Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Need people to gently caress up some pubbies

Agoat#1337 on discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to join a group for the upcoming reset. I've spent a bit of time with the game getting used to basic crafting and getting really good at nude rock pvp but beyond that I am new. No preference of server location or anything else but am in the EST timezone.

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 14, 2019

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Zerging hard for pubbie tears.

https://discord.gg/FHcaQYz

Mention that you're a goon if you join up. Start of the month we'll play a no decay server on higher pop

Agoat fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 24, 2019

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Its getting pretty goony and I cant complain.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
SERVERS ARE WIPING THURSDAY FOR THE UPDATE

Perfect time to get in on a fresh wipe.

https://discord.gg/6CNW777

Edit: Newbies welcome! We'll teach you!

Agoat fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 30, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
We're getting more active in this game, enough to play on small-group servers.

We could definitely use more players throughout the week and on weekends to get into some darn good fights & raids though. :dance:

Also, anyone curious about why this game is popping up on youtube a lot lately, it's because the game's gotten quite good in the last year and a half specifically due to a series of updates that drastically changed how the game plays from how it once was. There's a rising interest in this game again partly thanks to youtube's algorithm introducing people to creators who do a good job of showing off how entertaining the game can be at its best.

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS_7F3IBncg

Also, if PVP isn't quite your thing, that's cool - we always need base-builders, farmers, trap-engineers, and base-nannies to keep the war machine gears running smoothly. If you want to learn about base building, there's numerous base-build videos to check out that can show you some examples to get started with.

One of the more entertaining base build youtubers is Evil Wurst. Here's what I think is a pretty decent 2x2 starter base for newbies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3he2dIopG1o

And then of course there's the magic of trap bases:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsdIq4XoK0

Also, there's been some pretty impressive 'big custom events' that various servers and groups throw that are just insane and huge fun, like this mass-scale PVE raid event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyP-hqX_2zM

Anyway, anyone who wants to jump in the game just come on discord and we'll get you started when we're on.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 19, 2019

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Rust is the game I missed out when it was super popular, and got into for a bit but found solo play to just be...

I mean, to be honest, I'm real bad.

Still I look forward to running with goons.-

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Rust is the game I missed out when it was super popular, and got into for a bit but found solo play to just be...

I mean, to be honest, I'm real bad.

Still I look forward to running with goons.-

Rust actually just set a new record for most players playing at one time. It's the most popular it's ever been RIGHT NOW!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Rust is a legit good game right now and if you're good at the pvp you can literally get every bp in a day or two

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Rust is a legit good game right now and if you're good at the pvp you can literally get every bp in a day or two

You can even be bad with high numbers and still get everything. It rules

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Agoat posted:

Rust actually just set a new record for most players playing at one time. It's the most popular it's ever been RIGHT NOW!

Yeah, the game has changed a LOT, specifically in the last year and a half.

A lot of people are being made aware of what the game is like now - it's REALLY good. The gameplay loop and the sheer depth of stuff you can do in it is really good. The game also gets regular monthly updates and poo poo too.

Literally the only bad thing about the game is the toxic playerbase - you WILL run into hackers, racists, people with terrible attitudes in general, and screeching children whose parents shouldn't be letting them play this game. But if you get on servers with responsive admins, that's less of a problem. (PROtip: Bind keys to mute/unmute local voice chat.)

For newcomers, this is 'the rust loop' in a nutshell:

You can do a lot of things in Rust, but Rust's main gameplay is about joining a server as a solo, duo, trio, small group, clan, or zerg - and then getting into good fights, building structures to keep your gear (relatively) safe, and raiding enemies to kick them out of territory or steal their poo poo - it is literally about finding PVP fun however you and your group choose.

If you die and lose all your poo poo, no big deal - you start again and climb up again and try again. You WILL lose all your poo poo in rust. Over and over again. But you'll learn something new every time you do.

Above all, don't get mad when you lose everything, even that pretty base you worked on for so long. That's the game, and you got either unlucky or outplayed.

