Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Every dad fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I thought I'd been to enough concerts lately to predict the schedule, but tonight I walked in to a show at 9:15 and it was ending. The opener started at 7:30 and the headliner finished at 9:20. Shortest concert I've seen, which sucks because I missed it. Usually around here the headliners start at 9 or 10 and end at like 10:30-11:30.

As fascist as things are going, there were tons of progressive wins tonight. Colorado elected the country's first openly gay Governor tonight, good on us. He's even married!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

some_admin posted:

There was a bunch of spending on Colorado ballot.
Big f u to oil companies et al.
Tax the rich
Fix the roads
Fix school funding
Fix mental/homeless
Campaign finance reform
Boom times here at the moment, for last ten years, too.

All of it shot down.
Oh well.

Local funding in Denver did pretty good.
Gerrymandering fix is in
Gay married gov yay
House & senate

Not all of it, that one measure about property values was disguised, it was really oil companies trying to make it law to allow them to sue the state for lost revenue if we prevent them from sucking every penny out of the ground. It failed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Y'all are nuts.

Edit: in unrelated news, the respiratory tech at work who was declared braindead after a motorcycle accident ... woke up, has started rehab, and will be going home soon.

Oh man that guy deserves an epic nickname after that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

People definitely get attached to their culture. I don't understand why people get huffy about this stuff ("If its sweet, its cake!") -- I definitely have some attachment to the foods I grew up with, but it is just so very awesome to live in a metropolitan area with so many different cultures and foods.

Related side-note: What everyone calls pot pie is 100% not what I grew up with as pot pie. Pennsylvania Dutch pot pie isn't meat and vegetables in a crust, it's meat and noodles in a gravy. There appear to be warring factions in this subgroup as well, with some using eggs in the noodles and some not. My family was the latter. This looks close to my grandmother's recipe's final results; she always used ham instead of chicken. On cold winter days, it's the food I miss most from growing up, I think.

I agree, there is something about a consistent food you ate your whole life. Your last comment reminds me of my grandma's pumpkin pie, which we only got for thanksgiving and christmas. For years my sister tried to get the recipe out of her and she always said the same thing - "Oh I just use the recipe on the can". My sister made it from the recipe on the can and was like "yeah grandma's a loving liar." Grandma took her recipe to the grave for some reason, but my sister gets closer every year. That or our memories are fading.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

spog posted:

If you are going down the route of reasonable paranoia, you could consider anti-shatter glass film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZy4DJHM_fs

I researched that stuff for my current place because the front entryway is completely hidden from the street and it has a 5 foot square window at ground level that enters in to my kitchen. The previous owner had literal jail bars installed that couldn't possibly have been to code because there was no way to escape through them and it made me paranoid. All the other windows are so out in the open that anyone breaking in would immediately get the cops called on them.

I figure if I stay here longer than another couple years I'll replace the windows and put that stuff on them. Long term, I really want a secure place with thick metal door frames and some custom locking thing I invent for myself that can't be casually figured out.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm bad at shooting video and I ramble a lot.

https://youtu.be/8BjETtliT_c

Congrats! I love the excitement of a new place. I'd take a couple sleeping bags, an air mattress, and some frozen pizzas over there and spend the night just for fun.

I'd think your foyer might make a better dining room than the dining room. If it's big enough that is. Then make that dining room into a home theater. Once the patio door is walled off you'll only have one window, throw some blackout curtains on it and you have a perfect long skinny room for movies.

Also if you do use the foyer for eating, definitely expand the kitchen out into the breakfast area.

And since the living room is right off the garage and kitchen, it seems like it might make a better project room or casual hangout room. I dunno. Overall seems like a great buy, enjoy!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I agree with not touching vintage wood trim, but as has been said, my townhouse was an 80's shitbox too. It was pale yellow walls, cheap generic brown trim, and green carpet, with all brass hardware. I chose to white out all the trim and do brushed nickel on all hardware and it completely updated the whole place. I didn't realize I was trendy as this was 12 years ago and I was just doing what I wanted.

The carpet was fairly new and very high quality so I picked colors that work with it and kept it. It's still holding up today. Here's a sample:

Before:

After:

That front door is the original wall yellow.

Oh Rhyno: A tip from my buddy who does a lot of painting and updating: When you get several gallons of the same color paint, get a 5 gallon bucket and mix all of them together so you know for sure they match. Nothing sucks like painting half a wall, switching buckets and finding that the tint is just a teensy tiny bit different because they still only pay minimum wage at the paint counter.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm helping a friend who just finished scraping his popcorn ceiling. Only it vaults at a near 45 degree angle to a 15 foot high peak. He had to buy a scaffold for that job. He spritzed it with a spray bottle of water to soften it and then hand scraped the whole thing. Nightmare work. They're just now to mud patching and sanding.

This is fun living vicariously through your house Rhyno, takes me back to the excitement of my own place. I've been craving that lately.

Oh, and I had a nightmare last night that the reason the drywall is bulging is due to 450 lb of insect carcasses in there. Cut a small hole first!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm on board the free college train. The price of a degree should be 0, borne by society which benefits from its members being educated. Don't want to go? fine, make your own way. Want job training? Fine, society pays for it. Want a degree? Fine, society pays for it. Want a bullshit degree? We'll pay for that too. Society still benefits regardless of field of study, as long as there's a base curriculum that educates on general subjects. Someone with an art degree will still be able to speak coherently and type a readable e-mail.

The way I envision it is that you still have to attend and pass your classes or you're out. Free college opponents want to prevent people just using school to avoid working, and I agree with that. Make measurable progress or stop wasting society's money. Imagine high school but when kids cut class or skip homework they're just kicked out.

But yeah, my daughter is staring down $25k a year for even mediocre schools. I'm trying to convince her to live with me and do community college, because unless she gets some great grants and scholarships it's all out of pocket.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I don't get the hate for popcorn ceiling. I guess I just accept that it's there and it does its job. It leaves me alone, I leave it alone.

My friends who are currently scraping theirs said they hate it because it's impossible to wash it. I just replied with the fact that I've never washed a ceiling in my life.

In fairness, they're insane when it comes to doing what they want with their house. They found out there was brick under the drywall surrounding their fireplace, so they pulled down all the drywall. Then they found out that the previous owner had attached the drywall with liquid nails. Lots of it. So they had to wire-wheel the liquid nails off of the brick, floor to ceiling. This got a lot of brick colored dust stuck to their ceiling, which led to scraping the popcorn.

Way too much work for me, I would have just re-glued new drywall back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I still love Amazon prime and I'm starting to feel guilty for it. But I have HBO and Showtime subs through them so I use their video more than Netflix. And I'm still one of the morons who must own a copy of the music I listen to, so I buy and download tons of it from them.

Prime is actually getting better here in Denver, I'm seeing more and more free one day shipping, they must have opened another warehouse locally. But yeah I've also learned to be wary of cheap poo poo and I search long and hard to make sure I'm buying the actual thing I want to buy. I've been burned a couple times trying to save a few bucks so I just put in the extra effort and often give myself a waiting period to think before buying.

• Locked thread