Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Okay not mind control, but just as loving stupid. Points for that I guess.

Edit: Oh hey, new page :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Glazius posted:

Would it have been a dark planet if we were a darkness mage? It's hard to tell. Obviously it would have been a dark door so we could go through it... right?

The door changes based on your character, yes.

Hoo boy it can't be understated how easy Dragonatrix made Mudflap look. That fight's a real ramp up in difficulty with all those status effects, especially Sick(aka Mute). Mute effects are pretty scary when your entire party are mages!

And yeah Sorbet does not play well with others. Of the six characters she's the purest mage in terms of skills... and attitude :v:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Glazius posted:

Would it have been a dark planet if we were a darkness mage? It's hard to tell. Obviously it would have been a dark door so we could go through it... right?

They talk about the Light Planet no matter what. Though if you're a darkness mage, that whole battle sequence happens in the next hallway over in front of the matching Dark door.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so durum's plan to get the village to stop being mad at him for sacrificing a bunch of other people instead of his daughter is to sacrifice the last person still loyal to him instead of his daughter. i'm curious how the game will spin this so he ends up as chief again.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pico, you're too good for Sorbet. Set your sights on someone less dumb and arrogant

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so durum's plan to get the village to stop being mad at him for sacrificing a bunch of other people instead of his daughter is to sacrifice the last person still loyal to him instead of his daughter. i'm curious how the game will spin this so he ends up as chief again.
I dunno if he's thinking that far ahead, or if he's still on the "those drat dirty pirates will never take my precious daughter!" stage of the plan.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Bellmaker posted:

Hoo boy it can't be understated how easy Dragonatrix made Mudflap look. That fight's a real ramp up in difficulty with all those status effects, especially Sick(aka Mute). Mute effects are pretty scary when your entire party are mages!

I think this is like my superpower or something, at this point.

That 20% Blind chance kicking in for once did most of the heavy lifting here, though. :v:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

quote:

Eeeeek!

lol

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Slaan posted:

Pico, you're too good for Sorbet. Set your sights on someone less dumb and arrogant

Pico is impulsive and quick-tempered; Sorbet is also impulsive as heck but tells herself that actually, she has a cunning plan that's guaranteed to work, and blames everyone else when it all goes ttttthhhhhppbt

imo they're more alike than either would ever admit, which should make them pretty dang compatible

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Okay, so before we do anything else let's check out Mokka's neat new hat. The Pigheaded Hat that we casually pocketed from Gil Mudflap has +6 IQ and +6 Defense which is pretty good. But it also has an added effect, that is vaguely alluded to here. It's Auto-Strong, so what's Strong you may ask? It's a special effect that can only be obtained in two ways, and this is one of them. It grants a boost to Power, IQ, Defense, Spirit and Agility.

...Huh, just got some weird deja vu.

Don't tell me you flew all the way here in that hunk of slag!
Yeah, and it's awesome!
Oh, duh! Sorbet's never seen Neumann before! So? What do you think? Cool, isn't it?

Looks a little clunky...

Jeez, so hard to please. Not like you've seen a better ship before...

...Although, she has been on a pirate ship and we haven't. They do look pretty cool...

Anyway, let's just head on over to Cassia. Not much to do here so we'll run on over to the dwarves. Bechamel's not hanging out on the beach this time, unfortunately.

There's a place called Condimen Tower there. That's where you'll find him.
Keeps to himself mostly, but you'll figure somethin' out.

Hayup, that's a tall order if you ask me. Go talk to Grenadine. He's pretty solid. He oughta be able to do somethin'.
He ain't the best rocket builder in the galaxy for nothin'.

It'll get you in to Macaroon. Y'know, where the dwarves live.

Aww yeah, we've got a fake beard! Sugar is so gonna put it on and pretend to be a dwarf!

We got kicked out there years ago, but you should be able to get in if you show 'em that there fake beard.
It's a real shame, but I think we aren't ever gonna go back to Condimen Tower.
Ah, I do miss it. I wish I could help you, but that ain't gonna happen. You're gonna need Grenadine on yer side.
Take that thing with you and get on over to Condimen Tower in Macaroon.

Just show it to Barabbas, huh? Not wear it? That's oddly disappointi--

Oh. That's pretty dang gross! Never mind then!

...Hm, y'know what? We got the Pyramid Hat before and we're here right now. Let's just walk around this beach here, Tangerine Beach West, for a few minutes.

We were missing the last enemy here after all. Permafrost here is very rare, and only appears on like one screen of Dragon Road and this one beach where Neumann's parked.

Since it also has a pretty rare drop, we're gonna finally use some Slippy Oil on this guy.

Slippy Oil affects every enemy with the Clumsy status condition. It's pretty simple, because it just increases the drop rate. Doesn't feel like a super huge amount, but...

We're gonna do it twice, because Clumsy stacks with itself. This is pretty drat important, for reasons we'll get to in a second.

Now, the Permafrost itself is a bit of a gimmicky enemy. It has fairly high defence, 300HP and fully heals whenever it gets a turn.

Unfortunately for it, it's
slooooooooow. It would potentially get turns at Dragon Road, just as a result of our lower damage output, but it sure as hell doesn't now.

Once we kill it, it'll drop a set of Pearls. This is a piece of equipment that we will definitely want (but we're not using them just yet).

Oh and in this case it always drop the Pearls. Not because it's guaranteed, but because I'm pretty sure that if you use Slippy Oil twice in a fight then anything that gets hit by both always drops whatever item they have.

Slippy Oil costs 120 bira to buy. Just... just remember that.

We're not back to Razen just yet either. We're gonna take a quick trip to the Quinoa Plains on Puffoon.

While we're here, we might as well use Pico's Wild Magic to spawn the remaining bean pops since I missed a few last time.

...None of them spawned directly on-screen because I'm fantastic at positioning.

Ayway, there's a second caterpillar boy here except this one is gold.

The Gold Sneakbug's also a bit gimmicky. It has very high defences, but only 4HP.

It also drops either a pair of Gold Shoes or 1500 Bira. The shoes are more valuable, in both senses, so we'll apply 2 drops of Slippy Oil and steal those.

Apparently I missed it before, but back on Gren this fish boy dropped a pair of Lucky Studs. That saves time, since we don't have to go back to Gren.

We, uh, we can't really use any of these things just yet though. They're all part of an equipment set but we're missing the last piece and can't get it yet.

So, we'll just go back to Razen to find Grenadine.

Gonna warp on over to the cave near Macaroon and walk back to Barabbas.

Well, why dint'cha say so?! The only way you could have that is

Anyway, come on through.

It bugs me a little bit more than it should that Pizza is on this side of Barabbas. It doesn't actually matter at all, but still.

Demi-Glace is a French sauce made from meat stock. It's used either by itself or as a base for other sauces.

And the best way to do that is to get Grenadine to make you his apprentice!

You got that right.
Look, not to change the subject or anything, but do you folks ever want to draw a picture way up in the sky?
Yes.
Yeah? Well, here, why don't you bring me, oh, 99 bang berries, and I'll make you something special.

We have like 53 right now. Getting 99 is a lot easier than it sounds.

Anyway, yeah, there's a couple of pots here. They must've come here for a reason so let's say hi.

We've been searching all over for the right kind, and we just kind of wound up here.

(Anagama) And that's the mark of a bad craftsman. So we'd better get moving and dig up the best clay we can find!
(Delft) Already on it! Let's go!

I'm sure they'll be fine on their own. The pirates have all left after all.

Condemen Tower is obviously the big ol' tower on the map, so we'll head there last.

I, uh, I... have no idea what Shubleme is meant to be. Not even like Barabbas where it seemingly refers to something unfitting. It just... doesn't refer to anything. It reads like a botched translation of a French name, but that's all I've got.

As long as you're not headed south, you'll...
Wait, no... I think it was west. But, wait, that would put it near... Was it north? Nah, that wouldn't make any sense...
Hrm. Well, anyway! The point is, that place was THICK with dragons back in the day. Of course, they're all gone now.
But that's only because something even worse came in and scorched the poor little guys into a pile of dragon jerky!
So whatever you do, don't go there!

Aww, all the dragons are dead? I'm sure Scargot's still gonna be around though, right? He's clearly gotta be the boss fight of that particular dungeon...

Anyway, Soy's just over here too.

Those guys got banished from Condimen Tower--I mean, their grandfolks did--for giving away out technological secrets.
That's the Code of the Beard for ya. Ya screw up once, and you're banished, and so are your kids and your grandkids and so on.
I hear those guys on Cassia are pretty solid mechanics, too, but once you're banished, you're banished for good!

Sambal is a Malaysian hot sauce that's made from a mixture of chili peppers, spices, herbs and various other things which can include things like shrimp paste, garlic or even lime juice.

Yes.
You know what you gotta do if you wanna see Grenadine?
You gotta go to Capsicum Caverns and bring back the treasure you find there.

But we were just told not to go to Capsicum Caverns!

We're definitely going there at some point then...

He's a stubborn old dwarf, but he's the best engineer this solar system's ever seen.
In fact, I wager if he wanted to, he could make a ship that could fly right into the hear of the sun!

Yeah but like... why would he? Not just motive, there's no reason to do that.

He's freakishly obsessed about it! He won't let anyone in to see him until he gets his mitts on... whatever it is.

Mornay is a white sauce that has cheese added. Usually gruyere, but mornay made with cheddar is common for mac and cheese.

