Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I mean it's also just a boring movie where character development is almost non-existent and something about the pacing makes it seem like a Cliff Notes version of a larger and maybe even better story.

Have you read the original short story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yaws posted:

I'm represented by Steve King and I hate that fucker with the heat of a thousand suns.

Sorry for this non-sequitur. I need to rant.

I lived in Dubuque for eight years, and I spent every minute of his time in office hating every fiber of his being. I hear you.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Taika Waititi's Boy is a perfect 90 minutes of film. Like pristine.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Taika Waititi's Boy is a perfect 90 minutes of film. Like pristine.

But how does it compare to Cam'Ron's Oh Boy ft Juelz Santana?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I Before E posted:

Personally, if I had to pick what I could consider "perfect" movies, I'd say off the top of my head:
F For Fake

Agreed. I'd add...

Amadeus
The Blues Brothers
The Passion of Joan of Arc
A Hard Day's Night
Dr. Strangelove

I'm hesitant to add such a new movie, but Phantom Thread is still sticking around in my head.

Samuel Clemens posted:

How do you guys calibrate the picture on your TVs? So far, I've just been using the vanilla "film" setting, but I was wondering if it's worth making more granular adjustments.

I use my Apple TV and iPhone with the THX Optimizer app. You can point the camera at the screen for adjustments that it shows live.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Taika plays a pirate dad who moonlights as Michael Jackson in his son's dreams. The movie rips as the kids say.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Night of the Hunter is perfect.

I know people like to rag on the over-explaining at the end, but I think Psycho is a perfect film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

The Night of the Hunter is perfect.

I know people like to rag on the over-explaining at the end, but I think Psycho is a perfect film.

Yeah, that's another one.

I agree that the explanation at the end of Psycho is necessary because it's Hitchcock pulling the rug out one more time. You have this guy explaining exactly what happened, but it only makes it more horrifying.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Timby posted:

The post you quoted literally says "Crystal City, Virgina." :v:

DC proper is very, very small (like 68 square miles), so pretty much everyone who works there lives in Virginia or Baltimore (or one of its suburbs like Bethesda). Like, the Department of Defense and I think the CIA are headquartered in Crystal City, and Reagan International Airport (which is always considered a DC airport along with Dulles) is there, too.

Arlington’s really weird with geography. I could be wrong, but I think Crystal City is one of those ambiguous city-burb things like Rosslyn or Falls Church or Clarendon. All of that is still pretty much Virginia territory.

I’ve lived here a year now and I still haven’t quite figured it out.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pentagon is in DC proper, but the CIA isn’t stationed there.

Nah, Pentagon is in Arlington. Close enough that it doesn’t really matter, but still.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 4, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friends Are Evil posted:

Arlington’s really weird with geography. I could be wrong, but I think Crystal City is one of those ambiguous city-burb things like Rosslyn or Falls Church or Clarendon. All of that is still pretty much Virginia territory.

It very much is. Arlington County is basically just a giant extension of DC, in large part due to the mass transit; Metro has very heavily connected bus and train lines. Baltimore to DC basically has the MARC light rail and an Amtrak every 30 minutes during mornings and evenings; I'd kill myself if I had to make that drive twice daily. But Arlington is the same kind of heavily concentrated area because something like a million people work in DC on a daily basis.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I Before E posted:

Have you read the original short story?

I didn't even know it was an adaptation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

I didn't even know it was an adaptation.

The story is even more sparse on detail. The film consists of like 95% new material.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ghostbusters is a perfect movie. 40 Year Old Virgin is a perfect movie. Party Down is a perfect TV show.

Yaws posted:

I'm represented by Steve King and I hate that fucker with the heat of a thousand suns.

Sorry for this non-sequitur. I need to rant.

go knock doors for Scholten! I would but I'm in eastern Iowa (i got a text asking if i want to canvass for Dave Loebsack but homie really doesn't need my help), but I donated a bunch of money (relative to how much money i have anyways) to him because he is basically the worst person in politics and that's a pretty remarkable achievement these days

my grandparents who are pretty conservative (in a more libertarian way, they hate trump but also never vote for democrats) think he's a loving idiot and i'm holding onto hope until Tuesday night that JD can actually pull this off. he's peaking at the right time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

Alzheimer’s is the worst dude, don’t feel bad for the way you’re feeling. Try and do more streams or something creative that might take your mind off it a bit .

Yeah I dunno, I think I've stretched avoidance as far as it's gonna go on this one.

precision posted:

Perfect movies? Henry Fool, the Royal Tenenbaums, Kurosawa's Dreams, Brokeback Mountain, Do the Right Thing, Dr. Strangelove, Closer, American Psycho, 24 Hour Party People, This is the End, Creed, Control, The Dark Knight, Zodiac, The Third Man, Ghostbusters

If you asked anywhere but these forums Shawshank would be on that list.

