal. And a little hungover. What I miss most right now is our dog, she kept it

When is your country and western album coming out?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I just wish my family and friends weren't walking around on eggshells

Don't worry, we won't do that to you here.

rear end in a top hat.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I would be lying to say that I'm not sad, it hurts a lot, but we'd been together for 7 years. We started dating just a few months after we graduated high school. Looking back at it, I did so much to help her through college and get her career going, but she never reciprocated. Time to find out who I am, and to build my own life

I just wish my family and friends weren't walking around on eggshells

When you think about it, you've got FA making the flip this month and QC a couple before that: that's two eligible bachelors less competition and two hot chicks more on the market - the odds for you are improving every day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Okay, I m genuinely concerned about the freezer with too much ice in it.

Are we talking about a build-up of ice, rather than ice cubes?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

Here's the conversation:

So, two grown men share a house and a freezer.
Each enjoys ice, but refuses to use ice from the other's ice-tray and so they insist on having their own, personal ice-trays that the other cannot use.
There are so many ice trays in the freezer, that you can't get one person's trays out without removing the other's first.
This is causing distress and conflict that threatens to engulf the whole family.

Is that a fair summary?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, it's good to know that my gut feeling about being a loving idiot is 100% accurate

I have strong opinions and like to argue, but I rarely get genuinely angry about anything. I'm a very easy going person in real life, despite what my posts might suggest. When I think about how cruel our break up was, I get this deep resentment that I don't know how to deal with because I don't normally get angry. Or even hold on to anger for more than a few hours. I was hoping that telling her how I felt would make the anger stop, but I'm clearly grasping at straws here

My friends are telling me that I need to talk to her about this, but I'm going to maintain radio silence for the time being. Maybe give it a couple months before I try to find out what the gently caress actually happened. Find some other way to get this festering mass of emotions out of my head

https://youtu.be/--1LBnOcHhQ

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Remembrance Sunday.

Always good to stop and take a moment to remember how lucky our generation is and think about those who made sacrifices for us.

I think about what my experience would have been if I were a young man at the time of the Great War and realise that it probably would have been to die in an utterly pointless fashion.

spog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 11, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

NumbersMatching320 posted:

sidewalls are extremely difficult without a cured repair (as would happen during retreading) because of all the flex that happens in the area due to the belts only extending so far. I spent the last year of my tire career testing the limits and if the corded section of a reinforced patch (such as a CT-12) extends much past the belted section of a radial tire it will almost invariably fail. Non-reinforced patches may do better but I don't trust them all that far due to the smaller bonding area.

That said I would never at any point in my tire career have even hesitated before repairing Nemesis' tire, that is so far inside my personal margin I could just about put another patch between a patch covering that nail and the no-go line.

desire to know more intensifies.gif

Would you be able to annote a picture of a tire and show the exact positions/limits/measurements of what you think is safe and what you think good repairers would be willing to do, as well as share more info on the different types of repairs?

Hearing knowledge from someone with expert experience is always a treat.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speaking of tyre repair, one from the late night youtube recommendations folder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdB8IXXShVE

Hell of a cliffhanger.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dropped mine a bit ago, it really didn't want to come out at first and was a complete dick in all honesty due to the main nuts not wanting to loosen from 30 years of road grime blasted at them. Once it was off though the straps were cleaned and repainted with nice rubber paint before I put it back in to drive the car to the workshop it lives at now. Dropping it again next week, should be a lot easier now!

£225 to have a brand new fuel pump fitted.

Turned out that the problem was a small crack in a perished hose in the pump assembly. All that work to replace 2cents of rubber hosing. Hey ho, always the way.

Treated myself to some tutti-frutti screenwash as a treat.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Ever have one of those days where you just want to stand up and walk away from everything?

Only monday to friday

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Unable to get it up?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Aren't you the oldest in your programme?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Maybe someone wants to hit on you and this is their move?

E: are scrubs gendered? Cause the look equally unflattering and gender-neutral to me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Generic scrubs are gender-neutral, but there are more attractive options available to people who feel the need to blow some cash to look good at work.

What, like wider labels or shoulder pads?

Or flame patterns? It's flame patterns, isn't it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I think my coworker has a thing for me, considering that he kissed me while we were having a smoke break

Don't get too flattered: he might just have been so desperate for a nicotine fix that he was trying to suck the smoke out of your lungs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

People literally buy scrubs designed for Grey's Anatomy because they fit and look better. Figs also seems to be popular. (Personally, I'm a Fashion Seal guy. No-frills, usual crap style, but they last and the sizing is consistent.)

Which one is you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

ALL OF MY PROFS HAVE HAD THEIR HAIR DONE AND THERE ARE WHITE TABLE CLOTHS AND GIFT BAGS AND I'M WEARING SCRUBS AND SOCKS WITH TURKEYS ON THEM.

Own them.

• Locked thread