Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
alright y’all who’s gonna stop posting, we always have one or two who stop posting when there’s a new chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’M DOING MY POST!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

K. Waste posted:

Okay, GenChat, tonight is one of those "the end of Halloween doesn't mean the end of the Halloween spirit" type of nights, so what am I watching tonight?

Incident in a Ghostland (2018) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66JuZ1cb03E

The Beast with Five Fingers (1946) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWtEWlTm-8

The Power (1968) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvCz9FmiIA4

7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvqqD8kVw0

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8FLz1IWhc

7 Faces of Dr Lao is a movie from my childhood that I don’t remember and it’s probably real racist, so that one.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Budgie Jumping posted:

Wowee zowee this thread's movin' fast.

It always does whenever a new thread starts, we gotta break it in.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

I'm open to suggestions for a Thanksgiving-related CineD name change

My idea was CineDressing, but I feel like it's lame. :(

Thankskilling

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Peccadillo posted:

... The pentagon's still a thing right? I think that's where the CIA is at

Is that in Virginia?

Go off I guess, the united states of america

Pentagon is in DC proper, but the CIA isn’t stationed there.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Lots of people missing Fargo as a perfect movie smdh

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
A couple favorite YouTube’s of mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6d3h-NpS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Bigamist, No Money Down, Sin In The Suburbs

I just watched The Bigamist this weekend, between it and The Hitch-Hiker, I’m willing to say: Ida Lupino’s hella good.

Skwirl posted:

I think we have Dickeye to thank for both of those entering our collective consciousness. Surviving Edged Weapons is definitely because of Dickeye, and the first time I saw Hauntedween was on Dickstream, but maybe other people about it beforehand.

Hi yes me and fishbulb were the ones that introduced Dickeye to Hauntedween, because we saw it at the local Drafthouse for $1.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Bigamist doesn't actually count, it takes place almost entirely in the city. But yeah Ida Lupino rules.

Just taking a look at her IMDB page, she only directed one movie longer than 90 minutes. That owns.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Claire McCaskill’s gonna eat poo poo to Josh Hawley because she sucks poo poo and is completely uninspiring, but hey Missouri might finally have legal medical weed and will increase the state minimum wage after Greitens the rape governor struck down KC and STL’s increased minimum wage laws.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, that's the impressive thing about it to me. Like, he's clearly figuring it out as he goes, but they're all so great that with a little trimming it's the finished track. Prince realizing he struck gold is the part I wanted to share, so I'll look a little harder.

Edit: you nailed it with the DailyMotion suggestion, so thank you.

Prince just loving stumbled face-first into one of the greatest guitar riffs ever, it’s absolutely insane how good Purple Rain is.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

I didn't see Mandy yet, so I can't comment on it specifically but I see the kind of thing I'm talking about all the time. I went to a Godzilla screening a few years ago and most of the audience was just yukkin it up until about half way into the movie when they realized how grim it is. A lot of people are just above liking things now. It's obnoxious and stupid.

My girlfriend and I saw The Exorcist a couple years ago, and there was laughing every time Reagan or Captain Howdy swore or did anything demonic, it was pretty annoying.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CelticPredator posted:

That’s why the Alamo is great. Those people don’t go to these revival screenings.

My screening of the Exorcist was at the Alamo Drafthouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Talk poo poo about Scientology as much as you want, but it’s definitely helped a certified madman do crazy poo poo for movies. Totally worth all the destruction and financial ruin.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

Jon Stewart using a whole episode of the Daily Show to dunk on Glenn Beck makes up for that.

He also had Bill O’Reilly on multiple times to debate because they’re good friends!!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

WarEternal posted:

How the gently caress is this real?

Pokémon is the second highest-selling game franchise, only Mario beats it out. Honestly, I’m surprised no one tried to make a live action Pokémon film before, it seems like a slam dunk.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DC Murderverse posted:

Pokemon I noticed in that trailer:
Pikachu
Psyduck
Charizard
Greninja
Mr. Mime
Rufflet
Dodrio
Squirtle
Jigglypuff
Bulbasaur
Morelull
Charmander
Emolga

plus a bunch flying in the sky in the first few seconds

edit:
also Venusaur, Audino and Voltik in the marketplace

I saw a Comfey in the opening shot, Alolan Pokemon confirmed, give me Togedemaru aka hedgehog Pikachu.

precision posted:

Gen 1 and 2 had alien pokemon too :haw:

Canonically, Clefairy and Clefables are literally aliens from the moon that crash-landed on Mt. Moon.

