Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

RIP manyak dunc caff dangersim marching powder ain Fatherdog etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I thought Felix's 4th episode was very good but the 5th was a little sherdoggy and annoyed me

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

spb posted:

Idk why they chose Felix to narrate, his voice is awful

yeah i totally agree with that too. i get that he probably wanted to do it himself but man is it rough to listen to only him for 20-30 minutes

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If anyone was wondering what the broader point of the mma doc was they really need to watch part five

can you elaborate on what you think it is because i thought it was kind of meandering

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

"Everything you love will be monetized and watered down and ruined by the same rich fucks who try to extract the most money for themselves at the cost of normal people as everything else. You can build something new and they'll gently caress that up too as soon as it's successful. Also here's a backdrop of things just getting shittier and more alienating at the same time as this weirdo outsider thing gets monetized into poo poo. Rip"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSuwnj_qo40

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I didn't say it was an uplifting one, and he ain't wrong

I'll drop it after this post because I don't want to clog up the thread with my film analysis but it just seems like a dumb point since the decline of the sport from his point of view is due to low fighter pay (which has always been a factor, and used to be worse even with sponsorships), the reebok deal, and better drug testing. It just reeks to me of old people being like "music in my day was so much better than this new crap". I guess he cites his favorite fighters losing too? But I mean, the UFC has always been running as fast as they could towards monetizing just about anything. If anyone thinks this sport used to be more pure and less greedy, I just don't think that's realistic.

I described the fifth episode earlier as sherdoggy because it's full of relatively dumb complaints that people on that forum still make, and here too to a lesser and somewhat more tolerable extent. We'd all love for fighters to get paid more. Even if we don't like it, I think we all understand the thinking behind the Reebok deal. I don't want all my favorite fighters to die young from heart failure after pounding EPO their whole careers, and supporting an environment where people have to use PEDs is not conducive to the health of the sport. All the fighters you love right now will eventually get old and lose. Try not to be upset now that we've been following this sport for 10+ years and you're more grown up now and busy with adult things and there are too many cards and fighters to keep track of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

fighter pay has always been low in absolute terms but it is much much lower than it used to be in terms of fighter pay as a percentage of revenue. Fighters have always been paid like poo poo, this four billion dollar ESPN behemoth is what's new.

fair point

Gay Horney posted:

with all that being said I havent watched the documentary and think Felix is kind of a dumb rear end and Jon Bois is a twee dork

fair point. it probably is worth a watch though