Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

me, for one. orc warrior probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
idiots, primarily

bad games should be remembered through rose tinted glasses, you're going to be 3 weeks into hitting 60 and wonder wtf you're doing with your life

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Literally never played that poo poo. Always got bored with Ultima so.. :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the correct answer is 'no one worth knowing'

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is wow

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

Loutre posted:

idiots, primarily

bad games should be remembered through rose tinted glasses, you're going to be 3 weeks into hitting 60 and wonder wtf you're doing with your life

yeah every single good memory you have from right before this very second (no matter when you read this) is actually wrong and tinted by nostalgia and only remembering the good parts. your entire life has actually just been misery and pain, sorry friends

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Literally never played that poo poo. Always got bored with Ultima so.. :shrug:

But thou must!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dandywalken posted:

But thou must!

>go left

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

A bad thread draws near, command?

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.
Only if they bring back The Barrens zone chat.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

discarded box posted:

yeah every single good memory you have from right before this very second (no matter when you read this) is actually wrong and tinted by nostalgia and only remembering the good parts. your entire life has actually just been misery and pain, sorry friends

Original WoW was chock full of lovely features. Yeah bro I play wow too! Oh you're on another server? We literally can't even talk to each other, let alone play.

Speaking from experience, I lost something when I went back and played the terrible games of my past. Because they are still terrible, and the friendships/mutual angst at the game that made it worth while isn't going to be there in 2019.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i would like a game company to sell me the experience of being 13 years old with no responsibilities and unlimited time to play MMOs

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i have no idea what kind of idiot would pick up classic wow when wc3:rf is coming out soon

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

It’ll have aged like poo poo you’re probably better off just remembering it than playing it again and spoiling your memories of it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Blizzcon 2018: Are You Excited as gently caress That We Are Rehashing Every Game We've Ever Made Or What?

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

Loutre posted:

Original WoW was chock full of lovely features. Yeah bro I play wow too! Oh you're on another server? We literally can't even talk to each other, let alone play.

Speaking from experience, I lost something when I went back and played the terrible games of my past. Because they are still terrible, and the friendships/mutual angst at the game that made it worth while isn't going to be there in 2019.

the whole "rose tinted goggles" argument just bothers me because a ton of games people love to throw out this argument for ive played very recently and thought they were really fuckin good. just as good as everyone remembered

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

discarded box posted:

the whole "rose tinted goggles" argument just bothers me because a ton of games people love to throw out this argument for ive played very recently and thought they were really fuckin good. just as good as everyone remembered

That's fair for like, SNES games or whatever. I thought the same thing about KOTOR which still owns.

Original WoW was governed by the design of MMOs at the time, and it's terrible when you compare it to modern games.

You get a new weapon and have to go train the skill in a far away city, then spend 2 hours smacking kobolds before you can actually use it in your game? That's literally only because Everquest had it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Who the gently caress wants to play the same poo poo over and over? The whole point of MMOs is getting new stuff to do, but these dorks want the same game from 2004 and nothing else forever.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lots of people really don't remember how LONG everything took in that version and they're dumb to want it back

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

SpazmasterX posted:

Who the gently caress wants to play the same poo poo over and over? The whole point of MMOs is getting new stuff to do, but these dorks want the same game from 2004 and nothing else forever.

people buy and sell money on the project 1999 everquest server in the tens of thousands of dollars because tubby grognards still want to play an emulated elf game from the 90s

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

Lots of people really don't remember how LONG everything took in that version and they're dumb to want it back

i think the biggest draw to classic wow is the actual sense of community. the group finder tool was both the best and worst thing to happen to WoW, along with cross server EVERYTHING. it all looks good on paper but it ruined the entire experience for me. apparently it did for a lot of other people too

and yeah things took way too loving long and it felt totally arbitrary, but you still get that sense of accomplishment

discarded box fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 4, 2018

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I spent 4 hours setting up Everquest project 1999, then played for 2 minutes and uninstalled.

Old games suck loving rear end.
Its nostalgia all the way down.

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I spent 4 hours setting up Everquest project 1999, then played for 2 minutes and uninstalled.

