Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I should probably rewatch that. I went back and saw my final ranking for Nikkatsu Noir after I went through it the first time when I bought it and that was my least favorite of the bunch (Cruel Gun Story was my favorite, apparently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Cutter's Way is fantastic and it's a lost gem of the New Hollywood.

Fun Fact! Halfway through filming, camera operator Don Thorin got a call asking if he would be interested in reclassifying in the union as a director of photography and shooting his first feature with a first time director, some unknown bloke named Michael Mann and his quaint little movie Thief. Don approached Jordan Cronenweth (the DP of Cutter's Way, who would later go on the shoot Blade Runner) and asked him if he should do it but was thinking about turning it down because he didn't want to abandon Jordan and crew, especially since Jordan was suffering from Parkinson's disease that was misdiagnosed as multiple sclerosis. Jordan quickly slapped him upside the head and said "What? Are you loving crazy? Go do it, I'll be fine. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and probably won't come around ever again." Don then left to shoot that insignificant movie and we never heard from Michael Mann or Don again.

(I kid, Thief is loving fantastic and Don became an in-demand DP in Hollywood)

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 8, 2021

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I bought Year of the Dragon in the last Warner Archive sale solely on its reputation as Michael Cimino being insanely racist towards Asians.

(I'm Asian)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Edit: oops, wrong movie

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I recommend watching Cutter's Way mainly because it was one of the last New Hollywood films, for John Heard's performance, and for Jordan Cronenweth's cinematography and the influence it had on Don Thorin's cinematography on Thief because Don was Jordan's camera operator on Cutter's Way until halfway through filming (because he was called off to shoot Thief).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Anyone here seen Criterion’s Nikkatsu Noir collection? I got it from the library and watched I Am Waiting yesterday. It’s a pretty good noir that starts strong with a man and a woman with mysterious pasts slowly growing find of each other and opening up about their respective pasts. Unfortunately, once the mystery starts about halfway through the movie, it gets a lot weaker and the main female character is almost totally written out of the film. The finale’s an absolute banger, though.

I own Nikkatsu Noir and I largely felt the same. I am Waiting starts strong but really peters out at the end, and I ended up rating that as the weakest in the set. I rated Cruel Gun Story and A Colt is My Passport as the top films in that set but I have to go back and watch them to see if they switched spots.