Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The previous GenChat

Last GenChat thread got to 2222 pages. Time to start fresh!

Be nice and cool to each other.

Where we left off:

Coffee And Pie posted:

Okay so my job has asked me to do a video series about movies, I don’t want it to be just a basic review series, any ideas of how to make it fun? I’m aiming for like a Polygon/Super Deluxe style, and I would like to involve my life size posable skeleton, Jacques.

MacheteZombie posted:

Make the skeleton the host. No Bones About It

I Before E posted:

I would say use the skeleton as an audience surrogate but that's already been done

CPL593H posted:

gently caress the skeleton.

I Before E posted:

Maybe put together a fake doctor's office with the skeleton as set decoration, and have the gimmick be that the host is a doctor who keeps getting sidetracked talking about movies

:siren: Cool Stuff That's Come Up :siren:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I didn't know this, but RareFilm is back:

https://rarefilmm.com/films-index/

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
*sniff*

Ahhhhh, new thread smell.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm open to suggestions for a Thanksgiving-related CineD name change

My idea was CineDressing, but I feel like it's lame. :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Tonight I'm watching Lost Highway on television, for the very first time. Yet I have listened to the soundtrack a dozen times already. What can I say, I'm deraaaaaaaanged.

Edited for TV, with commercials?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

One of the Netherlands' national TV channels which means no commercials in between. What kind of edit would it be? For content or for duration? They wouldn't run the former, but no idea about the latter.

Content. It has quite a bit of nudity, some weird sex stuff, and intense violence.

It would not be shown on TV in the US.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Films on FilmStruck before it goes away that are unavailable to rent on Blu-ray or watch on Kanopy or Prime: a Letterboxd list

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The African Queen is so drat good. Humphry Bogart is hilarious. I really like how Katherine Hepburn, despite at first appearing to be a conservative prude, never allows herself to be marginalized. Rose is just as strong as Charlie, and they only ever argue to figure out how to work together best.

It's really interesting to see a movie about a blossoming relationship where the only conflict between the characters is how they work together and survive and also figuring out how to blow up a ship full of Nazis.

Wonderful film.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 3, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

African Queen is First World War.

Of course it's a great movie, in any case. Lots of fun.

Thanks for correcting me. They mainly refer to them as The Germans throughout.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don’t know what the AV is from, clearly a cultural gap on my part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKcF4R7tmlE

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Harold & Maude is a perfect movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

If there is indeed a difference between a perfect and a favourite film, the much more interesting question would be: Which film do you consider perfect but don't actually like?

Kubrick's Sparticus is perfect, but it's the last of his I'd revisit.

I've heard a lot of people say The Master is perfect but they hate it. I love that movie, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

To me, the finest short film ever made is Norman McLaren’s Pas de Deux:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WopqmACy5XI

My vote still goes for 'Neighbors'.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Lots of people missing Fargo as a perfect movie smdh

I think this can safely go to several Coen films.

Fargo, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, A Serious Man, to say the least.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

It's weird hearing people complain about the lovely Scott Walker because every time someone mentions him it just reminds me of the former 60s pop singer turned experimental musician also named Scott Walker.

Yeah, same. It's pretty funny imagining everyone is pissed off about Plastic Palace People or something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:argh: "You should only sing Jacques Brel in the original French!!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Like 90% of those Brel covers do have something that clearly wouldn't fly now, like Jackie having the line inside an opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen" or the real prominent slur in Next.

Yeah, but they're also always from the perspective of a character, like John Prine or Randy Newman songs. Next especially.

But that style of songwriting really doesn't fly today, even though Newman always used it for satire.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

How did Plan 9 from Outer Space get its reputation of worst movie of all time? Sure it's cheap 50s sci-fi schlock, but it's far better written, directed, and paced than a lot of other 50s sci-fi schlock I've seen. Was it before the Burton movie or because of it?

Waaaay before the Burton movie. It really isn't that good. The dialogue is idiotic and redundant, the acting is over-the-top, the set design looks like this:

I think it genuinely succeeds in atmosphere, especially in the beginning, and maintains an earnest charm that keeps it fascinating throughout. Vampira, Criswell and Tor help a lot, too.

