Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Trio servers are a bit of a trap i find. You don't get zergs obviously but you get a lot of experienced players in there.

If you play Facepunch officials you will get one or two groups which own the server (and in EU one are probably hacking), but you also get a lot of newer players which you can compete against.

Don't know if you guys have heard, but the crafting/research mechanics are being changed in the December update. The current research table mechanic is still in, but they are adding a tech tree to the workbench experiments which means you can target items rather than it be random.

Also apparently all blueprints will be wiped on all servers on January's forced wipe, including Facepunch officials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4aqlpCWS-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Trio servers are a bit of a trap i find. You don't get zergs obviously but you get a lot of experienced players in there.

If you play Facepunch officials you will get one or two groups which own the server (and in EU one are probably hacking), but you also get a lot of newer players which you can compete against.

Don't know if you guys have heard, but the crafting/research mechanics are being changed in the December update. The current research table mechanic is still in, but they are adding a tech tree to the workbench experiments which means you can target items rather than it be random.

Also apparently all blueprints will be wiped on all servers on January's forced wipe, including Facepunch officials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4aqlpCWS-E

Ahh, that's good to know. It's definitely true that the skill level has been high.

The blueprint update sounds fantastic. One of the most difficult parts for me is getting to better mining materials but only grabbing blueprints for lamps and such.

Let's talk about scrap for a noob - how does one gather it without just being blasted by guns and crossbows? I've found something that can take a while but seems safe to me - swimming out into the ocean and grabbing them from the varying barrel spawns. I also end up with quite a few scrap tools which can be useful for farming / are better than stone.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Mr. Stamos has graciously offered his discord for us to assemble. Throw a message in the discord if you’re here for the naked gatherings

https://discord.gg/KbYKYDST

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

mls posted:

Mr. Stamos has graciously offered his discord for us to assemble. Throw a message in the discord if you’re here for the naked gatherings

^ That's mine / me. Please feel free to join. There's a Rust-specific voice chat for now as well as a Rust-specific text chat for posting videos, tips, etc. I'll consolidate some channels later today / make them nested with one another. It's just a heaping mess of channels for my friends for now.

Note: I will boot anyone being a shitter and please PM if someone happens to act out.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Anasurimbur posted:

Ahh, that's good to know. It's definitely true that the skill level has been high.

The blueprint update sounds fantastic. One of the most difficult parts for me is getting to better mining materials but only grabbing blueprints for lamps and such.

Let's talk about scrap for a noob - how does one gather it without just being blasted by guns and crossbows? I've found something that can take a while but seems safe to me - swimming out into the ocean and grabbing them from the varying barrel spawns. I also end up with quite a few scrap tools which can be useful for farming / are better than stone.

One thing i would always recommend is setting up a shop as soon as you get a critical blue print (any T2 weapon, garage door, high walls, raid equipment etc). Sell them for scrap or other similar items you don't have blueprints for. Vending machines don't actually need electricity and cost like 3 gears and 20 HQM. Don't put so much in the machine that it is worth raiding.

Running monument puzzles gets you the most scrap, but obviously it's dangerous to go to them. The "better" they are means more loot, but more danger. Notable ones are:

Sewer Branch - 100% the best green card monument. Has a recycler inside the card room and there's about 8 crates inside. Also a med crate and a bunch of crates outside the room.
Train Yard - Most military crates for a blue room. Don't need a green key card
Water treatment - Decent blue room loot and also a ton of boxes that you don't need cards for. Also need zero rad protection. Like a primitive launch
Power Plant - Crap card loot but no one goes there so you should have the place to yourself. Also has a recycler in the card room.

The oil rigs are obviously great, but it's an investment to go there. It will at least get you some practice with the weapons. You will 100% get countered on Military Tunnels because of all the noise so don't bother without a group.

The absolute king of monuments is Launch Site. Ton of boxes, barrels and crude everywhere. Three puzzles (one with red keycard). You need to learn how to work around Bradley and there will be a lot of competition there, but as the only cost of looting it is some rad protection it's usually worth it.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

mls posted:

MLS and I started out on a freshly wiped 2x today. Had a blast tonight. Lots of deaths on our own part. Some kills, too. Managed to secure a nice little foothold and the pick / hatchet recipes so metal, sulfur, stone and wood are non-existent issues now.

MLS took a massive blow for the team but I think morale is still high despite the wound:

mls
Jun 6, 2006
Ahh something bit me

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm down to play forced wipe with folks here next thursday.

Edit: The discord link is expired.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 30, 2020

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Yea I'd be down for this too, if someone could refresh the discord link that would be awesome.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah please refresh the discord link.

Or maybe put a discord invite link in a private game servers thread?

We can even get a lil playtime in before the wipe to get ready for wipeday. :dance:

Edit: If you wanna swing me a server invite, my discord is Spacedad#3139

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 1, 2020

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
What time are you guys thinking of playing? I'm in the UK so will be a bout 5-8 hours ahead of NA. I think force wipe hits about 7PM GMT.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
https://discord.gg/ef8dDpyy

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

My apologies for the expiration on the link. I set this to not expire permanently:

https://discord.gg/G4ZQmFNBKX

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Cool, I joined up. See you tomorrow!

