Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

People I know often talk of family as a support system, but my family is functionally useless. I've zero concept of familial support structure.

Others have spouses/partners they talk to. This makes sense and was the case for me when I was married. Some people feel that family still comes first.

Good friends maybe? I personally have a couple in my life and I avoid bringing my daily woes into conversation. I want to have fun with them, and for my friends to enjoy our time together. Playing therapy isn't fun and they often have other people they need to tend to (family, partners, etc).

Drugs? I know alcohol, marijuana, stimulants, and mushrooms have kept me going the past couple of years.

Who in your life is your main emotional support when life is poo poo? Who do you know you can always turn to and feel heard, loved, and respected? Who do you use as a basis for morals and ethics?

Are these things that people ever have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Goku

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dis guy right here

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Reddit. My emotional state is intrinsically linked to my daily karma.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Goontube. Oh, and the NHS.

Oh, and the rules of acquisition. That helps.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't feel anything anymore

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Cantaloupe posted:

I don't feel anything anymore

Who feels for you? Some kind of blind idiot feeler dog?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

A feeling alright dog, if you will

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Dis guy right here

:same: but actually Jesus Christ (not the one who posts here), who overcame crucifixion in a different way than pictured, and probably had better hair. Plus my very tolerant and patient partner. Plus the guys in my church personal development prayer/social group. Also my mum, and no you can't gently caress her (but if you already did I hope she enjoyed it).

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 3, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I mostly just cry a lot

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
A bust of Lenin.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Vodka

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

my penis, specifically jacking it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
an unshakable belief in the goodness of humanity *wakes up* oh

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
jim beam and/or whatever of my casual friends are online when I accidentally get in to sad-drunk mode late at night

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

quote:

Who is your emotional foundation or support?

What's that?

What even is that?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
See avatar

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Weed

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

no. 6 youve been making sad posts lately

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
AA

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

i have dozens of people like that in my life, some individuals, some in groups

what exactly do you want to know about them?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Stop worrying about burdening your friends. Lay that poo poo on them. No it's not fun, but it's a part of friendship, and it'll make you closer. Do you think "ugh, hope my friends never confide in me"?

That poo poo is what true friendship is all about. I have friends like you who refuse to be honest about what they're going through. They are my least closest friends as a result.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Loutre posted:

Stop worrying about burdening your friends. Lay that poo poo on them. No it's not fun, but it's a part of friendship, and it'll make you closer. Do you think "ugh, hope my friends never confide in me"?

That poo poo is what true friendship is all about. I have friends like you who refuse to be honest about what they're going through. They are my least closest friends as a result.

rl lol ymmv

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Loutre posted:

You can definitely over-do it though. It can be extremely tiring as a friend to be their daily support line every time they are feeling a little down, especially if it's the same problem you've talked them through over and over and over again. It's not nearly as extreme of a thing, but it's kind of like calling 911 because you can't remember if you took your pills or not. Yes, it's an emergency to you, but if you keep calling repeatedly the operator is going to get sick of your poo poo pretty fast. It should be obvious when you're over that line with a friend, but apparently a lot of people are oblivious of it.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Luv 2 hang out w my friends and say "oh yeah it's all great!" the same way I would a coworker

And then go home and cry about my dad dying or whatever

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Loutre posted:

Luv 2 hang out w my friends and say "oh yeah it's all great!" the same way I would a coworker

And then go home and cry about my dad dying or whatever

because there is nothing between "always burden your friends, thats what good friendship is" and this

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

The Saucer Hovers posted:

because there is nothing between "always burden your friends, thats what good friendship is" and this

How the gently caress does "confide in your friends" translate in your head to "call them every time anything slightly bad happens"? I'm talking about major life poo poo like a breakup or a death. That's when you actually need emotional support.

Op said he doesn't like to tarnish his friendships by leaning on them, I just think he has a bad view of friendship.

Edit: I understand trying to keep time with people fun, I just don't think that a real friend is ever going to think that kind of stuff is a burden. If you have to pretend you're in a totally different place to hang out with someone, you're not friends, you're people who hang out.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 3, 2018

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Loutre posted:

How the gently caress does "confide in your friends" translate in your head to "call them every time anything slightly bad happens"? I'm talking about major life poo poo like a breakup or a death. That's when you actually need emotional support.

i think what needs to happen here is we become good friends and test this out

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

It’s GBS

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Sucking dicks, drinking cum, you know the usual

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Sean Connery
Jimmy Rockford
Pele

and Weed

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

beer, and the loving caress of psychologically manipulative mmorpg's

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

No. 6 posted:

People I know often talk of family as a support system, but my family is functionally useless. I've zero concept of familial support structure.

Others have spouses/partners they talk to. This makes sense and was the case for me when I was married. Some people feel that family still comes first.

Good friends maybe? I personally have a couple in my life and I avoid bringing my daily woes into conversation. I want to have fun with them, and for my friends to enjoy our time together. Playing therapy isn't fun and they often have other people they need to tend to (family, partners, etc).

Drugs? I know alcohol, marijuana, stimulants, and mushrooms have kept me going the past couple of years.

Who in your life is your main emotional support when life is poo poo? Who do you know you can always turn to and feel heard, loved, and respected? Who do you use as a basis for morals and ethics?

Are these things that people ever have?

Lately, goons on discord.

I hate having such a poo poo life right now. Nobody wants to hear about that poo poo.

My cats think I'm awesome, though, so I can't be that bad.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I just sit next to a random person on the subway and start telling them all my life problems, in detail, until they quiver and flee

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

seriouspost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOS00ttAblQ

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
There's this guy who i pay to listen to me. He's pretty cool.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Dis guy right here

They gathered the Dragonballs and wished Goku back to life three days later.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
McGarnagle. Eases the pain.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You can definitely over-do it though. It can be extremely tiring as a friend to be their daily support line every time they are feeling a little down, especially if it's the same problem you've talked them through over and over and over again. It's not nearly as extreme of a thing, but it's kind of like calling 911 because you can't remember if you took your pills or not. Yes, it's an emergency to you, but if you keep calling repeatedly the operator is going to get sick of your poo poo pretty fast. It should be obvious when you're over that line with a friend, but apparently a lot of people are oblivious of it.

This is why you should have more than one friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

weed and alcohol and chronic masturbation.

• Locked thread