Your gameplay will usually revolve around joining a server early in its lifecycle of a 'wipe' where the server has reset recently (either by the server itself on its own timer or the automatic 'forced wipe' once a month from Facepunch that they do when they drop their monthly content updates) and then getting your tech-research for yourself and your team up so you can compete in the arms race to dominate and control fights.

Or if you come late to the party on a server, you can try to kill (or raid, if you have the gear already) people who are much higher-tiered tech than you to steal their poo poo, and research it for yourself & your team to basically shortcut your way into the arms-race; this is something the community calls 'snowballing' due to the effect of starting off small and then getting bigger very quickly - with a few lucky kills leading to more consistent kills leading to more tech gear etc.

And in between all that - there's tons of other weird poo poo. Though it obviously varies from server to server, there's a whole meta-game to be had in social engineering, trading, diplomacy, and alliances. There's weird events (player-run events or official) that pop up some times that people on servers will participate in. The act of base-design itself has a huge amount of chess-like depth to it, to the point that the best base designers don't even have to necessarily ever shoot a gun themselves. And you can do lots of genuinely bizarre things just for fun.

Word of mouth is spreading about this game and how good it is - the playerbase is rising lately for a reason, and it would be fantastic for goons to get in on the action. It would be great if we could eventually field a large clan and then try building some of evil wurst's ridiculously complex clan bases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTFahqBUoS8

Also - a lot of people who are into Apex Legends and looking for something with quite a bit different gameplay loop than battle royale might enjoy this game, due to similarity of how fights play out and the way a lot of weapons handle. The game is very arcade-shooter, and the crafting/survival loop is built around arcade-y fun gameplay rather than anything remotely like realism.

Goonswarm veterans will also probably enjoy this game for reasons that should be obvious. 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 21, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
unless they changed it, the TTK in rust is like 5% of that of apex legends

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Even if you're bad at all video games, your presence is a huge help! Don't hesitate to join us!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
this game is a treasure

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
Rust sucks when you’re solo and rules when you’re part of a group. We were playing earlier on the server and this guy decided he’d ambush me by shooting me with a crossbow as I was chopping wood naked. Little did he know that a swarm of nakeds armed with bows would come boiling out of our base and pepper him to death with arrows while shouting obscenities.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Rust occasionally has some brilliant moments of emergent gameplay.
I once built a nice solo base in the corner of the map which later bloomed into a settlement of about 2-3 other buildings.
When I went to introduce myself to some naked neighbours at the door to his wooden manor house someone took a shot at us so we both ran into the house and shut the door.
The entire (game) night consisted of different people knocking on our door asking us to let them in.
First it was the ones who attacked us. They’d knock and say nothing. Then we got upstairs into the roof to check it out and it was pitch black outside. We pulled a torch and immediately tracers flew out of the dark at us and we had to go back in. Towards the morning we hear a firefight and then a knock on the door. Some guy starts talking to us saying “Hey you should’ve seen what happened I was watching you get camped and then some other team came down on them and killed them. I got a bunch of their gear out of the door if you want it.”

We didn’t open the door for him. Never trust anyone in rust. Even I could’ve killed the dude in his own house if I wanted to. When it got sunny out all we found was a dead naked at the door.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Padams posted:

Rust sucks when you’re solo and rules when you’re part of a group. We were playing earlier on the server and this guy decided he’d ambush me by shooting me with a crossbow as I was chopping wood naked. Little did he know that a swarm of nakeds armed with bows would come boiling out of our base and pepper him to death with arrows while shouting obscenities.

I've never played anything but solo thus far. 267 hours in and I still suck at PVP but I enjoy building a little base in a tucked away place and attempting to scrabble away some components and BP's from decayed bases and the like. I'd like to play along side some people and keep the home fires burning so to speak but teaming up with randoms is merely an exercise in frustration since almost everyone betrays at some point.

I love this game, it's one of the few that actually make me scared when I'm loaded up with loot and I hear gunfire or footsteps around a corner.

Johnny Crowe
Apr 9, 2018
Anyone still play this game? It sucks running solo. Let's get some loving squeaker tears yo.

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off

Johnny Crowe posted:

Anyone still play this game? It sucks running solo. Let's get some loving squeaker tears yo.

