Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Chum in the Water

The readings begin to slowly start edging from the periphery of Flashdrive's scans inward - six distinct readings showing below the horizon. As they speed along, those weird metal triangles appear once more, this time staying above ground, kicking dirt and soil as they follow along. Eventually, the six signals sprint ahead, crisscrossing across the road as asphalt breaks apart, those signals soon becoming quite clear as a group of robots leap from the dirt, one diving over the convoy!



IFF trackers immediately pick up on an old Quintesson designation: Sharkticon. However, these bots don't look anything like the design on record - then again, a few million years can lead to some drastic design changes! Continuing to pursue alongside the caravan, 5 of the readings are parallel to the road, with one veering perpendicular!

The one breaking off from the pack zips to the edge of the pavement, leaping from the dirt to try and bite down on the fastest target - Sidewinder!

quote:

/r 1d20+8+4 #Jaws of !Life!
@Rhyos: 1d20+8+4 Jaws of !Life! = (16)+8+4 = 28

/r 1d6 #Glitch
@Rhyos: 1d6 Glitch = (4) = 4

@Sidewinder (Inkspot): 1d20+6 DodgingSharks = (1)+6 = 7
@Sidewinder (Inkspot): 1d6 Glitch = (6) = 6

@Rhyos: 1d20+8 Chawmp = (20)+8 = 28
@Sidewinder (Inkspot): 1d20+3 GonnaNeedABiggerBot = (14)+3 = 17
@Sidewinder (Inkspot): 1d6 HPGlitch = (1) = 1

Caught unawares, Sidewinder (and Flashdrive, for that matter!) wind up in the clamping jaws of the Sharkticon! Teeth puncture armor with a surprising ease, the beast managing to topple and roll with the motorcycle. As their momentum grinds to a halt, the Sharkticon thrashes its head to and fro, circuitry sparking as a vital point is hit. Fortunately, the laser core keeps the spark intact, but the rear of the bike is easily sheared off, the damage sending Sidewinder immediately into stasis lock. Flashdrive pops free from the wreckage, and the single-minded Sharkticon seems content to poke around its' immobilized prey, not yet focusing on the remainder of the convoy.

Time to get some combat going! I'll handle initiative on a first-come first-serve basis. Feel free to come up with rolls for environmental happenings, or simply smash, bash, and slam it up! The rolls for Sidewinder just didn't play out well, but all is not lost!

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2019 around 00:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slam

Slam receives the ping and looks around, after a moment he notices the sharkicons, or whatever they were making their way toward his buddies on the ground. He was not happy. These things seemed to be sharkicons, red though, and they were attacking his friends.
As Sidewinder is bitten Slam lets out a bellow, flips his lower body up as he disengages his rotor, transforming his body to his anklyosaurus form. As he transforms he curls his body into something of a wrecking ball and plummets toward the sharkicon biting Sidewinder trusting in his hardy body and mass, combined with gravity to deal with this enemy.


quote:

/r 1d20+10 # Strength roll for attacking/landing on Sharkicon, assuming that makes sense
DicebotBOTToday at 10:09 PM
@Slam (Ryuujin): 1d20+10 Strength roll for attacking/landing on Sharkicon, assuming that makes sense = (7)+10 = 17
Slam (Ryuujin)Today at 10:10 PM
/r 1d6 # glitch die
DicebotBOTToday at 10:10 PM
@Slam (Ryuujin): 1d6 glitch die = (6) = 6

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

An Eye for an Eye

Slam is a simple-minded creature. Built for a singular purpose. He slams. He slams hard. And when done right, it is a truly glorious thing.

As the multiple-tonned ball of metal ankylosaur careens from the sky, the Sharkticon can only stare dumbfounded as he blots out the sun, his massive bulk hurtling into the ground like a bomb finding its target. Crushing the bot like so much tin, the impact forms a crater, fracturing the pavement into jagged shards that stick upward. The effortless smash causes one of the signals to panic and flee, the others streaking toward their fallen comrade. Soon, 4 more of the creatures burst from the ground, clawing and gnashing toward Slam, completely ignoring the downed Sidewinder, and disregarding Flashdrive entirely!


An Eye to the Sky

Shadowcaster has a knack for keeping tabs on... well, everything. Unfortunately, two of those tabs have gone dark. Sidewinder and Starfire's links have both gone down, the satellite receiving further data from the Guardian on the surface.

DIRECT CONTROL SIGNAL LOST
RESUMING PREDETERMINED PROGRAMMING
SUPPRESSION MODE ACTIVE
IDENTIFY AS ONE OF PRIMUS OR ONE OF UNICRON
YOU HAVE FIFTEEN SECONDS TO REPLY


Something must have escalated somewhere, and quickly.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Shadowcaster

Plot posted:

Sidewinder and Starfire's links have both gone down, the satellite receiving further data from the Guardian on the surface.
Things were going well, obviously. Shadowcaster sighs to himself, muttering into the vastness of space, 'Sprocket-burgling truck drat passenger-front door of a hitch.'. Would anyone return his signals?

Plot posted:

DIRECT CONTROL SIGNAL LOST. RESUMING PREDETERMINED PROGRAMMING. SUPPRESSION MODE ACTIVE. IDENTIFY AS ONE OF PRIMUS OR ONE OF UNICRON. YOU HAVE FIFTEEN SECONDS TO REPLY.
At least ground control was speaking to him again. He takes a moment to put a lid on his slowly boiling sass, and remixes his earlier communication.

