Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

This sounds like my dream movie. I didn't even realize this existed until just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I love that Robert Eggers’ devotion to obscure outdated dialects remains. It’s such a small detail that really adds a lot of characterization.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All I needed to know about The Lighthouse was the cast and the title. Everything else since has just been gravy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

“That’s the closest I’ve come to punching a director,” Pattinson said. “However much I love Robert [Eggers], there was a point where I did five takes walking across the beach, and after a while I was like, ‘What the gently caress is going on? I feel like you’re just spraying a fire hose in my face.’ And he was like, ‘I am spraying a fire hose in your face.'” :allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I saw one photo of Dafoe and Pattinson being crusty seamen and I was already sold.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I have to say how surreal it is to see a pitch perfect Flex Mentallo on screen.

I watched the Danny episode yesterday and was blown away

Sometimes you make a show about a sentient genderqueer street that's a home for queer people who can't be themselves in society with a rousing rendition of people like us and sometimes the Brendan Frasier robot manages to be the least interesting thing about a show

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 19, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Me: wait doesn't this start with north and south america

Ten seconds later oh Jesus gently caress I knew it poo poo gently caress poo poo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Doom Patrol is tremendous

Also saw John Wick 3, extremely good and I got some class warfare subtext out of it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ChickenMedium posted:

Madonna boycotting might make a statement even if she's completely washed up at this point. Some obscure Icelandic band boycotting would just get replaced by some other act and no one would even know about it. What they did and how they did it was absolutely the right way to go.

https://twitter.com/WaladShami/status/1129900383227265024?s=19

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

One of the great things about that video is all the people in the comments noting all the countries that they missed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doom Patrol is tremendous

Also saw John Wick 3, extremely good and I got some class warfare subtext out of it

The original pitch was literally about the Bowery and the working class crime people revolting

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Wick 3 gets better every time I think about it. Want to see it again real bad.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Last week my partner and I were watching John Wick 2 and when Lawrence Fishburne showed up she exclaimed “oh poo poo, it’s, it’s Daddy Matrix!”

She also kept asking me what kind of sentimental cell phone video I’d like her to shoot for when after she’s dead, which is blackly funny for a suicide risk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did this one get posted yet?

https://twitter.com/taika_waititi/status/1129445901230006272

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/fuckinalpamare/status/1129952794851594240?s=19

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
We have Avengers Endgame, a 3 week break, Pokemon, John Wick, then next week Aladdin, then Godzilla 2, then Dark Phoenix (which I predict failure) and Secret Life of Pets 2, then Men In Black International and later Toy Story 4

This is a crowded time man. I'm kind of concerned for Godzilla 2 as I want that to kick rear end so we can get Godzilla vs Kong

There's like nothing for the last 2 weeks of June. Maybe of those should move down there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Godzilla Vs Kong is almost done filming, so we’re getting it no matter what

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last I heard GvKG is done filming.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I’m gonna take a perhaps way too optimistic gamble and say that Godzilla 2 cleans house

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Godzilla will do fine, it’s the sort of huge spectacle that will play crazy well internationally and will open big domestically at the very least

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wait, is the new Godzilla coming out this summer not the Kong Skull Island sequel?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New Godzilla looks cool but the trailer isn't doing it for me like Godzilla 2014 which got me mega hype. Just looks like so much busy CGI.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

veni veni veni posted:

New Godzilla looks cool but the trailer isn't doing it for me like Godzilla 2014 which got me mega hype. Just looks like so much busy CGI.

At least it looks like something happens in this one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Godzilla in 2 weeks, G vs Kong next year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wait, is the new Godzilla coming out this summer not the Kong Skull Island sequel?

It's part of the MonsterVerse, a direct sequel to Godzilla '14 and in the same universe as Skull Island. That's why we're getting Godzilla vs. Kong next August.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gatts posted:

We have Avengers Endgame, a 3 week break, Pokemon, John Wick, then next week Aladdin, then Godzilla 2, then Dark Phoenix (which I predict failure) and Secret Life of Pets 2, then Men In Black International and later Toy Story 4

This is a crowded time man. I'm kind of concerned for Godzilla 2 as I want that to kick rear end so we can get Godzilla vs Kong

There's like nothing for the last 2 weeks of June. Maybe of those should move down there.

I prefer they just get all the garbage out of the way so maybe something worth watching will have a chance of being in the theater for more than two loving weeks because they need three screens for all this other poo poo.

edit: Other than John Wick. John Wick rules.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 20, 2019

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

April into Mid-May were an absolute deadzone for major releases if you don’t care about Marvel, and now mid-May into June is just packed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lurdiak posted:

At least it looks like something happens in this one.

gently caress outta here, Godzilla vomited atomic fire into the mouth of a monster until it's head came off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Goggins is a Jawbreaker fan, dope

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxkcFX-BtRv/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Double feature idea after finally seeing my first Powell and Pressburger joint: The Red Shoes (1948) / Suspiria (2018)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
asmr of the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD1pmxkQ0Po

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baron von Eevl posted:

gently caress outta here, Godzilla vomited atomic fire into the mouth of a monster until it's head came off.

After 16 hours of a soldier wandering around.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

After 16 hours of a soldier wandering around.

Made it worth it.

Don’t @me I will not accept it

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Godzilla 2014 is good, as are most Godzillas.

Kong: Skull Island rocked my face so hard it broke my view that cinematic universes are always bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Godzilla 2014 has maybe the worst human characters of any monster movie and also regular movie ever.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
This was a very good movie about two gormless shitheads with that weird miserable Eastern European aura a bunch of Australian movies have for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwJ5LDOl2Tc

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Crime movies in the nineties were all basically Ben Mendlesohn's part from Killing Them Softly and often starred Ben Mendlesohn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SaYWSKoncg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYYPpanQJw

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
LORD OF BOOTY, rewatch Gremlins and Gremlins 2 and realize that Gremlins is janky as all gently caress, and the only reason you think otherwise is nostalgia. The first half feels like a completely different movie that Joe Dante really doesn’t want to make, and the second half is what he wanted to make. Gremlins has so much tonal whiplash, and learning it was written as a 2:30 movie sheds so much light on why Gremlins is so janky. Gremlins 2, on the other hand, hangs together so much better on a rewatch, when you understand the structure of the film and how much work is actually put into foreshadowing and extended gags. Also Gremlins 2 features a Gremlin firing an Uzi.

Gatts posted:

MIB is probably also going to underperform, and I want to say Aladdin will too, but the nostalgia pull might overcome how lazy all the trailers work.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah after like 1:45 of some boring rear end dude staring into the middle distance.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd always figured Gremlins was janky because Dante wanted to do one movie, was handed the Watch the Skies script by Spielberg, and had to wrestle it into what he wanted to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I wonder if horror ET would have been basically Gremlins with aliens or if we'd have gotten something completely different.