So while I agree it's not the "worst movie of all time", I think it's easily afforded the title of "most watchable worst movie", like Troll 2 and The Room, and that's why it has a strong reputation.

But those are just my observations. I'm sure others may know more about it's history of popularity in the schlock genre.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

i think that argument lands for something like Mathilde & some of the lines in Jackie (even tho that song's refrain is about Brel referring 2 himself by name) but I don't rly think the casual racism or the slur in Next necessarily adds to the characterization as opposed to muddling it slightly.
Like in Jackie, the blatant sexism of "expecting something in return" from women or starting brothels full of "young girls" or whatever I think add 2 this sort of absurd self-centered grandeur that's a reflection of insecure/contradictory masculinity. But I think the whole "opium den/chinamen" thing is relying on a racist shorthand to get the idea across of transgression & spaces that the singer inserts themselves in, etc. I don't think the line is there to suggest that the singer is racist & broadly stereotyping a whole race of people (as opposed to - say, Jello Biafra's 'n word' use in Holiday in Cambodia*) so I think it weakens the song overall & isn't needed compared to slightly changing the words.
Same with Next, he's all mixed up about sexuality & death but its not like homophobia is rly a necessary element, if u look at the original lyrics/translation it looks like the wordplay originally was the dual-meaning of "impotent army" & i think, same there, where using 'gay' as a metaphor for 'impotent' actually makes the line less coherent now in addition to sketching out the character of the singer in a way that seems 2 weaken the song overall

*which, 2 be fair, there's certainly reasonable arguments against that line too

These are valid and good points, and while I don't disagree, the blatant homophobia in Next fits in with the machismo military theme of the song. I don't like it, but having worked with veterans, homophobia as a form of humor/antagonism is prevalent in that culture. And a song that's playing with fear, sexuality and losing virginity as a rite of masculine passage, that works with it. I also just don't really like Next. It's my least favorite song from Scott 2.

It's a little different than Bob Dylan using the n-word in Hurricane, for instance, despite it being a quote from African Americans and how they perceive the main character of the song, still just does not feel justified or fit well in 2018.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I actually like Bride of the Monster/Atom more than Plan 9.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am pretty disappointed in Florida. It was such a close race.

We got a few good things through, but our education budgets are going to be hosed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, but are there not a thousand other ways he could have done that? There doesn't seem to be any significant commentary or whatever, it's just shock humor and Tarantino seems to love being able to say it.

What makes it weirder is that the Jimmy's wife, Bonnie--seen briefly--is played by Venessia Valentino, an African American actress.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm pretty sure the DNS scene is basically meant to be a shaggy dog joke, and this is the punchline.

Jimmy just goes on and on and on about how much he hates black people, in front of a black man, and then when his wife gets home, she's very prominently shown to be a black woman who he's completely cowed by. it's not just "he's an rear end in a top hat" or shock value humor, it's very specifically establishing him as being a spineless hypocrite.

When I looked up the actresses name, according to the Pulp Fiction wiki (which is a thing?), she is Marcellus Wallace's niece, hence Jimmy's feeling entitled to his racial slurs in front of a black man with a gun covered in blood, and also his fear of his wife. Dunno if it's true, but it's a neat little detail.

Anyway, that scene hasn't aged well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

It also seems to play a part in Jules’ humbling. He goes from a badass motherfucker to a guy letting himself get talked down to by a wormy prick, getting covered in gore, getting stripped naked, but eventually coming out clean on the other side. The difference between him and Vince is that for him it’s a wake up call as to how much the life sucks, while Vince just says “poo poo happens.”

I really like this. It's Jules's baptism.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I don't care about lore and I don't know the history of nerds throwing a fit about this particular series of movies. I just played a few of the early games that I remember to be tense, atmospheric horror. The film series looked wildly different than that to me in genre and tone. They very well may be good and I don't begrudge anyone for liking them, nor do I care about fidelity to the Umbrella Corp backstory or whatever—they just looked very different from what I liked about the games :shrug:

Well you're obviously a misogynist.