We have a goon discord at https://discord.gg/zKUNa29. The wipe is tomorrow, and it’s a big update, with the scrap helicopter! Come join us so we can roll in on a freshly wiped server in force.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We playin' on a good regular server now that wipes weekly with blueprint wipes monthly.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I had the hankering to play Rust with goons so I did some googling and was directed to this thread. The only problem is apparently I started the thread 2 years ago and forgot about it.

dylguy90 posted:

Hey so if you're like me you haven't played rust in like a year and a half so this is just a PSA that the game is out of early access and Very Good. They added, poo poo like NPC towns, driveable boats, roaming NPCs, more monuments with actual puzzles, a squad ui, three or four major events, a goddamn hot air balloon. Anyway, someone without adhd should make a real thread about this instead of self-immolating with a low effort post l to spread awareness.

Don't do drugs kids :stare:

I will be following up with some of you who posted discord links. Sorry about that.

Ninjadeering
Jun 8, 2014
My duo and I defended our base against a hacker clan 2v6. This is the raid base they made.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

There's lots of great servers out there for Rust now and Rust is an awesome game, I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

If anyone here sucks as much as I do, have you found a good fun PVE/Zombie server with a purge? I'm partial to Blue Collar Rust right now but I'm willing to take suggestions.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Tarkus posted:

There's lots of great servers out there for Rust now and Rust is an awesome game, I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

If anyone here sucks as much as I do, have you found a good fun PVE/Zombie server with a purge? I'm partial to Blue Collar Rust right now but I'm willing to take suggestions.

I suck at PVP. I had more fun watching Welyn play Rust than I have playing it myself.
I don’t find the PVE all that exciting and interesting without the PVP so the game is just frustrating for me.

Otherwise if I knew what I was doing or had friends that played it would be an awesome game.
I have the same perspective on ARK and Last Oasis.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Kraftwerk posted:

I suck at PVP. I had more fun watching Welyn play Rust than I have playing it myself.
I don’t find the PVE all that exciting and interesting without the PVP so the game is just frustrating for me.

Otherwise if I knew what I was doing or had friends that played it would be an awesome game.
I have the same perspective on ARK and Last Oasis.

What I did to start was play on quiet vanilla servers and hide like a mouse everywhere when people who knew how to play were on. On some servers that are PVE, there are PVP zones around monuments where you can practice your PVP skills against other players and then fight zombies to get used to weapons. I've gotten a lot better at PVP over the last month or so.

What I find interesting is the sheer amount of time it takes to truly master the game. I wonder why? I mean, the controls aren't really clunky and the mechanics aren't that complicated. I have 1000 hours into the game and I still suck at some aspects but I'm a pretty good pilot now and I can put up a base real quick from fresh start but still.

Ninjadeering
Jun 8, 2014

Tarkus posted:

What I did to start was play on quiet vanilla servers and hide like a mouse everywhere when people who knew how to play were on. On some servers that are PVE, there are PVP zones around monuments where you can practice your PVP skills against other players and then fight zombies to get used to weapons. I've gotten a lot better at PVP over the last month or so.

What I find interesting is the sheer amount of time it takes to truly master the game. I wonder why? I mean, the controls aren't really clunky and the mechanics aren't that complicated. I have 1000 hours into the game and I still suck at some aspects but I'm a pretty good pilot now and I can put up a base real quick from fresh start but still.

The game is hard, and has incredible high's and low's. What i find the most interesting is the loose structure of the game. Like Overwatch you go push the cart, dota/lol you go to a lane, starcraft and RTS's are probably one of the similar styles of loose game rules that I love. I feel like with a loose structure and an elongated play time, you can build stories like Welyn/Frost/Stevie tell.

What I did to get good was building Evil Wurst's 2x2 and practice at an aim-train server like Revival Aim Train or and Beker Melk's. Then i chose a gun range i wanna be good at: Short/middle/long, and create my own damage combo's. For example my tier 1 strat is hunting bow, eoka, stone spear. Rush up with hunting bow from 30-10m, switch to eoka 10-3m, and spear em to death. Took a while to get the hang of the combo but it works well against other prims. Personally i'm more of a pump shotgun + slugs kinda player, but i've been pushing myself to learn middle range: crossy nail gun/thompson.

