Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

CPL593H posted:

You still have the wrong idea. This is more of an "I need to constantly scream in horror." type deal. Do they make a thing for that?

Sewing needle and thread? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Peccadillo posted:

... The pentagon's still a thing right? I think that's where the CIA is at

Is that in Virginia?

Go off I guess, the united states of america

Pentagon is in DC proper, but the CIA isn’t stationed there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coaaab posted:

What complete joke it is that an airport is named after that fucker (I’ll always call it National, BTW)

Lots of things about that entire DC-Baltimore region are a joke. :v:

Edit: I'll just say, with all these health issues, sometimes you just hurt all over and you want to take a hot shower and ease the muscle pain (especially since I can't take painkillers, because of my blood thinner medication). Ever since I moved here in April, it usually takes about 20 minutes for my shower to get hot. I've pissed and moaned to the landlord about it, and she's had a plumber here like five times, and each time a guy points out that I'm in the apartment farthest away from the boilers in the basement and is like, "Sorry, brah."

:argh: Then why the hell can I get steaming hot water from my kitchen and bathroom faucets in about four seconds?
:downs: Uh ... I ...

God.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 3, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The Peccadillo posted:

Well then I know what I'm watching to kill time before Suspiria tonight

Stray thoughts on 7 Faces of Dr. Lao:

- In many ways, this feels like George Pal and M-G-M's answer to Mary Poppins, which was being produced at the same time and came out in the same year.

- This is like "ground zero" of ironic racism as a form of comedy. Park of Lao's characterization is that he only sometimes talks like a chinky Chinaman stereotype when he's trying to gently caress with white people. But then it turns out that he speaks fluent English, and even has kind of a dignified British affectation.

- Following from the former, this is one of the most patronizingly racist movies I've ever seen. Besides the obvious, Dr. Lao is a mystical Chinaman whose entire philosophy and angelic guidance is shaped by European culture, particularly Greco-Roman. The closest we get to anything "oriental" is his guise as the Abominable Snowman, and even then this creature is completely servile. Unlike the other guises, he never exacts justice or leads characters to some personal or spiritual awakening. The mind-boggling thing about it is that there's an early scene where the local newspaper man, after having met Lao, rushes to the library to find books on China to learn something about the Chinese. This is never referenced again, and nothing remotely Chinese or even relatively Asian is ever relevant to the plot or themes of the film. Again, Lao's Chinese-ness is only ever a fulcrum for ironic racism. The man himself is just a completely occidentalized wizard.

- Thematically, the film has a lot in common with It's a Wonderful Life, where Lao represents this messenger of secular, theistic purity who attempts to dissuade this Western town from giving into the whims of a greedy philanthropist.

- As far as a Western, the film is also strangely adjacent to Shane. Lao befriends a small boy who, by the film's end, is running crying into the horizon calling for Lao to please come back, his work now done.

- The character arch of the newspaper man's widowed love interest is that she refuses to love another man until she encounters Lao as the god Pan, who stirs in her a sweaty sexual awakening that makes her realize that, more than her son needing a father, she personally needs some dick. This is the most uncomfortable scene in the film. It goes on forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think I'm handling my dad getting diagnosed with Alzheimer's very well. My sleep schedule's wack as hell and I'm getting more Mad about stupid poo poo than I usually do, and I think I've been skipping meals, too. I had the Scream Stream to work on and distract me last month but now it's just always in the back of my mind.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alzheimer’s is the worst dude, don’t feel bad for the way you’re feeling. Try and do more streams or something creative that might take your mind off it a bit .

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have determined that the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are meticulously constructed such that at any given point in each film, one can leave the theater to buy more soda or use the bathroom and not miss anything substantial

Also, yikes how about that Singapore bit

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Stray thoughts on 7 Faces of Dr. Lao:

- In many ways, this feels like George Pal and M-G-M's answer to Mary Poppins, which was being produced at the same time and came out in the same year.

- This is like "ground zero" of ironic racism as a form of comedy. Park of Lao's characterization is that he only sometimes talks like a chinky Chinaman stereotype when he's trying to gently caress with white people. But then it turns out that he speaks fluent English, and even has kind of a dignified British affectation.