Not a one of 'em came back, of course.

The buildings on the edges are both empty, so we'll just check out the store next.

Most notable is that we can still only buy the least useful healing items and Wakey Tails. We can buy Bang Berries if we really wanted them (we'll get enough for free). This store also notably sells five of the elemental attack items, which is something at least.

...I, uh, I presume they're okay for what they are but I've never really used them. Might stock up on some later to properly try out though.

Oh yeah and we can buy Antennas here, so that one from the Monocorn was just an early freebie.

Allemande's a French finished sauce made by thickening a veal veloute with a mixture of egg yolks and heavy cream.

If you wanna see Grenadine, you'll have to bring him something to get his mind off the treasure in the Capsicum Caverns!

A little bit up the road, that's Condimen Tower, home of the finest technologies this galaxy's ever seen!
And the thing is, it's kinda off-limits
You know how it is: we got a lot of secret gadgets there, and we'd like 'em to stay secret.

Hmm, so Creme's not letting us go into Condimen Tower right now huh? In that case, there's only one thing for it.

We go to Capsicum Caverns, beat up a dragon and get whatever the secret treasure is!

Ahhh... I told 'em not to!! I told 'em! They're gonna be scorched and eaten fer sure!!

And I guess we're gonna rescue two more potfolk while we're at it? Maybe.

So, part of the map in the Capsicum Caverns is burned. Mostly because depicting what goes on in some areas on a 2d plane is a bit trickier than normal, so it's a good thing this is a fire-y area.

...Yep, that sure is a dragon skeleton alright. It's even partially buried, because it's been dead that long!

Garum is a fermented fish sauce that was used in Ancient Greece, Rome and Byzantium. Also looks incredibly gross.

Yahhhh!!! It's coming!! It's coming!! Save us all! Save me, at least!

I have no idea what he was on about, there's nothing here?

Well, okay, other than random encounters I guess. Oh and there's a bit of a gimmick in the Capsicum Caverns. Enemies sometimes are automatically inflicted with Scorch. This only affects enemies, mind, so it makes some fights way easier.

Most things here still aren't really worth talking much about, so I'll just gloss over stuff like the Brawliflower (it punches you and drops Sugarstars) and instead focus on the interesting enemies.

Which are all in the second half of the dungeon.

Hey look, there's lots of dragon skeletons and bones lying around here! Hopefully Scargot's still fine and we get a rad fight against a dragon!

We're pretty close to the burned area of the map, but it looks like we've got two dead-ends to check out first. Let's start with the one over to the right here, then.

There's two chests in this room, and the 7 bang berries one is the better one.

The other chest has 1500 bira in it. Money isn't super common, but by the time we'll be done here, 1500 is nothing so it's less important overall.

The dead end up north ALSO has two chests in it! There's a pair of shoes we could buy at Macaroon if we wanted (I bought zero pairs because they're not very good) and also 14 more bang berries.

...Why yes, we will have 99 before we leave how did you guess.

Garbanzo isn't a sauce. It's just a different name for a chickpea.

He's in the burnt part of the map, yes.

And I'm warning you.
Even thought wo different pots waltz right through here like it weren't nothin...
you'd better turn back if you know what's good for you.

Eh, we'll be fine. The path here is super linear anyway, so it's not like we're in trouble even without our map.

Oh, that's inconvenient.

Yeah, just outta nowhere a random Enigma comes walking up to us.

Is this is? Is this what that dwarf was so afraid of?

I guess this is kind of a mini-boss but I already feel sorry for this guy too.

See, Dab Hasnel was a boss fight in Magical Vacation. In fact, the most noteworthy thing about them is that while you fight one as a boss fight, another one went and got absolutely destroyed by... Miss Madeleine. We've just been hearing that she's cool and strong, but that's a reputation that was definitely earned.

Anway, here Dab Hasnel is really not at all a threat. Sugar in the daytime can do 2400ish damage with a single cast of Celestial Ray, without being buffed.

But speaking of buffs...

Mokka and Pico have equipment that give them permanent buffs. With that, Aura and timed hits they can match Sugar. If they can hit a weakness, it becomes more than even she can keep up with! :v:

Dab Hasnel is at least hardy enough to have enough HP (8000) to last a round with all this punishment.

That means he can pretend to be threatening and bust out the 3rd tier Dark spell. They're using the backrow variant, which is why it's 3 randomly targeting orbs. That it drains back a tiny amount of the damage dealt is kinda cute I guess. Good for it.

It didn't help it at all, though.

Dab Hasnel's roughly the halfway point of the dungeon, but we'll be spending a lot more time in the second half just because there's more stuff to do there. So, we'll take a quick break before climbing down... this wooden... ladder.

This seems like a bad idea all of a sudden.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I didn't know you could find Permafrosts outside Dragon Road, those must be hella rare :stare:

The enemies here sometimes being scorched is such a quirky thing, like so many other things in this game.

As someone who hasn't played Magical Vacation, Madeleine does sound like she's a competent wizard.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 14, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
She sounds at least as half as competent as Sugar right now.

Said competence of Sugar might be inflated by the relative incompetence of the other students however.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

EponymousMrYar posted:

She sounds at least as half as competent as Sugar right now.

Said competence of Sugar might be inflated by the relative incompetence of the other students however.

Hey now, Lassi, Chai, and Mokka have all be doing just fine. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lassi's still on the hook for starting this whole mess :colbert:

Chai and Mokka are good though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So as we delve deeper into the Capsicum Caverns, we find Delph all alone.

Yo, pot guy! Are you all right? What happened to your friend?
Brrr...
It's all right, little guy... We took care of that enigma. It won't hurt you.
Brrr... No, I'm not worried... Not about the enigma... Brrr...
What, are you trying to tell me there's something even worse in here?
I... wouldn't go in there... i-if I were you...

Yeah, but Delph isn't us so we'll head on in and find the most vital random enemy in the cave.

The Sarcophaghoul is a gimmicky Earth elemental enemy, because of course it is. It has ~500HP and Very Very High spell resistance. As in takes single digit damage from spells. As in capping out at 3 if we're lucky.

So we'll just hit it with physicals then. 2 normally is enough, or 1 if it crits! More important is that if we throw 2 Slippy Oils at one we get the Cashwad Cloak. A useful piece of armor in that it's the final piece of a vital set for all boss fights from hereon in. And also a useful piece of armor in that we'll get many duplicates of it before we're done and sell the lot for Mad Bank.

The Cashwad Cloak, along with the various pieces of equipment we picked up last time, is part of an item set with a useful set bonus. It does have a bit of a stat boost as well, of course:

• Pyramid Hat: +1 IQ;
  • Pearls: +1 Power; +1 IQ;
  • Cashwad Cloak: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit;
  • Gold Shoes: +1 Agility
  • Lucky Stud: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: +30% Bira; +9 Power; +2 IQ; +9 Defense; +4 Spirit; +5 Agility

The stat boosts aren't super-great overall, and imply that we should probably give this to Mokka honestly. Personally, I'm gonna sub it onto Lassi whenever we're about to fight a boss (and she doesn't need anything else). The money bonus is nice for regular enemies, in the "every little helps" sense, but it's not as pronounced. Remember, Mudflap was a boss and he gave up 8k on his own. That number's only gonna increase.

Anyway our enigma fight for today is a bunch of Dab Hasnel and Pooka, I see. That's one way to make them threatening!

(Dejour) It's c-coming!

Heat limits reached!! Surface temperature is 1000... 1200 degress.
Rapidly approaching! Danger!! Danger!!
Touching it means instant death! Instant death! Instant, I say!

Well, yes and no...

Let's jet!

Sure, but first let's just try and check out this big flaming ball of death.

It's too dangerous to approach! Let's go back.

Okay, fine, so we can't quite get to the giant flame-y sphere at the moment. Guess we'll backtrack...

No, I don't think so... Look... They're trapped here, too...

Here it comes!

I get the feeling we can't test our luck with the instant death device yet, unfortunately...

Huh!?
Wha--!? Where in...?
Where'd you just roll in from?

Hey, he's right! Look! There's a hole in the wall!
Lucky us! Let's get out of here!

Sniff, sniff, sniff... I smell clay...
Sniff, sniff, sniff... Really good clay!

And so Anagama runs off. They'll probably be okay with the high temperatures on account of being a pot and all.

We'll follow in a bit. First, our map in this area is right and proper useless. Part ofit has straight up burned off even! We'll go through the door that's due north of the entrance that Anagama made for us.

There's a fair bit of treasure to be found in this part of the cavern and most of it is Bang Berries, honestly. That this one isn't is incredibly nice of it.

If we just follow the path off to the west now, we'll come to another entrance and...

What a surprise. It lets us get 16 bang berries!

Further west, the path branches to the north and south. Progress is clearly north, so we'll go there afterwards.

Inside is a small room with a couple treasure chests of its own. Another 2400 bira is nice, and the other chest gives up 12 more bang berries. Just gonna double back and head north then!

Noteworthy is that throughout this whole general area, there are several of these flaming spheres. They do move around randomly, but are slow enough to avoid.

Although you don't really need to, because they only have a hit box at the centre one tile of their front. So, yes, you can run through the giant flaming death ball.

Which, yes, it turns out is indeed a ball of death. If Sugar hits the one square that has a proper hit box, we get a game over. Immediately. No saving throw. Well, we were warned...