Old games suck loving rear end.
Its nostalgia all the way down.

it could also be that youre 19 years older and youre an adult instead of a child(maybe?), and have been bombarded with games that steal elements from your old favorites so much so that you hate them now

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

i do.
ive been playing on 1.12 private servers for a few years now. they come and go every 18 months. when the new hype server pops up, everybody zergs it in a race to be at the top of the power curve.
its almost like how seasons worked in diablo 2.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Jellidelic posted:

i do.
ive been playing on 1.12 private servers for a few years now. they come and go every 18 months. when the new hype server pops up, everybody zergs it in a race to be at the top of the power curve.
its almost like how seasons worked in diablo 2.

that diablo poo poo is wild too, i missed all those games when they originally came out, and played diablo 3, finished it, then everyone was like "ok now you just keep running through the whole game over and over"

lmao hell no

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
This will be like every other time a company has eventually given in and supplied something the fans think will be good and cool, despite all evidence saying otherwise.

They will log in, get bored because they’ve already done it, get irritated because they had forgotton the bad parts, get irritated the monsters they have been one shotting for years now take a group and weeks of grinding or rush to 60 and remember how all they did back in vanilla was whine there was nothing to do once you hit 60.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I thought I wanted to, but they said I don't want that :shrug:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

no op I don't own a phone

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only if wowglider still works and i get to sell fresh 60s on ebay for $200

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Not me, I killed all the bosses the first time around. Also it's fourteen years later and everyone is going to know how everything works, it'd just be depressing to play it again

open container
Sep 16, 2008
REMEMBER WHEN WOW STOOD FOR WHIP EM OUT WEDNESDSAY

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Game was good when it first came out, everything was new and you could have fun discovering the world.

Classic wow is probably going to be a bunch of sad sack “power gamers” rushing to beat all the content in a week.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I played in rhe original beta and I got bored around level 14. Whoever enjoys a series of "oh mighty warrior we are desperate for you help in saving world. Kill 10 snapping turtles." is a retard.

In the end I I sold my beta account and bought an ipos with the money about 2 weeks before the game was released. I owned everyone in that series of events and consider myself the winner of wow.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I played in rhe original beta and I got bored around level 14. Whoever enjoys a series of "oh mighty warrior we are desperate for you help in saving world. Kill 10 snapping turtles." is a retard.

In the end I I sold my beta account and bought an ipos with the money about 2 weeks before the game was released. I owned everyone in that series of events and consider myself the winner of wow.

hard to top. nice job.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

discarded box posted:

it could also be that youre 19 years older and youre an adult instead of a child(maybe?), and have been bombarded with games that steal elements from your old favorites so much so that you hate them now

The graphics alone gave me 6 kinds of cancer.

Thing is though, back then we grouped and talked about the world and stuff while whacking the same type of orc for 6 hours as an afterthought.
Nowaydays i play games to whack orcs, and prefer to do that alone cause people are horribad at video games.

I mean nigga have you played vermintide?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
If you wanna know who is a loving idiot why not just ask that instead of couching it in some decoy question?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Most of the people who want to play classic WoW done so during the revival of Nostalrius and the other subsequent private vanilla servers back in 2015. And you know what, it was twice as fun and modern WoW. The vanilla experience all over again with an active population was great and ya'll missed out if you think otherwise.
I resubscribed to WoW last month for the first time since MoP and it was a horrible soulless experience. Have since de-activated my account.

The thing about blizzard releasing "classic wow" is that it's not going to be like the original vanilla experience. It's going to be tweaked in one way or another. There's going to be patches, bug fixes, modifications and no doubt there'll be a store you can buy upgrades, mounts and other stupid poo poo on. That's not classic WoW, it's just a pathetic moneygrab modification of it.

Believe it or not, the lovely bugs, blocky graphics and lovely goofy rear end questing and pvp was the part of vanilla WoW most of us enjoyed.
The game was far more social too.

You can enjoy it, or hate it, but ya'll are brainwashed idiots if you think modern WoW is even worth playing over the classic experience.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol if you play anything besides dwarf fortress

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wait, is this real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord