Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

To the people questioning Disney's business decisions, it's obvious that it's about control and power and not direct and immediate monetary income. They want to own all the media and decide who sees it and when. That's been their very obvious plan for the last 20 years as they continue extending copyright and slowly acquire every IP like a katamari running through a top 100 movies list.

Once they own a large enough percentage of that pie, they can do whatever the gently caress they want and dictate prices and people will just have to put up with it because they own everything everyone wants to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone else see a legit possibility of Disney basically ending popular cinema and the Hollywood studio system?

Like, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they eventually snap up everything even remotely on their level... and then burn it all out through mismanagement. Star Wars has already hit diminishing returns, Marvel's about to hit a turning point after which basically everything is an unknown quantity (and there's a whole lot of room for them to gently caress up), and the first thing they've done with DisneyFox is light the fuse on a PR nailbomb and toss it out. They think they can do no wrong, essentially, and that people are just gonna put up with whatever bullshit they pull, but... if they're wrong, and they find out they're wrong after they've already eaten most of Hollywood, they're basically going to turbofuck a very large chunk of the American film industry for a very very long time.

e: I mean, who's even left of the majors? Isn't it literally just Sony, WB, NBCUniversal, and Disney now? And NBCUniversal is basically the only one of those I can't see Disney trying to eat; greater Sony would probably be pretty happy to sell Sony Pictures off and WB, from what I gather, has been barely hanging on from the occasional big hit.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 23, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does anyone else see a legit possibility of Disney basically ending popular cinema and the Hollywood studio system?

Like, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they eventually snap up everything even remotely on their level... and then burn it all out through mismanagement. Star Wars has already hit diminishing returns, Marvel's about to hit a turning point after which basically everything is an unknown quantity (and there's a whole lot of room for them to gently caress up), and the first thing they've done with DisneyFox is light the fuse on a PR nailbomb and toss it out. They think they can do no wrong, essentially, and that people are just gonna put up with whatever bullshit they pull, but... if they're wrong, and they find out they're wrong after they've already eaten most of Hollywood, they're basically going to turbofuck a very large chunk of the American film industry for a very very long time.

e: I mean, who's even left of the majors? Isn't it literally just Sony, WB, NBCUniversal, and Disney now? And NBCUniversal is basically the only one of those I can't see Disney trying to eat; greater Sony would probably be pretty happy to sell Sony Pictures off and WB, from what I gather, has been barely hanging on from the occasional big hit.

Paramount! :cripes:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
DisneyWorld Universal Studios Orlando

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oh yeah, they're pretty much guaranteed to be devoured.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Envisioning a Baby Bells scenario but it's genre-driven Disney castoffs.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Any Swedes here?

I almost never post (mostly because I have hangups about posting unless I'm fully caught up and that only happens like a few times every week at which point whatever I wanted to post has already been said, or the conversation has moved on). But yeah, I'm in Gothenburg, AMA.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They're already well on the way considering the multiplexes are perpetually cluttered up with spandex fightmans and cartoons. All this other garbage is just the cat turd on the poo poo sundae.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If the Superhero bubble bursts as suddenly and violently as most bubbles burst, it will have pretty devestating effects on the industry. What happens when Disney had like 5 trillion in 5 years worth of Superhero films and then all of a sudden no one's interested, and that's most of what the company that owns 60% of entertainment has coming up?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Same as always. We'll get a weird release that reinvigorates things in another direction and the house of mouse will play catch up until they remember their core business is well crafted stories that ape Ashman.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

axelblaze posted:

If the Superhero bubble bursts as suddenly and violently as most bubbles burst, it will have pretty devestating effects on the industry. What happens when Disney had like 5 trillion in 5 years worth of Superhero films and then all of a sudden no one's interested, and that's most of what the company that owns 60% of entertainment has coming up?

