Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
There are PVE servers which have (pretty dumb) AI enemies and some non-KOS servers where PVP will only be at certain parts of the map.

The normal PVE (food, warmth, hydration, animals) is pretty shallow so i wouldn't expect like The Long Dark or whatever. The main survival aspect of the game is not dying from other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Skyarb posted:

Its been a LONG time since I played this game. Is it still a nightmare of offline raiding? I hated building up some little nook for myself just to find it destroyed by the inevitable insanely massive server clan that I didn't want to join because becoming a wood slave never sounded fun.

I'll take the silence to mean, yes, it's still the exact same. No idea how this game maintained popularity outside no lifers.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Skyarb posted:

I'll take the silence to mean, yes, it's still the exact same. No idea how this game maintained popularity outside no lifers.

If you are in even a duo you really do not need to no-life the game. You can have one heavy day to get you off the ground and then easily maintain the upkeep and PVP/Raid for the rest of the wipe.

I just finished a wipe on a vanilla, mid-pop, no-limit server. My base was 24 rockets to TC and there was one attempt at offlining on it (they ran out of explosive). I went days without playing and near the end would pop in for <1 hour of farming upkeep every 2-3 days and then a few hours raiding/PVPing.

Whether you are gonna be offlined is complicated and based on a bunch of factors, but you can build a base in line with the amount of loot you have and how long you want for it to survive and and it is 10x more costly resource wise to raid than it is to build. You cannot build a two-door, 2x2 right next to a monument and expect for it to be there in a week's time

It is less time intensive on 2X+ servers but raid costs are also lowered so I find bases survive less time on them.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Big events happening this month on twitch with Rust.

I'd love to play some of this wipe with goons for sure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I haven't really played this since it was good ie the beta, but with all the press figured I'd try it out.

Been trying to do the tutorials but they seem to not track progress in any meaningful way, ie you make a pickaxe when it says so then some undetermined time in the future it finally checks that off your list. Is this normal?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Facepunch are tools for selling out for the big name "content creators" and failing to help their own loyal streamer advertisers in the same way. This is pathetic to watch.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
The game currently has the highest ever total players so i don't think it's a bad thing

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

NaanViolence posted:

Facepunch are tools for selling out for the big name "content creators" and failing to help their own loyal streamer advertisers in the same way. This is pathetic to watch.

Doesn’t really seem like their fault if their ‘loyal streamers’ aren’t growing the game lol

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

NaanViolence posted:

eh who cares if streamers are having fun playing their game

anyways i haven't played this since 2013 and just played again last night, WOW rust is good now!!

so, should we get a faction going again? or is there one?

trashhaul
Sep 11, 2001
Can someone repost the discord links for the goon discord? The recent surge of popularity has me interested in playing but I've been having a hard time finding people to group up with.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

trashhaul posted:

Can someone repost the discord links for the goon discord? The recent surge of popularity has me interested in playing but I've been having a hard time finding people to group up with.

https://discord.gg/57EUJ5zj

That's the main one people have been using.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Where are goons playing? Drop a server name or or something.

BrotherLarry
Jan 10, 2020
We have a server running. Door Simulator 2k21, its password protected for now, but weve got a discord up and running
https://discord.gg/NsFDvrMR2f

There's also the other Discord people have been linking but they dont seem to be playing anymore.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I play quite a lot, but i'm i the UK and I'm guessing most people in here are NA so it's difficult to get sessions to match up. If you guys want to get a regular thing going I'd be up for popping in here and there.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Cheers, gonna get on there later tonight and have a gander. I’ll be in touch about the password

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

quick reminder there are skins available at twitch, for the low price of having some streamer on mute in the background of a tab for a couple hours

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Posted without comment.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

don't know about you guys but I'm diggin softcore mode. So much less stress.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

thunderspanks posted:

don't know about you guys but I'm diggin softcore mode. So much less stress.

Haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but want to. Do you play on a fun server?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Wipe day tomorrow - any goons active in this game want to have some wipe week funs?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
The title doesn't lie. Rust is good now.

This wipe, a combat update is going in which should remove scripters and make weapons easier to use.