Speaking of death, there's also these skeleton dudes hanging out around here. They mostly use Dark magic and are noteworthy for having a Calcium pun name, but also dropping Shadow Bombs. Dark elemental attack item, and a bomb that we can't buy at Macaroon!

Anyway, further north we finally come to an area that's on our map again. A big ol' open area with a bunch of treasure chests in it for good measure.

In the bottom right, there's 3 alone! We'll gladly take the putty pea, but...

The rest is more bang berries. That we can't take, because we got 99 as of the last chest.

There's a few other chests in the area, but they all have bang berries. So, we can't do anything with any of 'em. There IS a path to the east but that just loops around and has absolutely nothing for us in it.

So if we go to the north wall, around the centre there's a doorway that leads deeper into the cavern...

I feel a lot of fire energy nearby.
What a gentle light...
I detect nothing dangerous about it.
I wonder if that scary thing can't come in here?

Well, this is definitely a giant dragon alright. Pretty sure we just found the remains of Scargot, unfortunately.

There's a door to the north, so let's keep on keepin' on...

Is what we might want to do, but we're not getting anywhere without checking out the Fire starsign in that dragon mouth.

Sugar, what're you going to do with that!?

Use it to get to Grenadine? Pretty sure this strange gummy is the mysterious treasure in these here caverns...

It's a monster made of fire!
Quick! Run! Thataway!

This just throws us into a small linear corridor, so we'll follow it along to the end where...

We can find Anagama again! Delph never came this far in, so it makes sense they're still missing here.

What are you doing?! It's dangerous here!

I-it's here...! We're in trouble, Sugar!!
Calamity! Catastrophe!!
I read the surface temperature at 2,000 degrees!
Ahh, ahh... So hot...

The flaming ball of instadeath is blocking the entrance so we can't just leave here. Nowhere else to go now either...

...But there ARE those two pools of water here.

Let's see what Sorbet can do about this, then!

Well, I guess that solved the problem...? Technically?

What? I put it out.
Bah! You almost drowned us is what you did! Watch it next time.
Yeah! Think about what you're doing before you act!

Huh. It crumbled.
Well, we're safe anyway.
Now that THAT's over, maybe you two should think about swimming lessons.

Do you think they washed away?

I dunno, but they're nowhere around here that's for sure.

We're even in a small area sequestered away off the known map. Kinda. It's weird, because that door you can barely see here leads to an area that's mapped but this spot isn't.

Also we found Anagama. Maybe we should stop 'em from sinking.

I have to get this clay to Terra Cotta as quickly as possible.

If we follow Anagama from here, we're on a straight shot to... a frayed rope. Welp, nowhere else to go!

I can't believe you guys actually made it out of there!
You guys deserve, like, a reward or somethin' for being the gutsiest pack of brats I ever seen!

If we really needed more Bang Berries, somehow, then Garbanzo would give us one (1) as a reward for managing to avoid drowning. Yeah, good thing we don't need it.

Added bonus, we're officially done here so we can warp on out. Gonna go back to Macaroon right quick like then!

Let's get on the job then!
Yes.

You shouldn't have any problems using it, as I've made sure it's not affiliated with any specific type of magic, understand?

The Splode Book is our second of five four unaligned spell books. Much like the Sky Book from befre, it's an infinite use item that teaches folks a spell.

Sadly, High Art isn't as good as Celestial Swap in my opinion. It's 30MP for non-elemental damage, which means it does have a use at least. Folks can only know 1 unaligned spell, though, so we gotta make a bit of a decision here about who should have which. Well, maybe. Doesn't matter that much or anything, though.

Also, uh, the +30% Bira set? Every part of it sells for several thousand. Cashwad Cloaks sell for the most, so we'll just get rid of all these spares for more than enough money to pick up some good stuff from Bena Rikashi at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are we going to use that fireworks spell to distract the treasure-loving dwarf? Look, man! Sky treasures!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
So I was playing Smash Ultimate's Adventure Mode, and look what I found.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

DanielCross posted:

I also found Mokka randomly on the Smash Board, so I guess everyone really is here!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

GDI, I came across that Magical Vacations Protagonists fight last night and took a screenshot with the intent to post it, and completely forgot to.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

DanielCross posted:

The buttons on those pants are very large and very useless :stare:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh man, how did I just see this now?

I played until the end of the game but I honestly can't remember what happens after a certain point. But it's definitely one of the best bargain bin purchases I've ever made. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Welcome back, new money one-percenters!

Today we're going to go shopping at Bena Rikashi for some of the very expensive pieces of equipment we can get. We'll buy the Falcon Coat for Lassi, since it has a much better added effect than the Aroma Coat (which is for Chai). +8 Defense, +9 Spirit and +2 Spirit alongside immunity to Dizzy and Stone? That's pretty dang fantastic!

Since we can also afford a bit more, we'll grab two Star Rings as well. As far as straightforward rings go, they're the third best with a whopping +11 IQ. They'll see a decent amount of use compared to the ones that outrank it for IQ boosts, since we don't have more specialised arm gear for folks that aren't Pico yet. The two we've got here will go to Sugar and, uh.. Mokka, sure why not. Give him a good IQ boost to go with Auto-Strong.

Anyway, back to Razen!

That's a real shame, 'cause he just took off for a little stroll. Had to stretch the ol' legs, y'know?
Anyway, there's a festival goin' on up in Paella, so if you wanna kill a little time, go check it out.

Sounds like a plan to me! We'll just warp on over to Neumann, since that's the closest spot to Paella...

And there's a very localised star shower in the area! Oh boy!

You're just in time for the Starfall Festival. It comes around only once every 200 years.
Take your time looking around, and enjoy yourselves!

There's no one new in the area (unless you count swapping Shoron out for Rogan Josh), but we'll still take our time and enjoy the festival!

No one has ever matched his craftsmanship.

That poor officer... He is returning to Cassia without knowing what remains to be missed by him.

When I was born, for example, I received a gummy frog. To tell you the truth, it was a little slimy. And a lot gross.

Elder Kettle's very pleased.

Hip!
Hip!
Hurray!

I don't know which night, I just know it's supposed to be night.

But which night!? Maybe only Terra Cotta knows...

Well, in that case we'll take a quick trip to the inn and sleep until evening...

Oh! Really?! All right! We'll get everything ready!

Thanks, Kettle! I suppose it's time for you to lead the ceremony now.
Mm...

Fall to our village.
Bring us new life...

As your children
Will be born here,
So they will be
Treasured here.
We will give them all
Hope and joy.
Let them not want.
Let them not worry.
Falling star,
Falling star,
Bring us new life.
Rejoice in delight.

(Glaze) Let all welcome the new life!

Three new pots brought to life, huh? Doesn't seem like many especially when you remember that this is only doable every 200 years... but they do explicitly have to be crafted and all, so 3 might be a lot at once for all we know.

Turns out, they're not edible at all. But they never really teach you that in school, do they?

I'm starting to think our souls really are made of stars!
Like maybe a star fell and became me when I was still in my mother's belly!

Whoa! Hey! I mean "awesome." Yeah, the stars are totally hot and stuff.
...I must be really tired.

Please take this in thanks!

Huh, that's a quick way to get the third book and the one important alternative to Celestial Swap.

...Though you wouldn't think it from the description. Comet Shower isn't great for healing, but you don't use it for that. It does something fairly unique that we'll get to when we cast this sometime in the future.

I know that we owe it all to you and you friends, Sugar. I am deeply grateful.
If you were a pot, I bet you would have more than a few admirers by now...

But if you want something to feel proud about, take a peek at this! It's a newborn potling. Look at the color! That glaze!
Yeah, and if it weren't for you, this little guy wouldn't be here today. So, be proud.
Ah... I'm so glad I'm a sculptor.

"Hello. I am a newborn pot."
Ah, good. It's all working out nicely. Everything's so exciting.

Ahem! I am, for the time being, pot 1549 (inspected by #43)! I think I'm probably meant for collecting rainwater...
Anyway, it's nice to meet you! Hey, really, it's nice to meet anybody!

Don't ask me how I know that. I can't explain how these things work! I mean, I just got here!

Most of the other people around town don't have updated dialogue, but Rogan Josh does.

And, uh, isn't someone missing?

Mokka's hiding off in the corner for some reason.

This journey has been hard on all of us...
You may think it strange for me to say so all of a sudden...
But... I...

Always...
Always...
and forever...

Let's go get some! Come on!

Sugarstars?! Sign me up!

Worth noting that this scene is the only real time that the main character's gender makes a difference. What if instead of Sugar, we had some Spice...?

quote:

Under this romantic, star-filled sky, I would press my oxygen-intake port against her delicate speech generator.
Beep!

...Uh, isn't someone missing?

Lassi's hiding off in the corner for some reason.

You always do! Spice, you always know how to find me!
Just like now. I believed... I believed you would find me again today, Spice.

We should head over and get some!

Sugarstars?! Sign me up!

You... Under this star-filled sky! You found me!

Awww! Spice disappeared! Boo!

So that's it. That's the one thing that really changes based on the main character's gender.

Please take some.

Kettle gives us 3 Sugarstars which is pretty okay, but not super amazing or anything.

Mokka is still hanging out in the corner, away from everyone else.

I don't want anything to change between us on this trip.

Rogan Josh is the only other person with updated dialogue right now, though. He also happens to be important!