CelticPredator posted:

Overlord is a blue balls movie. Don’t say this is a JJ Abrams. He’s always left me smiling and satisfied.

I had a big stupid grin on my face when I walked out of Overlord yesterday, it was everything I wanted from the premise.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Can’t forget Klefki, the set of keys that is a fairy, or Aegislash, the sword and shield that are a ghost, or Pallosand, the sand castle that is a ghost, or Pumpkaboo, the pumpkin that is a ghost, or Drifloon, the balloon that carries children away to their deaths which is also a ghost.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Cialias: the penis Pokémon, that is also a ghost

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Overlord gave me a scene where a Nazi’s mouth is covered in duct tape, and when the duct tape gets ripped off, he has a grenade in his mouth and the firing pin is attached to the tape. The opposite of blue balls. Overlord ruled.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The opposite of blue balls.

I can’t believe I have to say this,

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

precision posted:

The pokedex is truly horrifying and I bet the people who write it have the best job

"Sometimes a talkative child will suddenly go quiet. This often means it was replaced with a Zorua."

The pokemon world is apparently very very dark

My girlfriend and I have referred to the Sun/Moon dex as the Pokédex from Hell because almost every entry is disturbing or creepy in some way. It owns.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Even the old games have stuff like Lt. Surge talking about how his pokemon "saved his life during the war."

Lavender Tower is a Pokémon graveyard that’s haunted by a Cubone’s grief over its mother’s death at the hands of Team Rocket.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Even like episode 7 of the original cartoon had that weird plot about the trainer who drowns his Sandshrew and puts it in horrific metal devices and whips/tortures all of his pokemon, but it's okay because they like it/suffer from Stockholm syndrome.

There’s an episode where a Charmander is left out in the rain by a lovely trainer, and once its tail flame goes out, it will die.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not gonna fully judge the movie on this, but I’d love it if more doubt footage films would really get authentic with it. If it’s set in the past, track down an old camera or something that could replicate that look.

People should do more set in the 90’s FF movies, because I can’t imagine cameras from back then would cost a whole lot.

There was a Chilean narrative biographical drama called No, which was about an election in the 1980s that was filmed on 1980s camera equipment.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also if we’re talking about Pokémon, which Pokémon would you eat and how would you prepare it?

Vanillish, the ice cream cone Pokémon, as-is.

Budgie Jumping posted:

This is horrid. You can't get consent from a creature with a one word vocabulary.

Edit: oh yeah there's the talking cat. So I guess that one.

Edit 2: and no i don't mean eric roberts.

Team Rocket’s Meowth is the only Meowth that can talk. I think some of the legendaries (especially Mewtwo in Pokémon: The First Movie) can speak with more than just their names.

CPL593H posted:

That's a fair question. Probably not. But this is just a thing I don't get why people just loving love it. There's all kinds of poo poo I don't like and don't care about but usually I get why people like it. I guess mostly I just wish people would like new poo poo instead of just renewing their interest in the same thing over and over again. It's boring.

I like Pokémon because Geodude is real, and strong, and he’s my friend.

LesterGroans posted:

Is Pokemon something that's stagnating though? Doesn't it have fans that are kids? I mean, I know the original Pokemen but have no idea what anything past 150 is, but I know they kept going.

A couple weeks ago I was at a high school and saw a kid in a Pokémon shirt and was struck with the thought that I was first into Pokémon before that kid was born, so yeah it’s still popular among kids.

Escobarbarian posted:

Imagine complaining that people are still talking about Pokemon 20 years later when Harry Potter exists

:yeah:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Detective No. 27 posted:

The social aspect is what makes that series so brilliant.

Pokémon is an incredibly well-designed game because it lets you get as casual or into it as you want. You can complete the game’s story, and that can be it. Or you can also do the post-game stuff, or you can complete the Pokédex, or you can do breeding and battling (which require VERY different skills from the main game), there’s a lot to the Pokémon games and it’s very well put-together.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacheteZombie posted:

Theyve done a lot to streamline the breeding stuff the past couple gens and it's so much better because of that. *opens spreadsheet with all my high quality pokemon breeds like some kind lovely puppy mill owner*

My girlfriend was considering getting into breeding/competitive play and it sounds wild, like in Sun/Moon specifically you need to wait for the like 40th SOS Pokémon to show up in a battle to get the really good EVs and then you need to breed it and see what it’s nature is and aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Detective No. 27 posted:

My favorite gen is Gen 5. (Black and White.) It was the peak of the 2D era, with the fastest battles, and a whole brand new 150 Pokemon. You don't see any old Pokemon until you beat the game. Not even Pikachu. It was pretty bold. It has a robust post-game too.