It all depends on how much people in China like superhero movies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

axelblaze posted:

The bubbles not going to burst. Look at how cautious they were with Star Wars when Solo flopped. If a movie flops they'll just cancel Dickwad Man or whatever bottom of the barrel poo poo theyre currently at just like they did the Obi Wan movie and reboot Spiderman for the 8th time. Its not like Daredevil or the Fantastic 4 flop popped the bubble. It'll slowly get less popular sure but its not like people will stop eating this poo poo up overnight while 9 movies are in production and suddenly Disney loses all their money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

axelblaze posted:

You might as well be waiting for the "TV show about solving crimes" bubble to burst.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tiger posted:

I almost never post (mostly because I have hangups about posting unless I'm fully caught up and that only happens like a few times every week at which point whatever I wanted to post has already been said, or the conversation has moved on). But yeah, I'm in Gothenburg, AMA.

Do you know who Per Morberg is?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Recognised the name, had to Google to remind me what exactly he'd done. I think I've seen one of the Beck movies but that's about it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I had to google his name, but I recognise his distinct looking face. He's kind of a household name if you watch swedish telly

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yo, Mortal Kombat 11 is pretty awesome.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're Swedish too, McCloud?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/1120521619297001472

drat, sounds like I need to stop by grandma’s house and grab a diaper before I go to the cinema!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

His wife just died and he has been having a really rough time with it, so should go easy on him for what is essentially just a Bad Movie Take. But yeah, I think he actually said anything pre-1975 wasn't a "movie" by modern standards, with the strange exception of 12 Angry Men (cause he likes that one basically). He actually went on to make a movie, Hectic Knife, that got picked up for distribution by Troma.

That whole debacle (which happened six years ago now, holy poo poo) did however inspire this wonderful response: http://smugfilm.com/a-rebuttal-to-the-idea-of-what-a-movie-is/

Jesus, that’s awful, I hope he’s doing okay.

Egbert Souse posted:

Legal and copyright issues aside, show the films anyway, send Disney a check, and tell them to gently caress off.

Unfortunately Disney, the company that’s sued preschools for drawings of Mickey Mouse on their buildings, will probably not accept a check any rep theater can send. Disney’s legal ethos can be summed up by big bill hell’s; “don’t gently caress with us or we’ll rip your nuts off.”

CPL593H posted:

I will never get to see Freddy Got Fingered in a movie theater. I just don't understand why they're telling people who will give them money to play the movies to gently caress off. Is there some overhead on this?

It’s all about the exclusivity. When Michael Eisner took over as Disney’s CEO, one of Disney’s big things was re-releasing a movie from their vaults to theaters for the Christmas season (iirc the year he took over, the film was Pinocchio and it was Disney’s top-grossing release, they were in dire straits.) It took a lot of convincing to get Disney to release their animated classics on VHS.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The one-off Star Wars film with a troubled production flopped, but it’s too early to say if Star Wars has truly hit diminishing returns, at least until Rise of Skywalker comes out. Marvel’s got such a locked groove that the movies basically direct themselves and people will still flock to the theaters to see them, they know they’re not going to gently caress it up.

axelblaze posted:

I think the superhero bubble will burst, but as a cascading effect from any one of our other bubbles bursting (student loans, healthcare, housing, Silicon Valley).

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I think the superhero bubble will burst, but as a cascading effect from any one of our other bubbles bursting (student loans, healthcare, housing, Silicon Valley).

There's a non-zero chance that we'll have to watch Trump explain why Marvel Studios is getting a $5 billion bailout.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Unfortunately Disney, the company that’s sued preschools for drawings of Mickey Mouse on their buildings, will probably not accept a check any rep theater can send. Disney’s legal ethos can be summed up by big bill hell’s; “don’t gently caress with us or we’ll rip your nuts off.”

Obviously, my suggestion isn't exactly legal, but yeah.

More reason why I feel vindicated for collecting physical media.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tiger posted:

You're Swedish too, McCloud?

For a given value of "swedish" sure :v:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

banned from Starbucks posted:

The bubbles not going to burst. Look at how cautious they were with Star Wars when Solo flopped. If a movie flops they'll just cancel Dickwad Man or whatever bottom of the barrel poo poo theyre currently at just like they did the Obi Wan movie and reboot Spiderman for the 8th time. Its not like Daredevil or the Fantastic 4 flop popped the bubble. It'll slowly get less popular sure but its not like people will stop eating this poo poo up overnight while 9 movies are in production and suddenly Disney loses all their money.