It was told to me by Elder Kettle.
...It could be fate...
Inside is where we should be speaking. Gather everyone and come in.

The fire... millennium... gummy?

Well, the item description says it took that long to make it, but I don't think this is like a Century Egg thing.

No.
Although it may not be known to you, what you hold is a millennium gummy. There are those who say a millennium

Once, they were sought after by wizards and scientists alike.
If this were shown to Grenadine, even that stubborn old dwarf might have his mind changed about helping you.
Macaroon should be your next destination. The home of the dwarves is where you will find Grenadine, the legendary engineer.
His help must be sought if you are to make your way to the light planet.

We've been spending a while now trying to get to see this Grenadine fella. Hopefully now this'll finally change.

Mightn't hurt to know a bit more about him first though, of course.

Yes.
Grenadine is the finest engineer in the cosmos. His knowledge is surpassed by none.
He has looked into the skies for ages, and he has concluded the following:
the universe that we experience is not a physical object in nature.
...I don't get it.

This cosmic soul is itself made of the combined souls of all the beings in the universe.

It is the idea of a mad genius, and one that I can barely grasp myself.
Once he made this discovery, he became deeply engrossed in a dark and ancient text.
The Book of the Darned!?
Correct. In his theory, life itself

More important than life? Whoa...
He knows that he is fated to die, as are we all. He accepts this, and does not try to escape it.
M-Miss Madeleine too!?
She has read the Book of the Darned!?

That book is cursed... If she has read it, she too will die.
There's gotta be something we can do! Come on, tell us how we can help!
Grenadine will aid you.

Darn it, Mokka.

Grenadine is the head engineer of the dwarves of Macaroon, the most skilled engineer in all the universe.

Before we worry about trying to go to Grenadine... again... we should see what everyone else thinks about this too.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I just want to go to sleep.

Grenadine's gonna do what for us now? Fix the rocket or somethin'?

This is all a bit too hard for me! Sugar, you figure it out!

Miss Madeleine...

Lassi raises a good point here, and Rogan Josh doesn't even let us leave without sleeping. The inn rest is free, which means only one thing...

We've got a night time scene!

Is that true?
It's not like I want to... It's just, my family's not rich. They can't afford to keep paying for tuition.

So I have to drop out. When you all go back to school, my desk will be empty.
Why didn't you say anything? Aren't friends supposed to be able to talk about stuff like that?
I'm sorry... It's really hard on me, and I'm not really comfortable talking about it.
Besides, Pico, I know how worked up you get about things like this. I don't want to make a big deal out of it.

Haha!
Well, I...
What?
I want to find an answer. I don't like not knowing.

Next morning...

It seems he is returning to his home world.

Now that the Starfall Festival is over, everyone in Paella has updated dialogue. We're not gonna be talking to everyone around town though.

Well, I got a bit nervous at the thought of being bonked by a falling star, so I chose to stay inside until it was over.

Travelling Putty being the one that told us about the festival and then purposefully missing it is kinda great, not gonna lie. We're not gonna stick around here any longer though; we'll warp on over to Macaroon...

I mean, he is, yeah, but where does he get off thinking that?!
I just wanna know why he won't take me on as his apprentice.
I guess I'm so surly because, deep down inside, I just feel bad about myself...

But you kids go in, and BAM! You grab it, just like that? That is just CRAZY!

Most Dwarves around here don't have anything new to say, but Shubleme is the one who comments explicitly about a millennium gummy...?

Yeah, he's gonna be real giddy to see that, and believe me, there's nothing more disturbin' than a giddy dwarf.
Ah, well. Better not keep 'im waitin'. Go on in.

So Grenadine's back, then. Maybe then we can finally get into the tower since we have this here Fire Gummy!

Anyway, he says to me, he says, "Any kids come by with a millennium gummy, you let 'em through!" So, eh... is that you guys?
Yes.

Oh, no, no... You don't need to show me. You wouldn't lie to me, would you? Nah, go right on in, kids.

Y'know, Condimen Tower looks really kinda cool, and since it took so long to finally get here it feels like we've made some real progress.

It took us years to develop all the amazing technologies you see around you here.
That's the reason for the Code of the Beard: if you ever betray our secrets, you are banished from these halls forever!

Remoulade is a French sauce that's similar mayonaisse based and sometimes more curry flavored, with pickles or piccalilli.

Only the most talented of dwarves ever get to work here.

Ravigote is a... French sauce. Huh. It's made in a similar way to mayonnaise, but with dijon mustard instead of eggs. Mostly served with meat or fish.

Also, uh, the tower is packed with dwarves - 3 on each of the first five floors.

And there IS an elevator here, but... it doesn't take you up. It's only for coming back down to the first floor. Welp, let's get walking then:

Mousseline is a type of hollandaise sauce that has added whipped cream folded in. It's alternativly known as chantilly, by the way.

So, I take it you're here to have your ship rebuilt, huh?

Bordelaise is yet another French sauce. It's named after Bordeaux, and naturally then it's made with dry, red wine. Traditionally, it's specifically a Bordeaux wine for good measure.

Listen... Listen, but not with your ears! Listen with your heart, I say!
Because that's the beating of Grenadine's heart, and it's his soul doing the hammering! ...Poetic, innit?

Everything I've got's worn to bits... My ax, my pick, even my beard comb!
I dunno why I complain about it, though. It's just work, am I right?

Chasseur is a type of brown sauce that has added mushrooms and/or shallots. I'm sure you're very surprised that it is also French.

I'm gonna have to work a hundred times harder just to get all my work done!
Sigh... I dunno why I complain about it, though. It's just work, am I right?

Moutarde is just mustard. It's just straight up the French word for it.

I know it's filthy, but I have to let my nose run and get all crusty on my beard.
Sigh... I dunno why I complain about it, though. It's just work, am I right?

We haven't met Bearnaise before, but we have spoken to a variant of it already.

We left it behind so that we could fulfill a dream.
Not really MY dream, exactly... but it was someone's dream, that's for sure.
I don't know what it was, but it was important enough for Grenadine to risk his life for. So it sounds pretty big.

So, what, he's telling me the whole universe is just a big, stinky thing that makes you cry all the time?
You know, 80 years back, I decided I'd run off and work for this "great thinker," but now, I kinda regret that decision.

Tyrolean sauce is, for once, not French but rather Italian. It's made with white wine vinegar, lemon juice and chives for flavoring. Since it's recommended to go with asparagus, flavor is something it sure needs.

You know our stamp of quality! Hailing from Condimen Tower, we're the jack-of-all-rebuilders!

Newburg is a seafood dish made with lobster, cognac and Cayenne peppers. Seems a bit out of place in the tower of condiments...

Fortunately, it still fits it turns out:

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Sauce Newberg is a combination of lobster butter, cream, and egg yolks flavored with onions and either sherry or Madeira! It's just that anything served in it immediately becomes 'seafood Newberg' so it can be a little hard to find out that Newberg Sauce is also a thing.

I hear Grenadine's been working nonstop, day and night, trying to find the answer to "the Riddle of the Beard"...
It's so touching, seeing him get all fired up about this.

Smitane is a brown sauce made with sauteed onions, dry white wine and sour cream. Sometimes maybe a little lemon juice too.

Foyot sauce is a variation of bearnaise that has more of a meaty glaze. It's generally served with grilled steak, but really works with anything grilled.

One day, a dwarf woke up with a full head o' hair, growin' straight out of his chin! Guy must have been terrified, I tell ya.
And can you imagine how much the other dwarves must have teased him? I mean, he alone, of all the dwarves, had a beard!
But then, one by one, each dwarf woke up to find that he, too, had a full beard of his own! Who's laughing now, right?
And so it goes, spreading from dwarf to dwarf and planet to planet, even off to dwarves we ain't seen for generations!
And now, wherever you go, dwarves got beards.
Some folks say it's the curse for teasing that first beardy dwarf, but me, I love my beard.

Cardinal sauce is a type of bechamel sauce, made with fish stock and truffles. It's served pretty much exclusively with seafood, as you might expect.

Aurore is French for "sunrise." The sauce is named that way, because of its pinkish-red color. It's color comes from tomato puree added to a veloute sauce with some butter.

Folks say a lot of things about Grenadine, and you'd do well not to pay too much attention to 'em.
Because, honestly, about 90 percent of what they say about Grenadine is nothin' but slag.

Creme Anglaise is a type of custard. It's name is French for "English Cream" as a bit of a jab at how many English desserts include custard.

I had no idea he'd be so strange, though... I mean, have you talked to him?

We haven't, but Anglaise is the third dwarf on the fifth floor! The next floor, then, brings us to...

Grenadine is a deep red colored syrup. It's used as an ingredient in cocktails, for both its sweet/tart flavoring and also to give a colored tint.

You know, I'd heard about some dwarves living out on Cassia. They were banished there, oh, six generations back, I'd say.
I figure that's where they got it. Well then...
Now that you're here, I don't have much idea of where to start. Hrm.
Oh, right, right. I've got it now.

Well, let's see... What can I do to lend you a hand...
That millennium gummy you have there is unique. Only one exists on each of the planets.

Craaken, eh? That's a name we've seen... all of once before, and we still have no context at all for who they are.

Fair warning: this is a long story. You sure you wanna listen to it?
Yes.
A long time ago, there was

And he predicted the death of

Craaken said further that when that happened, all creatures in this world would die and everything would be born anew.
He said the light planet held the secret

That would be the rocky stage you found at the base of the World Seam.
But it won't even budge unless you exert some considerable magic.
So isn't there an easier way to get there, you ask? Well, guess what? There sure is.
What I'm going to tell you has to do with how the whole solar system is put together, you understand?