Sadly, it doesn't get much respect these days.

I blame the crappy Exp. Share system, which makes leveling up a balanced team so much more difficult and time-consuming. I think Let’s Go is getting rid of Exp. Share as an item, and it’ll just always be in play, which could be interesting.

CelticPredator posted:

Remember Pokémon snap

Pokémon snap ruled

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hell yeah it does. I'm looking forward to Let's Go. I'm getting the Pikachu version, and I bought my girlfriend the Switch Eevee bundle for Christmas. I can't wait to see the look on her face when I give it to her when we go on vacation next month.

I’m also getting the Pikachu version, and my girlfriend’s getting the Eevee version, and we’ve basically slotted our this whole weekend for Pokémon.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this actually going to be part of the main series of games? I know it ties into the mobile game a bit so I was hoping it wasnt gunna be part of the core titles. Is pokemon bank usable with it?

I don’t know, I don’t even know if Pokemon Bank is available on Switch. And as far as I can tell it’s only the original 151, plus Alolan variants, plus Meltan/Melmetal, the new legendaries.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

garycoleisgod posted:

Anywho to bring it back to movies, after not watching many westerns apart from every Clint Eastwood movie ever made, does GenChat have any good recommendations to get this taste out my mouth? To save your breath, I have also already seen The Proposition, it ruled, so no need to pimp that one.

If you liked Leone’s Man With No Name trilogy, you have to watch Once Upon a Time in the West, which also features the death of the West as a theme. The Wild Bunch is another good death of the West movie, it even takes place in the early 1900s. Rio Bravo and My Darling Clementine are straight-forward westerns, and wonderful movies.

bushisms.txt posted:

The quick and the dead is everything rdr2 is not.

The Quick and the Dead rules.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

I still haven't seen that. I know Hackman is the villain so it might make for an interesting double-feature with Unforgiven.

I haven’t seen Unforgiven (I want to be more well-versed in classic westerns before watching it), but The Quick and the Dead rules because it’s Raimi pulling out all the stops, and throwing crash zooms all over the place. Also, the cast is amazing, pre-fame DiCaprio and Crowe, Sharon Stone, Keith David, and Gene Hackman!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another western recommendation: The Good, the Bad, the Weird, which is about a bounty hunter (the good), a big city gangster (the bad) and a motorcycle-riding train robber (the weird) all chasing each other and following a map to buried treasure across Manchuria in 1938 while being pursued by Mongolian bandits and, at one point, the entire Japanese army.

From the same director as I Saw The Devil, no less. The Good, the Bad, and the Weird is a hell of a movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m hype as hell for The Ballad of Buster Scruggs tomorrow

Of course the Coens release a western during goddamn Noirvember.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who are the most prominent black cowboys in Hollywood movies? Off the top of my head there's the guy who's in charge of the gang that gets shot by Charles Bronson at the start of Once Upon a Time In the West and Danny Glover in Silverado but I probably haven't seen enough westerns.

Was the lead in The Great Silence black or was he Native American? I can't remember.

Blazing Saddles :v:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

Fred Williamson did a number of westerns with some, er, memorable titles.

Is there perchance one where they call him boss?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

I can’t advise spending 90 minutes in a gas station, this is way worse than Clerks

This sequel to the Crack House Incident blows

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I just remembered a notable Black cowboy: Don Cheadle in Boogie Nights

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Egbert Souse posted:

RIP William Goldman

The Princess Bride, Misery, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, dude had some hits. RIP to a real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Every so often, I have a moment where I realize loving Something Awful Dot Com is the reason I never became a pepe/groyper type shitlord, I was raised in a two households, one Christian and Fox News conservative, the other Atheist and libertarian/ancap, so getting exposed to LF back in the day was eye-opening for me and led to me breaking with the normal political ideologies in my family.

Alhazred posted:

Most conservatives hates Trump because he's incompetent evil, not because he's evil.

Conservatives love Trump because he appeals to their lizard brains, any conservative that says they don't like Trump is a grifter trying to make money off clueless centrists and liberals; the current scandal in which the token Republican on Pod Save America was found to have spread anti-Semitic conspiracy theories on behalf of facebook, or David loving Frum (who coined the phrase "Axis of Evil") pivoting to become a #Resistance lib.