But seriously, that was my take-away. I'm sure they're fun movies, but when I was told there would be a Resident Evil movie, I was expecting spooky houses full of traps and zombies. Not Milla Jovovich being an action star. That's cool, I like Milla, but it just wasn't what I was interested in. But I also brush off pretty much every video game movie after watching the ostrich races in Prince of Persia.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Toy Story 4 Teaser 1

Toy Story 4 Teaser 2

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Even like episode 7 of the original cartoon had that weird plot about the trainer who drowns his Sandshrew and puts it in horrific metal devices and whips/tortures all of his pokemon, but it's okay because they like it/suffer from Stockholm syndrome.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Is it streaming anywhere? I’ll rent it if not. I’m kinda feeling a flick today. Sabrina is ok but it’s not keeping my interest

justwatch.com says it's on Amazon Prime and Hoopla.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There’s an episode where a Charmander is left out in the rain by a lovely trainer, and once its tail flame goes out, it will die.

Yeah, but that one ends with Ash happily keeping the Charmander and it replacing Pikachu and the rest of his pokemon as his favorite.

Another hosed up one is the one where the Tentacruel kills hundreds/thousands of people while destroying buildings a fit of rage, in an episode that was never aired again because it was too similar to 9/11.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not gonna fully judge the movie on this, but I’d love it if more doubt footage films would really get authentic with it. If it’s set in the past, track down an old camera or something that could replicate that look.

People should do more set in the 90’s FF movies, because I can’t imagine cameras from back then would cost a whole lot.

While I think that is a fun idea, I can't shake the feeling that maybe a set of cameras from the 1940's and it's film stock would be expensive and unwieldy for a 2013 direct-to-streaming found footage production.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pikastew

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

A coworker a while back raised the question of if you had to gently caress a Pokémon which one would it be? Near unanimous answer was Lickitung.

Yeah let's not talk about this, Lickatung fucker

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's not that crazy for people to like Pokemon, though. The game format appeals to fans of RPGs and people obsessed with collecting. The cartoon is cute and kid-friendly. There's tons of marketing material for people to buy. The original kids that grew up playing the original games are now old enough to have kids of their own, so the interest in the games and cartoons (and now movies) are ways for parents and kids to connect.

The whole 30-somethings chasing nostalgic buzz to the point of navel-gazing isn't a majority (is it?), and they are in every fandom. Harry Potter fans are the worst about this. I know people that go to the Harry Potter theme park every few months just to go play with their loving wands. They could add like, a new statue or some poo poo, and they're hopping in their car to go get sugar-buzzed on butter beer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is there a good online resource for watching pre-1900 films? Other than searching for the individual titles on YouTube and the like.

Archive.org allows you to search movies by year and select multiple years. They seem to have about 50 films from 1900 and earlier, and they have 14k films with years unlisted.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Do they work?

Yeah. They're (expensive) wands that, when used like you're casting spells, interact with hidden animatronics throughout the theme park. Some are obvious, some are kept secret, and I guess every so often they add a new secret animatronic. There are forums and guides to all of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

There must be so much loneliness involved in every part of this.

Eh, kids love it, and my adult friends that have bought them have done so as a couple's date. And then there are groups that do it together, like Pokemon Go.

If I did it, it'd be lonely as gently caress. But that's more to do with my being lonely as gently caress.

:sigh:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I really wish I could still be into Pokemon but there's just something about the incremental changes they made and the evolving art style that bounces me right off anything made after the second gen.

I feel so left out.

I started playing Pokemon Emerald after it being recommended in the last thread, and it's just the right mix of old and new for me. I'm really enjoying it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Remember Pokémon snap

Hours and hours spent pummeling Pokemon with apples.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

this is gonna be real bad

:911:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

what is happening in this thread

People are making jokes and goons are missing the irony and answering sincerely.

So the same thing that happens in every CineD thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

If we don't wrap this up, we'll be here until we've named all 420 Pokémon

Jointlypuff
Psydab
Bongasaur