Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Michael_Cho/status/1063324319869218816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I missed the happy birthday and my browser isn't loading twitter images right now, so my first thought was "oh poo poo, who did we lose now?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have had a day of weakness today. I say "weakness" because I couldn't hack it at my trip to the gym and ended up quitting after doing weights for about 25 minutes then I ate too much the rest of the day, which I don't ordinarily do. Just a bad showing all round. One of those days that weighs heavily on the conscience.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if it makes you feel any better ive just been watching anime and trying to figure out how to get the rescaling to work on some streaming software

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey, at least you went to the gym, that's a win. I've been procrastinating on that for a year now.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hey don't worry too much on the working out thing, you got to listen to what your body's telling you. As for the food, are you on any kind of diet or are you just watching you calories?

EDIT: Actually I'm at the gym right now.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 18, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I had Ice Cream or Milkshakes for dinner twice this week because it has been blistering hot and also loads of junk food so any progress I made in the last couple of months probably went down the drain. It's also an extremely long weekend so I wouldn't be able to work out even if I wanted to.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have had a day of weakness today. I say "weakness" because I couldn't hack it at my trip to the gym and ended up quitting after doing weights for about 25 minutes then I ate too much the rest of the day, which I don't ordinarily do. Just a bad showing all round. One of those days that weighs heavily on the conscience.

If it makes you feel better, for breakfast I had two yodels, toast with butter, and hot chocolate marshmallows and a peanut butter Hershey's melted inside of it. Then I had a Big Mac with fries and Nuggets for lunch. Then I had to Whiskey and cokes. Then I had chicken and rice. And now I am having yodels again with a hard root beer. I plan on drinking even more afterwards and watching my friend play more Spyro.

The fact you actually managed to go to the gym is astronomical by the standards that I'm setting.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

My gym membership is just siphoning money from my bank account every month and I barely go :/

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Okay my advcie for food is don't say anything is off limits instead go with everything in moderation. You can get all of your nutritional needs without resorting to supplements simply by having a varied diet. Just watch how much you are putting in your body.Counting your calories is way better for you than any diet. Also low carb or "keto" diets as they are now called are horseshit. Carbs are one of the most important sources of energy for your body. About half your caloric intake should be carbs with fat and protein both making up about twenty to thirty percent of your intake. There are apps you can use to track your caloric intake like My Fitness Pal.
One trick I found that works for keeping steady on my dieting is to jsut have one cheat day a week where I just eat whatever I want. Ironically that was today for me and goddamn I love my lattes.
Also some other advice for finding the energy or motivation to work out. I said it before but consider pre-workout (for the record that's what the supplement is called,) if not that try bring some cold coffee to drink with you at the gym. Caffeine has been show to improve your performance in studies. Also if you don't already try listening to music when you work out, studies show that helps out too.

I got my personal training certificate eariler this year as well as my Fitness Nutritional Specalist certificate a few weeks ago so feel free to ask me anything.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
On the random day I go to the gym I do 30 minutes on the elliptical, half arse some crunches for about 5 minutes, do weights until I get bored (prob another 5 minutes) and then go and polish off half a six pack of some over priced beer. Gym days are the best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A couple of years ago I was getting down the gym about five times a week and doing yoga on Fridays. That was a pretty good time, but then I started getting all these demands (not unchosen demands, for the most part) on my time and it just tailed off to nothing.

Part of it was starting a new qualification at work which meant I had to spend a lot of time studying or spending my Saturdays in classes, part of it was taking up BJJ which meant I was going to classes for that in the evening instead of getting down the gym, part of it was the yoga class schedule changing to a time that didn't suit me so I couldn't make it any more. Pretty annoying.

Since moving to London, I've done my best to get down every Saturday and Sunday these days. Most frustrating thing is having to quit BJJ. And that's something else I could rant about; I went to a Gracie Barra club when I was in Belfast and it was fantastic; great atmosphere, great team, great instructors, and most importantly everyone was able to go at their own pace and everyone was having fun. When I got to London, I tried a few places and they all seemed to be these complete nutters. No offence to anyone who does BJJ in London but the entire culture is: you are here because you are going to compete, not to have fun; if you do not come every single night you are doing it wrong; the toughest guys here can go as hard as they want on the least experienced. I still go to my usual club whenever I'm back home but I haven't trained properly in months. I do Brazilian jiu-jitsu for a reason and I wasn't getting it out of any of the places I tried.

Anyway, that's my rant over. Sorry. Just gets on my nerves when I think about it, that's all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last March, after going through hell and drinking myself to sleep for a solid month, I started a path to fitness that yielded a 52 pound loss. I've only gained 6 of it back and am healthier than I've been in over 20 years. It's really important to take care of yourselves, please do so.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
If God didn't want me to have milkshakes for dinner he wouldn't have invented Summer

Spring is just the Summer prequel btw

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Samuringa posted:

If God didn't want me to have milkshakes for dinner he wouldn't have invented Summer

Spring is just the Summer prequel btw

And Fall the sequel.

And then in winter you still need to have all the specialty Peppermint milkshakes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

joehonkie posted:

And Fall the sequel.

And then in winter you still need to have all the specialty Peppermint milkshakes.

If you can drink milkshakes in winter and not immediately drop dead from hypothermia you're not living somewhere that actually has a winter.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

If you can drink milkshakes in winter and not immediately drop dead from hypothermia you're not living somewhere that actually has a winter.

or you live in a place with indoor heating, which i know is only like 4 buildings on earth

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Alaois posted:

or you live in a place with indoor heating, which i know is only like 4 buildings on earth

Yeah, and the way heating (and AC) get abused in the US means anyplace I would be in for my winter milkshakes will have me sweating anyways.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm from alaska, and i say milkshakes for all!

not me tho, im lactose intolerant

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Canadian here. What most of you consider a winter we call swimming weather.