Shadowcaster (the past) posted:

>> Rank 14 + 10 Energon = 24 >> Authentication.
'HIERARCHY: PRIMUS >> ALCHEMIST PRIME >> STUDENT >> AUTHENTICATION CODE LAMBDA ENIGMA SIERRA TWIN. POLITELY REQUESTING YOU CALM YOUR OIL SLICK.'

The situation on the ground seemed to be imploding, and who knows what might have happened to Starfire. He was useless to the ground crew at the moment, given the variety of planetary factors holding him back, which meant ... suicidal as it might be ... his only path forward involved Primespace. Starfire might be in need of some kind of assistance, and it seemed likely he might be able to find some way to aid the rest of his crew from within as well. Reluctantly, he alters course away from the planet, heading towards the asteroid base. He assumed the same force that had abducted Starfire would react similarly to repeat stimulus.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Status: Alt-Mode / Null-field Cloak / Jump Drive / Fuel Scoops
Resources: Energon (30)
Mission Log / Stellar Cartography
Mission Parameters: Resource Collection / Ship Repair / Planet Exploration / Rescue Starfire (on hold)
Solstice: Port Primary / Port Maneuvering / Starboard Primary (53% - sheared off) / Starboard Maneuvering (60% - sheared off) / Life Support / Communications (superficial stress fractures - no power) / Weapons (30% - no power) / Subsystems (47% - no power) / Fuel (10% -- LOCKDOWN - sheared off)
Asteroid Belt: Geodic Ruby Crystals
__________________________________________________________________________________________

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013



Flashdrive - Energon: 33

They readings moved. Flashdrive’s processors surged with fear. Something was wrong. Then the sharkticons rose from the dunes, and every light in the bot’s capacitors turned on at once. The same message was being sent to his core: PANIC

At least the incumbent people weren’t fighting them.

Flashdrive furiously attacked the sharkticons’ sensors. If there was any loop, or a backdoor, or a weak encryption, then the bot could buy them time. Maybe make the sharkticons miss their target by a few meters…

pre:
AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive)Today at 10:56 PM
/r 1d20+9 #scramble sharkticon sensors
DicebotBOTToday at 10:56 PM
@AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive):  1d20+9 scramble sharkticon sensors = (7)+9 = 16
AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive)Today at 10:57 PM
Burning 12 Energon to make it 28.
/r 1d6 #glitch
DicebotBOTToday at 10:57 PM
@AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive):  1d6 glitch = (3) = 3
Too late though the strike came, and Flashdrive was out of its port. Perception shrank, the world was bigger, and the bot suddenly scrambled for any kind of platform to jack back into. It heard the sound of metal against metal, and the chittering of some primitive language the sharkticons must be using. Something else though had to be done. Slam was there, but against six sharkticons, the bot needed backup. Flashdrive had to find something. Maybe a sharkticon with bad protection around its spark…

pre:
AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive)Today at 11:03 PM
Next is a powerlink roll
/r 1d20+9 #powerlink sharkticon?
DicebotBOTToday at 11:04 PM
@AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive):  1d20+9 powerlink sharkticon? = (10)+9 = 19
AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive)Today at 11:04 PM
1 Energon just in case.
/r 1d6 #glitch
DicebotBOTToday at 11:04 PM
@AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive):  1d6 glitch = (1) = 1
AnonymousIdiot (Flashdrive)Today at 11:04 PM
oof...
Wait... did sharkticons even have sparks?

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

And All the World is Blind

In the chaos, a loud electric whine can be heard, as all of the Sharkticons react as if punched directly in the nose. All but the crumpled heap that Slam left behind, that is. Using the opportunity, Flashdrive pounces... into the maw of one? If you wanted a tamper-proof datajack, you couldn't do much better than in the jaws of a shark! Socketing in, an immediate shriek to the sensors takes hold - guess they were still reeling from the disruption. Assuming direct control, Flashdrive receives the following messages:

Motor Control: Linked
Sensors: !!@@$%^&
Communication Uplink: INACTive
Protocols: LOCKED


Not much available, but being able to put those chompers to good use was quite the upgrade!

Spaaaaace

On disengaging with the Guardian, the lumbering hulk begins its transformation process, reverting to the launch/radar facility it had started as. Zipping through space, Shadowcaster finds the asteroid's space bridge in the exact same state as before, minor lighting active, but not much else. Having seen it earlier, however, there's far more knowledge about its activation. Namely passing in front of it. Surprisingly simple, given the nature of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Shadowcaster

Plot posted:

Spaaaaace
Steeling himself, Shadowcaster sets course for the asteroid -- taking the same course that Starfire had taken previously, so as to ensure he activated it in a similar way. It was hard to tell if he might be transported to a different 'part' of Primespace if he approached from a different trajectory, but there was no sense risking it, and he wanted to be on the trail of his missing crew member in case assistance was required.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Status: Alt-Mode / Null-field Cloak / Jump Drive / Fuel Scoops
Resources: Energon (30)
Mission Log / Stellar Cartography
Mission Parameters: Resource Collection / Ship Repair / Planet Exploration / Rescue Starfire (on hold)
Solstice: Port Primary / Port Maneuvering / Starboard Primary (53% - sheared off) / Starboard Maneuvering (60% - sheared off) / Life Support / Communications (superficial stress fractures - no power) / Weapons (30% - no power) / Subsystems (47% - no power) / Fuel (10% -- LOCKDOWN - sheared off)
Asteroid Belt: Geodic Ruby Crystals
__________________________________________________________________________________________

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«4 »