Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zach Hyman on the powerplay. Kill me now.

I mean I get it because apparently the ice at the ACC is total garbage making it virtually impossible to slide the puck along the ice, complete hard passes or basically do anything fun and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Puljajarvi is so getting sent to Bakersfield tomorrow.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs played well and looked fine, even Hyman. That unit should have had at least one goal in the third.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
loving A

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That’s better !

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/pr_nhl/status/1058180792894062592?s=21

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Koskinen got a shutout and Caggiula got 2 goals, what the gently caress

Fire Chiarelli already you fucks

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think youll find that a certain mr chiarelli overpaid both of those fine gentlemen and they are delivering "the good"

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Brett Howden looks astonishingly good right now for a Rookie. He may as well have been our 2C tonight vs the ducks. Coaches are playing him in pretty big spots too and he’s just handling it, winning face offs vs Getzlaf and Kessler like it ain’t no thing.

I don’t think there’s any question he’s playing better than Chytil right now either. Man if Chytil and Andersson come around center is suddenly looking solid for the Rangers for the next several years.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton are at the top of the Pacific.

What the fuuuuuu......

Kale
May 14, 2010

So considering this Montreal team seems to be gelling pretty well how long until Bergevin catches wind and starts trading everybody again?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

But does an empty net really count?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

But does an empty net really count?

Pretty sure the goal just has too. In order for 2 seconds to even be remotely possible they pretty much HAVE to score it right off the face off with a really hard accurate pass and shot which they somehow did. I'm just as surprised as anyone honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFICJYORvA

Also sometimes it doesn't even matter if there is a goalie in the net on an even longer bomb shot so I suppose there's a scenario where a player scores off the face off and someone is in the net. Heck I've even seen a goal off of a team winning it's own draw into the net with a goalie well and ready there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURkM1OUdw0

Sometimes it just doesn't matter either way goalie or not

Kale fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 2, 2018

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Finding out that one of the goals was with an empty net is a little bit of a let down after reading the blurb headline. Instead I’ll use this post to remind everyone of Bill Mosienko’s record of scoring a hat trick in 21 seconds with no empty netters.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I guess I just don't like how empty netters are treated the same as any other goal. They absolutely should affect the score of the game, but it gets recorded the same as actually lining up a shot and beating a goalie.

Then again if a puck hits your rear end and goes in you score a goal too so who knows :shrug:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

What the fuuuuuu......

LA, Vegas and San Jose seriously sucking so far has a lot more to do with things than any especially notable play from the Canadian teams.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

What the fuuuuuu......

the pacific has been trash for a few years now.

also congrats to Dale Weise for the most Dale Weiseian assist ever. Making a nice pass after fanning like all hell on a shot.

https://twitter.com/BroadStHockey/status/1058196271800991744

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1058205407628410885

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

I would be ok with this.

As decreed by the Jeopardy champion, the Islanders will win the Western conference by virtue of being on Western Long Island for half a season plus playoffs

Seriously, congratulations on the win

In other news from New York, a profile piece has been conducted on the excitement of the biggest rookie in the NHL in years. Actual quote: “He doesn’t really know his right from his left”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/sports/hockey/gritty-philadelphia-flyers.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsports

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 2, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CarverHighCBS/status/1058324551862493186

ahahaha

a straight up PPG pace is "just OK"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
gonna play devils advocate for noted retard Steve Simmons here and say "he sort of has a point" - Tavares had six goals and 10 points in his first five games, and only one goal and four points in the last eight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

gonna play devils advocate for noted retard Steve Simmons here and say "he sort of has a point" - Tavares had six goals and 10 points in his first five games, and only one goal and four points in the last eight.

He's on the same pace he's been on for years and let's stop using that word. There are a billion better ways to call someone stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

John Tavares is not and never has been elite.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Hockey is good, but Toronto is bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It’s almost like most players don’t score on a consistent basis but score in streaks. Shocking.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Last season's Western Conference Champions are averaging 2 goals per game through 12 contests.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

PPG players don't score exactly one point every game. He's doing fine and Simmons is an inflammatory idiot who knows exactly what he's doing and has made Post Media a ton of money as a result of his nonsense.

Aphrodite posted:

John Tavares is not and never has been elite.

IDK he was the best junior player I ever saw

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Suck it, toranah

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When Seattle is added to the league, which team is going to be moved from the Pacific to the Central? Have they said yet?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When Seattle is added to the league, which team is going to be moved from the Pacific to the Central? Have they said yet?

Almost certainly Vegas.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

Almost certainly Vegas.

Lol no. Vegas is Pacific time zone. It'll probably be Arizona

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah that's ridiculous. Leafs controlled the game against Dalas and just didn't get any puck luck. Looked lots better than Monday night.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

Lol no. Vegas is Pacific time zone. It'll probably be Arizona

Possibly, but Arizona are a geographically isolated small market in the central division. They're heavily reliant on out of town fans and no one is travelling to Glendale from Dallas or Winnipeg. Vegas will do fine regardless of where they end up because they're already a big tourist draw.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I guess I just don't like how empty netters are treated the same as any other goal. They absolutely should affect the score of the game, but it gets recorded the same as actually lining up a shot and beating a goalie.

Then again if a puck hits your rear end and goes in you score a goal too so who knows :shrug:

Hockey should count own goals

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Possibly, but Arizona are a geographically isolated small market in the central division. They're heavily reliant on out of town fans and no one is travelling to Glendale from Dallas or Winnipeg. Vegas will do fine regardless of where they end up because they're already a big tourist draw.

They should give the Central another Canadian team, and both Calgary and Edmonton are in the mountain timezone, but realistically I don't see them moving either of them out of the Pacific for obvious reasons.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

ThinkTank posted:

I think they should just split the western conference North/South once Seattle comes in.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CommaToes posted:

I think they should just split the western conference North/South once Seattle comes in.

Eight divisons of 4 teams like the NFL
1. Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal
2. Boston, NYI, NYR, Buffalo
3. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Washington
4. Nashville, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida
5. Columbus, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota
6. Dallas, Colorado, Arizona, Vegas
7. Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Seattle
8. Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg

Division winners and four wild cards for the playoff seeding, which would probably really piss everyone off.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Division winners and four wild cards for the playoff seeding, which would probably really piss everyone off.

But then how would you make it so the top teams in the league all meet each other in the first 2 rounds?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Montreal is closer to Boston than it is Toronto and Detroit.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

Montreal is closer to Boston than it is Toronto and Detroit.

We can swap them for Buffalo. I was going for a "New York vs Boston" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pittsburgh, Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto
NYI, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston
NYR, Philadelphia, NJ, Washington

• Locked thread