Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

married but discreet posted:

Is Paprika on the list of good non-Ghibli animes? The list is currently Akira and Jin-Roh.

It is, also add Perfect Blue to that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

*sniff*

Ahhhhh, new thread smell.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm open to suggestions for a Thanksgiving-related CineD name change

My idea was CineDressing, but I feel like it's lame. :(

Arguing with your racist uncle.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Bless whoever the gently caress it was that mentioned Hoopla ITT. I renewed my library card yesterday and started using it. I am now listening to the audiobook of Bird Box and it's dope.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Is Paprika on the list of good non-Ghibli animes? The list is currently Akira and Jin-Roh.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlines is fantastic. Superb art with an interesting world and story. It was perfect for my Halloween viewing this year.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

James Woods Fan posted:

Bless whoever the gently caress it was that mentioned Hoopla ITT. I renewed my library card yesterday and started using it. I am now listening to the audiobook of Bird Box and it's dope.

Get on Libby if you can!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dia Los Muertos bitches, time to get drunk after work week and bowl with hot chicks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

James Woods Fan posted:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlines is fantastic. Superb art with an interesting world and story. It was perfect for my Halloween viewing this year.

Yeah it rocks hard

The Trigun movies are okay from what I recall

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I already miss the old thread :(

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Hello new thread. I want to watch a movie tomorrow. Does anyone know anything about Peterloo? I think that's the leading candidate right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ok Paprika, Akira and Jin-Roh are the good animes then and let's end this line of discussion.

The French anime Les balls deux Dragonne

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The actual best anime is Kamen Rider bitches

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vargo posted:

Carving Knife Culture

This!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vargo posted:

Yeah, I posted, went to lunch, came back and there were like 65 new posts. Don't know if I'll keep up with this one.

Matt Breida sucks and can rot in hell.

Poor guy already plays for the Niners, he’d probably consider that an improvement

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The French anime Les balls deux Dragonne

Les Boules De La Dragon, one of the most acclaimed French animes of the 1990s, alongside Le Fantôme Dans La Coquille, Expériences En Série Lain, and Ma Petite Soeur Ne Peut Pas Être Aussi Mignonne

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The African Queen is so drat good. Humphry Bogart is hilarious. I really like how Katherine Hepburn, despite at first appearing to be a conservative prude, never allows herself to be marginalized. Rose is just as strong as Charlie, and they only ever argue to figure out how to work together best.

It's really interesting to see a movie about a blossoming relationship where the only conflict between the characters is how they work together and survive and also figuring out how to blow up a ship full of Nazis.

Wonderful film.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 3, 2018

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

I Before E posted:

Les Boules De La Dragon, one of the most acclaimed French animes of the 1990s, alongside Le Fantôme Dans La Coquille, Expériences En Série Lain, and Ma Petite Soeur Ne Peut Pas Être Aussi Mignonne

The only possible way anime could be any creepier or more problematic w/r/t sexualizing children is if it was made by the French. So thanks for reminding me we don't live the absolute worst reality in the multiverse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

The African Queen is so drat good. Humphry Bogart is hilarious. I really like how Katherine Hepburn, despite at first appearing to be a conservative prude, never allows herself to be marginalized. Rose is just as strong as Charlie, and they only ever argue to figure out how to work together best.

It's really interesting to see a movie about a blossoming relationship where the only conflict between the characters is how they work together and survive and also figuring out how to blow up a ship full of Nazis.

Wonderful film.

I wish we could have some current rom-coms about slaughtering Nazis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
African Queen is First World War.

Of course it's a great movie, in any case. Lots of fun.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Vargo posted:

Carving Knife Culture

Yes, please.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Castle of Cagliostro technically isn't Ghibli.

If you want to get really technical, neither is Nausicaä.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thanks for correcting me. They mainly refer to them as The Germans throughout.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I stand by what I said.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks for correcting me. They mainly refer to them as The Germans throughout.

This reminds me of Top Secret! and how Val Kilmer fights Nazis in the German Democratic Republic.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New Suspiria is one of the most tactile films I’ve seen in recent memory. I loved it.

That one scene (you’ll know it when you see it) is “Possession subway scene” levels of physical acting.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm a big Park Chan-Wook fan, but Joint Security Area looks downright stupid. Am I missing out if I skip it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Shot Sound Context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-WT8Wg5kI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXB58kb6-1k

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Up In The Air :v:
https://twitter.com/ghoulieschool/status/1058422424985894912?s=21

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Man of Steel

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
First Blood.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m sorry, I’m gonna be a bit of a narcissist here, reposting my short. It got mixed reactions and I’m curious what people think about it before I send it to my actors.

Edit: I put this flick on lockdown for a bit.

No one has to watch it, but I’d really appreciate it! I’ve been working on this thing for too long.

I won’t post it again, only reposting because it’s a new thread.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 3, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Budgie Jumping posted:

The only possible way anime could be any creepier or more problematic w/r/t sexualizing children is if it was made by the French. So thanks for reminding me we don't live the absolute worst reality in the multiverse.

Anime isn't a genre

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hand Knit posted:

Hello new thread. I want to watch a movie tomorrow. Does anyone know anything about Peterloo? I think that's the leading candidate right now.

I often take my peter out when I go to the loo.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I'm a big Park Chan-Wook fan, but Joint Security Area looks downright stupid. Am I missing out if I skip it?

You are. It's cheesy but well done and it's the film that first made him a big name in SK. You'd be missing out on a really good Song Kang-ho performance too.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://mobile.twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1057788529500143622

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
As someone who's not terribly well read on the classics and almost never picks up modern fiction I had a rough time answering either question.

I guess I'd go with Naguib Mahfouz and either Regine Pernoud or Agatha Christie. None of these answers satisfy me though

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mudbound

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Adlai Stevenson posted:

As someone who's not terribly well read on the classics and almost never picks up modern fiction I had a rough time answering either question.

I guess I'd go with Naguib Mahfouz and either Regine Pernoud or Agatha Christie. None of these answers satisfy me though

I love the obvious stilt Mahfouz gets from translation, it gives it this very stiff and cool Aesop quality in english

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I mean it's like Palin's newspaper thing. It's more telling he couldn't even pull 'Jane Austen' out of the air

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

I’m sorry, I’m gonna be a bit of a narcissist here, reposting my short. It got mixed reactions and I’m curious what people think about it before I send it to my actors.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NzrP4TSEvTdlMQt9vlBxLQBorU61xR8H/view?usp=drivesdk

No one has to watch it, but I’d really appreciate it! I’ve been working on this thing for too long.

I won’t post it again, only reposting because it’s a new thread.

I like it, (this is going to sound mean, but it comes from a place of trying to help you) You said you were using friends as actors, your lead needs to wear makeup to cover his acne scars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

The Peccadillo posted:

I love the obvious stilt Mahfouz gets from translation, it gives it this very stiff and cool Aesop quality in english

Fittingly the work that brought him to my mind for this was Arabian Nights and Days. I hope I still have my copy

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean it's like Palin's newspaper thing. It's more telling he couldn't even pull 'Jane Austen' out of the air

Hm? Oh, the video. Yeah he's an idiot and in the moment even I could think of Austen and I haven't even read any Austen. My reaction was more remembering that I used to read more books and that I haven't had that habit in a while