I'm gonna be on US East Facepunch 1. I'm UK so may be offline during your peak times, but if you want to base near me we can keep an eye out on one anothers bases. I have most BPs on that server so let me know if you want something.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Combat update? The game has trains now, which is a little more appropriate for these forums demographics.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
New wounding state being added if you didn't jump up a cliff. Gives a better chance to standing up.

Being well fed and hydrated now gives a 25% bonus to chance of standing up now. Actually some what worthwhile now to eat/drink.

Having meds in your belt while down gives you another chance to stand up on the check i.e. if you go down and you roll a no on the chance to stand up, it consumes the meds and gives you another shot to stand up.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Now that there is the mechanic where you can crawl when injured I think that making the character scream in pain should be reinstated for when they're on their backs.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
There are pipes now to connect boxes to furnaces and auto sort stuff and stuff. Looks pretty neat. Are any goons still playing anywhere?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

thegoat posted:

There are pipes now to connect boxes to furnaces and auto sort stuff and stuff. Looks pretty neat. Are any goons still playing anywhere?

Yes, got back on after an eight year hiatus. The game is totally different now! We have a small squad and need more players if anyone wants to join us? We're on Rustinity 2x, no BP wipes, 4 person max squad only. It's a great active server.

I'm having to relearn the entire game, but doing well. Where is everyone playing at?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I was on Rustopia until hackers targeted I'd and the admins lied it investigating. Lol.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm dipping my toes back into this, after enjoying some of Welyn & Willjum's YouTube videos. There are plenty of PVE servers to get familiar with the mechanics and building techniques. I haven't played since the early days, so I figure there's a high chance I bounce off it again once I get back onto a PVP server.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’ve been playing on a RustForNoobs weekly server, and it’s been a fun way to learn. It’s pretty low-pop, so it’s dangerous, but you also have a good chance of being the only one at a monument. I’ve died a lot, but everyone is being pretty chill, and one dude let me come back and loot all my stuff.

Today, I managed to get the drop on a player and kill them. A goal accomplished! He was still in the primitive stage, so I left him some supplies instead of looting him. I’m learning how to preserve small gains, how to listen for other players, how to move around stealthily. The sound design is really good, and I love how dark it gets at night. It feels like a fun survival game. I wish there was more incentive to farm, build electrical systems, really anything other than building little bunkers.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Power Walrus posted:

I wish there was more incentive to farm, build electrical systems, really anything other than building little bunkers.

The electrical system is almost overpowered once you become efficient with setting it up. The electric furnace itself is so worth finding a solar panel for, especially for a solo; being able to crank out metal without wood is a godsend.

I normally play the game solo like a stealth shooter but if anyone wanted to goof around I'd be up for it.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ahhh yeah I could really use a furnace that doesn’t eat wood!
I would love to team up, but my game time is really unpredictable, so I’m going to stick to soloing for a bit.

How long of a wipe cycle do you play? I messed around with two weekly servers this week. The “solo only” one was so chill, almost too quiet. The “solo/duo” one was a nightmare of mega towers everywhere and kill teams wiping me anytime I was alive for longer than ten minutes. I could be wrong, but it feels like once you get a few days away from wipe, it’s hard to get a toehold.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Azerban posted:

being able to crank out metal without wood is a godsend.

100% this is why my group wants to work it in. Every raid we get tons of charcoal soooo

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
We have room for 1-2 more in our squad on server: Rustinity 2x, no BP wipe, 4-person squad group max.

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/rust/10519728

Our specialty is setting up trap bases with very complicated electrical systems (one of us is an actual electrician with 3000+ hours in the game) and vehicles. We're casually hardcore Rust players but love to do some crazy stuff. PM me if interested in hopping on with us for some crazy gaming and our small discord. We definitely need one (maybe two) more solid player that can help.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Monthly wipe in a few hours. :)

Edit: I'll make a thread within the next couple days too

Agoat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 1, 2024

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
We're getting a zerg going to poo poo it up. We're on an EU server but everyone on so far is from NA.

Most servers have weird modded settings so here we are. Biweekly with monthly BP wipe.

https://discord.gg/wBnh2q4ezw

Send me a DM on Discord when you join if you need an auth. Feel free to bring friends!

The more the merrier, let's be awful to pubbies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053394

New thread is up, accidentally posted it early but whatever!