Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Thread title should really be Phantasy Mana Star because Brownie Brown basically made a new Phantasy Star game and nobody knows about it but meeeeee :negative:

I found the gameplay pretty enjoyable with the team dynamics we've seen a bit of already and I wish more games did what this does with MP for spellcasters.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

"Doomy Times" cracks me up every time :allears:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The dual screens make it easier to have big bosses, which I appreciate.

Don't underestimate Slippy Oil, it's real good. I'm pretty sure multiple uses stack too!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So...is the combat system ever going to get any significant depth to it? Or are we just here for the plot?

They're just easing you into it. The character/party mechanics in this game are pretty unique, it gets hectic fast.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh good, you got those hidden chests! It's an interesting mechanic with some great risk/reward.

That one with the putty pea eluded me for quite a while.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 12, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah Mokka is great, he pours on the sarcasm and does exactly in combat what you expect him to do. He's the bedrock of your team :rimshot:

Also these otters are super adorable and are the best NPCs in the game :3:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 16, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

He's pretty good, but he's no Craaaaaaazy Chris

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

RedMagus posted:

I can understand why you'd trick some kids, cause being a pirate is cool. Isn't that right penguin buddy?

Okay I'll bite. What game is this it looks :krad:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So it's been a while but the reason you actually fight enemies in Dragon Road is that one of the enemies (I think it's a Stalactite) drops a piece of set equipment that boosts Bira gain. Slippy Oils make it pretty painless :v:

Space Police are basically The Department of Redundancy Department given form.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I found Bean Pops/the Sage gear to be pretty useless, with the way you earn less XP per battle as you level, anyone you give them to will be caught by other characters quickly anyways. I guess if you really want to hit a level for a new spell?

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 23, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Glazius posted:

I'm disappointed we aren't in the class at magic school that had all the cats and otters and stuff.

Chai is great don't be mean :(

Speaking of Chai having four characters to use is when the combat starts getting interesting. As we see with Minty Freshness, Chai is a great support character, Mokka's the tank, Lassi's the healer... figuring out what rows to put them in and managing all their roles is basically juggling 4 balls at once.

Also if you're playing along Lemon Jam from the shop is great, it boosts IQ aka all your murderbeams.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I... didn't get the Razen -> Raisin connection until a few updates ago :negative:

Elder Kettle's been getting a lot of roles lately, I loved him in Cuphead so that's nice to see!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Glazius posted:

Would it have been a dark planet if we were a darkness mage? It's hard to tell. Obviously it would have been a dark door so we could go through it... right?

The door changes based on your character, yes.

Hoo boy it can't be understated how easy Dragonatrix made Mudflap look. That fight's a real ramp up in difficulty with all those status effects, especially Sick(aka Mute). Mute effects are pretty scary when your entire party are mages!

And yeah Sorbet does not play well with others. Of the six characters she's the purest mage in terms of skills... and attitude :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I didn't know you could find Permafrosts outside Dragon Road, those must be hella rare :stare:

The enemies here sometimes being scorched is such a quirky thing, like so many other things in this game.

As someone who hasn't played Magical Vacation, Madeleine does sound like she's a competent wizard.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 14, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

DanielCross posted:

So I was playing Smash Ultimate's Adventure Mode, and look what I found.

The buttons on those pants are very large and very useless :stare:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I think I used Comet Shower and High Art once, wasn't impressed, and never again, so I'm curious about what it's other use is.

Now the next unaligned spell I used a lot and debated between it and Celestial Swap.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Base-level Brawly Ball is pretty lame (who is physically attacking in this game?) but the husk upgrades change the added effect and are really good (even if the last one comes a bit late).

Also drat those Meteor Boots are end-game equipment, I don't think other boots give more than +10 AGI :stare:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 21, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Well, this thread inspired me to go and buy a copy of my own; good thing I was able to get one cheap and in fairly good condition. Going for DARKNESS for my character, because I'm a sucker for dark magic.

Dark Magic is pretty darn fun, you don't get that Light -> Dark weakness laser nuke but taking less Dark damage is nice and their level 4 magic in particular is hilarious from the back row.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh wow I completely forgot about the Water People :stare:

Who the hell made this game for kids ag-

Dragonatrix posted:

Magical Starsign is a little-known DS RPG released in late 2006. It was made by Brownie Brown Inc. back when they existed and who you may know more for things like, I dunno, Mother 3

Oh yeah. Right.

Didn't know the Water People were in the previous game, I really should check that out what's going on in that one at some point I suppose.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 7, 2019

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah, so that chapter explains how I forgot about the Water People on the Cassia! :stare:

Farina's such an odd character, some of the stuff she does makes it seem like she's an unrepentant sociopath (like, I kinda feel she was telling Semolina what she wanted here at the end there, not that she meant it), the rest makes her seem like she has a mental issue and Durum's trying to ignore it to both their detriments.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 13, 2019

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe I've been tainted by LPs of other games, but I have this weird notion that it's just going to be this one gummy that requires sacrifice, making Yggsalad completely tonally dissonant with the rest of the game.

Ahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, how many games have two completely separate genocides? I mean what the hell Brownie Brown :stare:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

What a heartwarming planet!

It's nice to have a planet without genocide or mass murder! :3:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Space Pirate Otters: still great :allears:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The game's built up Biek to be an unstoppable badass the whole game and he doesn't disappoint :allears:

The fight shows pretty well that Madeline didn't stand a chance one-on-one.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Leraika posted:

We're in the last push to a) rescue Miss Madeline and b) do something about the worm that'll eat the sun and destroy the solar system. Everyone who we haven't gotten killed is showing up to help and/or get in our way.

I appreciate that Master Kale's plan as laid out to us is quite literally "chewing the scenery" :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

EponymousMrYar posted:

Charming game, but it kinda fell apart at the 11th hour. That ending is quite rushed.

It does feel like they ran out of time and that's why Nova/Shadra are so short.

I love everything about Mokka in this endgame by the way. Down but not out :swoon:

quote:

But now it is finished! Hooray! :unsmith:

Not just yet. Among other loose ends we haven't even seen what those Putty Peas DO, after all!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The Winged armor set from Shadra enemy drops makes Glissini a bit more tolerable, +10 POW, +15 IQ, +3 DEF, +3SPR, +20 AGI, +6 MP%, but it's real trick is the set ability: you always act first in combat.

The Zap critters and the Cybersaurus are so ruinous :negative:

Shadra loves all the level 2 spells with increased status effect chances, so the Misty set helps for that.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Thanks for doing this and giving this lesser-known game some love :unsmith:

Another random note or two: Money is no issue in the post-game so you can buy the house in Bena Rikashi as well as the pocket watch! I don't believe they do anything though (at least in single player)?