If you guys are lookin to play, let me know!

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I was gonna ask whether this is worth buying and I guess that means whether I'll be playing this in 200 hours.

This seems like a game that would be rife with hackers. Is that the case?

It's a multiplayer game that's been out for years, so is it 98% veterans with full kit 10mins after a wipe and 2% frustrated newbies running around in their pants with a blunt stick?

What is the performance like for the gunplay? It seems to be projectile based which is nice, but is there much dying when you are 5 seconds around a cover or other issues?

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
I've played 2000+ hours of this game and I still suck at PvP. Never played in a group larger then 4 though so can't comment on massive group experience. I really enjoy the building and farming and kind of prefer the early game when everyone is running about with bows and pipeys with wolf skin headdresses. I feel like it's just an offline raid fest, not many people will do an online raid unless they outnumber you 8-1. it's kind of annoying to have a good couple of hours of farming and building up your kits to log on the next day and get the death screen.

Most of the time I just play like a seagull, hear explosions, run and hide in a bush nearby wait till they are done then go get the scraps.

Ninjadeering
Jun 8, 2014

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I was gonna ask whether this is worth buying and I guess that means whether I'll be playing this in 200 hours.

This seems like a game that would be rife with hackers. Is that the case?

It's a multiplayer game that's been out for years, so is it 98% veterans with full kit 10mins after a wipe and 2% frustrated newbies running around in their pants with a blunt stick?

What is the performance like for the gunplay? It seems to be projectile based which is nice, but is there much dying when you are 5 seconds around a cover or other issues?

I have 1700 hrs and it's been my personal favorite for the last year. Hackers have been banned in about an hour of reporting so it's been really fun, plus you can tell when its a hacker, the fight doesn't feel right, their profile is private/has a previous vac ban/is 2 hours old. It's really not 98% veterans, I rarely find a vet, and full kits aren't easy to come by, even with skipping the progression. Rust hit it's peak playerbase and still growing as more and more people learn about it. If you like open and unstructured gameplay, then this is by far a great one. It's got more pvp than DayZ, and a pretty good build system. It does have a big learning curve, but can easily be overcome with a bit of practice.

Gun play progresses in tiers from prim to tier 3. bow fights are anywhere from 3 seconds to 1 min, depending on the situation, and gun fights can be 1 second to 20mins depending. My duo and I just countered a raid 2v(6v3) and we had a blast lasting about an hour. Dying does matter more, so your decisions matter a lot. Which in turn can net a big return.

Raiding is fun too, it's a lot of planning and executing, and a lot can go wrong, but that's the fun of it!

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Liking the game, but running as a solo is pretty brutal. I feel like its hard to get experience with gunfights if you've got a bow and are always on the losing end.

Are there any goon teams running? There's a couple of discord links above but they're not working for me.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Deacon91 posted:

I've played 2000+ hours of this game and I still suck at PvP. Never played in a group larger then 4 though so can't comment on massive group experience. I really enjoy the building and farming and kind of prefer the early game when everyone is running about with bows and pipeys with wolf skin headdresses. I feel like it's just an offline raid fest, not many people will do an online raid unless they outnumber you 8-1. it's kind of annoying to have a good couple of hours of farming and building up your kits to log on the next day and get the death screen.

Most of the time I just play like a seagull, hear explosions, run and hide in a bush nearby wait till they are done then go get the scraps.

Its an odd balance, if you run with a zerg it gets boring/too easy. Try to go alone and its disheartening. If I do get the bug to play I'll go on zombie/lowish pop servers. Most of my enjoyment comes from fooling around with the electrical systems. I wish the zombie AI interacted more with the environment and were more of a threat. Its no fun rigging up turrets and traps when they don't even set them off :/

Honestly the best advice is to not take any of it seriously. Spread out as early as possible and have bags/mini bases everywhere, and realize no base is impenetrable. Given enough time and resources anything left unattended will be broken into. Which can be its own reward if you build a pain in the rear end base to break into and its empty.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Well, some recent updates have introduced the night vision scope which is great for flying at night but they are going to add cars for July wipe.

