Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I added Nightfall to my list recently, I'll have to bump that up. Tarantino mentioned it on some podcasts, possibly that one with Edgar Wright. And he mentions Aldo Ray a lot since he has some role in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood and/or it's book.

Plus it has a cool title, when you listen to one of those podcasts there isn't enough time to google every title. A cool title goes a long way.

I've also heard good things and been meaning to see Criss Cross, In A Lonely Place, and Pickup on South Street.

For the fun of it, this list of noir, British crime thrillers, cool old movies or whatever they mentioned that i was gonna look up, in case any are worthy of extra recommends here:

Green for Danger
Tiger Bay
Pandora and the Flying Dutchman
Force of Evil
The Threat
Sapphire
All Night Long
Pool of London
Yield to the Night

Tarantino also loves the Breathless remake and Eight Million Ways to Die for some reason. I wasn't interested in either of those due to adaptation issues and whatnot, but now i'm a bit interested.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The only one of those I’ve seen is In a Lonely Place, which loving slaps.

Bogart rules. I gotta see that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skwirl posted:

All three are really good.

I forgot there was a Breathless remake.
A bunch of the original French New Wave was heavily influenced by film noir, worth checking out for something a little different.

For sure, Breathless rules. I like that Bogart shoutout moment etc. Sounds like the remake (which on paper is blasphemous) could have appeal as a kind of hip weird 80s movie. With rockabilly and comic book references etc. At least according to ol' QT.

Got a lot of French new wave and similar stuff I need to see for sure. Band of Outsiders, Alphaville, Le Cercle Rouge, Le Samourai, Shoot the Piano Player, Elevator to the Gallows, and whatnot.

Just for the record, not that it's noir or anything, but Pierrot le Fou was one of the least engaging movies for me, out of the past couple hundred I've seen. I was amped after Breathless, added a lot to my list, then watched that. I understand it's intentional, maybe a little like Funny Games which I do like, but outside of options it maybe opened up historically for experimental movies I love, it just didn't tickle my fancy. But I'll get back on that horse.

I'll pop those flicks you all dig way up the ol' list, thanks!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 11, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. I've seen Bob, it didn't do a lot for me, but it was a long time ago. What I love about Breathless is it really feels like it wears it heart on it's sleeve, it's got a lot of pizazz and that feeling of energy I get from say a Tarantino movie. Great conversations. And I love the characters, though I can love scumbags etc as well as far as noir goes. And I love Chandler and stuff like that. Some stuff to me as far as vintage French film goes can feel "dry" to me, I guess Bob was a bit like that.

I'll say, for noir, not that this necessarily applies to that one, but plot is the last thing that will grab or impress me. And if it's emotionally detached and just showing everybody sucks, I don't care about that either. Unless it's really really cool. Style, clever lines, characters I dig and care about, and throw in some topsy turvy stuff, just make me want to hang out and feel invested. I guess you could say I like "cool" noir, and I also like that sardonic wit.

Also, not to Tarantino all the time (I am listening to many podcasts he's on at the moment), he said something that I agree with. He was saying a lot of oldschool heist movies, the last act just doesn't live up to the rest of the movie, and we all know what's gonna happen. Take say The Asphalt Jungle, it's a cool movie, but the last thing we want is a moralized film noir with an afterschool special ending. I know you'll usually get a "crime doesn't pay" ending, but there's often something I guess melodramatic in a good way or classy about those endings like in Double Indemnity etc that make it cool. Not on Bob specifically, been a while since I saw it. So for various reasons, I'm just not into heist movies pre-70s for the most part. At least, it's a corner of noir that doesn't grab me. But there are a lot of cool corners of noir for me.

My rambles and personal taste aside, I dig it, thanks for all the recommendations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I see what you mean, with the stuff that happened.

I've got those Parker books on my pile. And coincidentally in the nutty spot I'm in, today I was just hearing about The Hot Rock on yet another QT podcast, based on another book by that guy I've got. And yeah it's cool how there's a lot of French movies adapting old pulp novels. Coup de Torchon looks good, and I've got Shoot the Piano Player high on my list. Also cool that Nightfall movie mentioned earlier is also Goodis based.