Also hot chocolates exist for a reason you neanderthals.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah same I miss milkshakes. The milk alternatives just don't cut it either.

I lost about 20 lbs just by adding a 15 block walk home from work everyday. I wasn't super overweight before (20lbs off a 6'5" guy is actually hard to notice) but it just feels better in the knee and ankle department.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Madkal posted:

Also hot chocolates exist for a reason you neanderthals.

You can have both.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Hot Milkshake, a rare find in any clime

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just got an email from Diamond that Dead Rabbit is canceled and there's a mandatory recall on the two issues in print

What the gently caress

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Just got an email from Diamond that Dead Rabbit is canceled and there's a mandatory recall on the two issues in print

What the gently caress

I remember reading a while back about some legal issues over the name.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

We just googled and yeah there's a bar in New York with their own comic with that name

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, I'm sure so many stores will return those suddenly more valuable comics.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I just spent $8 to change my name from Archyduke from Archyduchess and it felt like a dumb waste of money and an even dumber thing to post about it, but you know, it feels nice to not have that little bump of cognitive dissonance, and for what it's worth I was low-key out on here some time before most of my friends and coworkers knew. Out for dinner with a college friend last night I got a good earnest "what can I get you ladies" at a place I used to be semi-regular at and when I look in the mirror now I see little hints and shades of my dad's mom, mostly around the hair and the nose and the cheeks, someone I loved tremendously, and not just a vague pile of meatballs.

This feels nebulously Thanksgiving appropriate-- I hope all of you also had bits of grace, large or small, come your way in this difficult year. You're all a bunch of comic book nerds I never met, but this community has been a constant source of happiness, support, and distraction for me for a long time, and you all deserve the best.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, I'm sure so many stores will return those suddenly more valuable comics.

"Huh. It sold out approximately two minutes before I read your message on the mandatory recall. That's a funny coincidence."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Archyduchess posted:

I just spent $8 to change my name from Archyduke from Archyduchess and it felt like a dumb waste of money and an even dumber thing to post about it, but you know, it feels nice to not have that little bump of cognitive dissonance, and for what it's worth I was low-key out on here some time before most of my friends and coworkers knew. Out for dinner with a college friend last night I got a good earnest "what can I get you ladies" at a place I used to be semi-regular at and when I look in the mirror now I see little hints and shades of my dad's mom, mostly around the hair and the nose and the cheeks, someone I loved tremendously, and not just a vague pile of meatballs.

This feels nebulously Thanksgiving appropriate-- I hope all of you also had bits of grace, large or small, come your way in this difficult year. You're all a bunch of comic book nerds I never met, but this community has been a constant source of happiness, support, and distraction for me for a long time, and you all deserve the best.

That's awesome. I try not to weigh in on people's transitions because I'll probably put my foot in my mouth but I'm really happy for you. One of my close friends went from a bog standard nerdy dude to a total smoke show and she's constantly getting eyeballed when we hang out. It's really nice to see people find the happiness they seek.

I am thankful for an incredible job that pays me more money than I ever thought I was worth, a beautiful, brilliant wife who's supportive of everything I do and our new home that we close on in about 40 hours.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The book is going to come back with a new name, right? Those were a solid two issues.

Also:. Grats Archy!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

Nothing wrong with a name change, and being validated, even in small ways, out and about irl feels good I'm happy for you. :) Dysphoria suuuuucks

I'm thankful that this subs community is much more accepting, and tbh much more queer than i expected. When i initially came out i thought there was gonna be a lot of hate considering its a bunch of older comic nerds, but by and large everyone is very cool about it. And I'm thankful that when the Nazis do come around, after i just tell them to gently caress off you are there to intellectually trounce them as support. Solidarity *fist up*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Nothing wrong with a name change, and being validated, even in small ways, out and about irl feels good I'm happy for you. :) Dysphoria suuuuucks

I'm thankful that this subs community is much more accepting, and tbh much more queer than i expected. When i initially came out i thought there was gonna be a lot of hate considering its a bunch of older comic nerds, but by and large everyone is very cool about it. And I'm thankful that when the Nazis do come around, after i just tell them to gently caress off you are there to intellectually trounce them as support. Solidarity *fist up*

I didn't spend the last year rebuilding myself physically to NOT punch Nazis.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Archyduchess posted:

That's sort of self-care and being more comfortable with yourself, online and offline is always a plus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Archyduchess posted:

Hell yeah. 8 dollars well spent, and congrats on your journey.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s awesome Archyduchess! I have no experience with what you’re going through, but just in general feeling good inside your own skin is such a huge quality of life difference.

Unrelated: there are some wicked Black Friday deals on digital European comics that have been translated to English. Check out izneo.com.

I read them in French but I like my reviews in English, and Pipeline comics is my source for Euro comic reviews. He’s got a rundown of some of the deals if you’re looking for a place to start.

Would love it more people wanted to talk about Euro books.

My recommendation is Blast. This book (actually 5 books) is loving amazing. Its a long journey into depression and alcoholism and homelessness. If this came out in NA it would be a huge indie darling.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Would love it more people wanted to talk about Euro books.

Years ago I started a thread about euro comics, it's long dead now though.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Alhazred posted:

Years ago I started a thread about euro comics, it's long dead now though.

Yeah, I'm down with learning more about Euro sci-fi stuff because it seems rad.

Also, way to go Archy!, and I'll leave it at that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

joehonkie posted:

Yeah, I'm down with learning more about Euro sci-fi stuff because it seems rad.

Okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's probably time for Savage Dragon to end.

• Locked thread