- Following from the former, this is one of the most patronizingly racist movies I've ever seen. Besides the obvious, Dr. Lao is a mystical Chinaman whose entire philosophy and angelic guidance is shaped by European culture, particularly Greco-Roman. The closest we get to anything "oriental" is his guise as the Abominable Snowman, and even then this creature is completely servile. Unlike the other guises, he never exacts justice or leads characters to some personal or spiritual awakening. The mind-boggling thing about it is that there's an early scene where the local newspaper man, after having met Lao, rushes to the library to find books on China to learn something about the Chinese. This is never referenced again, and nothing remotely Chinese or even relatively Asian is ever relevant to the plot or themes of the film. Again, Lao's Chinese-ness is only ever a fulcrum for ironic racism. The man himself is just a completely occidentalized wizard.

- Thematically, the film has a lot in common with It's a Wonderful Life, where Lao represents this messenger of secular, theistic purity who attempts to dissuade this Western town from giving into the whims of a greedy philanthropist.

- As far as a Western, the film is also strangely adjacent to Shane. Lao befriends a small boy who, by the film's end, is running crying into the horizon calling for Lao to please come back, his work now done.

- The character arch of the newspaper man's widowed love interest is that she refuses to love another man until she encounters Lao as the god Pan, who stirs in her a sweaty sexual awakening that makes her realize that, more than her son needing a father, she personally needs some dick. This is the most uncomfortable scene in the film. It goes on forever.

Yeah this all gels with my childhood recall

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

precision posted:

I have determined that the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are meticulously constructed such that at any given point in each film, one can leave the theater to buy more soda or use the bathrooms and go home and not miss anything substantial

Also, yikes how about that Singapore bit

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Watched Inherent Vice today, it was okay...

Then revisited The Addam's Family and it's still good.

Next up: Sicario 2

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any good youtube videos about Yojimbo, or Kurosawa's samurai movies in general?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
YTotD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot_OzUXdi_0

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I'm represented by Steve King and I hate that fucker with the heat of a thousand suns.

Sorry for this non-sequitur. I need to rant.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Harold & Maude is a perfect movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Franchescanado posted:

It's good, but a liiiiitle schmaltzy. I wonder how it would play if it was rescored.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

You know what else is a perfect movie? loving Nashville. Ain't no in CD likes the movie but me.

Also, Rocky.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Babette's Feast is what first comes to mind when I think "perfect movie". Or The Third Man.

Yaws posted:

You know what else is a perfect movie? loving Nashville. Ain't no in CD likes the movie but me.

Also, Rocky.

Literally everyone likes Nashville :confused:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaws posted:

Also, Rocky.

I love Nashville!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's good, but a liiiiitle schmaltzy. I wonder how it would play if it was rescored.

Nah the Cat Stevens songs make it. One of the first popular artists I ever got into.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not everyone has seen Nashville, so that's not true.

I have literally never heard an unkind word about it though.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Badass. Peter Dutton, one of the dumbest and cruelest human beings ever to have lived now has a panopticon on Australia called The Capability

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Personally, if I had to pick what I could consider "perfect" movies, I'd say off the top of my head:
F For Fake
Tokyo Drifter
Hot Fuzz
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Polyester
Nightcrawler

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, what the hell, it's one of the only films I've ever seen almost 100% agreement on around here.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Nashville has hands down the best ending of any movie ever.

That song is just brilliant.

Nashville is one of the best movies ever made.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

Personally, if I had to pick what I could consider "perfect" movies, I'd say off the top of my head:
F For Fake
Tokyo Drifter
Hot Fuzz
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Polyester
Nightcrawler

I'm kind of lukewarm on Tokyo Drifter as a whole but that bar fight scene by itself is worth the price of a purchase.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Perfect movies? Henry Fool, the Royal Tenenbaums, Kurosawa's Dreams, Brokeback Mountain, Do the Right Thing, Dr. Strangelove, Closer, American Psycho, 24 Hour Party People, This is the End, Creed, Control, The Dark Knight, Zodiac, The Third Man, Ghostbusters

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Peccadillo posted:

Badass. Peter Dutton, one of the dumbest and cruelest human beings ever to have lived now has a panopticon on Australia called The Capability

"The Capability" absolutely doesn't sound like a dystopian execution program in any way shape or form.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

precision posted:

Perfect movies? Henry Fool, the Royal Tenenbaums, Kurosawa's Dreams, Brokeback Mountain, Do the Right Thing, Dr. Strangelove, Closer, American Psycho, 24 Hour Party People, This is the End, Creed, Control, The Dark Knight, Zodiac, The Third Man, Ghostbusters

*Nashville

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How do you guys calibrate the picture on your TVs? So far, I've just been using the vanilla "film" setting, but I was wondering if it's worth making more granular adjustments.

CPL593H posted:

I'm kind of lukewarm on Tokyo Drifter as a whole but that bar fight scene by itself is worth the price of a purchase.

I initially read that as Tokyo Story and got incredibly confused.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 4, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

Brokeback Mountain is a pile of poo poo. It's just a bunch of cliched "brave movie" oscar bait trash that everyone patted themselves on the back for watching because it's about queers. Also if I have to see another "homosexuality is tragedy movie" I'm going to loving screen. I hate that movie. I hate everything about it. It's bad.

This is the End is often very funny but also extremely problematic and I'm not sure how to feel about it. On the other hand I really like Forbidden Zone and that movie is all kinds of "not okay".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think calling Do the Right Thing a perfect movie is almost an insult to Do the Right Thing.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Samuel Clemens posted:

How do you guys calibrate the picture on your TVs? So far, I've just been using the vanilla "film" setting, but I was wondering if it's worth making more granular adjustments.

Do you have a Star Wars DVD available? There's THX picture and sound calibration tests built into the special features that make those granular adjustments easy, and I use those standards for my default film settings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

Brokeback Mountain is a pile of poo poo. It's just a bunch of cliched "brave movie" oscar bait trash that everyone patted themselves on the back for watching because it's about queers. Also if I have to see another "homosexuality is tragedy movie" I'm going to loving screen. I hate that movie. I hate everything about it. It's bad.
That's how I felt for a long time, but then it just clicked for me. Especially once I figured out it isn't about two gay men, it's about two people who are hosed up for reasons that include, but go far beyond, their queerness. I'd also argue that Twist is bisexual and Ennis is so emotionally stunted that he's pansexual by default, having never had a chance to resolve his own gender and sexual roles.

Their relationship is so incidentally about sex or romance as most people would define it. I'm not even sure this was intentional, but death of the author and all that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Brokeback Mountain could've used full penetration.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And crime

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vargo posted:

Do you have a Star Wars DVD available? There's THX picture and sound calibration tests built into the special features that make those granular adjustments easy, and I use those standards for my default film settings.

Criterion releases have color bars too.

precision posted:

That's how I felt for a long time, but then it just clicked for me. Especially once I figured out it isn't about two gay men, it's about two people who are hosed up for reasons that include, but go far beyond, their queerness. I'd also argue that Twist is bisexual and Ennis is so emotionally stunted that he's pansexual by default, having never had a chance to resolve his own gender and sexual roles.

Their relationship is so incidentally about sex or romance as most people would define it. I'm not even sure this was intentional, but death of the author and all that.

I mean it's also just a boring movie where character development is almost non-existent and something about the pacing makes it seem like a Cliff Notes version of a larger and maybe even better story.

There was a hate crime which is basically the only point the movie has.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Terrence Malick is exec producing a Lil Peep documentary.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nashville, The Third Man, F for Fake, and Nightcrawler are all great calls for perfect movies. I'd add House and Repo Man which were the two easiest Criterion triggers for me to ever pull.

E: I already feel like a dumbass for not saying Stalker.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 4, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

There was a hate crime which is basically the only point the movie has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buD3IYmlRxQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

I mean it's also just a boring movie where character development is almost non-existent and something about the pacing makes it seem like a Cliff Notes version of a larger and maybe even better story.

I actually kind of agree with this - I'd want a version that's at least 7 or 8 hours long in order to really unpack the themes.

I still think it's perfect, though, because it so well suggests such vast depth so economically.