Adaptation is always interesting, sometimes I'll put off a movie if the book is on my pile. Recently I gave Get Shorty another try, I still think it's just ok. Then I flipped around and read some various passages of the book, was kinda fun getting some extra insight and moments on the story and characters I just saw. I'm in the middle of a cool Leonard book, Swag, that's pretty groovy.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 14, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sea of Love (1989) rules, just saw that, darn cool fun stuff. Pacino is delivering the goods here. It is crazy I've gone decades of Pacino fandom without popping this on.

Also saw The Big Easy, which has two thirds of the same main cast, unique flick, a bit uneven, but it's worth a watch as well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Great to see Noir talk! I'll aim to watch some this month, at least a couple.

Saw In a Lonely Place a while back, that is freakin' awesome.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He's 33 in the novel says wiki, that's a young Marlowe. I read that a few years back, awesome awesome book. The movie is nice though, but that narration in the book is so cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Digging the posts! That's a lotta noir. I may watch some next month too for some noir...cember?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! I've been meaning to see Harper, I'll bump that up the list. Hombre is another Newman from around then I've gotta see too, based on an Elmore Leonard book.

I saw The Color of Money for the first time earlier this year, so drat cool. I love The Hustler, The Sting etc, anyhoo, drat that guy is cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Rachel Ward is in the sadly overlooked Fortress, a cheapie Australian thriller film in the mid-80s (not the Christopher Lambert one!) that played relentlessly on HBO in the late 80s.

She is a really good in it. In fact I don't think I've ever seen her do a bad job in anything. I haven't seen Sharky's Machine - I'll remedy that. Thanks Tycho!

Not to be a party pooper here, but Sharky's Machine is terrible, and I gave it an enthusiastic chance. And it seems Tycho's review wasn't a big recommendation anyway. It's not even a neo-noir or anything, it's just your average shlocky bit of yarn. Done less well than you'd even expect. Everybody digs different stuff, but I'm just saying there's only so much time on earth, and I don't know why Sharky's Machine would be one you'd watch before some other 4000, at least if somebody warned you. So I'm gonna be that guy and say, hey, Sharky's Machine, that wasn't good. Lightheartedly, feel free to watch, I just felt responsible to say something.

For comparison, coincidentally I did enjoy Fortress. For something along the lines of the era and shlocky vibe of Sharky's Machine that I actually did enjoy, I the Jury (82) is pretty fun. And can't go wrong with Sea of Love.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 14, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A prank? They list it on there as "Crime-Action-Police Detective Film", so that's probably all it takes. Everybody can make their own noir lines in this crazy town. It looks like an outlier to me since I think most of their 80s and 90s picks seem reasonable, but everyone has different takes. By whatever criteria they chose to include Sharky, you could include a lot more films than they did, some a better fit I think.

A Better Tomorrow and The Killer would be cool inclusions for example.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 15, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah well I say it's noir.

I'll read posts about any smoky mediocre 80s cop movie, I was just sharing my take on this one. Nobody leans on Sharky's Machine apparently.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool, Chandler is too good. Been meaning to read that and Lady in the Lake soon, used bookstores around here have a lot of good stuff like those. The Big Sleep is the only one I've read so far, ruled.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

March Boiled coming up. Hard March. Feb-noir-uary 2: Street Tales.

Any fav noir or crime movies involving a boss's wife? Especially the protagonist having to take her out etc? I was listening to Tarantino talk to Robert Rodriguez on YouTube, and he mentioned how Mia and Vince's story is based on this old standard. "Look but don't touch" he said etc.

They also mentioned how the Butch part of a boxer told to throw a fight is a classic staple of course. Maybe like The Set-Up (still meaning to see that).

Any good movies with the taking out the gangster's wife thing, or stuff like that?

There's Married to the Mob, fun comedy take, similar in a roundabout way. And looks like The Big Combo invokes a boss's wife, but I was thinking not from a cop angle as much. Still meaning to see that though.

And for a bonus topic, any fav crime fiction books? Especially ones that go down smooth?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Will do! Thanks folks.