Dang, that's some heavy shade thrown at a lot of elements here. Ancient, Beast, Beauty, Blade, Bug, Love, Poison, Sound, Stone, Thunder? Heck, even Light and Dark? They're either impure elements or not important pure elements.

Those first 10 are all the elements that were in Vacation but not this one, by the by. Lots of playable characters in that, yes.

If you want to go to the light planet, you have to transmute the elements of each planet and change their phase.

Craaken called that process "etherealization."
I found a book that Craaken had left behind.

You might recall that a certain book's full title is The Book of the Darned: Death and Rebirth of a Sun.

It contained his notes on the etheralization device, but it didn't contain any detailed schematics.
Ah, I've wanted to make that thing for a long time, but nobody around here gets why I'm so obsessed with it.

For that matter, I haven't found any, er, volunteers for etherealization.
So, if you want to go to Nova, you'll need to gather the millennium gummies and bring them here to me. It's the only way.

Umm... okay. So, we go to Cassia first to check out... a different wizard middle school? Maybe a wizard high school?

Fortunately, for those with short attention spans (coughMokkacough), Grendine does also have a tl;dr version.

Bring the others to me, and I'll outfit your ship for the flight of a lifetime!

Alright, so now we know our major goal for helping us get to Nova. Return to every other planet and find the delicious macguffins millennium gummies! It sounds like something we could in theory do in any order, but we've got direction for Cassia specifically. Sounds like a good place to start!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 19, 2018

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Sugar's no idiot, she's just too busy being a space heroine to start a romance. That can wait until Miss Madeline is rescued, and not a minute before.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Sauce Newberg is a combination of lobster butter, cream, and egg yolks flavored with onions and either sherry or Madeira! It's just that anything served in it immediately becomes 'seafood Newberg' so it can be a little hard to find out that Newberg Sauce is also a thing.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I think I used Comet Shower and High Art once, wasn't impressed, and never again, so I'm curious about what it's other use is.

Now the next unaligned spell I used a lot and debated between it and Celestial Swap.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Comet Shower as a healing spell is legitimately complete garbage and is probably competing with the many, many multiplayer only frogs that heal arbitrary single-to-middling-double digit HP for worst way to heal. If you don't know that there's another thing it sometimes does, then I can understand not using it ever again after a first try.

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Oh, nice. Went and edited this in to the update.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Are you ready for our... third... trip to Cassia? It's clearly the most popular planet in the known universe!

Just gonna go straight on over to Pescato where Beignet's back hanging out.

Welcome! This town is peaceful again thanks to you and your friends!
Ahem... However... I've heard reports that someone is after the hidden treasure on the eastern island.
It appears the Space Police have taken up positions on the other side of the sea.
I can only hope they won't cause trouble for the locals.

Hmm, the police are here again? And they're on a part of Cassia we've never been to before? That sounds like a clue to me!

After all, we do have our reputation to look after. Let's show those grunts what we can do!
I like the way you think. You show promise.

Hm?

Seems like we've just interrupted something. We haven't seen Caldarroste since, uh... our first trip to Cassia. Wow, it's been a while.

Lord Persimmon meanwhile seems a bit apprehensive around us, but since we last saw him kidnapping Farina Semolina that's incredibly sensible!

We really shouldn't, since last time you sold us out to try and become a pirate...

Yes.

The Space Police went racing out there after they heard the pirates had hidden some plunder there.
Well, that's not quite the whole story, though, is it? See, the cops are going out there to take the treasure themselves.
We can't let that happen! That treasure belongs to Cassia!
So how about it? What say we join forces and get that treasure back?
No.
I don't know what your deal is, my friend, but if you're thinking you can beat me to the punch, you can forget it.
I may not look like it, but I'm a hardcore thug. Swashbuckler style. ICE COLD.

Aww, dang. "Swashbuckler style?" Think we might be outmatched on this one, then!

Yes.
Right on! Now that we have a deal, let's set sail.
Yes.
All aboard!
You, there! Are you preparing to sail? I'm coming with you. I am the grand disciple of His Eliteness, Master Chard!

Oh... Um... Yeah! Sure. Hop aboard!
How long will it take to get there on a boat like... this?
Well, if we all take turns rowing, it'll take a couple of hours. Well, less than six hours. Probably.
Row? Did you fall on your head? SIX HOURS OF ROWING?!

I feel like this could go a lot faster if we had some kind of wind or water control... hmm, nah, maybe not.

Look, Lord Persimmon, it's not suspicious at all.
Hm?
Oh, don't you kids worry! Pay no mind to that crocodile! Let's be on our way!

We'll get on that in just a second. But first...

Lord Persimmon's a bit... distracted by innocuous crates. Pizza's hanging out here so we can set up a quick warp if we need it. And, hey, what's that?

More free rainbow shells for good measure!

Other than collecting a few more rainbow shells, there's nothing we can do right now other than follow Caldarroste north.

There's also a couple new enemies around, of course. They're all Water though, so Pico can't really hurt 'em much...

So, let's see what High Art does.

It's a bit awkward, because how you use this is straight up not explained very well. Ostensibly we need to trace the fuse leading to the cannon, but... that doesn't work. You rub the touchscreen back and forth along where the lit part of the fuse is to speed it up.

Damage doesn't seem impressive for 30MP, but this is against something that resists magic.

They look awfully suspicious to me. Filthy pirates! You're here to plunder all the treasure, aren't you!
EEEEEEEK! PIRATES?! WHERE?!

Dangit Caldarroste! :argh:

What did you sau?
Huh!?
(1) And what about you? Are you with them?
And what if I am? Haha!
Yes, Lord Persimmon ordered me to slip these kids past the Space Police to get the treaure!
So let us through, eh? Hahaha!
(2) Lord Persimmon? Did you expect me to know who that is, buddy?
(1) Oh, I've heard of him.

You tricked us! Ooooh, you filthy sewer otter!
Pfft! Are you gonna arrest somebody, or are you gonna sit on your duff all day and dip your space pastries in your coffee?

Y'know, in hindsight I don't think we should've trusted the pirate wannabe.

(3) Hey, wait! Stop right there! I don't care who you are or aren't, but you can't go in there. Hey!!!

Treasure?

(2) It's none of your beeswax, buttercup.
As far as we're concerned, you're just a bunch of gullible travelers that got conned by an otter.
So why don't you just do us all a favor and hop back onto that boat of yours and sail off into the sunset?

Those cops will never let us through. We'll have to find another route.

Sadly "beat 'em up and force our way through" isn't an option. We ARE heroes after all.

So, we'll just double back and head further south...

Stopping one screen south of where we docked, to find a new Mysterious Chest. A bit disappointing that this one is just a Putty Pea, but there's still a couple left on Cassia so they'll hopefully be better.

Oh and Parfait is here.

...Wait, hang on, what?

Gah! Who's that?
Whoa! Parfait?
Yep. The headmaster said you'd come, and, well, here you are.
The headmaster?

Ambergris is, uh... it's basically found in whale vomit and sometimes washes up on beaches. It gets used in making perfume. Whales create it to protect their insides from squid beaks.

Naming a school after it might just be the grossest and weirdest thing ever though.

Headmaster Sturgeon is actually the seventeenth headmaster. It's a very old school. Come on, follow me.

Ambergris Prep is just ahead.

Like, literally the next screen.

There's no one particular race or anything that's here. Not even really a specific naming theme for this school in isolation, either.

But back in the day, our school was number one.

What it's deal is might not be obvious yet, though.

We've got pictures of people like you in our textbooks.
It's so far away that most people have never been there or met anyone from there. Some people haven't heard of it!
Oh, hey, what am I thinking!
As long as you're here, how would you like to learn special Ambergris Prep magic? It was invented by one of our students!
Yes.
Well then, here you go!

All you have to do is read the brawly book to learn the spell.
And then, if you want to use the spell, you'll need this ball. Here you go!

Just keep the ball up in the air and then, after everyone touches it, spike it at the enemy!
Oh, and you can power up your ball to

Husks are drops from some enemies. We've got a couple already, but they're also usable as accessories and both are being used for that right now. That's more worthwhile than powering up my least favorite spell, in my opinion. I know some folks really like this spell, but I find it pretty annoying to use over and over again!

At least this is the last unaligned spell. There is five in total, but the last one is related to multiplayer stuff, so we won't get it.

Rogan Josh...
Twigadamus...
Biscotti...
Biek Fowler...
Yeah, you might have heard of 'em.

We've met three of them, even! Except I'm pretty sure Corduroy is lying to us here with that list of alleged alumni...

There's an item store just here, so we'll duck in for a second.

Most of the copies of the Book of the Darned were burned.

Wilson has a very weird concept of "cheap."

She sells the usual set of regular items, and the Light/Dark bombs too. We'll buy 3 Arrays (they're just better Antennae), 2 Platinum Rings and and then be outta money. We need to sell some stuff to get that much, even.

Sadly, Justine is not related to cheese in any meaningful way. Having to drop the spiny mole theme to make it clear that she fits in with Ambergris' mostly implied theme instead.

...Y'know, before I forget let's do one last thing before we enter the school proper.

Just gonna step off to the side to use Comet Shower.