I'll be on earlier than the actual wipe so we can fart around a bit until the servers wipe.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

I've got the Discord setup connected to the GDN, now. I think this means we're legit, now, boys.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
You guys playing tonight?

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

You guys playing tonight?

Should be on.

I figure we should just jump into --something-- right now so I'm starting us out on a lower pop / non-crazy server that has a monthly wipe. This is obviously not a final location but purely to just get people on and involved. It has some neat things like furnace splitter, quick smelt, Trades built in, etc.

https://just-wiped.net/rust_servers/667683

This is just a temporary location, though, and we can discuss what we really want to play in discord / on here at everyone's leisure. I imagine we'll eventually choose something with a weekly wipe or whatever but I think starting slow will help us get the...

Rust...

off.

I'll see myself out.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
We have about 4 people on right now, got 2 or 3 bases. Now might be a good time to hop on discord and join us.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It is true. There are people on the discord who play the game at the same time on the same server. Very hospitable, good vibes 10/10 join the call

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I decided to check in on the game, but my tutorial tool tips are in progress from a year ago or whatever. Is there a way to reset the tooltips?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gooch181 posted:

I decided to check in on the game, but my tutorial tool tips are in progress from a year ago or whatever. Is there a way to reset the tooltips?

I believe if you turn them off and then on they reset. May be more helpful to just watch any of the 100 "how to start in Rust" videos.

I've got too many hours in Rust, and posted like half a year ago here but got no traction. I'd be down to join next wipe, I'll jump in the discord sometime later and keep an eye on where y'all are at :)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh the wipe happened yesterday. It is all wiped. Get in

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I tried that, no dice. Stuck on 'make a stone hatchet' even after I made one. Not a big deal most of it seems pretty straightforward.
Are all the servers just filled with completely relentless murder of clearly naked players when there's nothing to gain from it?
After getting murdered s few times I had a decent little 45min run before I stepped into a shotgun trap.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah assume that everyone will kill you. Also all servers just wiped so it's gonna be pretty cut-throat at the moment.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

With the help of Gooch181 and Luipold, we managed to build a secondary position close to airfield for scrap runs. That makes 2-3 scrapping machines relatively close by to that base. Later that night, Chinchilla took me / taught me how to run the big oil rig with the red key card. It was intense. After many scientists died we managed to score some outstanding loot for everyone. We're going to work on researching it as soon as possible but we'll have some awesome face armor, some sniper rifles, and a tier 3 SMG I think. It was way easier than I thought, and we had to leave a lot of loot behind because our greedy paws couldn't carry all of it back.

We should set up a time where more of us can do that together.

Gooch181 posted:

I tried that, no dice. Stuck on 'make a stone hatchet' even after I made one. Not a big deal most of it seems pretty straightforward.
Are all the servers just filled with completely relentless murder of clearly naked players when there's nothing to gain from it?
After getting murdered s few times I had a decent little 45min run before I stepped into a shotgun trap.

The general idea is that even a naked has the possibility of grabbing your loot and/or a gun and ruining your day. They might also have stone or metals. You can absolutely play where you don't kill them; but don't expect the same courtesy. I've seen plenty of nudes turn it around and actually secure a quick kill by grabbing a waterpipe shotgun or something similar.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Makes sense, it was just a bit shocking at first. I'm down to tackle the oil rig or some other cool spot sometime this week.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

We lost Chinchilla's base tonight. A group of 4-5 with some pretty crazy snipers + rockets rolled on by. We might need to stick to a trio group server or something until we can get more active folks online.

One thing I don't know if we want is for folks to ever feel like they MUST get online. lovely feeling that is. Whatever we can do to avoid THAT feeling is ideal. So, you know, more people. All the time. Brits. Pakistanis. New Zealanders. Hawaiians - everyone. 24/7 everyone goon goon goon goon.

Join us. We can make you sweet weapons and you can use them to shoot at people. It's fun!

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Not in a position to play for a bit, but this is a good 4 player server.

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/rust/3187223

Have had some very good times there!

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Getting raided is just like dying with an inventory full of loot, it's going to happen eventually. You can just mitigate it (building a solid base, being online 24/7, wiping your neighbours before they wipe you), but it is probably gonna happen so you just need to be able to roll with the punches.

The thing about the server we are currently playing is that 1) it is 2X, which means raids cost half as much, so you would need to build a base twice as strong/big 2) it's low pop so everyone can get hold of explosive BPs/scrap almost uncontested and scrap is more like 4X because of recycling 3) low pop also means that there are fewer target bases for people to raid.