Is Die Hard a perfect movie? I know Mad Max Fury road is, but what about Die Hard?

If Kevin Spacey wasn't a child rapist I'd probably nominate LA Confidential too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lurdiak posted:

If you asked anywhere but these forums Shawshank would be on that list.

Is Die Hard a perfect movie? I know Mad Max Fury road is, but what about Die Hard?

If Kevin Spacey wasn't a child rapist I'd probably nominate LA Confidential too.

Yeah, Shawshank, Die Hard and LA Confidential would probably make my shortlist, but you raise an interesting question about the "perfect" criteria.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think a perfect movie has to be a movie where none of your enjoyment is ironic and there are no obvious flaws to point to. A film that is flawless in its execution but still has a distinct voice. Where no scene feels like it could be cut.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lurdiak posted:

I think a perfect movie has to be a movie where none of your enjoyment is ironic and there are no obvious flaws to point to. A film that is flawless in its execution but still has a distinct voice. Where no scene feels like it could be cut.

So New Jack City?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

So... Miami Connection?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You are deliberately misrepresenting my position in order to expose me to ridicule.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I Before E posted:

Personally, if I had to pick what I could consider "perfect" movies, I'd say off the top of my head:

A couple I think of as basically perfect:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
Sleuth

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
And still no one said Blade Runner.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

So... Miami Connection?

he said non ironic

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

banned from Starbucks posted:

he said non ironic
I wasn't being ironic. :colbert:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There is one scene in Usual Suspects that sticks out badly for me so it can’t count.
Seconding The Royal Tenenbaums, Third Man, LA Confidential
There Will Be Blood
The Man Who Wasn’t There
Wonder Boys (amazing film that I don’t think has ever been mentioned here)
Addams Family Values
Paddington
Toy Story 1-3
Oslo, August 31

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I love Conan - The Barbarian more than I love my sons but it's not quite a perfect movie. Same with pretty much all of my other favorite movies, they all have one flaw or the other, are too much a product of their time, too much nostalgia involved in judging them, and so on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So many of these are clearly y'all's favorite movies that also have tons of flaws. I mean come on, Ghostbusters? It's a fun flick, but it's a total mess that works despite itself. It's basically a series of wacky ghost-based sketches strung together by a weak story. Most of the sketches work like, ehem, gangbusters, but there's plenty in that movie that falls flat.

e: I agree with a handful of these, though. And I'll second LA Confidential after rewatching it last night. Even with Kevin Spacey, since he plays such a scumbag that knows he's a bad person that it borders on deepening the material. It's like if they'd ended up casting OJ Simpson as the Terminator.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 4, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

So many of these are clearly y'all's favorite movies that also have tons of flaws. I mean come on, Ghostbusters? It's a fun flick, but it's a total mess that works despite itself. It's basically a series of wacky ghost-based sketches strung together by a weak story. Most of the sketches work like, ehem, gangbusters, but there's plenty in that movie that falls flat

Your mother falls flat.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Raid: Redemption is a flawless movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In all seriousness, I consider Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park to be "perfect" movies. The first Godfather, too, as well as Alien. All of them have some weird flaws that stick out a bit when you think of them (like the T-Rex's paddock suddenly becoming a huge cliff in Jurassic Park), but they're so well-made that when you're watching, it never comes to you because the movie is so engrossing.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The perfect movie? Probably the scenes that play in my head while reading The Bible

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Any Time Bandits fans here?

https://twitter.com/0tralala/status/1059027471239143424

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Eh. Put on a Secret of the Ooze t-shirt and then we're cookin'

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

You are deliberately misrepresenting my position in order to expose me to ridicule.

I actually unironically agree with Miami connection guy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The perfect movie has got to be Alien right?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Perfect movies for me would be Inglorious Basterds (I actually like Pulp Fiction more but the dns scene is hard to defend), Repulsion, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Act of Killing, Dr Strangelove, Gremlins 2, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Seventh Seal, Mad Max: Fury Road, Black Swan, The Maltese Falcon, Evil Dead 2 and Princess Mononoke

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also dickeye the new rules tell me that I should remind you to not engage Lurdiak in any way please

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If we’re talking unironic appreciation and no scene needing to be cut, I’m gonna go with Premium Rush and Die Hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

And still no one said Blade Runner.

Oh, good call. That'd make my list, though probably only the director's cut.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It really says a lot that the only times The Simpsons is notable these days is when they're being especially terrible or when they get guest directors like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyKtpRS7kR8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

axelblaze posted:

Also dickeye the new rules tell me that I should remind you to not engage Lurdiak in any way please

The new rules can suck my friend dickeyes rear end, they weren't trying to start poo poo for once

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)