As a bit of a trend with the unaligned spells, I don't really like Comet Shower that much. As a healing spell, it's hot garbage for 50% of the user's MP. This IS the backrow version so it's not as effective, but still 30HP is... appalling.

To make matters worse, how much it heals is based on how many of those falling stars you successfully tap on the touch screen. So, if you miss all of 'em (which you probably will the first time)? You get nothing. You lose. Good day, sir!

But that's not why you use Comet Shower. No, sometimes, a treasure chest falls with the stars.

This gives one item out of a small list. It could be a Green Frog, a Sugarstar, a Wakey Tail, a Bang Berry (no thanks), a Chest or...

A piece of equipment that can only be obtained here. They're pretty good for what they are, since they're +12 Agility. Don't do anything else, though. Sorbet can have these right now.

So what about Brawly Ball then? It's 10MP more than High Art, but harder to use (if you can figure out how to use High Art at least) and just as useless if you botch the touchscreen gimmick.

You do have to tap on everyone in a randomised order, which can be annoying. Especially since you need to tap on the caster both at the beginning and then later at the end. The Power boost isn't a big deal for an added effect.

...Also Mokka learned his fourth tier spell. Sorbet still doesn't have her third. Every element's fourth tier spell is a bit special and casts a unique buff (except Dark's). Mokka's is Strong.

The difference between this and the Auto-Strong from his hat, is that the hat is basically a permanent* effect that functions like if the spell was single-target cast. The spell lasts for ~3 turns.

Anyway, how about that Magician Middle School?

Broth seems to be a weird outlier. Rather notably, everyone else here is a girl...

Craaken said so before he left us, so it must be true...SLURP!

Only 3 rooms in this school (that we can access), so we'll start with the one on the left.

Cha Cha and Broth being here also sorta stands out because Salamanders are supposed to be unable to cast magic. Chai is explicitly an exception and unusual for being able to do so, remember?

Anyway, let's check the room over on the right next.

Parfait's just hanging out here. I guess this is the library.

Speaking of, I have so much homework! Oh, the headmaster is waiting for you in the next room. You should go see him.

That sounds like as good an idea as any at this point.

You are Madeleine's students, aren't you? Well then, you're probably wondering why I called you here.

The millennium gummy?! So that IS the secret treasure!
And you want us to steal it?
Long ago, it was kept here. Technically, you're just returning it to its home.
The water millennium gummy is in the Holy Water Pyramid. There is one complication, though.

The Space Police will probably get it from them eventually.
I fear they will do anything to get that gummy.
Or rather, perhaps I should say they will do anything to keep any of you from getting ahold of it.
They don't want us getting to Nova.
Precisely. You're very clever. My foresight is something of a legend in this galaxy.

Mate, tag your spoilers, yeah?

Get real!
Oh, I'm getting QUITE real, my fiery little friend.
There is no doubt. The future is as clear to me as a glacial mountain stream.
And on Nova, I assure you that you will see Madeleine once again.
Seriously? Is she really there?!
Then what happens? Are we gonna be able to save her?

So, the answer to Lassi's question is... a solid "no." There's no point in being koi with that reason otherwise...

You can tell us! We're cool! If it's really fate, then we can't change it! I mean, that's the point, isn't it?
Besides, why would we want to change it if it's good?
Hah! I'm sorry, but I still won't tell you. A good fate is the one you're born with. Mark my words.
And it is as good as it will ever be from that moment.
Trying to change it is simply for fools who have not found harmony with fate.
Well, if you have any intention of fulfilling my request, you'd best hurry.

Parfait is not the most accomplished of wizards, so please give her a hand when you can. I appreciate it.

But... she's literally Perfect?

Ah well, we'll go back to the library then.

Miss Madeleine studied HERE?
Well, that's what the headmaster said. He said that it was back when he was young. Like 800 years ago or something.
Eight hundred years ago?!
She was obsessed with studying just one ancient tome. I think it was called...

And isn't this supposed to be a really important book?
Why would you just leave it hanging around?
This book belongs here. This is where it should be.

Why don't you just ask Headmaster Sturgeon about all that?
Madeleine could pretty much do whatever she wanted.
Well, we can't sit here and loaf all day, we need to get going!
The Holy Water Pyramid is on the other side of the plains to the north. Let's go!

Hmm, Parfait's left a book open on the table there...

Let's peek!

You shouldn't read that. Unless, of course, you want to be cursed until the end of your painful, miserable life.

Dangit Sorbet. It wasn't that long ago your plan was to read this book, now you're the one stopping us doing so? Alright, fine, we won't read the cursed book that might just be an engineering guide.

Instead, we'll just go visit a pyramid!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 24, 2018

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Magical Starsign's view on fate:

Fighting fate is hard, and tends to make things worse.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

Ambergris is, uh... it's basically found in whale vomit and sometimes washes up on beaches. It gets used in making perfume. Whales create it to protect their insides from squid beaks.

Naming a school after it might just be the grossest and weirdest thing ever though.

How about a dwarf named after it in R. A. Salvatore's books?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Base-level Brawly Ball is pretty lame (who is physically attacking in this game?) but the husk upgrades change the added effect and are really good (even if the last one comes a bit late).

Also drat those Meteor Boots are end-game equipment, I don't think other boots give more than +10 AGI :stare:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 21, 2018

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Well, this thread inspired me to go and buy a copy of my own; good thing I was able to get one cheap and in fairly good condition. Going for DARKNESS for my character, because I'm a sucker for dark magic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Found Mokka among the spirits in SSBU.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also the Police Stompy Feet attack isnt a goomba stomp

its a RIIIIDER KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Well, this thread inspired me to go and buy a copy of my own; good thing I was able to get one cheap and in fairly good condition. Going for DARKNESS for my character, because I'm a sucker for dark magic.

Dark Magic is pretty darn fun, you don't get that Light -> Dark weakness laser nuke but taking less Dark damage is nice and their level 4 magic in particular is hilarious from the back row.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I preferred light for the heal and the less random nature of it's spells.

But the Dark spells have better spell names.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Personally, I prefer Light because of the tactical nuke aspect for Big Numbers, but Dark isn't bad or anything. It has some neat spell names for sure, and its final spell is one that I'll actively go back for later once we start unlocking those. There's other non-spell related differences between the two, but the only one that hasn't come up yet doesn't matter until the actual endgame so that's a bit of a ways off yet.

But that said, happy 2019 folks! We'll return to our regularly scheduled updates on Monday (GMT; probably Sunday for most people reading this :v:).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So Parfait runs off towards where Justine was blocking progress before. We'll chase after her in a second, but first we'll take a bit of a detour...

Back to Razen where we need to beat up an Atomic Firebat or two. Just gonna use two Slippy Oils to get this done faster.

Because they drop Bat Husks. They're pretty okay accessories that have +2% MP Regen and +3 Agility. Alright, we're done here. Back to Cassia...

Where we'll look for these shelled things again. I just need a drop from one of these too...

Since they're Maimais and we want their husk as well. Despite being magically resistant, this gives +2% MP Regen and +3 Defense.

We'll take these back to Pickles, who'll take one of each and add them to our Scampi Ball updating it through the Bat Ball and straight to a Maimai Ball.

I skipped the Bat Ball wholesale, because this changes the added effect of Brawly Ball. Rather than being Power Up, the Bat Ball has Agility Up. At least the Maimai Ball is Defense Up, which is more useful. We can't upgrade it again for a long while now, though.

Anyway, let's follow Parfait to that pyramid now.

Over there? In that pyramid thing?
That's where it is. That flying saucer belongs to the Space Police.
They claim to be setting up a police lockdown zone to protect the gummy, but that's a huge lie.
They're actually attacking the gummy's guardians so tehy can take it for themselves.
Guardians?

They were mentioned before, but they were also an NPC race in Magical Vacation!

They're allegedly from the Plain of Water (as their name would imply :v: ) but they're mostly found on the Plain of Death. They speak their own language called Erimu, and have giant baby heads and also giant hands.

A bunch of Space Troopers wouldn't stand a chance against them.
Will the water people survive? The Space Police can be pretty tough when they're determined.
Hmm, well... they won't survive for long. That's why we've got to hurry and help.

The first thing we've got to do is find a way to move that ship. Just leave that to me. I'll slip in there and find a way!

Fortunately, the road towards the Holy Water Pyramid is very, very linear. So with that in mind, we'll take a moment to see if there's any interesting enemies around here...

Well, the floating fish can cast Celestial Swap. Mostly they use it to move Cassia for Aura, of course, but they also move it... through alignment to make it last less time for some reason. I dunno.

The Unihorn here is what the Monocorn is a palette swap of. You'd think the other way around, but Figurine battles are all palette swaps of other stuff. That's about it as far as this guy goes, though.

Well, that they drop Platinum Rings is kinda nice in theory. Not at this point, though. So we'll just sell any we get later.

Oh and Hangfin exists. It's appearance is the coolest thing about it, unfortunately, since it's just a generic Water monster otherwise. But look at it! Look at it!

Sorbet manages to get her third tier spell en route to the Pyramid as well. Absolute Zero is just a powerful upgrade to Hailstorm.

That's about it for new enemy stuff here, though. Hey look, we've made it to the only branch in the path here! We'll go left first...

Because that let's us get to a Mysterious Chest which has an armor upgrade for Sorbet. And as you'd expect from that, it's really good!