Just let a man dream okay?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I sometimes wish that the rumors of Walt having his brain frozen to be brought back to life when possible were true, because given his whole thing about artistic excellence over everything else, the first thing he'd do upon being resurrected would be to murder several high ranking people at Disney.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

, because given his whole thing about artistic excellence over everything else,

how does that match with telling animators to trace over previous animation to save money

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay everyone. Who wants to join me on my darkest journey?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mordiceius posted:

Okay everyone. Who wants to join me on my darkest journey?

I'm intrigued.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I sometimes wish that the rumors of Walt having his brain frozen to be brought back to life when possible were true, because given his whole thing about artistic excellence over everything else, the first thing he'd do upon being resurrected would be to murder several high ranking people at Disney.

I heard they renamed The Snow Queen as Frozen so that it’s the only google result when you search “Walt Disney frozen” and that conspiracy would die out

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m planning on watching every live action theatrical and direct-to-video film based off video games in chronological order based on time of release.

And then I’m going to rank them.

Currently, I’m leaning toward sticking only to live action films. And only fiction films. No documentaries.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yeah, and I think this is important. The end of the superhero genre's dominance is going to need to rely on a number of factors both within and out of film:

1. The strength of the economy. Could another recession hurt theaters to the degree that even Marvel films begin underperforming or tanking? Does it hurt smaller films to the point that studios begin pumping more and more into their big tentpole action releases only to then force the audience fatigue we keep predicting?

2. Something to replace it. We're going to need another major trend or genre to usurp the superhero genre. Do we return to the era of RomCom Box Office dominance? Acid-throwback experiential sci fi? Theatrical Releases of YouTube Let's Plays and Unboxing videos? Part of the superhero bubble bursting will require something to dethrone it, otherwise the industry itself just dies.

3. The relevancy of Hollywood and the theatrical experience itself. We're still in the birth of the streaming era, how will theatrical exhibition hold up? What is going to happen when DisneyPlus launches, how will Netflix respond? Will the feature film itself still hold cultural cache in 20 years? The current generation is now growing up with YouTube and Twitch as their go to reference for visual media, how many of them are going to think about Movies the way we think about them? What influence is the YouTube editing and distribution style going to having to for feature film?

4. How will ideological trends hold up? Hollywood films are often about mythmaking and we don't need another rehash of the superhero/authoritarian analysis debates in these forums, but will cultural shifts push us toward different kinds of entertainment? War movies and westerns were vital for an early Hollywood coming of age in between two World Wars and the dawn of the American Superpower. The sixties spawned a wave of experimental filmmaking and sexual liberation seeping into the mainstream and the dire economy of the 70's gave us the New Hollywood. The Reaganite 80s coincided with the Blockbuster era, and the superhero genre may very well be a symptom of the neoliberal era continuously circling the drain post-9/11. If the country movies left, what would say, a Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren presidency mean for pop culture tastes? What will a second Trump term inspire? These things correlate.

5. The long lasting ramifications of the Disney/Fox merger and any future mergers among other major studios. Like, duh, but still I don't think we have a clue yet what this is really going to look like in 10 years.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mordiceius posted:

I’m planning on watching every live action theatrical and direct-to-video film based off video games in chronological order based on time of release.

And then I’m going to rank them.

Currently, I’m leaning toward sticking only to live action films. And only fiction films. No documentaries.

I will save you a bunch of time.

1) Mortal Kombat
2) the rest of it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If Warren is somehow elected president she's talked about breaking up the tech monopolies so I can't imagine she's thrilled about the Disney/Fox merger.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think the influence of YouTube, Tik Tok, Snapchat, Twitch, etc etc is underrated in how it's going to impact narrative filmmaking and that we take for granted that the 80-180 minute feature film is going to remain forever relevant.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like the rise of the streaming miniseries will have a bigger impact than that tbh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ang Lee is directing Will Smith in Gemini Man which is about an aging assassin who must evade being killed by his younger self, who knows his every move.

welp

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Shoulda named it Erpool.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I hope Will Smith kills the Gemini Man so that can finally beat Needle Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I will save you a bunch of time.

1) Mortal Kombat
2) the rest of it

Street Fighter is inarguably a worse movie on almost every technical level, but it is somehow also ten times better than Mortal Kombat just based on how gonzo it is.