It sounds strange, but bases tend to last longer on well populated vanilla servers because raiding a 20-24 rocket base is something only a few groups will achieve, but having a 20-24 rocket base is something a lot of groups will have. Basically there will be few predators and a lot of prey to hide amongst.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

Getting raided is just like dying with an inventory full of loot, it's going to happen eventually. You can just mitigate it (building a solid base, being online 24/7, wiping your neighbours before they wipe you), but it is probably gonna happen so you just need to be able to roll with the punches.

The thing about the server we are currently playing is that 1) it is 2X, which means raids cost half as much, so you would need to build a base twice as strong/big 2) it's low pop so everyone can get hold of explosive BPs/scrap almost uncontested and scrap is more like 4X because of recycling 3) low pop also means that there are fewer target bases for people to raid.

It sounds strange, but bases tend to last longer on well populated vanilla servers because raiding a 20-24 rocket base is something only a few groups will achieve, but having a 20-24 rocket base is something a lot of groups will have. Basically there will be few predators and a lot of prey to hide amongst.

No doubt. MLS and I gave a valiant effort to defend. We managed to kill 3-4 people before they blasted their way in. MLS dropped to a rocket. One more invader came in and I snapped him down before the jaws of death came for me.

One thing - neither of these bases had traps. I bet that would have helped a bit. I should have had those built up. Derp.

I might build a trap house solo for fun tomorrow morning near the dude who started the gank cascade. Just to see if he takes the bait...

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
We moved on to a high pop server that wiped today, wipes weekly, 2x gather and bp wipes monthly. Been ups and downs but the more the merrier. Now is a good time to join us.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Why the gently caress you lying OP?

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

New server has been awesome thus far. I think we raidin' folks tonight boyos. We've got the tools, we've got the talent!

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I think we're still sizing up our group and trying to find a comfortable server. I like the 2x servers now that I've played on them, I'm not a fan of this twice-weekly wipe schedule we got goin on thing. Plus we need to keep in mind group limits and figure out our core size. I don't wanna go to an 8-limit or no-limit server under the pretense of having 8 or however many and then oops there's actually only 3 of us regularly playing. Basically I'm saying log on and start playing with us so we can figure out how many fun units we can steal from others.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

But Not Tonight posted:

I think we're still sizing up our group and trying to find a comfortable server. I like the 2x servers now that I've played on them, I'm not a fan of this twice-weekly wipe schedule we got goin on thing. Plus we need to keep in mind group limits and figure out our core size. I don't wanna go to an 8-limit or no-limit server under the pretense of having 8 or however many and then oops there's actually only 3 of us regularly playing. Basically I'm saying log on and start playing with us so we can figure out how many fun units we can steal from others.

This is why I like the idea of a 4-limit server. A monthly BP wipe + 1 week wipe time seems ideal. It's not as if we can't commit help the others, either. People on the last server we were on still helped out or dropped items for bp research or whatever without getting banned.

Why only 4? Right now, we have people trickling in who are just checking out, or re-checking out Rust. They aren't necessarily committed to playing it but just want to check out or evaluate changes. We can help folks who are in that category but that way we don't rely on them. If we could get 8 consistent people I'd feel more comfortable going for that on a server.

By rely, I mean if we join an 8 person server we're going to get absolutely destroyed. I think the max we've ever had on has been 5 at one time, and that was already disorganized. There's just no way right now that we can counter any group that actually has 8 people let alone survive on a map with them. It'd be rocket city. That's especially true when some of us are noobs to Rust in general (me - making mistakes on door frames or not seeing someone in a bush), or learning the shooting mechanics, etc.

The 4-limit 2x seems like it's the ideal candidate until we can actually field active players. I had a lot of fun playing this past week and it'd definitely be awesome to have a consistent idea of who might be around.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As a tourist, yeah that text above mine seems about right. I enjoyed the hospitality, but like the main thing we can do for each other is to just set up duo or trips. I forgot how much rear end-in-chair time this game ~can~ require. It is magical but 72 hour weekend is about all I can commit to as an old man who has aged as much as this game.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Multiple small terror cells is the way to go. Less eggs in one basket, likely smaller oppositional groups, flexibility. I'm likely to be an occasional drop in but not a constant presence, ill just slot in and hack trees or blast fools as needed in whichever group has a spot, or even as an independent asset. Really the only loss is the friendly markers, if we have discord comms on we should be able to avoid too much fratricide.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Its been a LONG time since I played this game. Is it still a nightmare of offline raiding? I hated building up some little nook for myself just to find it destroyed by the inevitable insanely massive server clan that I didn't want to join because becoming a wood slave never sounded fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Would there be any reason to get this to play solo and offline (if that's even an option)?

I love these types of games but I hate the lovely PVP that normally comes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Inzombiac posted:

Would there be any reason to get this to play solo and offline (if that's even an option)?

I love these types of games but I hate the lovely PVP that normally comes with it.

There are tons and tons of servers with 0-10 pop. You can easily play this game and never see another person. Otherwise though no there is no offline solo play- maybe you could create your own server but I know nothing about that.