Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ground floor mother fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I already miss the old thread :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Perfect movies for me would be Inglorious Basterds (I actually like Pulp Fiction more but the dns scene is hard to defend), Repulsion, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Act of Killing, Dr Strangelove, Gremlins 2, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Seventh Seal, Mad Max: Fury Road, Black Swan, The Maltese Falcon, Evil Dead 2 and Princess Mononoke

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also dickeye the new rules tell me that I should remind you to not engage Lurdiak in any way please

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It really says a lot that the only times The Simpsons is notable these days is when they're being especially terrible or when they get guest directors like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyKtpRS7kR8

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

If there is indeed a difference between a perfect and a favourite film, the much more interesting question would be: Which film do you consider perfect but don't actually like?

Probably Alien

Though "dislike" is a bit strong. It's a movie that I can find no fault with at all other than it mysteriously doesn't grab me for reasons I've never been able to explain. It leads to the weird thing that while I think Alien is objectively the far superior film by all metrics, I still enjoy Prometheus more.

On the other hand I do consider Aliens to be pretty much perfect and love the hell out of it.

Also Stalker. I can't fault it but I just found it a bit dull.

Can't think of one I outright dislike though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Newspiria turned out to be a little more Tarantino-esque than I ever would have predicted

Well now you're just trying to set me up to be disappointed

CPL593H posted:

That's odd, we're all still here.

I'm Jewish so no surprise there for me. Plus I'm just a terrible sinner all around

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If I had to pick one short film I'd consider perfect and possibly the best of all time I'd probably go with Duck Amuck

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

Not The Procedure?

That's perfect in it's way but it's pretty much a perfect execution of a simple absurd idea while Duck Amuck is a perfect implementation of dozens of complex absurd ideas.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I really need to watch Homicide again. I haven't watched it since it aired and I only recall small bits and pieces. The first episode I watched was the one where Pembleton had a stroke and that left a hell of an impression on me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

If anyone feels like becoming infuriated today, check out the Movie Details subreddit where morons pat themselves on the back for noticing the most basic of details about films and misread the meaning and intention of scenes.

Eh, seems pretty harmless, especially as far as subreddits go

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'm not sure if that is backing up or contradicting my post

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was not expecting this direction for Poppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQsxWKfTSU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Did you recognize his dick?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Someone laughing to hard at a movie or doing so at inappropriate times, like when someone is singing along too loud and off key at a concert, is one of those things you just have to suck up if it's annoying you, because you are pretty easily the lovely killjoy in the situation no matter how you try to justify the other person or people just not getting it.

Also that scene in Mandy that was brought up is in fact kind of god damned ridiculous and laughing at it doesn't even feel like it wasn't at least one of the intended reactions.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Remember when, at the height of their influence, both Colbert and Stewart held a literal "both extremes are equal and maybe the truth is in the middle" rally? That sure was a giant embaressing waste of everybody's time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Somehow fell like 20 pages behind and was catching up but got tired of it and now here I am to ask if anyone can think of a good name for the Secret Santa thread? I might be able to come up with something but honestly I'm amazed I came up with as many as I did, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm late as I am every year but here is the CineD Secret Santa Thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874788

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nevermind: post was never minded

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Aquaman seems to be a movie that they are making out of obligation rather than because anyone wants it. I know Aquaman has it's fans and the comic is often supposed to be legit but that just doesn't change that the public perception of the character at best is "meh" so I can't imagine this doing that well. What the hell do I know though?

Unrelated, I missed this because I've actively ignored the show for years, but I'm actually kind of gobsmacked to hear that South Park did a two part episode basically apologizing for being so wrong about Climate Change for so long. Still not gonna watch the show or even give them much credit, but you rarely see their type admit they were wrong so it's still nice.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man oh man was Avengers 3 not better than the other Avengers movie, so far it's the only Marvel movie bad enough to make me mad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I like the resurgence of relatively 'hard' sci-fi, even if the tradeoff is a lot of bad Star Wars junk.

I think Arrival doing well (I assume better than expected) will lead to some dope scifi movies before like three of them inevitably bomb horribly in a row and Hollywood mostly gives up on the genre for ten years or do.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Even if you do think it's an anomaly or not representative of the larger cinematic universe, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is just undeniably a good movie. It's not perfect movie, but someone's opinion of it is a real good way to tell if they just have a set opinion about Marvel movies and won't change it regardless of the actual movies' quality.