+5 Defense and +6 Spirit are good on their own, but since it's Sorbet's ailment immunity armor it's hard to argue against it even if its stats were bad. Immunity to Sick alone makes it worthwhile, but it also happens to grant immunity to Scorch for good measure.

From there, we'll head back to the branching path, follow it to the right and easily find Cassia's final Mysterious Chest.

It's another piece of armor, but this time for Mokka!

As a piece of armor, it is explicitly just a stat deficiency. Albeit not the one this implies, because it's -6 Agility. Everything else is left at its baseline; Max MP +80 sounds like a bad trade-off, but this IS Mokka and he has such a small MP pool that this nearly single-handedly triples it.

We'll be using it for a bit, then.

And that's right before we run into Caldarroste hiding in an alcove, too!

Pfft! I'll just have to work harder!

He doesn't really have much to say before running off, though.

If we follow him to the east...

We made it to the pyramid! Nice and quick.

(2) Abalon Demar?! THE Abalon Demar?
(1) Yeah, he's going to take out the guardians and get that gummy.
(2) Huh... Well, I guess we better get back to our posts.

Their posts just happen to be blocking the two doors on the ground floor and the middle of the stairs. For some reason.

As soon as we try to say "hi," they decide to attack us. Because the police are jerks!

So, Sergeants are a... they're a gimmick fight. You see those shields? They're not for show. They deflect either physical or magical attacks, depending on their position.

When lowered like this, they can only be hurt by magic. I'm sure this presents a problem for us. Somehow.

They have 1300HP each, so they don't really get to survive or very long. If they get turns, they mostly just change their shield's orientation.

Since the sarge decided to raise his shield, he's now only hurt by physical attacks. It's a bit more inconvenient, but by now he's weak enough for Sugar to finish him off with a swift kick.

Not a lot of money, so I didn't bother with the +30% set here. At least the EXP is pretty good!

Yep, that's the police farce all right. Looks like an officer-class saucer.
Shouldn't we stay out of sight?

Maybe, but we've got a millennium gummy to get to. Can't do that if we just hide and let the police win.

So we'll enter the pyramid which looks like a big ol' dungeon, but we only need to worry about half of it. Because, well, being a pyramid it's symmetrical. Right down to chest locations and everything.

Odd that we start on the second floor though...

That means that it ends up being incredibly straight-forward in practice, despite its appearance which is kind of a shame. The most interesting thing is that 3/4ths of the floors have this conspicuous giant hole in the middle of 'em.

There's really not much to the dungeon itself, 'cos of how simple it is. The whole symmetry thing becomes really apparent really fast...

So, let's talk about the enemy fights here. There's no Space Police random encounters this time around, and... there's no Water elemental ones either. The vast majority of things are Dark, with the only exceptions being Earth.

They're also super simple and most don't ever get turns. :v:

Even the incredibly resilient Sarcophaghoul 2 Bonebox is kinda easy to drop, once it gets within punching range.

The Dog Masters here at least have a unique Dark spell. It's pretty straight forward:

It just summons a pair of Mummy Dogs, which are not to be mistaken with Mummy Dogs. It's easy to remember, because Mummy Dogs are stronger than Mummy Dogs.

They still don't get turns, though.

Last and most important is the one Earth elemental enemy in here. The Monster Chest is a unique gimmick-y enemy that is very weak and has 120HP.

It gives a whopping 1 EXP, 350 Bira and a Very Important drop.

But, uh, there's a problem. If it takes a total of 140 damage or more...

It, uh... it turns into sand. And you get nothing. Not just no drop, but no money and no exp either. Which is ridiculous, because it's 1 EXP.

And yes this does mean if you miss it now and come back for it later, you can genuinely be too powerful to ever get its drop. Which does matter! Quite a lot, even!

...Fortunately, we're still at the point where Sorbet can slap it for a one-shot that gives us what we want.

Which isn't the money and it sure isn't 1 EXP. No, it's the Rock Robe which is something that we can only get as a drop from a Monster Chest.

It's an important armor upgrade, because it's for Mokka. +6 Defense and +5 Spirit isn't too shabby, but it grants Mokka his ailment immunities. And one of them is Sick.

And at some point along the way, Pico learns his fourth tier spell as well. As you probably guessed before, his unique buff is Fever.

Anyway, that's about it for fights here. For some reason, on the first floor there's a corridor filled with these rad armor designs that don't appear anywhere else. Nothing else comes outta 'em either. They just look cool.

Okay, I think I answered my own question there.

In the middle of the armor corridor, there's a door that leads to this area. It has mermaid statues instead and since we're on the first floor, it lets us see that there is something water themed about the area. We'll walk around to the side before entering the central chamber though.

There's three chests around the back. The other two have some money and 4 sugarstars, but the Sandals are the most important I reckon.

They're for Sorbet, of course, and are +3 IQ and +6 Agility. The stat boosts in the description here aren't quite what you'd expect necessarily; when she's in critical HP she automatically gets IQ Up and Agility Up. It's certainly not bad, mind.

Oh and the Meteor Boots'll go to Pico, for reasons.

With these, we'll loop back around and enter the obvious room in the middle.

How about it? You think you can move that ship hovering over the pyramid? It might be the only way we can get in.
Yes.
I knew the headmaster saw some potential in you! Well, let's see you do it.
Check it out. There's no roof here. So... that's gotta mean...
The ship is DIRECTLY ABOVE US!

There's a couple clues in this room for what we should do here, but it's really kinda obvious what we oughta do.

Even if there wasn't a mural on the far wall, and the Fire starsign symbol on the cauldron clear as day.

Well, I don't see any saucer overhead, so I'm guessing you guys did it! OK, I'll go up first. See ya!

Sure enough, she does. We need to backtrack at this point, which is pretty inconvenient...

Or, it would be but we can quick travel right back out. Much more convenient.

On the upper floor of the pyramid, there's three more Sergeants to fight our way through. We'll just skip past these guys then.

Inside on this floor we've got a bunch of the Water People... and they're all dead. :stare:

There are a lot of their corpses littering the room, even.

A couple chests in the upper corners, with a putty pea on the left and... money over on the right.

Also, uh, Parfait... Parfait is here.

Are you OK?! Who did this?!

PARFAIT! Ack! Wake up!
Lassi, do not let her move. She must be stabilized.
Quick, get the water millennium gummy...

Sounds to me like Abalon Demar is gonna be our boss fight for the pyramid then, huh. In that case, before we step through that door...

We'll take Pico and move him into the backrow. This isn't so much for any major reason, but it's a generally good idea just in case.

Oh, and also we'll use the +30% Bira set. Boss fights are the most convenient mini-money pinatas and all.

Sweet beauticious bounty! So this is the water millennium gummy!
So what happens if those kids get their hands on this?
If they get 'em all, those magibrats can fly to Nova.

I know Gil's just trying to save face here, but we did kinda beat him pretty easily before...

I'm sure that gummy's pretty and all, but it's hard to appreciate it when Mudflap's aroma makes me want to hork.

What? They're just... You didn't tell me they were just kids...
You mean to tell me that you were fought to a standstill by these... these brats?!
They sucker punched me! I wasn't ready for 'em! I'll smoosh 'em this time for sure!

Sludgeface? SLUDGEFACE?!

I'm sorry, Bro! I didn't mean to...
Look, it's just that I thought...
Get a whiff of that sick stench!
That noxious aroma is corroding my exoskeleton!
Ooooh, yeah. I have to say, it's even starting to get to me. Why don't we settle this outside?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!
Forget stankyboy! Take this creepy brother out!
He's going to wish he never faced us!

Really not seeing why when we're doing this, outside the room, Gil couldn't take the water millennium gummy...

Abalon Demar

Space Police Battle

Abalon Demar is a very charming individual, huh? He's clearly got a bit of an oddly pseudo-flirty, narcissistic bent that has... never come up before now but is totally gonna be important, I swear. His Japanese name is Nibe Keja, which if you follow the pattern of the Space Police (and associates) and reverse the syllables gets you "benizake," which is the Japanese name for the sockeye/red salmon.

So, Abalon Demar's got two big things going for him in this fight. The first is that he is incredibly fast. So much so, that he'll get turns in the middle of a round's rotation and start lapping folks very easily.

The other big thing is his Sweet Nothings ability inflicts a unique ailment.

There's a couple quirks to Charm, but it's mercifully nicer than you might expect. The first little quirk is that Abalon Demar only uses Sweet Nothings once and never again in the fight (well, normally anyway). See, we cannot block Charm and a timed guard doesn't help with it. It has a 100% chance to Charm someone. The second quirk is that this doesn't matter because only one person can be Charmed at a time.

So what does Charm do?

It prevents you from attacking Abalon Demar. Rather notably, there is still a way for someone who's Charmed to damage him, but it's a bit of a loophole and kind of a bad idea. But, uh, we'll get to that.

So at this point I feel like I have a good idea for what you might be thinking. Sorbet just so happens to have Fresh Drop which is the "cures ailments" spell, so let's have her use that.

And since Charm can only inflict one person at a time, she can be in the front-row to save on animation time and everything!

The third quirk to Charm is that we can't cure it. It also doesn't cure itself over time, either. There IS a way for it to be lifted, but that's up to Abalon Demar to do.

Also, yeah, we can just win the fight and then it's gone but that's not the point.

Hello, Good-Bye is the fourth quirk to Charm. It's a single-target physical attack that can only be used on a Charmed target.