I tried them out on an aux beta rust - staging branch build. I have a feeling that they're either going to be extremely useless or make it impossible to bash barrels along roads. I played on a 5x server and people were driving down the road at full speed with a couple of guys in the back shooting everyone along the roads. At least with a heli there's some delay in coming down to land or being able to hide in the woods or something. These vehicles just come plowing out of nowhere and can run you over right quick.

Has anyone else tried them out?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Does this game go on sale often? My son said he wants to play it with me, but I don't have 80 bucks for two copies.

Lesgoon
Jan 16, 2004
The steam summer sale should be coming up in about a month, and I'm pretty certain that it goes on sale for ten bucks or so regularly during sales.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Which of the 3 big survival games is considered to be the most fun if you like building, resource gathering and teching up?
Conan, Rust or Ark?

I’m trying to find a game where I’m not being hopelessly outclassed all the time so I can actually build up a learning curve and become better.

In rust it seems I lose every single pvp encounter I have unless I can really get the drop on an enemy. And sometimes even then it can be hard. I really regret not dedicating myself to competitive FPS play when I was a teenager. Maybe this would be a different story today.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kraftwerk posted:

Which of the 3 big survival games is considered to be the most fun if you like building, resource gathering and teching up?
Conan, Rust or Ark?

I’m trying to find a game where I’m not being hopelessly outclassed all the time so I can actually build up a learning curve and become better.

In rust it seems I lose every single pvp encounter I have unless I can really get the drop on an enemy. And sometimes even then it can be hard. I really regret not dedicating myself to competitive FPS play when I was a teenager. Maybe this would be a different story today.

I dedicated my teenage years to Counterstrike and Halo lan parties. Then I spent 5 years away and all those skills atrophied.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I think most solo encounters are gonna be won by the person that gets the first shot in, because the time-to-kill is so low in this game (unless bows).

I'd suggest some of the modded combat servers. You just don't get that much combat experience in this game, especially if you're losing fights.

If you're solo you are going to lose most fights and I think that can cause you to think that you are being outclassed, but if it is 2v1 then you need to be 4x better than both players. More people than that and you have to be really, really good or they need to be really, really bad. I only play duo or trio servers because of this.

So the options are: get really good, get better weapons/armour, get a team. Unfortunately I have none of these.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

I played Rust for about 10 hours when it first came out. I enjoyed the frantic starts and smashing heads with rocks, but fell out when they removed zombies and really started messing with the game. That said, I was going through updates in my library and saw the modular cars. Along with the NPC towns mentioned in this thread and other updates, it all sounds pretty sweet. Are there any recommended servers? I'd rather not join up on a dedicated goon server until I'm sure I'll stick with the game. What options do you guys like? I know literally nothing about the game at this point so any direction helps.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

papersack posted:

I played Rust for about 10 hours when it first came out. I enjoyed the frantic starts and smashing heads with rocks, but fell out when they removed zombies and really started messing with the game. That said, I was going through updates in my library and saw the modular cars. Along with the NPC towns mentioned in this thread and other updates, it all sounds pretty sweet. Are there any recommended servers? I'd rather not join up on a dedicated goon server until I'm sure I'll stick with the game. What options do you guys like? I know literally nothing about the game at this point so any direction helps.

Are there even dedicated goon servers?

I play duos with my brother on various servers, it's more about finding good moderators with reliable servers than it is about a given server.

Pick any community server (in the community tab) with fewer than 100 people on it with a trio or quad team cap and play through a wipe. Avoid official servers until you're getting AKs on day 1 of wipes on smaller servers, or you'll just get steamrolled by clans on the big servers.I'd recommend doing vanilla (no 2x, 3x whatever servers) to start.

One thing, you're gonna die a ton. Don't give up. Rust is most rewarding when you've failed a few times against some shithead 14 year old who has the freetime to play this game 12 hours a day, and then something clicks and you get the opportunity to make that 14 year old cry until he logs off.

Not sure if anyone does this already, but a goon zerg would be tremendously fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm down to join any goon groups that form