I like GoTG2 but this is a really weird take. Opinions of that movie, even with Marvel fans, is pretty mixed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The main thing I can say against GotG2 is there's an Adventure Time episode with basically the same plot but they managed to do it better in 15 minutes

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Adventure Time sucks and is up its own rear end.

Nope

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me Adventure Time was just a show that somehow always did what it wanted. It didn't always work but I never found it bad and the creativity was always there, it's just the tone shifted as Finn got older. I know at times it was more of a series of animated indie shorts but I hope I at least still have enough of a presence on these forums for y'all to know why that would heavily appeal to me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I realized you probably thought I was talking about Finn when I said they did the same story but no Jake also had a lovely dad, but there he was literally a long living alien that lures Jake in with a planet he controls in order to get his power to extend his life. I do agree that didn't have much to do with the long term effects that would have (because Jake didn't know he was adopted at all) but a metric ton of Finn's stuff is him dealing with having no strong family unit and dealing with not knowing who either of his real parent are.

Gripweed posted:

I stopped watching after the episode where Finn got raped

People really need to stop using rape to describe things that are not rape. He made out with a girl that was more into him than he was into her. She didn't force him, he was just in a bad place and trying to get over it by just making out with people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not attacking you. I just didn’t like it after a while.

I don't know where I'm coming off like I think you're attacking me? I'm just saying why I liked the show. You assume I'm hostile oddly often.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like the bar is low when "well, this Marvel movie actually has themes" is justification for calling it objectively good.

The list of movies about your parents or lack thereof loving you up is endless.

edit: This is the entirety of the Venture Bros for one, to bring a different animated series into the discussion.

Yeah, this really has become the theme way over the early stated one of "failure". It was honestly kind of funny to see the VB community slowly realize that maybe the show had moved on from that theme and maybe they should stop using it as the catch all answer to every episode

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I don't even know if Venture Brothers counts as a TV show. TV shows have schedules. Venture Brothers is a thing you remember every couple years and check and sometimes there's another couple hours of it available, sometimes not.

Hey at least this cycle we also got a really amazing artbook! That almost makes up for the fact that it'll probably be at least 3 years until we get any more!

:negative:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do legit wonder how much of Cruise being horrible is him being completely brainwashed by a horrible cult with weird lovely beliefs. Like out of all the famous Scientologists, Cruise always seemed in the deepest.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm only basing this on Nathan Rabin's review of her book but I think Leah Ramini basically got out by willingly revealing anything Scientology had on her and then just fighting them at every turn when they tried other techniques. She has the money to ward off their bullshit and she's not willing to be quiet about any of it so I think these days they're mainly reactive to her

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The other thing with Scientology is it's like specifically made to appeal to people with mental illness. Like one of it's central tenants is that all mental illness and bad feeling are caused by alien ghosts. To someone that wants to think they are in full control of themselves, it makes you feel way better if you can convince yourself that all your problems are being caused by an single external force rather than being forced to accept there's some parts of you that are not working correctly and you need help. From everything I know about Cruise (which admittedly still isn't that much), you can see why this whole thing would just dig itself completely into his particular brain.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Tyler Perry is playing Colin Powell in that Adam McKay Cheney movie!?!?!? That is unbelievably amazing casting

There are so many ways this movie could just gently caress everything up but they really are giving the impression they know what they're. The fact that Jordan Peterson just wrote an article about how much he hates the movie which has been getting a lot of attention do to National Review using the twitter headline "The same Left that despises President Trump despised George W. Bush long before him" is just adding to the movie's cred

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It was Ben Shapiro, not Peterson

I feel no shame getting this wrong

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This will probably be first of many reminders to sign up for CineD Secret Santa if you can. tia

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Give him time

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
C'mon, I'm kind of lukewarm on Nirvana but Nirvana at their most relevant was WAY more relevant than Eminem will ever be.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like I'm not saying Eminem isn't relevant but you are comparing him to one of the most influential names in Rock history. There was a time when literally no one was more relevant than them in music . Whether they deserved to be that influential is another topic but they pretty much determined the trends in music and style for a good part of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Strong disagree.

Yeah, i loving loved season 11. I was really pleased how it turned out and the movie selection was great