It seems like a very powerful attack.. because it, uh, it is. It takes whoever is Charmed and knocks them to 1HP regardless of where they were before. It also cures them of Charm and picks someone else at random to inflict.

But, well, with this Abalon Demar can certainly guarantee that he's intimidating and all but it, uh, it can't drop anyone.

Abalon Demar's last move of note (he can cast Celestial Swap, of course) is another wholly unique skill. In this case it's the Water elemental spell, Forested Field.

This is clearly treated like a backrow spell, since it's 4 hits on random targets. A single hit isn't super-powerful or anything (unless you're Pico), but it doesn't really need to be. As a follow-up to Hello, Good-Bye it's inherently dangerous enough to necessitate healing between the two and a single hit does more than half what a Green Frog can do for good measure.

Oh and being a Water spell, it has a chance to inflict Sick as well. Good thing we got some Sickproof gear, huh?

So, Abalon Demar is pretty obviously a Water starsign enemy. He's a water-themed man, dressed like a water-themed bad guy we fight on the water planet. So, we'll want Mokka to do our heavy-lifting for damage and heavy it shall be.

We'll use Celestial Swap to move Erd into alignment and uh... wait hang on, Sorbet is Charmed but she can still cast this. So, remember when I said Charm had a loophole? You wouldn't think it, but it's this. Celestial Swap can deal damage.

If you line up all five planets like so, Celestial Swap's secondary effect kicks in and it's nice enough to tell you that it's happening at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXnb6Tkp7kY

So, uh, yeah. Even though you can doesn't mean you should.

After all, it does target and hit
everyone. And then it throws the planets into random places for good measure. There's no real reason to intentionally use this, but a few bosses will sometimes try and do it because it pretty much always hurts us more than it hurts them.

Anyway, we'll move Erd into alignment to give Mokka his Aura boost. Then we'll feed him some of this delicious jam I bought on Gren a while back. You might understandably be curious why I picked Raisin over any others and it's simple:

It's the IQ Up jam. We'll definitely be keeping a stack of this on-hand whenever possible for that reason.

Sadly while this does stack with his Strong effect, Fever does not. Despite being technically different buffs, they overwrite each other beecause they have the same effect. It makes sense but I did think for the longest time that they stacked. Oh well, we'll make do without it:

For quick reference, Abalon Demar has 12,000HP. Yeah, uh, doing 7300 damage in one attack is a wee bit more than you might be reasonably expected to do right now. But, they DO put the Star Ring in Bena Rikashi as soon as you get to Puffoon. You could theoretically buy it the first time there, even. :colbert:

So, yeah, Abalon Demar's kind of a fun fight. He might not seem as tough as Lt. Mugwort or Gil Mudflap were, but if you don't crush him 'neath your metallic heel he can put up a real fight as well. It's just unfortunate for him that we're kinda at the point now where we just kinda steamroll if we get even the tiniest bit of momentum. If he came even a little bit earlier, Abalon Demar could've been a very difficult fight.

Also he drops a unique hat as well, but unlike his brother's this one is trash.

End

Sir, just to confirm the orders...
We were just here to guard the gummy, correct? Because the stench is killing us, and, well... we're leaving!

Uhh... yeah, punk!
Quick, somebody grab that gummy!

Fortunately for us, that Space Trooper was kind enough to imply that they didn't take it with them so we'll just go back in there and...

How do you like that? I'm guessing not so much. HAH! It's MINE, now.

Yes? Good. That gives me satisfaction, 'cause I'm not giving it to you OR the Space Police. So... MYEH!

We have to go after him!

At least Caldarroste is smart enough to run off before we have a chance to stop him. Unfortunately, we'll just run after him and...

...Parfait's missing. I'm sure that's not gonna be important.

Oh right and before I forget:

The Shampoo Cap! It's worse than the thing we can buy from a middle school's shop and it makes Sorbet blind. It has actively no benefit to ever use compared to what we already have! It even sells for 1 Bira just to really rub it in.

Anyway, while you were looking at that hat, Sugar and co. caught up to Caldarroste.

Fer crackers' sake, Persimmon! We are still in enemy territory!
Let's go back to Pescato. I'll hand the gummy over to you there!
Mutinous peg-brain! What treachery is this?! So these are your true colors!
No! It's not like that!

Well, this is inconvenient.

Awww, look at that. The trickster got tricked!
Leave it alone, wouldya? We have to find that croc!

Nobody uses me like a total heel.
Mark my words, Persimmon... I'll get you!

So now we're chasing after Persimmon instead. So long as he doesn't find an alternative route, this road is gonna lead us back to Ambergris, and I don't see him getting through...

...Huh, he never even made it all the way there. Well, never mind then!

Whoa, Parfait! You're one tough biscuit!
Hahaha! This lame ol' croc was a complete pushover!
How are your wounds, Parfait?
It's nothing I can't handle.
And now that I've got the water millennium gummy, we'd better report back to the headmaster!

Hey! She took the water millennium gummy!
Give that back!
What do you mean, "give that back"? It was never ours to begin with!
Chai's got a point... We'd better go talk to the headmaster.
You wretched... wretches!

You're all as good as a bucket of chum in a shark-infested reef.

Y'know, maybe we should do something about Lord Persimmon while we've got the chance.

...Eh, it'll be fine. He's tied up. Nothing bad could happen if we just leave him here.

Yup! Getting that millennium gummy was no problem at all!
Hmph.
Yes, we wanted to talk to you about that...

Fight? Don't be silly. You have a grand fate to meet. Sleep well tonight, for your great journey begins tomorrow.
How about a last meal before we go off to meet our grand destiny?
Don't be rude, Mokka!
Hahahoo! Of course, of course! You're probably all starving, poor things.
Don't mind him. He gets cranky when he's running on reserve power.
Robots always say it like it is. I love that about them.
Do let me know if there is any other way we can accomodate your needs.

Before we do anything else, let's check in on the rest of the gang. Kinda becoming a trend lately, huh?

I hope Miss Madeleine is hanging in there.

Am I creaking? I hate that. I need rest and maybe a nice, refreshing oil bath.

Ahhhh, man. I'm getting sleepy again. I need to hit the sack.

Headmaster Sturgeon seems to know tons about Miss Madeleine. Shouldn't we, like, pump him for info?

The headmaster wants to talk with you. Please go see him.

Can't even leave the room without talking to Sturgeon some more, so...

Give us all you got about Miss Madeleine!
Yeah.
So Miss Madeleine was... here, right? What did she do while she was here?
Hmm, yes. Well... I was still just a child.
Yes, well, I believe I was just nine or ten years old at the time.
When I first arrived, Madeleie had been

Madeleine excelled at everything she attempted. What an immense talent

She could warp across the galaxy with a mere incantation!
Her nose was always buried in some musty old tome.
The Book of the Darned?
Yes, yes, that was the book. Now it is said to be cursed, but in those days nobody thought that at all.
It was Madeleine who annotated and clarified the book, defined difficult terms, and learned the old spells.
The true terror of that book was not exposed until... Well, until...
You've read it, then?
Hahahoo! At that age, I didn't have the patience to wade through a book that dense and convoluted.
Even so, academics didn't consider the book cursed until some centuries

That is some seriously gnarly homework!
The universe... It's aging, you know.
Huh?
That which doesn't worry us in our youth can be catastrophic in our old age. So too with the universe.
What does that have to do with the curse?

Hahahahooo!

And that's the end of this conversation, unfortunately.

HOLD UP! Miss Madeleine is over 800 years old?!
I mean, I know she's older than us, but... whoa!

Maybe I'm crashing after all that candy I ate, but I'm sleepy...

I bet the Book of the Darned has something to say about this.

Phew, I could really use a power nap.

Yes.
You'll sleep well tonight.

Well, let's get some sleep.

There's only five beds for six students. You'd think maybe Mokka wouldn't get one, but you'd be wrong!

Instead, Chai and Pico just end up sharing.

Although in the middle of the night, someone's stepped our for a moment I see.

Hmm, y'know, I can't say I'm surprised by this.

Believe in your fate. There is no such thing as a bad fate.
Only thinking ill of your fate can make it so. So says Craaken.

Listen, Sugar! There's big trouble!

It's out of my league... nothing I can do. But, Sugar, you can help!
It's a little embarrassing to ask, but could you come to Tropica and take a look?
Please, you gotta help a detective out here! Whew... now I must pass out here!

Well, that at least answers the obvious issue of where to go next. Guess we're off back to Gren! Hopefully what's happening there won't be as bad as the casual (albeit off-screen) genocide of an entire race!

...Hang on a minute, Sturgeon never told us what happened that made people think the Book of the Darned was cursed!
f

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 27, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ah, yes, a game for the children. :stare:

e: Honestly, this arc and the arc for the next planet were what really sold me on the game's storytelling.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I deeply appreciate the fact that, after we fought a boss for a plot token only for it to be stolen by an NPC, another NPC just clowned the first one and handed the token back to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh wow I completely forgot about the Water People :stare:

Who the hell made this game for kids ag-

Dragonatrix posted:

Magical Starsign is a little-known DS RPG released in late 2006. It was made by Brownie Brown Inc. back when they existed and who you may know more for things like, I dunno, Mother 3

Oh yeah. Right.

Didn't know the Water People were in the previous game, I really should check that out what's going on in that one at some point I suppose.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 7, 2019